Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

I hope Texano wins the series if only so the Aztec God powers can make him a more interesting wrestler.

Then again, inheriting powers didn't do much good for the Disciples of Death, so.

I had thought that as well, but it's Dario, so I doubt things are entirely straightforward.

This season has been fantastic and Aztec Warfare III - especially the first half - was pure fire. I love a good Rumble/Aztec Warfare anyways, and this one was incredibly well booked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kinda super burnt out since I took most of season 3 today, after finishing season 2 on friday/saturday.

:psyduck: good lord, it's good to stop and chew your food sometimes, ya know?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanese women's wrestling (aka joshi puroresu or just joshi) is hard as nails, innovative, and as technical and hard as any men's wrestling out there. And especially the three showing up in LU are highly regarded in Japan as great workers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, that episode was pretty amazing. The joshi gauntlet was great, I loved how it ended and all of the high notes/spots.

...BUT KONNAN MIGHT NOT BE DEAD?!? Oh LU, I love you for going full Mortal Kombat on us.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

"Interesting"

As much as he usually gets a lot of poo poo for.. well, the things he does, Matt Striker's a surprisingly good fit for Lucha Underground. It may be that I haven't watched enough to get really sick of him, but his nerdery and him trying to put every single thing over is sort of what the show needs.

There are a few times where it's been eyeroll-worthy, but most of the time it works in a campy way. And I like the way both of them sell what and how they know, leaving the audience at home as the only people with full "knowledge" of what's going on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Still isn't up on Netflix in Japan. Considering they've got distribution with SamuraiTV (the all-wrestling and fighting satellite channel) it may not be available soon, sadly. And also the last year or so Netflix has gotten much stricter about *ahem* regional alignment between where you and your account are at any given time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I heard all of those complaints, but I only started watching from S2 forward and didn't notice them nearly as much there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kobra Moon dresses like Goro Majima from the Yakuza games, but without the eye patch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The tournament has been really good but too many of the matches have ridiculously overbooked endings. Some make it work - the Rabbit Tribe matches were fun. But the Worldwide Underground are creeping up the nWo Meter in regards to frequency and relevance of their run-ins.

The other issue to me has been the tighter refereeing for almost no reason. Lucha Underground has worked with pretty solid internal consistency, so to have a shift like this only works if given and explanation. There has been discussion by commentary but it's not enough.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also Dean has a better written character.

Mmmmmmmmnope.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pentagon needs to come to New Japan, but that's true of every talented wrestler. If he truly has Cero Miedo he would win the New Japan Cup or, hell, the G1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Foochs - based on how the story appears to be going, it really seems like Mil and Catrina may be "bad guys" but will be opposed to Matanza. And based on history - Catrina took over Dario's temple when he ran off at the end of S1 and Dario wasn't too happy with it - they'll still be opposing hosses.

it certainly appears that Catrina will be coerced into squaring off against Matanza, Dario, and the group working to bring back the gods, heel/face alignment be damned

I agree that Brenda getting attacked like that is over the top and gross. Didn't like Striker's call of it either, Texano should've made the save IMO. But disagree about characters and writing. That week-to-week "oh this guy got over, PUSH HIM TO THE MOON!" mentality reacting quickly is a biiiiiiiiiig reason why WWE is weaker than LU or even NJPW when things are done longer-term.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They're still utterly wasting Pentagon. He explicitly cannot cash in even IF he wins, which means they've still never made him LU Champ which is Stupid As gently caress.

Pentagon is over as gently caress and really doesn't need a belt though.

And yeah the mixed-tag match I actually thought did well - it told a solid story. Fenix got on top, he tried to bring Melissa Santos in to get the easy win, and it turned out to be not-so easy. Santos had fun little safe spots too. And Santos didn't get gigged either.

Looking forward to four weeks of Ultima Lucha, and finding out who Dario's boss is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

That can't happen unless the writers admit they wrote themselves into a home and waive the 1 week promotion rule.

go back and listen to what Striker said before the GOTG match - paraphrasing, it's "Dario needs sufficient time to promote the match." It's effectively been a one-week rule in the past, but we all know El Jefe gets into fits of blood-lust sometimes...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AAA was involved in this so of course a lot of the contracts are going to be on the terrible side for wrestlers.

I was hoping we'd get Cobb in the G1 but this probably makes it unlikely

How? G1 is only televised in Japan and on NJPW World. The G1 Special was a two-event show.

Anybody know if Ricochet matches ever showed up on AXXS TV coverage of NJPW?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It's on Itunes, isn't it?

yep, that's what I did. Didn't they have a deal with Netflix too?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Everything Cubsfan points out is 100% correct. Plus, the fact that it’s not like dirt sheets can ever spoil the recorded story segments which are as much a reason to watch as anything else (its easier now to find good wrestling via streams, but it’s hard to find this kind of wonderful Mortal Kombat style nonsense).

Somebody putting together dots based on social media is hardly a lawsuit that stands up in court, and most dirt sheet reports are hardly play-by-play of matches. And again, LU spoilers miss all of the storyline details by the nature of LU’s production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I get it, in sort of a roundabout way. The C&D is silly because the guy's just publishing news. But if they're making the audience sign NDAs and people violate those, they should at least have the right to subpoena the journalist to tell them who their NDA-breaking source is. Otherwise don't sign a contract.

If you’re a good journalist, you take multiple measures to alleviate this. Multiple sources, vetting of sources, and correct handling of the details, plus understanding if the information is on background or on the record.

And you tell a lawyer to loving pound sand before burning a background/anonymous source, especially for god damned wrestling news. It isn’t exactly Watergate.

• Locked thread