Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My mariscos place of choice upgraded from a lovely shack to a baller rear end brand new building right by love field, and the food is just as good and it's always packed as hell. Maybe the whole idea of "cheap smaller places have better food" is wanky bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Food trucks are mostly the McDonald's equivalent of Mexican food. You can always tell how good a Mexican joint is by the quality of their beans and tortillas. If the tortillas come out of a bag and the beans come from a can, you ain't doing it right.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Solvent posted:

I was saying that the overhead of sitdown places prices out all the people who ARE poor, and creates a bland menu that changes with the new customer base.

Lol if you believe this

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

my name is solvent. i am such a manchild that i refuse to believe that ethnic food places exist until they literally park outside my door

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 12, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to eat ten dollar tacos

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bro Dad posted:

Give me your tired, your poor,

That's a pretty tall order, there are a loving shitload of poor people here

e: you know I figured CA would be the most unequal state but I looked it up and we're like the 8th most unequal. Step it up CA.

More unequal than CA, from less to more unequal (connecticut?):

Alabama
Florida
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Connecticut
New York
District of Columbia

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 13, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
it's almost as if........food trucks AND taquerias are good..........................

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
probably the most stereotypically californian argument ever itt lol

KifygmySkulltulas
Sep 13, 2016

by Smythe
love and peace. the heart of California 2016.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Hi my name is Solvent, and I have better things to do than exchange words with lovely people about how I grew up in a barrio that was gentrified. People who don't like what I say can feel free to ignore me, or even fail to troll if they like. Bougie fucks can enjoy their bubble of reality and vote for whoever they like to make California great again or whatever. Food trucks are sometimes awesome and so are taquerias. Murder is bad and so is lill' fits attitude, but hey, psychos gonna kill and fits gonna shitpost. :smug:

California is awesome, but if you move here, be rich cause fart huffers will price you out of any place nice, and if you visit try not to trash the place. Have a nice thread!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Goodbye and good luck friend

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

He was too special for this thread

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Just wanted to pop in and remind you all that prop 13 is a thing that your garbage state refuses to fix because deep down you're just Texas with a beach.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Hi my name is Solvent, and I have better things to do than exchange words with lovely people about how I grew up in a barrio that was gentrified. People who don't like what I say can feel free to ignore me, or even fail to troll if they like. Bougie fucks can enjoy their bubble of reality and vote for whoever they like to make California great again or whatever. Food trucks are sometimes awesome and so are taquerias. Murder is bad and so is lill' fits attitude, but hey, psychos gonna kill and fits gonna shitpost. :smug:

California is awesome, but if you move here, be rich cause fart huffers will price you out of any place nice, and if you visit try not to trash the place. Have a nice thread!

Eh, coming from a Bernout I guess I'll take hat as a compliment? Maybe marry someone who benefits from Prop 13? Along with Prop 58 from 1986 you're set!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

dick wizard posted:

Just wanted to pop in and remind you all that prop 13 is a thing that your garbage state refuses to fix because deep down you're just Texas with a beach.

nah you can get an abortion in california

texas defunded that poo poo so hard that now they have the highest pregnancy mortality rate in the entire developed world

lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

fits my needs posted:

Eh, coming from a Bernout I guess I'll take hat as a compliment? Maybe marry someone who benefits from Prop 13? Along with Prop 58 from 1986 you're set!

Taxing poor people to make them have 'skin in the game' is stupid policy that doesn't work. I was going to say that the other day, but instead I just shook my head. But you're still going so I figured someone should probably mention that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A good Mexican place will have a jukebox playing Maná and Jenni Rivera constantly. Four tacos al pastor and a big cup of horchata is where its at.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I can't consume dairy. No horchata for me.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

They have lactate free milk now. Come join the party.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Smythe posted:

It's ok, Horchata is like 90% cinnamon anyway

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Taxing poor people to make them have 'skin in the game' is stupid policy that doesn't work. I was going to say that the other day, but instead I just shook my head. But you're still going so I figured someone should probably mention that.

So giving these same people a Mincome to have more money to spend on heroin and booze will result in better outcomes because....?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

fits my needs posted:

So giving these same people a Mincome to have more money to spend on heroin and booze will result in better outcomes because....?

Maybe we should treat the mentally ill and drug addicted while also closing the wage gap so that the average person has actual stake in the economic success of his surroundings instead of just instituting regressive tax policies and hiding all the homeless from view.

Not that CA isn't lovely just saying.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
name one other state in the country that doesn't also treat it's homeless like poo poo and i'll show you a state that doesn't have homeless people

besides the east coast keeps busing their homeless over to us to deal with

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hope nobody in this thread is alive by tomorrow.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you ain't livin' in California you were never alive to begin with.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

lol you live in a city where the cops give money to people if they promise not to shoot eachother and follow thru

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

If you ain't livin' in California you were never alive to begin with.

I did some basic research on this and it checks out 100%

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

dick wizard posted:

Cool man. You live in Texas so you are allowed to have wrong opinions as far as I'm concerned. Whatever gets you through the day

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol you live in a city where the cops give money to people if they promise not to shoot eachother and follow thru

Yeah it loving sucks. It also hasn't helped with the violence much anyway. Pregnant lady got gunned down pretty close to where I live like last week I think. Sorry I live in Richmond and I'm not a white civil engineer transplant from New Orleans living with his doctor wife in Mountain View. :shrug:

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

a dog from hell posted:

I've been to the PNW and they hate your guts because you fuckers keep moving north. There's no Pacific loyalty, just white flight lol.

I'm from Portland and I can confirm this. Californians please stay the gently caress out.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The most vocal Portlanders are transplants themselves and are insufferable babies who think it's surprising that a state that contains 1/12th the population of the entire country has lots of people moving from it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

Yeah it loving sucks. It also hasn't helped with the violence much anyway. Pregnant lady got gunned down pretty close to where I live like last week I think. Sorry I live in Richmond and I'm not a white civil engineer transplant from New Orleans living with his doctor wife in Mountain View. :shrug:

yep it's p great we also qualify for subsidized housing and i'm pulling for one of those interest free loans that stanford offers their faculty

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Irradiation posted:

The most vocal Portlanders are transplants themselves and are insufferable babies who think it's surprising that a state that contains 1/12th the population of the entire country has lots of people moving from it.

i like that they're against educated and affluent white collar workers moving in and growing the economy

that's a terrible problem to have just awful

when we move there to buy a house the plan is to just omit the part where we lived in california and say y'all a lot

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thank you for moving. Now if we could just convince about 10 million people to do the same...

Tbh I don't blame you, I hate Silicon Valley despite having my roots there. That's why I gladly commute from Santa Cruz. Never made a better decision in my life (ok maybe asking my girl out back in college, but it's up there).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

"Here are the places I eat, as a resident of California." -posters in this thread, in multiple posts

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We like to tell other residents of CA good places to eat, what's the problem?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

We like to tell other residents of CA good places to eat, what's the problem?

He's just having a meltdown in the CA thread, nothing we haven't seen before

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yep it's p great we also qualify for subsidized housing and i'm pulling for one of those interest free loans that stanford offers their faculty

Good for you bro. I still wanna know why would you give up the chance to live like a king in Louisiana, to live in subsidized housing in California instead?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

Good for you bro. I still wanna know why would you give up the chance to live like a king in Louisiana, to live in subsidized housing in California instead?

that's just how medical residency programs work after med school

everyone finds out where they're goin on match day and then have like 5 weeks to move across the country

next spot down on the list would've been hopkins so i'm glad we ended up here and not baltimore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

horchata is good but the hibiscus drink is better

• Locked thread