Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:freep: :supaburn: Skip here for the current topics to debate or attempt to influence your delegate

Article V of the Constitution posted:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

:siren::siren:We're gonna re-write the constitution!:siren::siren:

The time is now, present day. A mixture of right-wing conservative states in conjunction with deep-pocketed interests like the Kochs have joined with a few vindictive liberal states and gotten the necessary 38 states needed to call for a Constitutional Convention. The game is set in modern day, but for the sake of discussion, ignore that it is an election year (though certainly if you'd like to re-legislate how elections will be run, by all means do so!)

America hasn't had one of these since the first one, and nobody really knows what's up for grabs.
What I'm proposing is a roleplaying play-by-post game where 10 lucky* posters will get to post as the delegates for a block of states. I've split them up into roughly equivalent populations; for the simplicity of this simulation/game, each poster who represents a bloc will have 1 vote. 1 other poster will be the Supreme Court, with the power to break ties, should they come up.

I'm hoping to get one article voted on per week or so; I'll take the role of "Speaker" just to bring articles/amendments up to be fixed if no one does. Voting will be by email to npcdel@gmail.com; debate should generally happen in this thread, however vote-trading is totally acceptable. Feel free to declare a surrogate to vote for you if you don't think you can make the floor in a given week.

Some topics you might want to bring up:
  • The Electoral College, yeah or nay?
  • The House (or Senate?)
  • Guns?
  • Rights for all?
  • Contract some states?
  • Add some states/Puerto Rico/DC?
  • Second Bill of Rights?
  • Mandatory Vaccines
  • National Anthem/Bird/Sport
The options are finite, though I'd like to keep this relatively short, say a 3 month commitment at most, so a week to decide the 10 things to be debated (send a list of your area's top five issues, then I'll create the docket) then I'll present a thing each week and we'll see how it goes.

The blocs available are:

NCR - Cat_Herder
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Denver
All the big square states

Midlands - :siren: My Imaginary GF :siren:
St Louis
Kansas City (both of 'em)
Topeka
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City

Libertopia - DivineCoffeeBinge
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati

Texas - Loel
Texas

Appalachia - Random Paul
Nashville
Little Rock
Lexington
New Orleans

Cascadia - Seiferguy
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles

CSA - Elmnt80
Atlanta
Birmingham
Miami
Tampa

Tidewater - Quorum
Charleston
Research Triangle Park (Raleigh-Durham)
Washington, DC
Baltimore

New York City - Xiahou Dun
NYC
Also Staten Island!
All of New York State I guess
And New Jersey :lol:

New England - RagnarokAngel
Boston
Philadelphia
Bangor

Kanakaua - Rafza
Hawaii
Alaska
Puerto Rico
Microstates like American Samoa, Marianas Island, etc.

Post in this thread to claim a bloc. If the bloc you want is already claimed, post anyway and you'll be the surrogate in case the first claimee flakes after a week. Questions welcome!

E: Thanks to Quorum for this map:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Schedule:
9/2: Week 1 (Ends 9/5): Delegation Arrives (everyone claims blocks by posting, initial intro/greet your fellow delegates)
9/6: Week 2 (Ends 9/12): Discussion of what topics to cover over the next ten weeks. Email of your top five things to amend/add/delete are due to npcdel@gmail.com
9/12: Article 1! The Congress! Make sure your favorite useful idiots can get their jobs done and bring home the earmarked pork!

(I'll be linking this post to the post starting each week)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 12, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Hmm, I'll bite. Wouldn't mind representing the great states of Delmarva(nc) in the Tidewater Bloc!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm interested. I'll represent Cascadia.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I would love to represent New England.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Tejas.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd offer to do CSA/Texas (both places I've lived), but I'd be terrible at arguing policy and would probably ham it up too much. This could prove interesting if people take it seriously though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Also first question, since this is a role play do we play as ourselves, make someone up, or maybe pick a real life politician/political personality?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Delegates Hernandez and Hernandez

The Great State of Tejas has submitted their platform.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 7, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

hello I see you need a delegate from the New California Republic

I just went to a big party in one of the oldest cities in America: Santa Fe

let's do this poo poo

edit:

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 3, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
May I make proposals to the thread without being a delegate?

Edit: Screw it I'll be Appalachia. Louisiana being based on civil law instead of common law will probably let me get away with some poo poo.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 3, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

On second thought, I have a lot to do right now, an extra thing is probably not wise.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 3, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Put me on the list for New England.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Apparently needing mod approval, I thought this would be about a forums constitution.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So while creating a Debate & Discussion Constitution would of course be all sorts of fun, implementing Full Communism and Effort-Posting Earns Citizenship, it'll be more fun if we actually try to serve the interests of our regions primarily. Old-style regionalism is way more rad than sectarianism. :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quorum posted:

So while creating a Debate & Discussion Constitution would of course be all sorts of fun, implementing Full Communism and Effort-Posting Earns Citizenship, it'll be more fun if we actually try to serve the interests of our regions primarily. Old-style regionalism is way more rad than sectarianism. :colbert:

That was my thinking, too. I've updated the OP to reflect a direct PM link to the various delegates, for when you guys need to do shady smoke-filled rooms deals.

My hope was that you would soft-role-play as someone at least nominally representing the interests of (in order) your donor class, your industries, your political dynasties, and last (and least) your constituents.

Having two items a week to debate and discuss will let vote-trading occur.

DivineCoffeeBinge, New England was already claimed, but TriState (NYC/NJ/CT) is wide-open, if you'd rather have your own bloc than serve as an alternate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Count me in for NYC!

As a resident of Harlem and a turbo nerd, I feel qualified.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

That was my thinking, too. I've updated the OP to reflect a direct PM link to the various delegates, for when you guys need to do shady smoke-filled rooms deals.

My hope was that you would soft-role-play as someone at least nominally representing the interests of (in order) your donor class, your industries, your political dynasties, and last (and least) your constituents.

Having two items a week to debate and discuss will let vote-trading occur.

DivineCoffeeBinge, New England was already claimed, but TriState (NYC/NJ/CT) is wide-open, if you'd rather have your own bloc than serve as an alternate.

I'd rather serve as an alternate; I know NE and could effectively roleplay its interests a bit more than the Tri-State area.

...can alternates kibbitz and make suggestions to whoever's running their delegation, come to think of it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'd rather serve as an alternate; I know NE and could effectively roleplay its interests a bit more than the Tri-State area.

...can alternates kibbitz and make suggestions to whoever's running their delegation, come to think of it?

Sure, that's how it was in real life, so why not?

:siren: ALL SPOTS FILLED :siren:

However, if you're interested in being an alternate should the original delegate not respond/post, definitely post here!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 3, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can I rely on you to not doxx the hell out of me, or should I use my SA-only bullshit cut-out e-mail?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can I rely on you to not doxx the hell out of me, or should I use my SA-only bullshit cut-out e-mail?

I give you my no-doxx guarantee, though you could send via PM if you don't trust an 11-year poster

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nah that was more me giving you a heads up that the e-mail address is going to be [myactualname]@gmail.

Super excited for this!

(O and I do have PMs if people want to talk to me.)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Incidentally, because I am at work and it is deathly dull, I created a map with my interpretation of the blocs as set forth in the OP. Feel free to throw it up there for those of us who are visually oriented if you like, or let me know if I got something terribly wrong and have offended the touchy people of Shitsville, Kansas or something.

WARNING: loving ENORMOUS (just like America :smug:)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quorum posted:

Incidentally, because I am at work and it is deathly dull, I created a map with my interpretation of the blocs as set forth in the OP. Feel free to throw it up there for those of us who are visually oriented if you like, or let me know if I got something terribly wrong and have offended the touchy people of Shitsville, Kansas or something.

WARNING: loving ENORMOUS (just like America :smug:)

This is gorgeous and just about exactly right, only change is Hawaii has elected to vote with New England because reasons.

e: lol you updated it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

This is gorgeous and just about exactly right, only change is Hawaii has elected to vote with New England because reasons.

e: lol you updated it.

The good people of Tidewater have no idea what you're talking about! :histdowns:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Louisiana should probably be csa/texas instead of its current group. There ain't much for mountains down in da bayou.

Edit: Culturally, they are probably closer to the coastal csa states. Economically, their interests would likely be closer to the eastern half of texas. (The only half that matters)

Also, volunteering as a CSA backup dude. :buddy:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 3, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alternate Delegate: DivineCoffeeBinge
Boston
Philadelphia
Bangor
Hawaii (hey why not?)

I am suddenly struck by the thought that Philadelphia being represented by the NE bloc is perhaps a little unusual, given that the rest of its state is within Libertopia and from a geographical standpoint it's got the NYC bloc in its way (E: and might be culturally closer to Tidewater).

I mean, if we still want to do it that way it's cool (if Hawaii can hook up with NE so can Philly), but I wanted to double-check on the apportionment.

...also if no one has claimed them within 24 hours I'll swap out my NE Alternate status to be the Libertopian rep. If I pay closer attention to the needs of New England than of the states I'm supposedly representing, well, it's not like that's a thing that's ever happened at a Constitutional Convention before, right? Muah hah hah...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I am suddenly struck by the thought that Philadelphia being represented by the NE bloc is perhaps a little unusual, given that the rest of its state is within Libertopia and from a geographical standpoint it's got the NYC bloc in its way (E: and might be culturally closer to Tidewater).

I mean, if we still want to do it that way it's cool (if Hawaii can hook up with NE so can Philly), but I wanted to double-check on the apportionment.

...also if no one has claimed them within 24 hours I'll swap out my NE Alternate status to be the Libertopian rep. If I pay closer attention to the needs of New England than of the states I'm supposedly representing, well, it's not like that's a thing that's ever happened at a Constitutional Convention before, right? Muah hah hah...
So I wasn't really sure what to do up there, since there's so many massive metropolises and I wanted to keep the number of blocs at 10. Philly and Boston were both full of terrible sports fans, so I moved Philly to the NE bloc; I don't think Philly has much in common with either NYC or the rest of the Rust Belt (Libertopia), but I'm happy to shift stuff around.

I made Elmt80 the delegate for the CSA since nobody's claimed it yet, but if someone wants it, Elmt80 did originally want to just be an advisor/delegate. If you take Libertopia (originally titled Rustopia, but that was a bit on the nose. I'm thinking now it makes more sense?), that means we can start the show?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So I wasn't really sure what to do up there, since there's so many massive metropolises and I wanted to keep the number of blocs at 10. Philly and Boston were both full of terrible sports fans, so I moved Philly to the NE bloc; I don't think Philly has much in common with either NYC or the rest of the Rust Belt (Libertopia), but I'm happy to shift stuff around.

I made Elmt80 the delegate for the CSA since nobody's claimed it yet, but if someone wants it, Elmt80 did originally want to just be an advisor/delegate. If you take Libertopia (originally titled Rustopia, but that was a bit on the nose. I'm thinking now it makes more sense?), that means we can start the show?

Might make more sense to shift Charleston into Dixie (it makes more sense there than with Tidewater; SC is definitely closer to Georgia than to North Carolina) and add Philadelphia into Tidewater, since it's got more in common with Baltimore, DC, and the major southern metropolises of the Boswash than with NYC or Boston. But then I'm biased!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IF YOU ARE NOT A DELEGATE!

Check this map for what bloc you are in (per your IRL home) and post in this thread for the constitutional things that matter most to you:

(thanks to Quorum)

The Delegates are set! Again, if you'd like to be an alternate (in case your bloc's delegate flakes out), let me know via PM. Your bloc leaders are (with links to PM them):

NCR - Cat_Herder

Midlands - :siren: My Imaginary GF :siren:

Libertopia - DivineCoffeeBinge

Texas - Loel

Appalachia - Random Paul

Cascadia - Seiferguy

CSA - Elmnt80

Tidewater - Quorum

New York City - Xiahou Dun

[img][/img]
Kanakaua - Rafza

Delegates, you have until September 12th to submit your list of things you'd like to make sure make it in to Constitution 2: Law Harder

Some things to keep in mind:
The constitution covers the following issues:
  • The Legislative branch, including what it's made up of and its powers (article I). This is where the Commerce and Necessary and Proper clauses show up
  • The Executive Branch, including who is allowed to be president/vice president, and what their powers are (article II)
  • The Judicial Branch (article III)
  • States rights and responsibilities towards each other (article IV)
  • How the constitution itself is amended (article V)
  • Safeguards of Liberty (amendments 1-3)
  • Safeguards of Justice (amendments 4-8)
  • Unenumerated rights and reserved powers (Amendments 9, 10)
  • Governmental authority (Amendments 11, 16)
  • Safeguards of civil rights (Amendments 13, 14, 15, 19, 23, 24, 26)
  • Government Procedures (Amendments 12, 17, 20, 22, 25, 27)
  • The size of federal government
  • Equal Rights for all

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 5, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to be on vacation September 10-17, and probably won't have good access to internet, so if someone wants to volunteer is as a backup delegate for Cascadia while I'm out, that would be cool.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Have fun with MIGF, ya'll. I'm now very eager to see him demolish any and all progressive changes you want to make to the Constitution under the guise of "true progressivism". :getin:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

For the purposes of voting, do we need a simple majority (6/10), or two thirds? (7/10)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loel posted:

For the purposes of voting, do we need a simple majority (6/10), or two thirds? (7/10)
I'm amenable to either. Let's say a simple majority, or 5/10 with me casting the deciding vote.

E: Actually, per PM:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Mr. Adams, please trust your convention delegates. Let us put it to a vote what constitutes a majority vote!
I'm amenable to a quick vote on what a majority would be. Is there a voting tool other than Google Forms that is more user-friendly/easier to share?

EDIT EDIT:

: I put it to the delegation!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 4, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You can have El Paso if you vote in Tejas' favor :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2016

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Can I get a clarification if CT is NYC or New England? Want to know which PM box to pester :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Can I get a clarification if CT is NYC or New England? Want to know which PM box to pester :v:

Well it's orange on the map so I assume you bug me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It's New York's domain. Yell at Xiahao Dun

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Totally interested in being an alternate for Cascadia, but I'm certain Seiferguy has our best, teriyaki infused interests at heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yep that was my error sorry!

PS I am more than happy to receive the demands/entreaties/weird political rants of Delmarvanc goons. But I've already got a small list of regional priorities off the bat; can anyone say DC statehood? :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread