Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
im genderneutral please call me it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Mnemosyne posted:

I've run into a shocking amount of people who are native to Orange County who have never even been to LA. I'm not a fan of LA myself, but it's like right there, and there's sometimes cool stuff up there that I want to do or see, and it's it only a 45 minute drive from where I am (45 minutes on a good traffic day, 3 hours in rush hour traffic). Yet somehow I've met many adults who were born in Orange county who have literally never made the drive to the 2nd largest city the US, which is only about an hour away from them. It boggles my mind.

They're also extremely unfunny.
There's a really bizarre OC/LA rivalry ("orange curtain") that just confounds me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

I moved to southern California (Orange county) a little less than 3 years ago. I'm originally from Baltimore. I haven't managed to get up north of LA yet, so I can't speak for northern California, but there are two things that strike me as different about people in southern California as compared to anywhere else I've been.

1) They're really self-absorbed in a general sense. Not necessarily on a personal level, though some of them are that too, but maybe insular is a better word to define it. They all seem to act like the entire rest of the US doesn't exist. Maybe even like the rest of California doesn't exist. They live in a little bubble where it seems like they don't even notice anything outside of their general metropolitan area. I agree that East Coasters believe that the middle of the US doesn't matter, but southern Californians take it to a much more extreme level. If it isn't within 40 miles in any direction from where they live, they have no clue about it, and no interest in it.

Very true.

quote:

I've run into a shocking amount of people who are native to Orange County who have never even been to LA. I'm not a fan of LA myself, but it's like right there, and there's sometimes cool stuff up there that I want to do or see, and it's it only a 45 minute drive from where I am (45 minutes on a good traffic day, 3 hours in rush hour traffic). Yet somehow I've met many adults who were born in Orange county who have literally never made the drive to the 2nd largest city the US, which is only about an hour away from them. It boggles my mind.

Yeah that's true. I haven't been to LA much outside of a handfull of times to various campuses (UCLA, etc) in the area. For me it's the "LA is always there why bother going this weekend" attitude.
It can take 4+ hours to get from/to LA in certain cases. 45 minutes is :stare: Watch Falling Down. I would kill for 45 minutes sometimes.

quote:

2) They treat their good friends weirdly. Where I'm from, you're really polite to people you don't know, or people you don't really like. When someone becomes a good friend, you tease them and make jokes about them. The closer the friendship, the more outrageous and rude you can get with the jokes, because if you're really close friends, it's clear that you don't really mean it. Out here, they don't do that. They don't even make the gentlest of teasing jokes to their friends. And times when Californians have witnessed me or my friends interacting with our East Coast friends, they look at us like we've suddenly grown three heads.

I have not had this experience. I bust balls/get balls busted all the time. Men and women friends.

I have noticed some East Coast non-gay men playing real physical grab-rear end before. Maybe it was repressed sexuality with those guys but the point is the distance which people are comfortable with each other is shorter for East coast people than it is for the West coasters. Don't believe me? Go to the Getty Center. The travertine marble is cut into blocks that are the interpersonal distance people on the West coast feel comfortable with.

Go to the Getty anyway. Great view. Beautiful place.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 4, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

There's a really bizarre OC/LA rivalry ("orange curtain") that just confounds me.

Also an OC/San Diego rivalry based on zip codes which I just don't understand. I have only seen this from San Diego dwellers though. Like guys telling girls "oh he's from the 714 you can't date him." Maybe it's a desperation thing.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cowens posted:

What's confounding? Orange county is full of rich white conservative assholes.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I can barely tell rich white libs and rich white conservatives apart. You're also discounting the gigantic Chinese (Irvine), Vietnamese (Garden Grove, Westminster, Irvine) and Hispanic (Santa Ana, Anaheim) population (who are also conservative assholes!!!)

Uncle Wemus posted:

california is only socially liberal at best they are still conservative as gently caress in a lot of ways

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Helical Nightmares posted:

Maybe it was repressed sexuality with those guys

probably not. It's actually almost certainly the opposite thing, where they are comfortable. Perhaps you have your own issues that you're projecting?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Orange county is full of rich white conservative assholes.

This is pretty much what all my LA friends say, but where I am the vast majority is Asian. Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese mostly, but some Japanese too. I think the middle easterners probably outnumber the white folks here too. There are lots of days when I spend an hour at the park and I'm the only white person there. They are all rich though. Ludicrously rich. But there's no black people.

The recent-immigrant Asian majority is generally pretty cool, because it means that I'm surrounded by amazing, authentic asian food of all kinds. I'm kind of starting to hate the recent-immigrant Chinese though, mostly because they all loving smoke like chimneys and I hate having to deal with their smoke. They also spit on the ground a lot, which is gross.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm kind of starting to hate the [...] Chinese though, mostly because they all loving smoke like chimneys and I hate [...] smoke. They also spit on the ground a lot, which [...]ross.

gently caress you it's their culture t:mad:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

2) They treat their good friends weirdly. Where I'm from, you're really polite to people you don't know, or people you don't really like. When someone becomes a good friend, you tease them and make jokes about them. The closer the friendship, the more outrageous and rude you can get with the jokes, because if you're really close friends, it's clear that you don't really mean it. Out here, they don't do that. They don't even make the gentlest of teasing jokes to their friends. And times when Californians have witnessed me or my friends interacting with our East Coast friends, they look at us like we've suddenly grown three heads.

WHat reality is this?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you don't like California, don't go there lol

If you're here and don't like it leave

if you're going to stay then learn some Spanish. The chillest people I know are second-third gen mexican folks, though they they tend to have the same love of lovely beer their parents had. You won't really need Spanish to communicate with them but it'll help with their older relatives and just general people during your day. I work with a couple Okies and when we have to communicate with a Spanish-only person they drag me out like I'm some kinda loving wizard instead of a guy who took two semesters in high school and kept practicing. I probably sound like a retard baby when I speak spanish but it's good enough for people to understand me and me to understand them, and most of them are happy as gently caress that I'm making the effort instead of just saying stuff slow and loud in English. Norteņo spanish is going to loving kill me, though, they talk so drat fast.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Mnemosyne posted:

The recent-immigrant Asian majority is generally pretty cool, because it means that I'm surrounded by amazing, authentic asian food of all kinds. I'm kind of starting to hate the recent-immigrant Chinese though, mostly because they all loving smoke like chimneys and I hate having to deal with their smoke. They also spit on the ground a lot, which is gross.
Try the chashumen from yushoken (in UTC across the street from UCI) or the spicy miso with extra pork from santouka ramen (either Costa Mesa Mitsuwa or Irvine Mitsuwa) or the singapore rice noodles from california wok (Costa Mesa, about a block from South Coast Plaza)

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
We need to vote out the american birth requirement to be president and vote in Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
amend 4 arnold

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This is the constant misconception. Rich, conservative and rear end in a top hat I'm not going to debate.

Mnemosyne posted:

This is pretty much what all my LA friends say, but where I am the vast majority is Asian. Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese mostly, but some Japanese too. I think the middle easterners probably outnumber the white folks here too. There are lots of days when I spend an hour at the park and I'm the only white person there. They are all rich though. Ludicrously rich.

This is correct.

Also Filipinos, Pacific Islanders and the rare Hawaiian.

A lot of the Vietnamese immigrants were and are currently sponsored by existing Vietnamese families in Southern California. Chain businesses like 85 degrees, Lee's Sandwiches, and 99 Ranch illustrate the maturing economic power of the So Cal asian community. Vietnamese are growing politically in power as well by securing seats in a local and state government.

Persians/Iranians congregate in Irvine, Armenians in Glendale, HIspanics in Santa Ana, etc. LA/SoCal is significantly more ethnically diverse than most people believe. Also a sprinkling of Palestinian, Egyptian, Syrian, UAE and Saudi Arabian in Irvine. Jewish population in Manhattan Beach and sprinkled around Laguna Nigel/Newport Beach?

The Korean/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese racism is interesting to watch. From the sidelines.

Mnemosyne posted:

But there's no black people.

:negative: Truth.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If you're here and don't like it leave

if you're going to stay then learn some Spanish. The chillest people I know are second-third gen mexican folks, though they they tend to have the same love of lovely beer their parents had. You won't really need Spanish to communicate with them but it'll help with their older relatives and just general people during your day. I work with a couple Okies and when we have to communicate with a Spanish-only person they drag me out like I'm some kinda loving wizard instead of a guy who took two semesters in high school and kept practicing. I probably sound like a retard baby when I speak spanish but it's good enough for people to understand me and me to understand them, and most of them are happy as gently caress that I'm making the effort instead of just saying stuff slow and loud in English. Norteņo spanish is going to loving kill me, though, they talk so drat fast.

:laugh: too true.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 4, 2016

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Korean/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese racism is interesting to watch. From the sidelines.
Dokdo belongs to Korea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i can tell you why there's a rivalry lol

the OC is full of rich loving idiots and everyone hates them

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Taima posted:

You have serious problems and should seek help.

CA is the powerhouse agricultural state, but it doesn't have water. The PNW has water, and is really pretty. Both are situated on the ocean. Resources aplenty.

*I did not advocate, at any time* that they should be a country, only that it would be a powerful country, which it obviously and objectively would.

I'm honestly not sure how to address your concerns at this point, sorry. Go ahead and take the last word. I'm going to the beach to watch the sunset.

"Look bro, I just said that what white separatists want would be the loving best, I didn't say it was 'feasible' just that it's objectively correct and good. I agree with white seperatists in principle, not practice." - guy who doesn't want the last word

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CA succession = white seperatism

lol

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

i can tell you why there's a rivalry lol

the OC is full of rich loving idiots and everyone hates them

gonna dick slap you slav :p

Keebler Cookout
Aug 25, 2014

Drinking is important to my well being.
drat liberals

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
last time i was in huntington beach some fuckboy jogging by wearing nothing but shoes/socks and some teeny blue shorties stopped and looked at me and said 'WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT'

I assumed he wasn't talking to me bc I wasn't loving looking at him so I turned around and no one was there. Then he said 'YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THIS IS MY BEACH' and I gaped at him for a moment and then he started jogging again

gently caress the OC

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
There's no rivalry between LA and the OC. LA is the second biggest city in this great nation and is a world class city. The OC has has what? The Balboa bay club and the most toll roads west of the new Jersey turnpike. I literally never heard of this supposed rivalry until this thread lol.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wouldn't say it's a rivalry as much as just gently caress the OC

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I guess it's something clueless transplants made up for some insane reason.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

last time i was in huntington beach some fuckboy jogging by wearing nothing but shoes/socks and some teeny blue shorties stopped and looked at me and said 'WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT'

I assumed he wasn't talking to me bc I wasn't loving looking at him so I turned around and no one was there. Then he said 'YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THIS IS MY BEACH' and I gaped at him for a moment and then he started jogging again

gently caress the OC

:iamafag:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Moridin920 posted:

gently caress the OC
Yep that's the Huntington Beach I know.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
sacramento is good and cool and cheaper than the bay area still by a little

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

if this were enough then threads like this one probably wouldn't happen

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

CA succession = white seperatism

lol

No, he wants to leave off the southern part of California and roll up Oregon and Washington.

Cascadia Now!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

the great deceiver posted:

sacramento is good and cool and cheaper than the bay area still by a little

EDIT: I have reconsidered and Sac is ok but still kind of bad

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 4, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

"Look bro, I just said that what white separatists want would be the loving best, I didn't say it was 'feasible' just that it's objectively correct and good. I agree with white seperatists in principle, not practice." - guy who doesn't want the last word

Keep going, really going places w/ this one Mr. Crazy Person, you're the crazy homeless person talking to a lamp post and playing with poo at the four way stop and you don't even know it

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

New q: is the average californian liberal as insanely eager to find racism in every little thing as that previous post suggets?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You don't have to be very eager to find racism in every little thing

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Sphinxster posted:

You don't have to be very eager to find racism in every little thing

Likely story from the racist police.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Likely story from the racist police.

How did you know?!

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

The best Californian was from Tennessee, we miss you Huell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctg-C9kG6W0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dogmeat posted:

The best Californian was from Tennessee, we miss you Huell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

"your dog is eating an avocado! I've never seen a dog eat avocados before! That dog ate EVERY SPECK of that avocado!"

"You want to see how to make a dog happy? Now that's an avocado eating dog!"

"It's been a great day- our avocado adventure - actually we saw a dog EAT AN AVOCADO Today. The grove we were just visiting - the dogs eat avocados and they have the healthiest and shiniest looking coat!!!"

• Locked thread