Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ColoradoCleric posted:

somehow this is the fault of fracking

Even the oil and gas industry has said "ok we agree, this causes earthquakes" now. They did a good job fuckpuppeting the idiots for a few years but nobody really likes earthquakes so they've given up a bit, you can stop shilling too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i think it's just that oklahoma is so terrible people are siding with the oil and gas industry regardless of earthquakes

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Untrustable posted:

They say that animals know when earthquakes and poo poo are coming but I'm like one county away from Pawnee and my house got all shook up and the cats didn't give a gently caress.

they sometimes do, but some cats are just off. note also that cats are supposed to catch mice but many of them are bad at it and just sleep all day, they are supposed to be able to cast spells but often gently caress it up, they are supposed to be enemies of dogs but some of them will cuddle with dogs.. you probably got bum cats, it happens more than you think.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 4, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I think the world could do without oklahoma

But where would running backs go to college?

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
I love the people in the thread citing the USGS as evidence that Oklahoma has always had these kinds of quakes, when the USGS has specifically said that the number of quakes has "increased dramatically over the past few years" starting with 2009.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

quote:

Between the years 1973–2008, there was an average of 21 earthquakes of magnitude three and larger in the central and eastern United States. This rate jumped to an average of 99 M3+ earthquakes per year in 2009–2013, and the rate continues to rise.

And no, fracking is not entirely to blame, but all sorts of oil extraction methods are contributing:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

Basically, you're turning your state into an air hockey table.

Dr. Bit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 4, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i think it's just that oklahoma is so terrible people are siding with the oil and gas industry regardless of earthquakes
obviously they're gonna become oil and gas billionaires themselves someday

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the oil and gas industry being terrible doesn't make oklahoma somehow not terrible

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
it'd sure be a shame if all this fracking resulted in a huge disaster in OK. A real shame.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Heh, sound slike you'd all be ... heh... "OK" with that. Heh.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
You know, our license plates used to have this slogan:

As many people who live here have pointed out, that's pretty much how we all feel about living here. "It's not great, but Oklahoma is OK."

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Dr. Bit posted:

I love the people in the thread citing the USGS as evidence that Oklahoma has always had these kinds of quakes, when the USGS has specifically said that the number of quakes has "increased dramatically over the past few years" starting with 2009.

I love when people are smug about something they obviously didn't read

I too missed that the guy said "I've never even heard of an Earthquake in Oklahoma before this year" and the USGS data was posted to prove that not only has oklahoma always had earthquakes, but due to hundreds of percent increase in frequency since 2009 they are no secret and a daily occurrence all over the state.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
What do you suppose the water pressure is like in the bottom of those old mineshafts that have been filling up for decades since they've been abandoned? Pretty high, I'd guess. Like, high enough to force a bunch of water into a bunch of cracks and stuff, I wot. Sort of like fracking, but without any supervision or planning involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would have expected fracking to cause a bunch of sinkholes and subsidence rather than earthquakes, but the results speak for themselves.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its not like its a binary option. ok and other fracklands have hella sinkholes too

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

A magnitude 3 earthquake is the equivalent of 480kg of TNT. Which ain't poo poo compared to wartime explosives and is insignificant compared to industrial blasting in the mining industry.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guarantee you a 480kg bomb detonating in a randomly picked civilian area would raise heads tho
counterpoint; when in oklahoma you are in a war zone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i hope no meth labs got destroyed in the earthquake

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i guarantee you a 480kg bomb detonating in a randomly picked civilian area would raise heads tho

No argument there, but Oklahoma's not civilized.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jonny 290 posted:

A former governer literally declared martial law over a toll road.

And we loving won

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Bridge_War

Say what you will about Oklahoma, we got our loving bridge back!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is the gayest example of brinkmanship i have ever seen

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dreddout posted:

A former governer literally declared martial law over a toll road.

And we loving won

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Bridge_War
this is the stupidest conflict i've ever seen. are texas and oklahoma states or two rival bullies on the same playground?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

this is the stupidest conflict i've ever seen. are texas and oklahoma states or two rival bullies on the same playground?

If that's the stupidest conflict you've ever seen I have a list of hundreds of well known wars for you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

emoji posted:

If that's the stupidest conflict you've ever seen I have a list of hundreds of well known wars for you.
fair point. there was that war between el salvador and nicaragua where the last straw was a soccer match between the two of them

but outside of the civil war, i can't say i've heard of any actual war between american states. i'd love to be proven wrong, though

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

fair point. there was that war between el salvador and nicaragua where the last straw was a soccer match between the two of them

but outside of the civil war, i can't say i've heard of any actual war between american states. i'd love to be proven wrong, though

Michigan attacked Ohio and attempted to annex Toledo. They were given the upper peninsula in exchange for backing off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War?wprov=sfla1

Lobotomy Bob fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 5, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

emoji posted:

You mean the massive devastating earthquakes that occurred in the area before we even knew what oil was? New Madrid much?

new madrid, as in the place 400 miles away from pawnee, oklahoma?

as in the well-mapped seismic zone that has absolutely nothing to do with oklahoma, shares zero faults or geology with oklahoma, and does not produce earthquakes related to oklahoma?

is that the new madrid you're talking about? I hope the testimony you gave to the EPA was more informed than your understanding of seismology.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 5, 2016

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

*sees a 300,000% increase in earthquakes since we started shattering the inside of the earth with hydraulic fluid*

that mother nature sure is mysterious
and people who work in the oil and gas industry think they are the victims since the companies the work for all imploded because they just assumed oil was gonna be $100/bbl forever.

these people deserve everything that happens to them

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

karma_coma posted:

Tulsa, OK is like if Branson, MO had 900k people. Tulsa, OK is also the worlds biggest baptist church.

Oklahoma City is aight.
lol super loving wrong. oklahoma city is just as poo poo. it's a terrible place full of terrible people.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
people defending fracking in 2016 lmao

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

people defending fracking in 2016 lmao

do you think gmos are gonna irradiate your tiny testicles with wifi waves

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
someone should do a study on whether the average okie dipshit can tell the difference between their daily fracking earthquake and their daily meth lab explosion

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that all those microquakes makes the local meth labs even more likely to explode.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sonofsilversign posted:

someone should do a study on whether the average okie dipshit can tell the difference between their daily fracking earthquake and their daily meth lab explosion

Nah it's already in the thread man, they mistake them for the neighbor's donkey being an rear end

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Saudis should just finish the job

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Guys I have an idea, dear Okies, please start fracking in Southern California. It's the only way to redeem your Okieness

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I felt the quake.

Was interesting. Will quake again.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Even the oil and gas industry has said "ok we agree, this causes earthquakes" now. They did a good job fuckpuppeting the idiots for a few years but nobody really likes earthquakes so they've given up a bit, you can stop shilling too

No one gives . a. gently caress.

cry some more about a 3.lol earthquake lmbo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Sonofsilversign posted:

The distinction is irrelevant. An earthquake causes our meth labs to explode, and our meth labs exploding triggers earthqakes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oklahoma produced Braum's ice cream stores and delivered them to the blighted lands of north Texas and southwestern Missouri.

So it's got that going on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dreddout posted:

The distinction is irrelevant. An earthquake causes our meth labs to explode, and our meth labs exploding triggers earthqakes.

the meth labs need to stop pumping the wastewater from cooking blue meth into the faults

that stuff was explosive, no wonder it's causing earthquakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wikkheiser posted:

Oklahoma produced Braum's ice cream stores and delivered them to the blighted lands of north Texas and southwestern Missouri.

So it's got that going on.

Braums cattle are all in the Texas panhandle I believe

• Locked thread