Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Pepper Pickerbee aka Ghost

Say Cheese!

When I was a little girl, I remember all the stories my dad would tell me about mom. I remember him telling me how she never gave up no matter how dire the situation got, how she always smiled when things were at their grimmest, and how she never stopped fighting to protect people, not till the bitter end.

I remember always listening intensely to all his stories. I remember how much I looked up to her. I remember how much I wanted to be like her.

I also remember looking up more stories about my mom, which led me to look up the heroes who worked with her, which led me further to look up the heroes who worked with those heroes, and that might've led me to develop a bit of a hero obsession.

Maybe.

Growing up, I was told time and time again by so many different people that there was no way I'd ever become a hero. After all, I wasn't all that physically fit, I'm not some super-prodigy genius, and I can't shoot lasers out of my eyes. All I can do was phase through objects and that's sure not going to impress anyone at parties.

But gosh darnit that's not going to stop me! I try to help wherever I can! Even if doesn't end up going great most of the time and all I do is almost give my dad a heart attack.

And if there's a hero around, I'll sure as heck be around too! Sure, I guess it ends up with me getting into too many bad situations, but at least I got some cool photos for my scrapbook!

But now I've got my chance. I've been given a once in a lifetime opportunity to take part in the Harmony Project, and I can finally prove that someone as small and mundane as I am can be a hero, just like my mom.

quote:

How did you gain your skills?
I've always been able to phase since I was little. It was almost... by instinct, I guess? My body would just "phase out" the moment I was in any danger, and I was never really able to control it, not until...

quote:

Who scouted you for The Heroes of Harmony Project? What did you do to impress them?

...My old boss, Cassidy Gammon taught me and oh my god she is the coolest!

I used to work as a part-time photographer for a small newspaper outlet called The Fuseon Chronicles, and Ms. Gammon was my boss. She's an old friend of my mom, and, as it turns out, she's a hero too! And she's just like me!

Well, just like me in that she doesn't have any powers anyways.

Ms. Gammon was actually a hero who goes by the name of Shadow Raven, a master of weapons and many different form of martial arts. It is said that she can turn even the most normal everyday thing into a deadly weapon, and she once fought off an army of brainwashed gorillas with nothing but gum and a frying pan!

(She insists that none of this is actually true but I know she's just being modest.)

But more importantly, she said I had potential, and she would help me grow to reach it.

Me! Someone who's been told all her life that I should give up on my dreams, is being told that I have potential by a real, honest-to-god hero! I almost can't believe it!

quote:

When did you first put on your costume?
As soon as I could! My dad made it for me as soon as I told him where I was going, and sure it's not the flashiest costume around, but it's practical and means a lot to me.

quote:

Why did you decide to join The Heroes of Harmony Project?

Are you kidding me? How could I NOT join? This is an opportunity for me to show everybody what I've got, and that I've got what it takes!

quote:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

This girl, Alexandra Esperon, and hoo boy, let me tell you about her.

Alex is a big shot psychic, and let me tell you, she's not a very nice person.

Ever since I've known her, she's had it her head that "normies" like me should be grateful that there are people like her looking out for us. After all, if it wasn't for people with powers there's no way we would have ever progressed as much as oh god I'm going to vomit if I continue.

She's also been the most... outspoken person against me. Reminding me time and time again that there's nothing wrong with being "lesser," and I should just accept the "boring" life I've been "destined" to live. Even now, she thinks my acceptance to the project is a joke, and that they just let me in because they "pity" me.

Yea well, I'll show you who's the fool around here. I'll make you eat those words and admit you're wrong!

I hope.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
Aside from the obvious (I want to be like my mom etc), I want to show people that you don't have to have powers to become a hero. I want to inspire people, whether it be by my actions or my photographs.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
Because they're good people! Or at least, I hope they are. I'm just excited to work with a team, and I just know, if we all work together, we can accomplish something great.

quote:

How do you feel about the other side? What do you find interesting about the other side?
They're just so different I don't even know if I can wrap my head around it. They use magic! Magic! There are dwarves! Elves! Pixies!

I want to know more about them. I want to know their magic works, how they live, and what their heroes are like. I'm excited to learn more about these things, and of all the great photo opportunites too!

quote:

Where’s your favourite place to be in Harmonia? Do you miss your old home?
I miss my dad, and the old gang back at The Fuseon Chronicles. I keep in touch with them from time to time, but it's hard not to be homesick.

As for my favorite place, there's this place called Little Riavell. It's a small area where a bunch of folks from Riavell live. It's not perfect, but just enough to feel "just like home" as the people there have told me.

I try and visit whenever I can, and when I do I make sure to stop by The Green willow, a restaurant that makes the most delicious steaks! And everybody is so friendly too, especially the owner, an old elf called Finwe. He even lets me hang my photos on the wall!

quote:

(Optional) What’s your character’s theme song?
https://youtu.be/SVhvHsIk5xA

quote:

(Optional) What are you doing in the anime opening?

Pictures fly by of the main cast hanging out with each other, doing various activities together. After that, individual photos of the cast start flashing in one by one, showing them all in costume and trying to put their game faces on, with a few who probably try and fail at it. Finally, the last picture flashes in, and it's of Ghost, holding a camera close to her face, as she takes a group selfie with everybody.

Near the end of the opening, Ghost would be setting up a camera stand. Afterwords, the scene would change to show the group getting ready for the shot. Ghost phases through the camera to get into position. There's a flash, and then we see the final picture. The camera lingers on it for a moment, before it zooms out to reveal a wall of pictures, with the team photo in the middle of it all.

quote:

Hero Name: Ghost (Temp name once she thinks of something better, she hopes.)
Private Name: Pepper Pickerbee
Mask: the Beacon
Looks: Woman, white, smiling face, simple clothing, practical costume.
Abilities: Phasing, camouflage and stealth.

Freak: -1
Danger: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +0
Mundane: +3

Moves:

Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Advancement

Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll +Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Drives
- help a teammate when they most need you Gained potential.
- get a new hero name
- earn the respect of a hero you admire
- reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here” Gained influence over Alexandra.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ghost

quote:

What aspect of Harmonia makes you feel like an outsider?

Everybody is so special and I'm... well, I'm not. I can turn my body intangible and... uh, I'm good at taking pictures?

Ms. Gammon assures me I belong here, just as much as anybody else, but it's hard to believe that sometimes. I just feel like, one day, they're all going to realize that, oh right, I'm actually worthless. I contribute nothing to the team, and all I'm good for is getting in the way, and the only reason they're letting me stay for this long is because they respect my past mother and not me.

I try not to think about it so much, and I just tell myself I'm worrying over nothing, but sometimes those doubts have ways of creeping right back in, and when they do, boy is it never a fun time.

quote:

What keeps you motivated, even when the odds look to be impossible?

I want to say I'm doing it for dad and my friends, or memories of my mom, but the honest answer is... I don't want people like Alexandra to be right about me.

If I fail, if I give up, I'll just be proving their point, that "normies" like me have no chance at being heroes, and I just don't want that.

I want to show them, I want to show the world that, hey, guess what, you don't need big flashy powers or a big flowy cape with a fancy logo on it to be a hero. Sure, things will be a lot harder for you, but that shouldn't stop you from trying your hardest darn it!

That's what keeps me going, no matter how grim things look. I can't afford to give up no, not until I've proven myself to everybody.

quote:

Out of everyone in The Heroes of Harmony, who do you hold the deepest respect for?

Let me tell you about Ophelia Caldwell, aka Sabre Knight, and how she is the coolest person on the planet.

She's like, a modern day swashbuckler, jumping headfirst into danger with a smile and a witty retort. She always puts the lives of others over her own, and she never backs down from a fight.

And have you seen how she fights? The way she twirls and twists around make it look more like a dance. With swords!

Oh and did I forget to mention that she has a magic talking sword? Because she has a talking magic sword that can manipulate lightning!

She is the bravest and coolest person I've ever met and I can only hope to be even half as amazing as her.

I might've also dedicated a whole section of my room to pictures of her, but it's only because I admire her so much!

quote:

So, what happened to your mother? Is she still a hero or did something happen to her?

My mom passed away while I was little.

Oh, I guess I forgot to talk about who my mom was, didn't I? My mom, Rebecca Pickerbee, was known as The Guiding Bell. She had the power to manipulate her body in any number of ways, from making it rubbery to as hard as steel, or even turning her body intangible (which is the only power I inherited from her, I guess).

As for what happened... well, according to my dad and her close friends, mom sacrificed herself to save millions. There was some anti-Riavell terrorist group calling themselves Eclipse who were threatening to release a virus that had some kind of devastating affect on the people there, but my mom stopped them before they could do any harm, at the expense of her own life.

Nobody heard from Eclipse since then. People like to think that the blow my mom left crippled them and they were never able to recover from it. They called her a true hero and a savior; a shining beacon that heroes should strive to be like.

As for me? I'm proud of her, sure, but I just miss her, a lot.

She also left me with some really big shoes to fill, so no pressure there.

quote:

Has there been a time where your actions have accidentally impeded a hero or group of heroes?

Ahahah... yea, about that...

I was out one day with Ms. Gammon. I kept annoying asking her to introduce me to Ms. Caldwell, so I could, you know, learn about what makes a hero tick and not use this as an excuse to meet Ms. Caldwell in person and act like a nervous fangirl near her. After weeks of non-stop badgering, Ms. Gammon finally broke and set up a meeting.

Oh my god I thought, I'm going to meet her! I'm actually going to meet her! I'm going to meet my idoI!

On our to the meeting point, we heard an explosion. Ms. Gammon, almost on instinct, rushed to where she heard the sound, and I followed closely behind. Turns out a couple of bad guys took over a building and were taking the people inside as hostages, and the explosion was them setting off one of the bombs to show off how serious they are.

Ms. Gammon looked at me for a moment, and told me to go hide somewhere safe. I don't have enough experience yet, and I'm better off just letting her handle it for now. She made me promise that I would stay put and not do anything dangerous.

That promise lasted for about 3 seconds.

This is my chance, and I'm going to take it! I'll show Ms. Gammon that I have plenty of experience already! Besides, how can a bunch of people with guns hurt me, my body can phase right through it!

To make a long story short, things got... a little hectic.

It is a miracle that no one actually died that day, despite all that happened. Ms. Gammon and I came close to it a few too many times during that whole disaster, but we managed to survive thanks to a last minute save from Ms. Caldwell (ahhh!!).

If anything, at least I've learned that I should never rush in without a plan, as Ms. Gammon would make sure I would never forget. Ever since that incident she made sure to remind me, every day, but at least she's saying it with less angry words now!

quote:

What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen in Harmonia?

Old Oak, the Living Tree.

It's a giant, living, breathing tree. That talks.

Oh, and there's also a small, multi-layered city inside of him that was built by sentient saplings.

No matter how many times I ask him I still have no idea how any of this works.

quote:

Outside of the Heroes of Harmony, who would you trust your life in Harmonia?

Oh, that's easy, it's my best friend Marcy!

Marcy and I have been friends since we were kids, and we've always been close, even if we tend to disagree with each other. A lot.

See, Marcy doesn't actually care about heroes. She thinks the whole Harmony Project thing is nothing but a waste of time and effort, and nothing will actually come out of it.

That's fine. It's okay for people to be wrong sometimes.

All that aside, there's nobody I trust more than her. Sure, she can be really stand-offish at times, and a bit rude, and she spends way more time with machines than people, but I can always depend on her to be there for me. She always stuck up for me when people like Alexandra were talking me down, and she's always there whenever I need help.

Heck, she even moved to Harmonia just so I wouldn't feel completely alone (and she was also getting tired of our old town).

When it comes to people I know, there's no one I trust more than her.

Even if she is wrong 90% of the time.

quote:

What has been your proudest achievement during your time in Harmonia?

Oh good, a story I won't feel embarrassed talking about!

It happened suddenly. I was out shopping, when a fight broke out between a hero called Silver Streak and a big tough ugly guy called Metalhead. The fight didn't last long, as Metalhead got one good punch in on Silver Streak, knocking him right out.

That wasn't enough for the guy. He wanted to break Silver Streak in front of us. Metalhead wanted to make a show of it, and he knew none of us could do anything but watch.

And I knew, I knew I had to do something, but what? I'm an average built girl with a crappy last minute superhero name and he's a big, hulking muscle-head with skin made of literal iron. There's no way I could take him head on.

That's when I flash backed to the hostage incident a couple of weeks ago, and I remembered the lessons Ms. Gammon drilled into me after that day.

I need to calm down. Think. Assess the situation. What can I use to my advantage?

I'm not sure when it happened, but I ended up unconsciously holding my hands up like a camera frame. It was almost like I was trying to focus on the perfect shot, and trying to find the right angle.

It was time to take the shot.

I knew I couldn't fight him one on one, so I had to use his own size against him. Once I got his attention, I lead him around to small alleyways he couldn't get past, I set up traps to distract and frustrate him, I used my phase ability to trick him into ramming into solid walls.

Things didn't go perfectly, and it got a little close at times, but it was enough. I stopped him from hurting Silver Streak any further, and I bought enough time for others to arrive and help.

It took me a bit to realize what I've done, and once I did a whole flurry of emotions and thoughts hit me all at once.

Oh my god I can't believe I actually did that! Oh God I could've died! Oh my God I could have died! Was that awesome? I think that was awesome. It wouldn't of been awesome if I died. But I didn't die, so it's awesome!

I did it. I don't know how, but I did it. I managed to help without making the situation worse. I saved someone and I did it on my own terms! Maybe I can actually be a hero after all!

It was the boost I needed, and I don't think I ever felt prouder than I ever did that day, and as a celebration of my victory, I made sure to take a picture of me standing next to a chained up Metalhead, making a memento of our good times together.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 20, 2016

• Locked thread