Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i hope there's less blood tasting in season 3 because that stuff just makes me avert my eyes and warner herzog says i shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

god drat vampiro is an ugly piece of poo poo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i've been tuning into el ray in between world series commercials...and uh, i think el rey is having split screen issues

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

a bunch of girls beat up all the LU favorites tonight

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Joshis aren't girls :mad:

all right, animes or whatever

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Moves get devalued over time. Look what happened to the drat ddt.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Suspension of disbelief is a very subjective thing but it's always been extremely important in professional wrestling. Jim Cornette did a good job of explaining it once, when he explained that of course he knew it was a work, but he could watch a really competitive match in the 80s and get lost in the moment if it was good enough and seemed real. If you take the same match and break an obviously fake cinder block over someone's head to finally pin them for a three count, that might ruin it for a lot of people because it's so obviously fake.

Even if you're watching LU with the idea that it's "comic book land," these rules still apply. It's like watching a movie with an obviously fake or botched special effect, or when action goes so over the top you can't get into it. You might just say "Eh, it's just a movie, who cares," but there's a line there for all of us. It's like when the redlettermedia guy joked that the scene in Force Awakens where they see the planets blow up from another planet took him out of the movie because you can't see poo poo happening light years away as it's happening. I didn't even think about it, but he's right, that's kind of stupid even in a movie about space wizards. The line is different for everybody. Some people get irritated by sci fi movies simply for having sound in space.

The problem with LU is that they push that line way more than other wrestling shows. I have no way of knowing, but I also assume more wrestling fans watch LU than hokey comic book fans. I know I am not a comic book fan, and while I'm willing to give it more of a chance than Corny, there have been several matches I just couldn't get into because of this. The Cage match where he kept getting smashed with obviously fake objects and just no-sold it, the nun-chucks match where people still had faces and intact skulls afterwards, Joey Ryan's obviously fake handcuffs, etc. are all good examples. I don't mind the backstage stuff AS much, but I also think there's an issue there because while a few of these guys are good actors, most of them are not. Joey Ryan, I'm looking at you.

It's a fine line and it's different for everyone. I also don't like it when wrestlers put their opponents through tables outside the ring and do all kids of ridiculous poo poo that gets kicked out of only to win with their mediocre looking finisher, because that's their finisher. Also, it's possible to like the Undertaker because of what he does in the ring but not care for all the goofy poo poo he's done outside the ring outside of camp value.

My point is, suspension of disbelief is still important in pro wrestling and dismissing that because everyone knows it's fake isn't a good argument. Might as well turn it all into a Michael Bay movie.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I don't think anyone's saying suspension of disbelief isn't important; it's more that if you're watching a show where one of the wrestlers is literally a time travelling spaceship and there are multiple instances of in-ring teleportation, and the part that breaks your suspension of disbelief is intergender matches, you might have some deeper issues to work out.

well that's the problem, there are a ton of things on LU that are just plain stupid even to pro wrestling fans. if you like it you like it, but i don't think it's fair to say that people are behind the times or their opinions are wrong just because they would prefer a more traditional format, which all indications seem show is way more popular overall today and certainly seemed to be the case when pro wrestling itself was way more popular -- and no i am not referring specifically to the attitude era here.

personally, i thought the CWC was better than anything i've seen on LU so far. just like i'd rather watch Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat than the Dungeon of Doom, except when he does the Flair flop. I hate it when he does the flop.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

fatherdog posted:

A) Nobody's saying that
B) Those people shouldn't be watching LU because that is explicitly not what it is, so what was the point of even bringing this up in the LU thread?

some people are saying it, for instance the person saying meltzer's opinion is outdated, and i was just criticizing LU in the LU thread, and i'm not even the one who started the discussion of why people don't like LU! i think the issue is this is the only wrestling thread where people actually seem to NOT like complaining about the product.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

well a.) that's not what my post was about, my post was about suspension of disbelief being a problem with LU; my second post was about traditional wrestling, b.) it was in response to other posts, and c.) i'm not going to stop watching lu.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

is there a reason i missed that the ninja ladies attacked pentagon and is it sexist to not want to see him in this particular feud?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i can't believe i don't remember any of that but i guess it's better than fighting loving vampiro

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why can't everyone just break joey ryan's arms/legs, send his wheelchair flying down the stairs like oj simpson in naked gun

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm excited because all 3 women are amazing wrestlers.

well either pentagon gets beat up 3 on 1 or pentagon beats up three women, which is still better than three vampiros in either case.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i want 1960s bob roop to put joey ryan in a sugar hold and then demand to know why he calls himself a wrestler. then maybe eddie graham could sucker punch him in the dick.

what i'm saying is he is an effective heel because i don't like him!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

el rey is a good network although they need to hurry up and have another toxic avenger/godzilla/v the miniseries marathon soon

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

than god. thank god thank god.

finally el ray announced another godzilla marathon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

a pentagon show is a good show. until vampiro becomes involved in the plot again.

i don't like vampiro!!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

seriously what kind of rear end in a top hat tattoos a skull on his neck

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"look at me, i'm a loving badass. i have a skull on my throat. i dive out of 3 story windows in fear if i think someone is in the house with me and break my back." -- vampqueero

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Vampiro is the type of guy that thinks gg allen is art. I bet he is a Juggalo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

god drat, could cage possibly do any more steroids? his thighs look like they're going to have a heart attack.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

OH WOW. Is this the first instance of reptilians in lucha underground?!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Oh poo poo, snake people!

i'm all in on this. lizardman is the best soul caliber character.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

It was probably a band name or something.

and knowing vampiro it was probably a loving horrible band that needs to be hidden from humanity anyway

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

So has this show resolved in any way the fact that its financier is in large part responsible for the rise of the president who hates its audience

for those of you who also didn't know what this means, he is referring to the producer (mark burnett) who also produced celebrity apprentice. looks like this show has a whole lot to resolve and until it does so i am organizing a boycott of this nefarious product.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

el rey network? more like el racist network. i can't believe they built their product on trump blood money.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

put Cage in an orange wig and have him take a bunch of piledrivers, obviously

Hmmm, not bad.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Benne posted:

Does Mark Burnett actually do anything with the show other than put his name in the credits

well he stores hitler in cryostasis on the temple set whenever they aren't doing shows

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If women are in the battle of bulls matches, shouldn't it be battle of the bovines?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I know at least one person that got El Rey on DirectTV but it was one of the channels that got spontaneously removed from her lineup recently.

DirectTV can suck my dick, by the way. They make my cable company look good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

this whole power gauntlet thing that cage is wearing is a little hokey even for lu standards.

well ok he took it off before the match, i can handle that

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Has there ever been a wrestler whose entire gimmick has been being kinda genre savvy? Like, whenever they hear the crowd suddenly cheering they actually looking around, or when people arrive at ringside to distract them they don't take their eye off their opponent

i remember JR commenting on the latter as something he never liked because it doesn't make sense that a trained athlete would lose their focus and turn their backs on their opponent just because someone's theme music hits or something. not that distractions can't be done properly, just that often they aren't.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so that was the season finale last night? lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I went to go watch tonight's episode, and got a message saying that Univision pulled all their channels from Spectrum due to their want for a fee increase.

I was really looking forward to seeing the first trios championship match tonight, too. Bummer.

Same. RIP my favorite channel for stupid kung fu movies and Godzilla marathons. I would like to hope they get this resolved somehow before airing V the miniseries again :(

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I need them to fix their nonsense before a Godzilla marathon comes on. I usually stop everything I'm doing to watch it. Hell, I will call out of work to watch it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

LU is back? I missed the memo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

giving kerry von erich a run for his money

• Locked thread