Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really hate the booking this season and/or certain storytelling decisions that get made that also highlight what frustrates me about the way LU works. Specifically, I really dislike the fact that Mil went over and holy poo poo that in-ring ending.

To clarify, I understand WHY Mil went over, he's like, one of the core characters of LU. That said, Mil has been boring me for a long time. I feel like he's one of those repeating minibosses in a JRPG that's a recurring character but as the game progresses, you just don't give a gently caress because you know he's just a miniboss. Matanza is everything Mil is but a lot better (other than the fact that I like seeing Catrina on my screen very much :allears:). Crane has been blowing me away with his performances, to the point that I now know what people were hyping him up for when WWE first signed him and subsequently wasted him. But he lost, totally clean, and to be honest I never once believed he was going to win. That's a problem. The match was awesome as gently caress, but I had no belief he had an honest chance. On the flipside though, I just don't buy Mil as the killer LU wants me to (probably, again, because Matanza took that mystique from him and then some).

A lot of the problem is how much LU films at once so they have no idea how over a person/storyline is going to get. Same thing happened with Pentagon through much of Season 1. That's not really LU's fault, but I wish I was surprised by the booking more often, and LU does a really good job of running characters into the ground. They've done it with Mil and Marty and they're starting to do it with Pentagon. I don't care how over it got, Pentagon breaking Brenda's arm was loving gross and gratuitous, and Striker had some line about "what separates LU from everyone else", and I'm like, that's not a good thing, dude. It's probably a contributor to LU's audience cratering after season 1. It's borderline impossible for intergender stuff to be done tastefully (arguably impossible) and Brenda's a goddamn manager, not say, Black Lotus. I dunno, I was really disappointed by this week's episode on many levels, and while I'm sure the break was a huge factor, it wouldn't shock me if stuff like that wouldn't have led to people losing interest anyway. Which is a shame, because there are so many things I genuinely love about LU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

That chair spot Crane took where he got dropped spine first on the back of the chair was gross. I like him a lot, so I hope he doesn't do stuff like that anymore.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I....kinda think I can see what the main event of Ultima Lucha 3 is gonna be after tonight.

I think.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghidzilla posted:

I....kinda think I can see what the main event of Ultima Lucha 3 is gonna be after tonight.

I think.

Pentagon Dark gradually working towards making his title match with Johnny Mundo a fair fight by stalking and snapping the arms of each Worldwide Underground member like a slasher villain over the course of several weeks sounds like a good time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure that's the first time Pentagon has put his hands on a civilian since season 1.

Also re: MOTY candidates, Aztec Warfare 2 was, for my money, the best ever match of a battle royal format. Granted I *hate* that format but Aztec Warfare made it fun.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 11, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Foochs - based on how the story appears to be going, it really seems like Mil and Catrina may be "bad guys" but will be opposed to Matanza. And based on history - Catrina took over Dario's temple when he ran off at the end of S1 and Dario wasn't too happy with it - they'll still be opposing hosses.

it certainly appears that Catrina will be coerced into squaring off against Matanza, Dario, and the group working to bring back the gods, heel/face alignment be damned

I agree that Brenda getting attacked like that is over the top and gross. Didn't like Striker's call of it either, Texano should've made the save IMO. But disagree about characters and writing. That week-to-week "oh this guy got over, PUSH HIM TO THE MOON!" mentality reacting quickly is a biiiiiiiiiig reason why WWE is weaker than LU or even NJPW when things are done longer-term.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Matanza ragdolling Mil will be fun

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Foochs - based on how the story appears to be going, it really seems like Mil and Catrina may be "bad guys" but will be opposed to Matanza. And based on history - Catrina took over Dario's temple when he ran off at the end of S1 and Dario wasn't too happy with it - they'll still be opposing hosses.

it certainly appears that Catrina will be coerced into squaring off against Matanza, Dario, and the group working to bring back the gods, heel/face alignment be damned

I agree that Brenda getting attacked like that is over the top and gross. Didn't like Striker's call of it either, Texano should've made the save IMO. But disagree about characters and writing. That week-to-week "oh this guy got over, PUSH HIM TO THE MOON!" mentality reacting quickly is a biiiiiiiiiig reason why WWE is weaker than LU or even NJPW when things are done longer-term.

I'd agree if Pentagon had been champ before and lost it. There's no excuse for Pentagon not to have been champ by now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, it looks like we're getting Gods vs Necromancers for the season finale. Wouldn't be terribly shocked if Mundo's manager is part of The Order and it just kinda ends up as Matanza, Cage, Johnny and some other goons in Dario's side Vs Catrina & Detective's side of Mil, Castro and either Vamp w/Puma or Mysterio w/Dragon Azteca Jr. plus Fenix or some other faces.

Kinda really hoping that the lizard and rabbit factions get in on this with opposing ends. Like, ultimately Mascarita Sagrada goes SSJ and his white rabbit magic heals Drago from his mind control chains.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I miss Mil's throne of skulls.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I want Pentagon to break everyone's arms and have a throne of shattered ulnas

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet, Bael (aka B-Boy) has been granted his release

Dude was killed off in season one, but was still locked up for the traditional 7-season contract. He finally requested his release, it was granted

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, it looks like we're getting Gods vs Necromancers for the season finale. Wouldn't be terribly shocked if Mundo's manager is part of The Order and it just kinda ends up as Matanza, Cage, Johnny and some other goons in Dario's side Vs Catrina & Detective's side of Mil, Castro and either Vamp w/Puma or Mysterio w/Dragon Azteca Jr. plus Fenix or some other faces.

Kinda really hoping that the lizard and rabbit factions get in on this with opposing ends. Like, ultimately Mascarita Sagrada goes SSJ and his white rabbit magic heals Drago from his mind control chains.

Where would Pentagon be in this? You have Mundo, so where's Penta? (Ostensibly) face side?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where would Pentagon be in this? You have Mundo, so where's Penta? (Ostensibly) face side?

Finally pull the trigger on announcing his connection to Fenix.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
That first match was really, really good :)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The show finally feels like it's getting momentum back.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Yeah, that was a really good episode. Two good matches and a fun brawl to finish. Looking forward to next week!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Barely on topic, but this seemed like the best thread to post it. I took a look back at Wrestling Society X, ten years later.

I wrote this like six months ago, but sometimes articles get thrown onto the shelf in case of a rainy day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This week's matches were fun and that Roster Riot was loving shenanigans. I kinda lost it when Dante Fox was just there, hanging out for no real reason but to be there.

Super pumped for next week.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
LU viewers are down about 20% from last week, I guess they listened to Striker

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I really hate the booking this season and/or certain storytelling decisions that get made that also highlight what frustrates me about the way LU works. Specifically, I really dislike the fact that Mil went over and holy poo poo that in-ring ending.

To clarify, I understand WHY Mil went over, he's like, one of the core characters of LU. That said, Mil has been boring me for a long time. I feel like he's one of those repeating minibosses in a JRPG that's a recurring character but as the game progresses, you just don't give a gently caress because you know he's just a miniboss. Matanza is everything Mil is but a lot better (other than the fact that I like seeing Catrina on my screen very much :allears:). Crane has been blowing me away with his performances, to the point that I now know what people were hyping him up for when WWE first signed him and subsequently wasted him. But he lost, totally clean, and to be honest I never once believed he was going to win. That's a problem. The match was awesome as gently caress, but I had no belief he had an honest chance. On the flipside though, I just don't buy Mil as the killer LU wants me to (probably, again, because Matanza took that mystique from him and then some).

A lot of the problem is how much LU films at once so they have no idea how over a person/storyline is going to get. Same thing happened with Pentagon through much of Season 1. That's not really LU's fault, but I wish I was surprised by the booking more often, and LU does a really good job of running characters into the ground. They've done it with Mil and Marty and they're starting to do it with Pentagon. I don't care how over it got, Pentagon breaking Brenda's arm was loving gross and gratuitous, and Striker had some line about "what separates LU from everyone else", and I'm like, that's not a good thing, dude. It's probably a contributor to LU's audience cratering after season 1. It's borderline impossible for intergender stuff to be done tastefully (arguably impossible) and Brenda's a goddamn manager, not say, Black Lotus. I dunno, I was really disappointed by this week's episode on many levels, and while I'm sure the break was a huge factor, it wouldn't shock me if stuff like that wouldn't have led to people losing interest anyway. Which is a shame, because there are so many things I genuinely love about LU.

re-read this, or read it for the first time. because it's the only truth anyone should ever know. If you disagree send me a pm

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mil is great but he's been defeated, killed, had his stable dismantled, and been smashed with weapons that should have opened his skull so many times that his mystique has worn off considerably. It's actually been comical the way he's been knocked out over and over the last few weeks. Like, I fully expect that the next time he makes his entrance, Famous B or some other random guy will smash him in the head with a brick. Catrina will just roll her eyes and sigh, "Okay, 897 left."

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I fell behind, but I'm back for the Cup. Let's do this!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Oh. Puma. Great. I mean, he's great, but...Pentagon.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

GOD loving DAMMIT JUST PUSH PENTAGON

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Xerzes posted:

Oh. Puma. Great. I mean, he's great, but...Pentagon.

Lucha Underground is going to go down in history as a flame that burned fast and bright while whiffing on Pentagón the entire time.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Jenkem Delivery posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT JUST PUSH PENTAGON

My head said Puma, but my heart said Pentagon...

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 24, 2017

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Uh...huh.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

What the gently caress?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

DARIO TOOK A 619!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That ending was dumb but Rey/Dominic vs Dario/Matanza is going to get eight stars.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This company has jumped the shark and is not even entertaining bullshit anymore (or is rapidly approaching that level), just regular old bullshit. HOW did Pentagon not win?

LU is rapidly approaching WWE levels of setting up fantastic stories and then doing literally the exact wrong things with the finishes.

Also oh boy now we get a heel vs. maybe-face but the whole loving season has been about him getting darker or whatever main event title match. Boy that's exciting.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 24, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This company has jumped the shark and is not even entertaining bullshit anymore (or is rapidly approaching that level), just regular old bullshit. HOW did Pentagon not win?

LU is rapidly approaching WWE levels of setting up fantastic stories and then doing literally the exact wrong things with the finishes.

Also oh boy now we get a heel vs. maybe-face but the whole loving season has been about him getting darker or whatever main event title match. Boy that's exciting.

They have no desire to book in response to people who get over because a) it's impossible because they tape entire seasons at once, and b) it would interfere with their grand, epic wrestling narrative or something.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Pentagon/Puma match was weird.

The pacing was all over the shop and there were a few semi-whiffed spots. Plus the camera work and editing were terrible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They have no desire to book in response to people who get over because a) it's impossible because they tape entire seasons at once, and b) it would interfere with their grand, epic wrestling narrative or something.
This excuse worked for season 1 when Pentagon got over unexpectedly. It doesn't work for seasons 2 or 3.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I was really expecting a Puma vs. Rey rematch. Puma vs. Mundo is always a good match, it just doesn't strike me as much of a big season ender at this point.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The show completely fell apart in the second season

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

This excuse worked for season 1 when Pentagon got over unexpectedly. It doesn't work for seasons 2 or 3.

Exactly. Pentagon has been the most over guy in the company by far since UL1 at least. You could've had antihero Pentagon finally conquering utter dickbag Johnny Mundo. Instead you have Pentagon vs. Hometown Hero With A Dark Master Or Some poo poo Prince Puma. Seriously what has been the point of the Puma/Vampiro thing, like at all?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hopefully Pentagon breaks some arms and inserts himself into the main event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They've been loving this whole season up, but I continue to BELIEVE.

• Locked thread