Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dreddout posted:

Honestly, sacrificing Oklahoma for cheap gas, isn't a bad deal at all.

Kills two birds with one stone, imo.

agreed. i spent about a year there for tech school and nothing in the state will be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Germstore posted:

it produces both

ya i guess you're right. i worked as a title analyst at a mineral leasing firm in oklahoma for 2 years and never saw a single well that wasn't for natural gas though so i don't think it's a big factor in that region

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

*sees a 300,000% increase in earthquakes since we started shattering the inside of the earth with hydraulic fluid*

that mother nature sure is mysterious

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you guys seriously think Big Oil is using earthquake machines in Oklahoma?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

I just hope no one was hurt.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Dreddout posted:

Honestly, sacrificing Oklahoma for cheap gas, isn't a bad deal at all.

Kills two birds with one stone, imo.

I stand defeated, wait something doesn't seem right

Dreddout posted:

:confused: I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life, (thanks, random chance!) and I have never experienced or heard of an earthquake here before this year.

Unless you're gonna talk about some poo poo that happened 50 years ago. (Nothing before I was born matters.)

Hmm. I dunno. Something is off. USGS can you help with earthquakes in the past 15 years? Let's narrow the results down to 2.5 or stronger

The results seem a little inconclusive if some guy hasn't ever "heard of or felt an Earthquake"

There can't be any single famous earthquakes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Oklahoma_earthquake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9316_Oklahoma_earthquake_swarms

quote:

Beginning in 2009, the frequency of earthquakes in the U.S. State of Oklahoma rapidly increased from an average of less than two 3.0+ Mw earthquakes per year to hundreds in 2014 and 2015

I'm going to go edit "But Something Awful Forums users have not reported feeling or even hearing about any earthquakes ever in the history of their state before 2016"

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 3, 2016

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

yes this exactly what we think. you are so smart

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Frankenstyle posted:

Good post.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
PSA: If you dont want your house to fall over during an earthquake, dont live in a place that has earthquakes.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
OP got my hopes up that it leveled the state. Well at least I felt pretty good for part of my SAT, its all downhill from here though.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm going to go edit "But Something Awful Forums users have not reported feeling or even hearing about any earthquakes ever in the history of their state before 2016"

Thanks for doing your due diligence! :patriot:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Frankenstyle posted:

Republican governor asks for 10 Billion dollars in emergency aid.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my friend spent the first 30-some odd years of her life in oklahoma (tulsa) and her first order of business when she got divorced was to leave. she never misses an opportunity to talk poo poo about her home state

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Y-Hat posted:

my friend spent the first 30-some odd years of her life in oklahoma (tulsa) and her first order of business when she got divorced was to leave. she never misses an opportunity to talk poo poo about her home state

Tulsa, OK is like if Branson, MO had 900k people. Tulsa, OK is also the worlds biggest baptist church.

Oklahoma City is aight.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've met a lot of cool people from OK but none of them live there and they all got out as soon as they could.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
good im glad

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I seriously think it's a comic or movie villain, tbh

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A 5.6 doesn't even wake you up in California, it's barely worth mentioning. People talk about the little earthquakes here the way everyone else talks about the rain. Probably because California doesn't have any rain, but has lots of earthquakes. Hahaha!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
places like cali that have frequent earthquakes also have earthquake building codes. by contrast, oklahoma is mostly one big trailer park. they don't have the infrastructure to handle it, and the ok state government is amazingly incompetent so that will not change.

what's more, no one really knows what will happen with fracking. will the earthquakes stay at this intensity and frequency, subside, get worse, or summon the lava men from the center of the earth? there isn't much research about the subject either, for obvious reasons.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/
i love 2 frack hail

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

Tulsa is a shithole by Oklahoma standards. It's literally the meth capital of America!

See that black spot in Oklahoma? That's 947+ methlabs in one county!

It sure feels good to be number 1 in something! :911:

Serious Frolicking posted:

what's more, no one really knows what will happen with fracking. will the earthquakes stay at this intensity and frequency, subside, get worse, or summon the lava men from the center of the earth?

One can only hope.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

*sees a 300,000% increase in earthquakes since we started shattering the inside of the earth with hydraulic fluid*

that mother nature sure is mysterious

It is totally because of fracing but the real mystery is why anyone would give a poo poo. Oh no more 2-3.0 earthquakes what a bunch of babies. it gives these places a semblance of industry and jobs that pay more than min wage and the rest of us cheap loving gas win win.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Flimsy rear end Okie built bullshit falls over in a 5.6. Most of the civilized world doesn't even get out of bed for anything under 6.0. Stuff like this is why the only memorable song praising Oklahoma just says that it's windy, that it's "doing fine, " and that it's "OK."

Remember when people kept trying to assure us that fracking wasn't dangerous? Guess where they've been doing all that fracking? The amount of earthquakes in OK has increased from 2 per year to hundreds since they began.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

karma_coma posted:

Tulsa, OK is like if Branson, MO had 900k people. Tulsa, OK is also the worlds biggest baptist church.
oral roberts university baby

Dreddout posted:

Tulsa is a shithole by Oklahoma standards. It's literally the meth capital of America!

See that black spot in Oklahoma? That's 947+ methlabs in one county!

It sure feels good to be number 1 in something! :911:
hell yeah hardly any meth labs in the northeast. granted, that's because the drug of choice around these parts is heroin, and lots of it

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 3, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
There's lots of research on the subject, it just doesn't agree with the loony left's anti-science agenda. These are the same people that poo poo their pants over nuclear energy, power lines, and wi-fi.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

oral roberts university baby

hell yeah hardly any meth labs in the northeast. granted, that's because the drug of choice around these parts is heroin, and lots of it

I figured you well off lieberals just did cocaine with your "urban" friends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, yeah. if only the rigorous science education the right upholds could save us from those goshdarned LIEberals.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dreddout posted:

I figured you well off lieberals just did cocaine with your "urban" friends.
yeah if you stay in the wealthy parts of the cities. once you go to the rural and suburban areas there are lots of people shooting up. long island is NY's heroin capital

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've driven through oklahoma before. it could have been me

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
dissapointed in every oklahoma goon who missed a golden opportunity to livepost "i'm literally shaking right now"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Regrettable posted:

Remember when people kept trying to assure us that fracking wasn't dangerous? Guess where they've been doing all that fracking? The amount of earthquakes in OK has increased from 2 per year to hundreds since they began.

Good poin.....

tsa posted:

It is totally because of fracing but the real mystery is why anyone would give a poo poo. Oh no more 2-3.0 earthquakes what a bunch of babies. it gives these places a semblance of industry and jobs that pay more than min wage and the rest of us cheap loving gas win win.

yeah pretty much

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
A testament to the fact that the rear-facing side of the US is a flimsy shantytown.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Manifest Destiny was a mistake.

Actually it wasn't because we have fracking land, but why put humans there?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if fracking only ever causes a massive amount of tiny earthquakes then it isn't really a big deal. that's a pretty big if, though.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

if fracking only ever causes a massive amount of tiny earthquakes then it isn't really a big deal. that's a pretty big if, though.

There is literally no cost too large when it comes to paying blue-collars enough to afford F-150s.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Germstore posted:

Manifest Destiny was a mistake.

Actually it wasn't because we have fracking land, but why put humans there?

The Land Rush was the biggest hustle pulled on white people by white people in history.

"Garden State of The World" my rear end!

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
someday i'm gonna listen to every single dust bowl song by woody guthrie, including loving Dust In My Lungs and Who The gently caress Farms On Garbage Prairie Land Anyway

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah all that natural gas and oil comes from dinosaurs because dinosaurs always buried their dead deep in the earth right, lieberals? :smugdog::pipe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

places like cali that have frequent earthquakes also have earthquake building codes. by contrast, oklahoma is mostly one big trailer park.

trailers/mobile homes do just fine in earthquakes (and are extremely common in CA).

the problem in areas with no earthquake codes is stuff like older brick buildings or concrete apartment blocks, not trailer parks.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 3, 2016

• Locked thread