Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sheep-Goats posted:

Your say that but we know you just spammed spells like a big poof

lol it's okay man, I know sometimes you're just presented with so many options it can be hard. you learned your way to play and that's fine :thumbsup:

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are some spots where you basically have to pull with a ranged weapon in every souls game, that's fine. If you are actually killing guys with ranged attacks as a strategy through you're a wuss.

Fighting O+S with a bow only is crazy hard and hella satisfying to pull off. F'real bow-heavy run doesn't mean you have to be some puss who just snipes enemies from far away. It's fun to roll around and shoot. The first Dark Souls though I feel used to enough that I don't ever really invest too much in HP anyway though. Does tanking actually work in any souls games or is speed just de facto always more important?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponis man
Sep 4, 2016

by Smythe
so many trade mechanics with console controller games and everyone has a niche eh?

mouse and kb has come a long way from the 90s tho its crazy precise now with ease

red cherry kb keys and rival ss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dare is that you?

ponis man
Sep 4, 2016

by Smythe
no its me ALRON DELZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Jose posted:

i beat defiled amygdala with ranged attacks and i'm not ashamed to admit it

yeah ranged attacks on amygdala is bad and kinda cheesy, completely trivialises the fight. I think you can even kill it in one shot if you stagger it then use the canon

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Ds3 definitely has the best graphics, play that one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

yeah ranged attacks on amygdala is bad and kinda cheesy, completely trivialises the fight. I think you can even kill it in one shot if you stagger it then use the canon

not the defiled one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

lol it's okay man, I know sometimes you're just presented with so many options it can be hard. you learned your way to play and that's fine :thumbsup:

Fighting O+S with a bow only is crazy hard and hella satisfying to pull off. F'real bow-heavy run doesn't mean you have to be some puss who just snipes enemies from far away. It's fun to roll around and shoot. The first Dark Souls though I feel used to enough that I don't ever really invest too much in HP anyway though. Does tanking actually work in any souls games or is speed just de facto always more important?

Everyone uses magic heavily when they're new, most people with a brain realize it's pure cheese after a few bosses though and start a new character where they don't ruin the game for themselves. A few just keep on in their bad old ways.

Fighting O+S bow only is the easiest possible way to fight them, apart from magic.

Tanking sometimes worked in DS1 but in general no and it's good that it doesn't. Poise was a mistake.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 4, 2016

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

notZaar posted:

Ds3 definitely has the best graphics, play that one.

ye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN-wFM4zCbA

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

:shrug: see I never had any trouble with O + S melee, but when I tried with a bow they gave me some poo poo. I always enjoy hearing what different people find hard. Some people think Oceiros in 3 is the hardest boss by far by in my three plathroughs I've died to him like, once. I always dread the princes though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've died to bosses a lot more than O+S but i think they're the hardest bosses when i did them second time since i summoned first time.

then again i reached ruin sentinels when i only had magic arrow and basically couldn't hurt them so had to use summons. smashed them second time using curved sword + uchigatana

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I am currently playing Dark Souls for the first time. I initially ignored it because when people told me it was difficult, but so far, I am doing alright. (I am playing a pyromancer, though).

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs

wevs posted:

I have "AIDS," I'm accepting prayers :*

bump to pray ~

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Ibogaine posted:

I am currently playing Dark Souls for the first time. I initially ignored it because when people told me it was difficult, but so far, I am doing alright. (I am playing a pyromancer, though).

People need to stop saying that Dark Souls games are (made to be) difficult.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Putty posted:

the camera is loving difficult a lot of the time

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

the thing is apart from a few instances Fromsoft games are incredibly fair. Though they can be difficult they're seldom ever frustrating or cheap, and each game only takes a little while to settle into and get the hang of. I find them the perfect amount of challenge.

That said if people are new to the games and having trouble I usually recommend they play with a faith investment, as being able to shoot off a heal after every mob of enemies without using up an estus I imagine makes the experience much smoother.

pyromancy is cool in DS1 because it's essentially a way to beat the game even if you make a poo poo character with terrible stats

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Putty posted:

Exactly. I was expecting something like a difficult 8 bit game, such as Mario's lost levels or Battletoads, but Dark Souls seems to be pretty fair, and you are never in danger of losing all progress. There seem to be plenty of camp fires, so you can focus on one section at a time.

Now I am kinda annoyed that I almost never played the game because of some idiots who described the game as if it were nearly unbeatable.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

watching speed runs and how they skip/break a load of stuff is interesting but if i'm playing i'm killing every boss possible

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I typically use the master key and skip the depths/entrance to blight town. Not really for any reason though, I don't mind either of those areas, just think it's cool you can skip all that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

playing on pc so blight town doesn't freeze is really nice

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've gone the right way into Blight Town like four times total. There's just no reason to go over there.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
The only hard part of Souls games are places you can fall to your death. I bet like 80% of my deaths across all the games are from falling. Aside from that they are just considered hard compared to most games because its actually possible to die and a few bosses you have to try a few times before you beat them which is practically unheard of these days

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I beg you From, don't put platforming in your hit monsters with swords game, please

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i hate ornstein and smaugh, they hard

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Frog Act posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KzmiG4JEg

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jose posted:

playing on pc so blight town doesn't freeze is really nice

I don't know how any of the enemies in blight town are supposed to animate lol

Frog Act posted:

maybe you're playing it wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-gGZ_9wwqk

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 4, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

watching speed runs and how they skip/break a load of stuff is interesting but if i'm playing i'm killing every boss possible

There 100% boss speedruns they're cool

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Sheep-Goats posted:

You basically covered it but the important thing is that that story is told entirely through gameplay. Games usually use little movies or text to try to inject story and the actual game you play has nothing to do with it. 5-3 the game is the story despite you not really playing a character and despite you knowing almost nothing (potentially actually nothing if you weren't talking to people and reading items a lot) about the knight or the lady going into it.

Okay well put. I don't remember being wowed in the moment or afterwards but it is a cool gameplay storytelling moment.

drat. You got me thinking about playing demon souls again..:psyduck:..never say never. I played through as a miracle archer, maybe it's time for a spellsword run. Our PS3 got sick and died though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Putty you have brain aids

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
4 kings can suck my drat balls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Arrhythmia posted:

4 kings can suck my drat balls

You can still just put on all Havel's, two hand a weapon, get chest to chest (some of their attacks do very little damage if you are close) and thump away, heal when your stamina runs out from thumping, then get back to it. Not the honorable way to go but if you get tired of the run then whatever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats how i beat 4 kings the second time. first time i used the pyromancy that stops you being able to move much or take much damage

its a bad boss fight. also don't like 5 appear if you take too long

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The pyro thing got nerfed, it won't save you any more. And yeah if you're obscenely slow more than four can spawn.

If you do enough damage to them during their death animations it's also probably possible to finish the boss in only 3.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
play Bloodborne 2 .

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i think i've gotten bored of them. dark souls 3 is great but i cant be arsed to win it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

i dunno if i think it's a bad boss fight but it's annoying as you have to wear a special ring during it and I think I almost always end up changing my gear a bit

fun fact: if you take the ring off during the fight you get a special animation where you're pulled into the abyss and instead of "YOU DIED" the game says "WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE loving RING OFF?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvgRlXRflw

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

doing this as lvl 1 is fun, took out the 2nd asylum demon and opened the shortcut to lost izalith before killing the taurus demon, catacombs shortcut for the rite of kindling, probably gonna take on sif before i watch iron tarkus flex on the golem

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've never actually fought ceaseless discharge i just use the arm trick

if you don't care about NG+ you can pump all of the levels into endurance so you can wear full havel's wtih a lightning zweihander and artorius' great shield and still have the medium roll

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jose posted:

thats how i beat 4 kings the second time. first time i used the pyromancy that stops you being able to move much or take much damage

its a bad boss fight. also don't like 5 appear if you take too long

when i beat them the second time it was a huge pain in the rear end, mainly because i was sequence breaking with the express intent of creating a lv1 darkwraith like that goon suggested earlier

But being obnoxious to people in undead burg was rewarding as hell and something it seemed the devs anticipated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Ceaseless Dishcarge i think is the only boss I don't fight normally actually. He's an incredibly annoying boss and I think once I learnt about the arm trick I just decided not to bother with that guy

• Locked thread