Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, it's never hard getting a game but the player base is small enough that I've played against the same people on multiple occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
As long as it is sustainable financially and I can get games at a decent clip I'm good with things. I like this game a lot- it's really unique.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
This is the game I've wanted since forever and basically doesn't exist anywhere else.

The only game I can think of that even tried to come close was Tactica Online in around 2005 iirc and that died on its arse.

So yeah, here's hoping it keeps on keeping on.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Am I just not understanding this right or, because I backed the wrong Helio team when I just started and knew nothing about the game, I can't do any daily missions because I don't have Helio Corps skin?

I like this game but that seems like a poor design choice.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

starkebn posted:

Am I just not understanding this right or, because I backed the wrong Helio team when I just started and knew nothing about the game, I can't do any daily missions because I don't have Helio Corps skin?

I like this game but that seems like a poor design choice.

No everyone gets a daily mission each day that has you play 3 matches or whatever as the character you choose, and doing that awards you the skin. Your trust pick didn't matter, but make sure you have open slots for your 3 daily missions so you can accept them. The 10 matches with a trust skin is a separate thing, that's just using helio united, evos, warbotics, or omni skins when playing matches.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

No everyone gets a daily mission each day that has you play 3 matches or whatever as the character you choose, and doing that awards you the skin. Your trust pick didn't matter, but make sure you have open slots for your 3 daily missions so you can accept them. The 10 matches with a trust skin is a separate thing, that's just using helio united, evos, warbotics, or omni skins when playing matches.

I don't know why my brain combined the two, the skin is clearly in the rewards section of the daily task

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

New skins and stuff coming Tuesday, I especially love the Garrison skin, PuP is pretty good too.

https://twitter.com/AtlasReactor/status/847242867860832256

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
Daft Pup is the best skin in game bar none

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Some of these days you just get teammates into moba erotic roleplay on chat.

PS. What is good about Phaedra? I know she's decent, but on paper she looks pretty Brynn-tier with that pitiful damage and awkward targeting template.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I don't play her but she is pretty irritating to play against in that her heal is really powerful in the right hands, she normally slows you the turn before you get extra damage when hit again, and of course being able to hit through walls and cover. I still fear Rampart more in good hands and on a coordinated team.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I always felt like phaedra was one of the better heroes, all her base abilities are like other heroes' similar abilities but better. Only her ultimate feels a bit weak compared to others.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Are there any good guides to read on improving? I get the general basics, like not running out and getting blown up instantly, and trying to avoid key enemy death turns and looking at cooldowns, but like... I don't seem to have the tactical mindset yet to really consistently impact games and squeeze wins out.

I've been on a really bad tear lately (like 30% in my last 50 games or so) and I'm struggling to figure out how to assess what I'm doing wrong. I usually play shootmans or support, though I've been playing tanks when quests want me to do so or trying to get people to 4 for moneys. I seem to do okay on shootmans and healing (except when I play Helio, I'm like 1-8 on him haha), but my frontline winrate is like 10% too. How do I start thinking about what I can do better? I mostly feel lost.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

What frontlines are you playing? My experience with frontline is that they either click with me and I am really good with them, or I am terrible. I love the mobility and stealth chasing in Titus. Honestly when playing frontline, my primary concern is if the healer knows what they are doing. If not, I have to play it almost like a firepower.

Woli wrote up some good guides for general play, but prepphase.com looks to be down, I wonder if it changed hands. The gist of most of it is stay in cover and move with your team, which is very random for pugs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I play frontlines mostly, because no one else wants to play them in ranked, so it's what I end up filling as. I think the #1 thing to keep in mind with them is that while your job is to be disruptive, you are still not supposed to get hit. In a game where 200 damage extra damage over 20 turns is the difference between a win and a loss, taking 20 damage on a turn that you didn't need to take is really a bad thing to do. So if you're going to take that damage, you need to get more for your investment than you're giving up to the other team.

I think a lot of people don't get that with frontline, you are still supposed to be a dodgy motherfucker or bait attacks into shielding. So if you are gonna be mixing it up, be Rampart, Rask, or Asana, and use their abilities that prevent damage. Use knockbacks to get enemies killed, not just to knock them around. If you're Rampart, try to coordinate with a Helio to pull people through a barrier. That kind of poo poo. It's your job to disrupt, but at the end of the day it's everyone's job to hurt the other team without getting hit. If you see frontline and think "the guy who takes the damage" then you're playing them wrong in my opinion.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Lichtenstein posted:

PS. What is good about Phaedra? I know she's decent, but on paper she looks pretty Brynn-tier with that pitiful damage and awkward targeting template.

she's one of the strongest lancers in game and almost always banned in ranked alongside Quark.

no need of LoS to attack, decent range, a prep phase crowd control that primes a solid burst on the following turn, a completely bonkers dash ability, and virtual immunity to focus fire. she can put consistent pressure on multiple targets at a time and is extremely tough to scratch.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Dragongem posted:

Are there any good guides to read on improving? I get the general basics, like not running out and getting blown up instantly, and trying to avoid key enemy death turns and looking at cooldowns, but like... I don't seem to have the tactical mindset yet to really consistently impact games and squeeze wins out.

I've been on a really bad tear lately (like 30% in my last 50 games or so) and I'm struggling to figure out how to assess what I'm doing wrong. I usually play shootmans or support, though I've been playing tanks when quests want me to do so or trying to get people to 4 for moneys. I seem to do okay on shootmans and healing (except when I play Helio, I'm like 1-8 on him haha), but my frontline winrate is like 10% too. How do I start thinking about what I can do better? I mostly feel lost.

your two main roles as a frontliner are being the easiest target for the enemies to hit (if you're in their face, they will have a harder time hitting anyone else but you), and providing vision for your team. this doesn't mean you should just rambo in and hope for the best: try to position yourself in ways that minimise damage taken on the subsequent turn, apply slows/roots and reveals when you're sure it will disrupt enemy positioning (like, if they're behind cover and you feel they're gonna go for the next cover that's 4 squares away, slow them and they'll be out in the open for the next turn, which in the worst case forces them to dash, in the best allows your shootmans to focus fire for full damage). frontliners are arguably the hardest class to play since you have to be the most proactive on your team without crossing the line of recklessness. learn when to disengage and learn to predict where your target will try to move. NEVER use follow if you can help it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Big patch today for season 3. I haven't played the new lancer at all but looks interesting. New catalysts, the best alt game mode is back, badge system to gently guide people to play their lancers the right way, new map, phaedra nerfed a bit. Good patch.

quote:

Season 3
Much to Helio’s dismay, a brand new Trust has taken up residence in Atlas. Hyperbotics, a collective that fuses the remnants for Warbotics with the resources of the former Hyperion empire, has arrived.
Season 3 has begun!!

Check out all-new challenges and missions.
New skins are available for Kaigin, Phaedra, Su-Ren, Blackburn, Rask, Oz, and Rampart. Earn them through special Warforged Loot Matrices.
New skins will be available for ISO after the chapter has ended.
Earn a “Salty” Overcon just for logging in during the event!

New Freelancer: Meridian, the Herald of Hyperion

Whispers of the “miracle maker from Hyperion” preceded Meridian’s arrival in Atlas.
He is a melee support that wields a giant hammer and is built to defend his allies with the light of Hyperion.
His presence inspired immediate loyalty from a number of Freelancers – Brynn in particular. He’s also been seen frequently at Zuki’s Flying Junkyard, which has created much gossip over whether or not he’s had any work done. (For the record, when asked, the prideful automaton insists he’s 100% original).
NOTE: his Golden Age skin and Master skin are coming soon! They were delayed due to a last minute issue. #BlameJames

Extraction Is Back
The game mode for chapter 1 is Extraction!
Get the case to your extraction zone and reap the rewards.

Ranked
Ranked Season 2 has ended. Season 3 Ranked will start on May 23 (and will be off until that date).
Players will receive Prestige Points and emblems based on their rankings during Season 2.

Stats
Check out the robust new stats system!
We now track a wide variety of general stats and 4 Freelancer-specific stats for each Freelancer.
On the end of match screen, you’ll be able to compare stats from that match to your average and personal best.
The Player Profile, accessed by clicking on your own banner from the landing page, houses a whole litany of stats to allow you to see how each Freelancer compares to each other.
NOTE: many stats are not retroactive. You’ll have to start from Season 3!
The badge system and global stat comparisons will be arriving soon(™). We need data to populate the system before badges and global comparisons will have real value.

Achievements

Atlas Reactor now has Achievements!
Check them out in the progression menu (click your banner in the front end).
Steam users will receive Steam Achievements for each Atlas Reactor achievement.
Expect to see new achievements in future chapters as we’ll be expanding them over time.
KNOWN ISSUE: Oz’s achievement currently does not complete. We are working on a fix.

New Map: Hyperforge
Wage war in a hi-tech armory where the open battleground and generous camouflage make for tense, wide-ranging skirmishes.
Hyperforge has the first ever rotating power-up. Each time it is picked up it will spawn as a different power up the next time (on a specific cycle, it is not random).
All game modes are supported on Hyperforge.

New Catalysts
There are an entirely new set of catalysts for Season 3!
Prep
Critical Shot – One of the perfect ones. It remains as it was.
Brain Juice – has moved to Prep and now reduces cooldowns by one. Prepare to… take more damage.
Second Wind – Has moved to Prep and now heals for 30 over 3 turns.
Regenergy – Give energize for the turn. Particularly interesting in quick ult builds.
RIP Turtle Tech, we hardly knew ye.
Dash
Shift – The 2nd perfect one. It remains as it was.
Fetter – Now does 10 direct damage in addition to rooting.
Fade - The final perfect one. It remains as it was.
Regroup – Teleport a long distance to an ally.
Additionally, all shift catas will display their icon on the ground when used, to make it more clear what each player has used.
Blast
Probe – Gives vision in an area for 2 turns and can see through camouflage.
Echo Boost – Increases the duration of buffs on you for 1 turn. Rampart tested, Blackburn approved.
Adrenaline – Gain unstoppable until the end of the turn. You’re the Juggernaut, dawg.
Chronosurge – Slow all nearby enemies and gain haste. Gotta go fast!

Reconnecting
We’ve made some big changes under the hood to reconnecting.
Disconnects should be less frequent, as we now auto-reconnect you if your connection suffers a small drop in activity.
Fixed a few general reconnect bugs.
AI Bot improvements!
Bots had a number of improvements, including:
Quark will no longer use crit shot on the same turn he ults.
Ranged freelancers now prefer cover positions.
They will now prefer to shift into brush.
Ranged freelancers with high health will needlessly dash less.
Bots will consider if a square is occupied when shifting.
Bots will be less likely to dash if already in cover.
Helio is smarter about using his shield on allies.
and more!

General

General and All chat is now restricted for new players until they player play 5 matches.
Alt-clicking an ability icon on your ability bar will now print information to chat, including the ability name, cooldown, and energy status for ults. Use this to let your teammates have more information quickly.
You can now select your language preference from the Options menu (instead of through Glyph).
Fixed some issues where the incorrect Fill skin was selected after completing a game.
Fixed an issue where death VFX and SFX were playing again on the game over screen, making you feel double-bad.
Changed some text that was previously all caps. SORRY, WE WEREN’T TRYING TO YELL.

Balance

Frontline

Phaedra:
We think Putrid Spray is more fun with 2 turns for the base duration. Damage has been reduced to compensate. Mending Swarm now has a cap, which we will be tuning over time.</
Mending Swarm
- Now has a maximum heal of 60 (30 max each turn).
Putrid Spray
- Duration increased from 1 to 2.
- Damage reduced from 20 to 15.
- Hive mod – removed.
- Big Bugs - damage increase reduced from 5 to 3.

Rask:
Check out that knockback upgrade.</
Maul
- Damage increased by 2.
- Beastial mod - Damage reduced by 2.
Upheaval
- Move cursor in or out to adjust knockback distance between 1 and 4.

Support

Aurora:
Ion Cloud now has healing by default to increase mod flexibility.
Shock Therapy
- Damage increased from 18 to 20.
Ion Cloud
- Heals all allies for 4 by default.
- Invigorating Cloud - increases heal from 4 to 6. Now costs 2 points.
- Extra turn duration mod cost from 1 to 3

Dr.Finn:
Finn is getting a slight buff, and a more useful 1 pointer on his ult.
Refreshing Spray
- Can change in size, similar to water spout. Now heals for 24 at the widest (the same template it currently is) and 30 at the narrowest.
Electrifying Eels
- Ignore cover.
- Damage reduced from 24 to 20.
Maelstrom
- Cast Off Mod - No longer causes knockback. Now causes Finn to be unstoppable until end of turn.

Khita:
Resonance Burst
- Focused Burst Mod - Extra shielding reduced from 10 to 6.
Vaulting Shot
- Survivalist Mod - No longer reduces cooldown. Increases damage from 20 to 26.

Quark:
We like Quark as a high regen character. We’re tuning his max health to increase his fragility
- Reduced maximum health from 140 to 130.
Atomic Bond
- Sharing is Caring Mod - Healing reduced from 3 to 2.

Firepower

Blackburn:
Blackburn has been consistently performing well, especially after the recent changes that improved the strength of Blitz. A slight damage reduction will put him on more even footing with other firepowers.
Proteus Grenade

- Damage reduced from 28 to 25.
Juno:
Juno can put out the hurt but her Laser Barrage feels overshadowed by her other abilities. A slight boost should make people think twice about getting in range of her miniguns.
Laser Barrage
- Damage increased by 2.

Zuki:
The Big One
- Regenerating Ammo Mod - No longer reduces the cooldown. Now grants 6 energy on cast. This mod was meant to be new player friendly, but ended up magnifying their inexperience.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I absolutely loved to play this and have no idea why I'm not doing so.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah this game deserves a lot of love, I've been playing it quite a bit.

I do wish the currency gain was a tad faster, but at least they're generous with the free to play rotation.

Also I am so glad Phaedra's mending swarm got capped. It was so annoying to see him regenerate most of his health bar :mad:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
New ranked season! Time to actually give ranked a shot and see how bronze I am.

Also, I'm convinced that Elle is "that character" who everyone thinks they're soooooo good at and are absolute trash. I hate seeing one on my team :v:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just play all characters and I'm trash at all of them

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I'm good at Celeste, probably because I love grabbing all the powerups and I like the prediction of the trap, gotta be cool with running away though. PuP is like the alter ego that heals more the deeper he is in the poo poo. I agree on Elle though, you don't see many good ones and her kit isn't that bad.

Liking the post-match stuff now with personal bests and badges.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

So it's a small community that plays this gem of a game, but wanted to post here that the packs are on sale with the summer sale hoopla. So if you ever played and liked it, but couldn't buy a pack and didn't want to play without all the lancers, you can get the all lancers pack for $7.50 right now.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

also if you want to upgrade your account to that $100 buy-in, it costs $17.50 to do so right now

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Supposedly they're giving away elle, aurora, and titus if you log in during july 6-9 as part of some 4th of july event

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The new character on the main screen is literally an anime upskirt shot, where is this game going? :/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

starkebn posted:

The new character on the main screen is literally an anime upskirt shot, where is this game going? :/

*logs into game to play for the first time in a while*

Well, I don't know what I was expecting

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
A catgirl is definitely what this game was lacking.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nickiepoo posted:

A catgirl is definitely what this game was lacking.

Unfortunately, I am seeing this on a different level. When I see this character, I see all the stuff that's annoyed me the most about what's been popular in the super anime fan world for the past like 5 years. Final Fantasy 14, those dumb cat ear headphones, and Me!Me!Me!

On the other hand, she's really fun to play and I enjoy playing characters that are annoying to other players.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

The weebdom ruins everything

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Unfortunately, I am seeing this on a different level. When I see this character, I see all the stuff that's annoyed me the most about what's been popular in the super anime fan world for the past like 5 years. Final Fantasy 14, those dumb cat ear headphones, and Me!Me!Me!

I loved it as a teen but lets be real; anime is poison to the soul.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

That's ok, the Dino Lancer will be here soon and you can kill the catgirl with it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I saw the all freelancers deal and I was like "well, I'll get it tomorrow"

that was the last day of the deal :(

Also even though the catgirl is all anime she looks really fun to play with the discs and the boomerang mechanics.

Eltoasto posted:

So it's a small community that plays this gem of a game, but wanted to post here that the packs are on sale with the summer sale hoopla. So if you ever played and liked it, but couldn't buy a pack and didn't want to play without all the lancers, you can get the all lancers pack for $7.50 right now.

It's kind of a bummer the community's so small, this game deserves a lot more love than it gets. At least I still get games in a reasonable amount of time!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I don't know what's going on with prep phase's website, but someone made a website to make and share builds on, and this post on reddit by one of the better tourney teams lists a bunch of builds that they use as standards. I mean Atlas builds aren't super tough or anything, but it's always interesting to see what other people are thinking.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

new patch: http://steamcommunity.com/games/402570/announcements/detail/1447200997502627424

new game mode where you control all 4 characters

new hamster character

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

starkebn posted:

new hamster character

you mean maniacal evil laser hamster character

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

inflatable fish posted:

you mean maniacal evil laser hamster character

With a punny name!

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Since you guys are talking about people who are crappy with Elle, any tips? I feel like I do ok but I rarely have the best damage on my team or anything. Been using the triple charge mod on her dash but I'm not sure what else is good.

Just got back into the game after not playing for a while. It's still awesome.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Blisster posted:

Since you guys are talking about people who are crappy with Elle, any tips? I feel like I do ok but I rarely have the best damage on my team or anything. Been using the triple charge mod on her dash but I'm not sure what else is good.

Just got back into the game after not playing for a while. It's still awesome.

what I use on Elle: +5 single target damage on primary, triple roll, haste on overcharge, cooldown on drone, and free overcharge on ult. if you want to get good results with her, you have to learn when to overcharge and reposition (haste mod on OC means a 12 square move, you can literally run to the other end of the map). also, use roll wisely - oftentimes it's better in the long run to just #1 people and take more damage this turn to move out of dodge, overcharge and reposition on the next. roll only if it guarantees you're safe next turn, and/or to juke dash phase damage like Titus's charge (if he doesn't hit you, he's stuck for 4 turns without a gap closer) or Wood's ult (for obvious reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
log in between today and Monday the 9th to get a heap of free poo poo for AR's 1-year anniversary \o/

• Locked thread