Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

hemophilia posted:

i found myself in a nowhere town in OK one day, off i-35 no less, on my way to what would be a really weird day, and getting gas. Getting gas. GETTING GAS. The cashier acted like my money wasn't good enough, people were staring, my texas plates were getting me treated like poo poo everywhere i stopped and dude I've been all over the south and up the southern east coast, and i've never been treated with the kind of hostility I got on that trip. The person I was meeting was in an apartment building with people just sitting outside, staring. Yeah dude, midwest death stare. At least an oklahoman death stare.
maybe the issue is you're a weirdo goonlord and not your license plates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

radiatinglines posted:

I live in Dallas and never really thought Oklahomans had a different accent

Like, obviously they're aping the Texan accent and not the other way around, but I can't tell the difference
It's the same accent.

Out west people talk like No Country for Old Men. Central Texas is kinda... clipped in tone. I noticed it talking to old timers around Austin.

I'm from DFW and when I came to terms with it: :negative:

I was the Okie all along.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hemophilia posted:

i found myself in a nowhere town in OK one day, off i-35 no less, on my way to what would be a really weird day, and getting gas. Getting gas. GETTING GAS. The cashier acted like my money wasn't good enough, people were staring, my texas plates were getting me treated like poo poo everywhere i stopped and dude I've been all over the south and up the southern east coast, and i've never been treated with the kind of hostility I got on that trip. The person I was meeting was in an apartment building with people just sitting outside, staring. Yeah dude, midwest death stare. At least an oklahoman death stare.

i've been all over the midwest including oklahoma and find people are on average friendlier than anywhere else in the country, including the south. either you were in some bizarre town or the problem was on your end but when I think of cultures with "death stares" the midwestern United States is about the last place I think of

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look I'll settle this lol

you're all equally flyover states people should disregard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Look I'll settle this lol

you're all equally flyover states people should disregard

i live in il, can confirm

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Technically I live in a stopover state thank you very much

They stop here and choke down TGI Friday's at the airport, and their money then circulates through our economy like how those Jack Sliders circulate through their gastrointestinal systems.

We're crafty like that.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I Own Soulz posted:

Where is the fault that even causes an earthquake in that area?

we make our own faults now, via fracking

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

maybe the issue is you're a weirdo goonlord and not your license plates

TenementFunster is talking down to me about being a weirdo goonlord i'm laughing on the inside.

no idiot, Oklahoma is a poo poo state full of hostile shitbirds. see that loving video someone posted earlier that's 30 minutes of pure unadulterated oklahoma

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Oklahoma is not ok

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

TenementFunster is talking down to me about being a weirdo goonlord i'm laughing on the inside.

no idiot, Oklahoma is a poo poo state full of hostile shitbirds. see that loving video someone posted earlier that's 30 minutes of pure unadulterated oklahoma

"The problem is surely other people"
-person who parades around pictures of Adolf Hitler

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

hemophilia posted:

yeah man, I'm sure it's just that a bunch of Okies have never seen a different license plate from a neighboring state before and were confused and angry.

Oklahoma and Texas are the same place.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Lmao Oklahoma is not the Midwest

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

yeah man, I'm sure it's just that a bunch of Okies have never seen a different license plate from a neighboring state before and were confused and angry.

Oklahoma and Texas are the same place.

Maybe this was during football season . . . there's that annual Sooner vs. Longhorns thing, the Red River Shootout. They take that rather seriously around Norman.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Did you know the state of Oklahoma didn't exist until after the play? Odd but true! :science:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Did you know the state of Oklahoma didn't exist until after the play? Odd but true! :science:

wow, that's the most interesting thing I've ever heard about Oklahoma

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i have an interesting fact about oklahoma

oh man it's gonna blow your mind

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ok here it comes!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oklahoma is a national center of vaping and vape culture.

because there are a lot of smokers in oklahoma, see. it's disproportionate because it's one of those pleasures that allow you to cope with living in oklahoma. but vaping is preferable obviously.

also it's cheap to live there and open a small business. so BAM. vape shops everywhere. (six percent of the nation's total, despite oklahoma having only one percent of the nation's population.)

so vape up, okies.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's so sad to see old people walking around with those vaping boxes. It reminds me of my dear old departed cat still trying to hunt when he was old and fat had no muscle mass left.

• Locked thread