Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah
WP: 4/4 | Pyros: 6/11 | Health: [][][][][][][]
Beats: 0/5 | Vitriol: 0/5 | Conditions: -

With everyone inside the van, things can get a little cramped. Violet should be able to hold twice the people currently resting inside her, but the back wall on the driver's side, opposite the sliding door was taken up by a bulky cabinet that stretched the length and height of the full sized van. Only, instead of drawers, there were clear, plexiglass windows showing rocks and branches resting in wood shavings.

Most of the tanks seemed empty, maybe a glimmer or something deep inside a rock cave caught the eye, but others had their residents on full display, they're impressive or colorful, but only one is actually venomous and Tallulah had a vetranarian friend remove it's venom sacs, Shakes, the rattlesnake watches the throng with unblinking eyes while curled up on top his rock, soaking up the heat of the cabinet's built in lamp. One of her many cornsnakes, this one a bold white on black pattern, pokes its head out from it's cave and quickly retracts again when it detects movement. But the prize of Tallulah's collection, the snake that always draws a crowd, was the six foot long Mr. Wiggles, a Brazillian rainbow boa. Wiggles' tank stretched the entire bottom shelf of the cabinet, giving the snake only a couple more feet than it's length to stretch out. That was Mr. Wiggles spent most of his time coiled around the coat rack Tallulah had bolted to the inside of van, right behind the driver's seat. Whoever rode on the first of the two bench seats of the van, usually had the boa for a riding buddy.

The rest of the space was taken up by boxes. Cardboard, plastic, even a few metal buckets just overfilled with... junk. Well, not junk, Tallulah only saved important things, things with value. But value was in the eye of the beholder sometimes. A google eyed plastic spider crammed into a plastic bin had meant something to someone at some point, but to the others, all these things do was make the rides in the van stradle the line between comfortable and tolerable. Usually depending on how much of an aversion to snakes they had.

Coaxing Wiggles off his perch and onto her slim shoulders, Tallulah gathered up her hair, twisting into a knot around the gaudy "gem" encrusted crucifix she was rarely without.

"I don't think your froggy friend was responsible for those marks," she sighs dreamily, one hand stroking the reptile as the light glints off its scales. Her eyes follow Marx, watching the other woman rub her fingers over the carving. It was good to watch people, make sure they did things correctly.

She cocks her head, causing Wiggles to shift his weight a bit, "What do you think, Marx. It seems very bleak, very dire. Should we worry?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah

"Just what?" The snake charmer asks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah

If only her cards really could tell the future, Tallulah looks around for Toby, but the boy had gone. He was a sneaky one when he wished to be.

"Hmmm, yes, I think.... I think that you make a lot of sense Marx. We can't all stay together, Dolly and I perform at opposite ends of the lot but, we can make this work."

She firms her shoulders, settling into her chosen role, Tallulah's voice loses some of its dreamy tone, "'Zona, as soon as you finish your work, stick to Dolly. With luck one of you two will find Toby. Keep him near. Marx and I should stay together, with Cleo gone, I'll be doing fortunes as well as snakes tonight. That silver tongue of yours will make sure there are plenty of people waiting to get inside my tent. We'll be safe in a crowd."

With a pause, the snake charmer looks around, craning her head to see whatever it is that lurks just the other side of reality, "If there is trouble, we should meet back here at Violet. I don't think it's paranoid to say that none of us should leave the show alone, tonight. Even without those markings, 'Zona's froggo has to be getting ready to strike."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah

Arizona is on the receiving end of one of Tallulah's most beatific smiles, "Be as gruff as you like, 'Zona. I'm glad you'll be there for the others, you keep us all safer, you know."

The tammuz didn't believe in herself, but it was okay. Tallulah would believe enough for the both of them. She opens her mouth again, no doubt to impart more orders when a strange scene plays out. Louie walks to a rundown building and vanishes inside. She watches, unsure, silent.

Then the screams start. It takes her a few moments to realize that the only ones reacting to them are the four prometheans.

"I... um.... Yes. I feel as if we should go and find out what that is, instead. I feel as if we are about to find out the reason for those markings."

Sliding her van open, Tallulah coaxes Mr Wiggles back into his tank. She could set up her act later.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah

"Of course we save him," that pause of Arizona's was all the hint Tallulah needed to guess what the woman had been thinking. She had been thinking the same herself. It was so much easier to sit and watch, this is why she chose to lead.

Gently, deftly, she plucked the bejeweled cross from her hair, sending the unruly scarlet locks cascading down her back like wildfire. Her hands gripped the haft of the dagger tightly, but she didn't draw it from the sheath. Something about seeing the naked blade made her uneasy. Was it used on First Daughter? Why was it left when Mother fled? Why... but no, these were thoughts for another time. Now she had to marshal the others and protect the carnival. "Let's move out, troops," that was very authoritative, she had heard that line in a movie about war.

"Keep your eyes open and fingers on the trig- hmmmm.... Keep your eyes open, follow 'Zona."

Well, maybe other movies had more lines for her to use.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Talulah

The overgrown, abandoned tangle of a path smelled of regret and bad decisions, Talulah had to close her eyes for a second, forcefully recentering herself as her memory began to tumble in upon itself. It was a month since Mother had left her and the house had begun to take on a sinister air. Talulah had some innate sense that this was her fault, but she didn't know why or what she could do to stop it. The stairway up to the second floor, to the bedroom of First Daughter, the place Talulah still slept, beckoned to her, she had spent the entire day peeking out from between the curtains, watching people walk by.

So she climbed.

And climbed.

And kept climbing for far more than the fourteen stairs that made up the staircase, but there she was, in the middle of the stair case, seven steps below her, seven steps above. She took the next step and the next and the one after that but that upper landing never drew closer. Panic started to rise and as the fear swelled within her, she saw something move on the wall. A wisp of shadow with red eyes and white teeth, reached out and pulled... something from her, cramming it into its gnashing maw. A thought occurred.

It was eating her fear. She knew there were things out there, the stuff that flowed through her veins and out of her scars was the same stuff these things were made of. Spirits. And this one was eating her fear, because she had summoned it, created it. The solution seemed obvious, if it fed on fear, she needed to not be afraid.

Talulah climbed those stairs for a very long time before she mastered her fear. Every time she had to go up or down she faced the same trial and each time it became easier. This path, long disused evoked the same twinge of fear, but she would not give into the emotion. Maybe there was a spirit here, maybe there wasn't but the fear did nothing and she needed to be strong for her throng.

When they finally pass through and find the old woman in her run down shack all Talulah could feel was pity. Well, disgust too. This woman obviously had no money and so was a bad person. Maybe not even a person? But mostly pity, until she remembered why the created had come here. Louie and his screaming.

“I'm sorry... we're sorry, but a business associate of ours just came through here. We were worried. Did you see him?”

She bends forward and smiles gently, almost but not quite reaching for the spattered handkerchief, "Are you alright, I'm a good listener if you need to talk."

Attempting to win over this lady's trust
man+emp: 6d10o10h8 4
I get exceptional success at 3 for manipulation

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Talulah

This old woman feels wrong. Briefly, Talulah wonders if this is what real people feel around her. But before she can respond, 'Zona makes her play. Nervously, she plays with her crucifix, her thumb tracing the outlines of the glass jewels, the pressure almost enough to click the hidden blade out from the sheath.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Talulah

"'Zona!"

It's a harsh bark, totally unlike Talulah's normal dreamy voice. Her eyes are hard and very much focused on Arizona. At least, the gaping infinite voids that the Tammuz sees gives that impression. The whispy tendrils of ectoplasm leaking from Talulah's skull writhe like one of her snakes.

Slowly, after holding the other promethean's gaze longer than would normally be polite, her face softens and her voice regains some of it's normal lightness, "I don't think this woman is the problem. I feel as if it may be this... this house. Feel it, it's wrong. It's like us? This may have been the warning. Take the others, go look but be alert. We will need your ferocity, we will need your fire if this is as bad as I think. Save your anger for what waits inside, I think."

She punctuates the order with a smile.

Gently, Talulah kneels down and reaches for the book, giving it to the old woman.

"I'm so sorry, we're just upset over our friend missing. Here, this is yours. Would you like me to cover you up? Or out you back in your chair?

"Or... take you from here?"

She wonders at this house, the path to it. Everything is off and strange and she studies her surroundings. There are signs when spirits are near. Everything leaves tracks if you know what to look for.

Trying to get the old woman to calm down and trust me. Trust (man+emp): 6d10o10h8 1

Trying to look for signs of spirits, any clue as to what's going on with this house. signs of supernatural (wits+occ): 4d10o10h8 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah
WP: 4/4 | Pyros: 6/11 | Health: [][][][][][][]
Beats: 0/5 | Vitriol: 0/5 | Conditions: -

"This is a Red House and it is our ruin," she mumbles, eyes flicking from the roof to the... the body, now. It's just a body.

Her only response to Zona's cajoing is to silently pull her needle sharp blade fully from it's sheath. The metal gleams, it is hungry. Tallulah is hungry. And angry.

inititave+5: 1d10+5 13

• Locked thread