Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

RandomNinja posted:

This is also one of my favourite Spider-Man game. It has all the good parts of Ultimate Spidey, which is the only good Ultimate, and has all the good parts of the Spider-Man 2 game. The alternate costumes are good, if annoying to unlock, and because the art style is what it is, it ages a lot better. It's a competent game that holds up, even to current Spidey Standards.

Everyone loves The Ultimates and nobody ever had anything but praise for those comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Everyone loves The Ultimates and nobody ever had anything but praise for those comics.

The Ultimates vol. 1, good. Probably has the funniest Cap line in history. Vol. 2 is also good. Then it goes off the deep-end. Like, it waded in the deep-end in vol. 2, but oh boy does it take the loving plunge.

poo poo gets weird is what I'm saying. Really took the grimdarkness to a different level. Also, it eventually just turned in to the needlessly complicated and convoluted Avengers/Secret Avengers/Ultimates/New Ultimates crap from the main universe.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RandomNinja posted:

poo poo gets weird is what I'm saying.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RandomNinja posted:

Also, it eventually just turned in to the needlessly complicated and convoluted Avengers/Secret Avengers/Ultimates/New Ultimates crap from the main universe.

New Avengers looked like it was going to be something but they just didn't have any good stories and the Ultimate universe was on death's door. Then again I think I say that because I liked what they were doing with Cloak and Dagger but I guess Miles Morales is the only survivor :(

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
The first stories of Ultimate Fantastic Four were also very good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

How did y'all feel about the "Ultimate Avengers" film?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

These cutscenes are loving gorgeous.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

How did y'all feel about the "Ultimate Avengers" film?

I thought it was pretty meh,myself. I'm more of a fan of Earth's Mightiest Heroes (a FAR superior product).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, people were full of praise for the first two volumes when they first came out, but honestly in hindsight they were all style and no substance and pointlessly 'gritty'. And most everything after that was a tire fire.

I mean, people talk about how it inspired the MCU, but aside from Samuel L. Jackson as Fury and some of the costumes, it was all very clearly in the classic Marvel mode.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much the only universally-agreed 'good' Ultimate comic.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 7, 2017

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much the only universally-agreed 'good' Ultimate comic.

I mean, by most reasonable people sure. But there are some people out there that really hate Brian Micheal Bendis.

Like, really hate his writing. I like it, but maybe that's because Ultimate Spider-Man was my first real exposure to comics?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomNinja posted:

I mean, by most reasonable people sure. But there are some people out there that really hate Brian Micheal Bendis.

Like, really hate his writing. I like it, but maybe that's because Ultimate Spider-Man was my first real exposure to comics?

I think even most people who hate Bendis agree that USM is good.

He has certain strengths and weaknesses. When he plays to his strengths (USM, Daredevil, Alias), he's amazing. However, some people (myself included) feel that he can sometimes struggle to distinguish his characters' voices and might play a bit looser with characterization than readers might like (e.g. Hawkeye suddenly being willing to kill people). And well, the less said about Civil War II, the better. He rather fumbled the ball when it came to Ultimate End.

But yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the best versions of the character ever written.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I can't join in singing the praises of this game, I played it for the first time recently and was rather disappointed. It's basically a series of awesome boss battles with an in-between filler of side missions that grow real tedious real quick because of the simplified combat system.

I'd have probably had more fun if I just blazed through the story, but I tried to play it like Spider-man 2/3 (where I had tons of fun just dicking around in the open world). It's pretty barebones content-wise too.

The graphics and the fourth-wall-breaking artstyle are still gorgeous and clever though. And it's going to be nice being able to get the whole story at least (because the Xbox emulator on the 360 skips some of the cutscenes for some reason).

edit - Also the Ultimate universe is cool and good at its best (so basically the beginning), and hit-and-miss at its worst. Everything by Jeph Loeb is cancer (this statement is also true outside of the Ultimate universe). I'll certainly miss it, I had a soft spot for the assorted Marvel imprints in general - MC2, Adventures, MAX, they all had their moments.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 7, 2017

heyzeus
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, it's embarrassing but I was stuck and gave up at the Electro chase for years. Decided to play again around 2013 or so and finally beat it, but I think having this chase so early (particularly without checkpoints) was a really bad design choice.

Unlike the art direction/style, which is still one of my favorites (alongside Crackdown which I just realized is so similar, thanks to the comic book cel-style). As a kid I disliked the movie games' art direction for some reason, and watching them, the realistic bent they both had haven't really aged well (unlike this and even the PS1 games). Too grimy?

(Been watching since the beginning but I just wanna say thanks for the LP so far)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pizdec posted:

I can't join in singing the praises of this game, I played it for the first time recently and was rather disappointed. It's basically a series of awesome boss battles with an in-between filler of side missions that grow real tedious real quick because of the simplified combat system.

I'd have probably had more fun if I just blazed through the story, but I tried to play it like Spider-man 2/3 (where I had tons of fun just dicking around in the open world). It's pretty barebones content-wise too.

The graphics and the fourth-wall-breaking artstyle are still gorgeous and clever though. And it's going to be nice being able to get the whole story at least (because the Xbox emulator on the 360 skips some of the cutscenes for some reason).

edit - Also the Ultimate universe is cool and good at its best (so basically the beginning), and hit-and-miss at its worst. Everything by Jeph Loeb is cancer (this statement is also true outside of the Ultimate universe). I'll certainly miss it, I had a soft spot for the assorted Marvel imprints in general - MC2, Adventures, MAX, they all had their moments.
I think I actually got into comics via MC2 and Ultimates, what up imprint buddy. :spidey::respek::spidey:

heyzeus posted:

Yeah, it's embarrassing but I was stuck and gave up at the Electro chase for years. Decided to play again around 2013 or so and finally beat it, but I think having this chase so early (particularly without checkpoints) was a really bad design choice.

Unlike the art direction/style, which is still one of my favorites (alongside Crackdown which I just realized is so similar, thanks to the comic book cel-style). As a kid I disliked the movie games' art direction for some reason, and watching them, the realistic bent they both had haven't really aged well (unlike this and even the PS1 games). Too grimy?

(Been watching since the beginning but I just wanna say thanks for the LP so far)
Yeah, I got through that chase by the skin of my teeth back when I had this game.

I did genuinely enjoy it, even though I sucked so badly at it. Definitely agree the Cel-Shaded graphics have aged phenomenally.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

You should've really just focused on the main story yeah, I imagine that would've been way more enjoyable.

heyzeus posted:

Maybe the Electro fight was actually as infamous as I originally anticipated.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The man currently glowing and floating on a disc of electricity: Come and get me, you freak

That Electro segment is really quite frustrating. I spent a lot of time failing that chase. And as an added bonus, I didn't realize I had to destroy the signs as a kid. So it took me even longer to get through everything. I'm pretty positive that chase sequence has a checkpoint. I may be wrong, but I think you can hit a fire hydrant and douse Electro with water to turn him all normal so you can smack him.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think even most people who hate Bendis agree that USM is good.

He has certain strengths and weaknesses. When he plays to his strengths (USM, Daredevil, Alias), he's amazing. However, some people (myself included) feel that he can sometimes struggle to distinguish his characters' voices and might play a bit looser with characterization than readers might like (e.g. Hawkeye suddenly being willing to kill people). And well, the less said about Civil War II, the better. He rather fumbled the ball when it came to Ultimate End.

But yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the best versions of the character ever written.

I've not read his current Jessica Jones series, but pretty much this. Bendis is one of the best writers Daredevil ever had and USM was consistently good when it wasn't fantastic, but...

Well, again, pretty much this. He's best when focused on street level heroes, but when he does Big Events or stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, he visibly founders around. He's also one of the many writers who grew up with a crush on Kitty Pryde and had her join the Guardians for a spell (I think she even became Star Lord for a time), and she dated Peter for a while in the USM line as well.

And seriously, Civil War 2 was a loving tire fire. I don't know if SA has a comics thread, but I spent a fair while last year reading scans of it on Spacebattles and wondering what the hell.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

why did they do another Civil War when most comics people agree that the first Civil War was terrible? Then again, we also got Ultimatum and then Ultimate End or whatever and...have Marvel big events every been good? Or is it just that in the 21st century the writers don't know what they're doing?

Well, maybe not since we also got Spider-Verse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GoneRampant posted:

I've not read his current Jessica Jones series, but pretty much this. Bendis is one of the best writers Daredevil ever had and USM was consistently good when it wasn't fantastic, but...

Well, again, pretty much this. He's best when focused on street level heroes, but when he does Big Events or stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, he visibly founders around. He's also one of the many writers who grew up with a crush on Kitty Pryde and had her join the Guardians for a spell (I think she even became Star Lord for a time), and she dated Peter for a while in the USM line as well.

And seriously, Civil War 2 was a loving tire fire. I don't know if SA has a comics thread, but I spent a fair while last year reading scans of it on Spacebattles and wondering what the hell.
He didn't just have Kitty become Star-Lord, he had her marry the previous one (also named Peter). Then there was the whole 'retconned Kitty's previous love interest into being gay' kerfuffle.

And we don't just have a comics thread, we have a whole drat comics subforum!

Aces High posted:

why did they do another Civil War when most comics people agree that the first Civil War was terrible? Then again, we also got Ultimatum and then Ultimate End or whatever and...have Marvel big events every been good? Or is it just that in the 21st century the writers don't know what they're doing?

Well, maybe not since we also got Spider-Verse
Well allegedly, Bendis pitched the idea originally before they came up with the title and they only later realised 'hey, it's heroes vs. heroes again! Let's call it Civil War II!' and it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact Marvel Studios just released Captain America: Civil War around the same time.

Most people seem to agree that Secret Wars was quite good (although the tie-ins varied in quality, the 'main' story was largely agreed to be excellent. Although the lead-in was A Matter Of Some Debate).

Also, did you just imply Spider-Verse was good? Because if so, you and I are enemies now. :arghfist::spidey:

But we're getting somewhat off-topic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

But we're getting somewhat off-topic.

Hey you're allowed to talk about comics all you want.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, did you just imply Spider-Verse was good? Because if so, you and I are enemies now. :arghfist::spidey:

Listen, Spider-Verse may not have been hot poo poo, but it wasn't terrible. It was a neat tie-in to the whole Multiverse thing, plus seeing various versions of Spidey was cool and good. It was a love letter to spidey, with some weird dumb poo poo tacked on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Silver Doofus is more like it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomNinja posted:

Listen, Spider-Verse may not have been hot poo poo, but it wasn't terrible. It was a neat tie-in to the whole Multiverse thing, plus seeing various versions of Spidey was cool and good. It was a love letter to spidey, with some weird dumb poo poo tacked on.

Alright, let's talk about Spider-Verse

Yeah, it was so great to see all those alternate versions of Spidey...getting killed off by crappy derivative villains. My personal favourite was when Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends, you know the ones from the children's cartoon, got murdered and the dog was left to cry over their corpses. That was a real love letter, all right!

Sure was nice how the 'main' Spider-Man knew the weakness of the villains from the outset, but never mentioned it to anyone and it took Slott's latest pet character to stumble onto it rear end-backwards (plus a tie-in in Spider-Man 2099 to find out the exact same thing). It's quite clear that Slott really didn't rewrite it that much from when it was supposed to be Superior Spider-Man as the lead (which in that case would have made sense why he wouldn't know). And the big climatic event, with 'every Spider-Man ever' vs. the Inheritors, was largely kept offscreen while team Main Character were left to fight the main two big dudes.

There were good parts of Spider-Verse, but virtually all of them were, unsurprisingly, not written by Dan Slott. They're good in spite of the main story, not because of it. Mainly because they focus on what the story should have been about (the various Spider-Men interacting) and not the dumb mythology/pet characters Slott developed.

Yeah, you have to wonder how the hell Sable got away with bringing her goddamn private army on the streets of NYC without the authorities descending on her like a ton of bricks.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

The bounty on State of Emergency made me giggle far more than it had any right to.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, you have to wonder how the hell Sable got away with bringing her goddamn private army on the streets of NYC without the authorities descending on her like a ton of bricks.

There's some MGS-level politics just waiting beneath the surface.

KieranWalker posted:

The bounty on State of Emergency made me giggle far more than it had any right to.

I can say the joke was actually worth it now. I mean, insofar as it was meant to make people laugh. I would totally pay a nickel to see a State of Emergency LP.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Alright, let's talk about Spider-Verse

it's all worth it for the part where the evil dude goes to newspaper spidey world and can't deal with it

also when he eats a delicious hostess fruit pie

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think I actually got into comics via MC2 and Ultimates, what up imprint buddy. :spidey::respek::spidey:

:respek:
However, I more-or-less stopped reading comics circa 2012 and have no idea what y'all are talking about now, so instead here's a couple of observations on the new video:

- The Beetle chase/fight is pretty hard, but in a good way - it relies on you honing your individual skills (vertical maneuvering, dodging while approaching a specific point) so that you better react to what's happening, rather than just memorizing the whole path like the Electro chase. That really was an awful bit of game design.

- Yay, Jennifer Hale's here! Jennifer's here! :neckbeard:

- Was time supposed to freeze for everyone except Venom in that cutscene after the Sable fight? :raise:

- I'm glad they brought in the original creators, Bagley's artstyle survived the transition to 3D quite well, and you can really identify the iconic Bendis voice in the story (in a good way). I'm talking about the general legacy-of-our-fathers themes, but also the little touches that make this version of the franchise unique, like Spidey being a complete spaz and everyone figuring out his secret identity in an average of 5 minutes. It all contributes to the authenticity and the general veneer of "just another storyline of the comic book except in video game form!" they were going for.

- I guess the cool "silent/ultraprofessional assassin" reimagining of Beetle is to make up for teasing him in a cutscene in Enter Electro and then completely forgetting about him?

- Why did you start cursing like a sailor for your recent couple of LPs? I mean, it's not like this forum is for good, clean Catholic LPs for the whole family, I'm just curious. Are you going for some Youtube AVGN-type cred or something?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

:respek:
- Why did you start cursing like a sailor for your recent couple of LPs? I mean, it's not like this forum is for good, clean Catholic LPs for the whole family, I'm just curious. Are you going for some Youtube AVGN-type cred or something?

I always say pretty much exactly what's on my mind, and when I curse it's usually because I'm getting incredibly passionate about the game I'm playing, so they just slip out. There've been a few previous LPs where I cursed a lot, like Dynasty Warriors Gundam and even Chameleon Twist.

PaulMorel
Oct 16, 2008
Jesus, I don't come here in one year and you are still playing this spider poo poo.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PaulMorel posted:

Jesus, I don't come here in one year and you are still playing this spider poo poo.

I laughed, thank you for that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is the worst game of hot potato.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

This is the worst game of hot potato.
MJ's ghost quilt on the bed there is freaking me out. I'm constantly wondering whether something is a glitch or intentional with these cutscenes.

The focus on the open world (which is pretty limited by itself), the lack of locations, and lack of content in general is one of my main gripes with this game. It's weird that the only game in the series that wasn't bound by a movie-related deadline is the one that seems the most rushed, but sure enough - when you look at the release schedule it was wheezed out barely a year after Spider-man 2.

I wouldn't have minded so much if the game was actually upfront about being a short-but-sweet experience, but it tries to trick you into goofing around by giving you poo poo to unlock all around the map! :rant: At least it was one of the last games to have the goddamn decency to give you the option to say gently caress it and put in a cheat code.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

It's really hard to provide quality commentary on episodes when you post so fast. Only so much Spider-nerding I can do.

So, silver sable is interesting. A big part of the game's release was claiming it was going to affect the comics, that this was entirely canon. And it was, sort of. You see, while the venom arc occurs almost identically, there are certain things that don't quite mesh. Silver Sable is one of those things.

While they play up this big "Silver Sable is a bad person oh no", in the comics, not only did Silver Sable not know Spider-Man, but she also sucked. So this is when the tie-in starts to unravel.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

I wouldn't have minded so much if the game was actually upfront about being a short-but-sweet experience, but it tries to trick you into goofing around by giving you poo poo to unlock all around the map!

Yeah, I was not a fan of this decision at all. Wish they would've focused entirely on the StoryMode and left the Open World for after.

RandomNinja posted:

You see, while the venom arc occurs almost identically, there are certain things that don't quite mesh.

Didn't Beetle also capture Venom in that version?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The freaking Goblin chase is my least favorite part of this game, mainly because it took me like a dozen attempts before I managed to finish it. I was getting pretty tired of him by then.

Edit: Though Spidey's exchange with Sharon Carter at the end of the boss fight is one of my most favorite lines ever.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 11, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

The freaking Goblin chase is my least favorite part of this game, mainly because it took me like a dozen attempts before I managed to finish it. I was getting pretty tired of him by then.

The chase or the fight itself?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the Goblin Chase/Fight was where I threw in the towel on my playthrough.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the Goblin Chase/Fight was where I threw in the towel on my playthrough.

What was difficult about him for you? I don't mean to be condescending, to be clear, just curious.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What was difficult about him for you? I don't mean to be condescending, to be clear, just curious.

I think it was just I kind of sucked at the game. I kind of suck at doing combos on a gamepad in general. I think I got to the fight in the UN building and couldn't dodge well enough. He seemed to set most of the place on fire in my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't find the fight that difficult, I just made it longer for myself than it had to be by jumping away from the Goblin when he did his big shockwave and trying to maneuver back to him when he was dazed. I turns out you just jump straight up and immediately be back where you have to be to kick his rear end. :doh:

Also I thought the fire grew automatically while the fight progresses. It turns out you can either gently caress yourself over by accidentally guiding the Goblin to places he can set on fire if you don't know that, or make things easier for yourself by avoiding them if you do.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 11, 2017

• Locked thread