Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah I don't think Pentagon actually gives a poo poo about Chavo and Azteca other than "I broke these fools' arms once and I'll do it again if they come at me." With the Lotus Triad also apparently waiting in the wings, a lot of his angle right now is people wanting to come after him for past grievances, while he isn't focused on them at all. Which makes sense, at some point if you just run around breaking arms all willy-nilly, you're gonna reap what you sow. But this Chavo and Azteca thing clearly really isn't about Pentagon, it's more about Chavo and Rey.

And, I mean, people maybe don't want to hear this, but much as I love him, LU is never going to be just the Pentagon Dark show. It's never going to be any single wrestler's show. They just don't focus on one person to the exclusion of others in a "Roman Reigns push" kind of way. Pentagon is clearly one of the top dudes in the company - he dominated Matanza like no one else even if he didn't pick up the win because of the barbed wire bat, he's got the only singles win against Rey, and when Dario wants someone punished (Castro) he just throws them in a match against the arm-breaker. I think I can say without being too spoilery that there's great stuff coming up for my boy this season and no one needs to be having miedo for his position in the company.

But the show isn't going to revolve around just him. Matanza, probably the most dominant champ ever, isn't even the focus of the show right now. Even when Puma was champion and running hot, the show didn't revolve entirely around him. It's just not the way LU works, the show never lives or dies on one guy, and even the tip-top guys will take a backseat for awhile sometimes while some other blood feud(s) play out. Believe it or not, this Chavo/Rey/Azteca deal actually leads to one of my favorite pay-offs of the season and all this build is pretty necessary for that to make sense. Having Pentagon make a "guest appearance" in that feud last week makes a lot of sense since he had taken a loss to Rey and pinning Rey now plus the Castro match strengthens him up, and it also allowed the beat down by Chavo while still having Chavo be a chickenshit.

Just, in a show where everyone seems to eventually get a turn in the spotlight, you don't really have to sweat about how anyone is doing so much. They've got plans for Pentagon and they've planted a lot of seeds for his stuff already. But if you want a show where any particular person is going to be "The Guy" week after week, LU may not be for you.

Very much this, plus people sometimes forget that LU's structured very much like a traditional TV show. The beginning of the season is always set-up for what's going to play out over the rest of the episodes, plus the fallout from the last season, and then once Aztec Warfare happens things start picking up considerably, and then we start the build-up for Ultima Lucha. A traditional 'three act' sort of thing, Act 1 - Start of season to Aztec Warfare, Act 2 - Aztec Warfare to the build for Ultima Lucha, Act 3 - The Build to Ultima Lucha to Ultima Lucha itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I like that Dario has been characterized enough that this wasn't out of character for him. The only things he cares about are money, power, violence, the Temple, and his brother. He doesn't have to be a heel for no reason, Rey has never crossed him, and there's no reason he would want his main event to end in a wet fart DQ that sends one of his biggest draws away forever.

So, yeah, there were a lot of rumors swirling around before this match that Rey was about to go back to WWE. The crowd (including me) bought that false finish HARD, and after Dario restarted the match, the whole thing was super hot.

Nice side note from the taping, after Chavo got the whole "na na na, hey hey" treatment and he left, after the cameras were off, he came back in the ring and gave a speech. Saying that his roots dated back to wrestling here, and he may be done in the Temple but he's not done for good with wrestling, etc. He got a "thank you Chavo" and "Guerrerros" chant and it was a nice proper sendoff for a guy that is great at getting heel heat but the crowd actually likes as a real person.

Christ, I bought that false finish hard, and it's awesome that they're actively thinking about how wrestling 'works' when they're planning out things..that's why it was completely believable that the match would end like that, wrestling fans have been trained to expect that...and then turn it on it's head by having El Jefe come out and go 'that's a pretty loving stupid way to end a big match, so..gently caress that.' It's also awesome that they've built this weird trust between Dario and the fans...we just know when he comes out, poo poo's going to get taken care of.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I assume this ending is going to lead to Vampiro bringing back Puma as DARK PUMA!

I was expecting a weird swerve where Mil ends up putting Catrina in the coffin as a sort of 'you're not going to bring me back?!? Well now i've got you trapped, so you'll do whatever I tell you to do, i'm in charge now!'

And yeah, the arc has to be 'Puma is tempted by evil, loses his way, and then finds his way back to the light.' I wonder if this is Vampiro's way of getting back at Pentagon..corrupt Puma and then send Puma at Pentagon.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Ummm...guys?

From http://in5d.com/reptilians-and-the-council-of-13-2/

"The leader of the Earths Illuminati is called the “Pindar“. The Pindar is a member of one of the 13 ruling Illuminati families, and is always male. The title, Pindar, is an abbreviated term for “Pinnacle of the Draco”, also known as the “Penis of the Dragon”.

Daga got 'torn apart'..so..ummm..was Daga hosed to pieces by an Illuminati dragon?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I'm one of those people who was extremely down on Sexy Star winning the title, I thought (and still do) that it should have been Ivie if they wanted a women's champion..but after tonight, I have to eat a little crow on that and say that the story they told with it, and how over Sexy was with the crowd made it come off WAY better than it sounded on paper. At the end of the day, if Sexy winning the title made people happy? Then i'm ok with it.

Other thoughts:

I love how consistent the show is with it's own mythology..they talk about Rey as 'the king', almost like he's a god in his own right, and so it makes perfect sense that he gets the first pin on Matanza (with a little help from everyone in the match), and somehow it's believable in a way that it wouldn't be if it were anyone else. And while i'm not going to spoil anything, if I didn't know the story they were telling with Pentagon, this might have been the episode where I said 'gently caress this, I give up, they're never giving him the title', and I can't blame anyone who feels that way. I think the problem is, they're trying to tell the 'guy who does bad things to people has it come back to bite him in the rear end' story with Pentagon, and that would be great..if the fans saw him as someone who deserved to have his poo poo come back to bite him in the rear end, but they don't. The fans want 'kick-rear end skeleton ninja who breaks arms to be champion and break arms more' as the story, and so there's a disconnect there.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 18, 2016

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I could have my timeline way off, but wasn't Sexy's winning the championship also when she was doing her 'i'm going to decline/no-show events in Mexico where they want me to drop the title/i'm going to quit wrestling and go into boxing full-time' thing behind the scenes? They might have wanted a woman's champion, and then with her as plan b needed to get the title off of her just in case she quit wrestling or her issues tied her up and they couldn't use her.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

There are various reports around the 'net that LU is looking to greatly increase how much they pay their key people, Pentagon/Fenix/etc. for season 4, and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter says that Season 4 likely starts taping in October. Van Wagenen/DeJoseph are doing a panel at C2E2, and a couple of other summer conventions, so LU's not quite dead yet.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I am unironically glad for the good things Vampiro has done for this show but lol.

The twist that he's still backing Pentagon doesn't merit a mention because it doesn't make an ounce of sense and it's going to be on the writers to rehabilitate it. Like, it's a pretty good save for what would otherwise be just a story of one of your top talents leaving, but don't get a big head over it, Vamp.

If you want to "Pro Wrestling" it a bit...the Vampiro/Pentagon twist does make sense, even without the reveal of Vamp's master. Vamp is the master, Pentagon defeats Vampiro and declares himself to be the master now. Vamp betrays Puma when he's up against Pentagon because Pentagon is above him/the master now. The meta thing there is that Vamp/Pentagon/Vamp's master - who, thematically, looks like Pentagon is another side in the war of the gods. Death, probably. So, they took a hero, Puma, off the board and the championship is on their guy.

As i'm rewatching part 4, I missed the great character work by Matanza. The moment he gets in the cage, he locks on to Melissa and the ref in a " I was told to destroy what was in the cage. I am in the cage. I will destroy these" way and Dario has to use the key to break his focus on them.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I keep just thinking back to the Pentagon Dark vs Prince Puma match. Puma, by all means, did the most heroic good-hearted match in the history of Lucha Underground. He was the definition of a hero and stopped the most 'hated' villain of the show. Pentagon Dark steps in, with nothing to lose while Puma has to risk it all, AGAIN, and the crowd (and myself) explode for Dark. Puma looks back, teary-eyed and broken at the end as he steps away from the temple for the last time, and we're singing CERO MIEDO.

It's so fascinating to me just how over Pentagon was in the LU crowd. For good reason, but drat, even Effectively And Permanently Killing Puma Forever Via Cheapish Tactics And Interference wasn't enough to put a dent in the crowd's love for Pentagon Dark winning a title. I love this.

I was just telling my fiance about that. How the story was supposed to be Puma overcoming overwhelming odds, and the crowd being happy, to Puma getting betrayed and having it all taken away, and the crowd being sad/angry and wanting someone to avenge him. And then the crowd figured out what was happening, and no one gave a poo poo about that story anymore, they wanted Pentagon to beat the poo poo out of Puma. Technically, evil won, and the crowd loved every second of it.

• Locked thread