Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone play the Dreamcast version of 2000? It seemed like kinda the best of both worlds, you get sharper graphics than either version and the PS1's cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Did anyone play the Dreamcast version of 2000? It seemed like kinda the best of both worlds, you get sharper graphics than either version and the PS1's cutscenes.

The Dreamcast version is very similar to the PC version, just less buggy.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Yay, my Spidey fix is here! :dance: Are you going to do any comparisons between the games and their ports like you did with Iron Man? 'Cause that was cool.

I played Spider-Man 2000 over and over as a kid, so I pretty much got every level memorized even all those years later. This one, I played one or two times so I only remembered glimpses, like it featuring The Awesomest Most Bestest Spider-Man Villain (Except For Venom) The The Shocker, being able to go on the ground level, the terryfing Lizard battle, being weirdly proud of having a bootleg copy of the original print (with the Towers intact), and the bizarre audio issues which I chalked up to the emulator, but which it turns out are part of the package.

It a weird nostalgic trip for me, and to be honest, the game still seems awkward and unpolished. Or maybe I'm just being salty from not being able to beat it as a kid without savescumming like crazy - it introduced new challenges that have very specific solutions, which I wasn't able to figure out. I found the predecessor much more intuitive at the time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Yay, my Spidey fix is here! :dance: Are you going to do any comparisons between the games and their ports like you did with Iron Man? 'Cause that was cool.

I played Spider-Man 2000 over and over as a kid, so I pretty much got every level memorized even all those years later. This one, I played one or two times so I only remembered glimpses, like it featuring The Awesomest Most Bestest Spider-Man Villain (Except For Venom) The The Shocker, being able to go on the ground level, the terryfing Lizard battle, being weirdly proud of having a bootleg copy of the original print (with the Towers intact), and the bizarre audio issues which I chalked up to the emulator, but which it turns out are part of the package.

It a weird nostalgic trip for me, and to be honest, the game still seems awkward and unpolished. Or maybe I'm just being salty from not being able to beat it as a kid without savescumming like crazy - it introduced new challenges that have very specific solutions, which I wasn't able to figure out. I found the predecessor much more intuitive at the time.

I'll play the other versions of Spider-Man 2000 at some point for the sake of comparison, and probably show the Wii/PS3 versions of Web of Shadows together.

I already played the inferior version of Spider-Man 3, so aside from mentioning my experiences with that one a few times I probably won't compare the two. They're just way too different in terms of mechanics and design. Same for Spider-Man 2.

When I was younger I also got frustrated at Enter Electro because I couldn't figure out what to do, but as an adult the things it asks of me seem a lot more reasonable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The penultimate level(s)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The final level(s)

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Huh, this game is a lot shorter than I thought. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by the quality of the soundtrack, something about it rubs me the right way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

WombatCyborg posted:

Huh, this game is a lot shorter than I thought. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by the quality of the soundtrack, something about it rubs me the right way.

It was composed by Tommy Tallarico, the same composer from the first title. He tends to make appropriately energetic game music and sometimes does sound design. I believe he even did the sound design for Maximo (though not the music).

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It was composed by Tommy Tallarico, the same composer from the first title. He tends to make appropriately energetic game music and sometimes does sound design. I believe he even did the sound design for Maximo (though not the music).

Tommy Tallarico is also the public face of Video Games Live, a touring orchestral performance of video game music. He knows what he's about and he's clearly never stopped caring.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Oh wow, now that we're finished with the main part of the game, the story here is just all over the place. As a kid, I remember constantly scratching my head at some parts, but just chalked it up to being a kid and not knowing English that well. But no, the story is just a mess, even by 90's PSX game standards.

I mean, going back to the first scene with Hammerhead, Electro introduces him as someone who'll take care of Spider-Man, Hammerhead goes in, does a really bizarre reference to The Untouchables (unlike 15 years ago, I actually know the reference now, and it's still incomprehensible), and concludes that he can't do anything unless the others take care of Spider-Man. So, wait, who's on Spidey duty again?
Okay, it's a video game, you just assume you'll end up fighting all the villains anyway... except you don't. The Beetle is there. The Beetle has been set up before Hammerhead. You don't fight the Beetle anywhere in the game. Why introduce a new villain as an excuse for a boss fight when you already have a boss fight set up? And why with an overreaching Untouchables allusion? Arggghh
Anyway, we move on to the Lizard and what's this? It turns out the company he's working for is into all sorts of "diabolical experiments"! Why is a good guy like Connors working for them? Did they kidnap him? Blackmail him? Did they force his transformation somehow? Who cares it's never referenced again.
Then Electro gets wind of the diamond or sapphire or whatever because he deduces that no one would build a device that runs on something that doesn't exist. Instead, it turns out, only one such item exist. And since it's been established that under normal, non-Electro circumstances a single device can power a city block, congratulations Doctor, you just spent your entire life building the equivalent of a singular big generator. Why this is much more rational, good job drawing attention to it developers!
Oh no, Electro is bringing the samurai to life! With his electricity! By interfacing with the electronic components of ancient samurai statues! I GUESS!
OK, finally we're at the end, Spidey is ready for the ultimate showdown with Electro, and he thinks he knows where to find him. "I think I know where he is", that's what he says. And, uh, that's it. We don't know what the place is. Even after we see it, it's never explained, somewhere up high I guess? We don't know how Spidey knows. Because it's up high? And Spider-Man's clothes are tattered now? Ah gently caress it, I could swear there was more to this scene, I guess they cut something out because of the WTC thing?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, it's just cathartic knowing that I wasn't a stupid kid for constantly second-guessing the story, it's the story that's stupid. The story is stupid.

PS. Hey what's that about Jennifer Hale as Rogue? Are we going to see more of the X-Men in the extra stuff?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

WombatCyborg posted:

Yeah, I was surprised to see it was the same guy, the music has a different, sorta electronica-ish vibe in this one. Some of these tunes wouldn't be out of place in a Mass Effect game.

I only know Tommy Tallarico from him being referenced in the Chip and Ironicus Spider-Man 2000 LP as a terrible person with terrible opinions. I mean, he's terrible as a sound engineer at least, the game has audio issues all over the place.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We will see more of the X-Men very briefly in the extras

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The first extra

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hey look, it's Charles!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
And there's Jennifer Hale as Rogue!

She's... not really trying, is she? :effort:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

And there's Jennifer Hale as Rogue!

She's... not really trying, is she? :effort:

To be fair, I'm not sure you can squeeze too much emotion out of those lines

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last video for Enter Electro

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Thanks for running this. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd missed these games at the time, so it's great to see them taken apart and shown off.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The next one up will be the unofficial sequel to Enter Electro, Spider-Man: The Movie Game. Gonna take a brief break to work on a smaller project before hopping back to this thread for that.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Thanks for running this. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd missed these games at the time, so it's great to see them taken apart and shown off.

No problem, I love these games!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Goddamn these boss gallery pictures are great. I miss the days when games were filled to the brim with awesome (non-DLC) extras like these.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Ditto, it was nice to get the vicarious enjoyment of beating the game that gave me so much trouble upside its head. Looking forward to the next LP!

WAIT WHERE'S WHAT IF MODE

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 22, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Goddamn these boss gallery pictures are great. I miss the days when games were filled to the brim with awesome (non-DLC) extras like these.

Ditto, it was nice to get the vicarious enjoyment of beating the game that gave me so much trouble upside its head. Looking forward to the next LP!

WAIT WHERE'S WHAT IF MODE

Oh yeah, I entirely forgot about What-If? mode. Whoops! I'll get on that.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Wow this game is waaay shorter than I remember. Being a dumb kid who doesn't get the hints about bosses will do that I guess. I loved that there were a ton of alternate costumes as well, but I was always disappointed that they neglected to include my favourite Spider-Man: Man-Spider.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

Wow this game is waaay shorter than I remember. Being a dumb kid who doesn't get the hints about bosses will do that I guess. I loved that there were a ton of alternate costumes as well, but I was always disappointed that they neglected to include my favourite Spider-Man: Man-Spider.

All of the costumes are different skins, so adding extra limbs was probably out of the question

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Okay, now this is the final video

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What in God's name is going on with this woman's body?

Is there a spike of flesh coming out of her right side?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What in God's name is going on with this woman's body?

Is there a spike of flesh coming out of her right side?

I think that is supposed to be her hip bone

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Low polygon count is a grim disease indeed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

Low polygon count is a grim disease indeed.

The character models in 2000 actually look nicer, so I guess Vicarious just didn't have time/experience to make the in-game models as pretty.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play the Spider-Man Remaster

In 2000, one of the first character action games ever released -Spider-Man- found its way to the PS1 and Nintendo 64. Developed by Neversoft, it used the Tony Hawk engine to do something unexpected: set the foundation for nearly every Spider-Man game to follow. It established fidelity with Spider-Man's character, his world, his villains, and his powers for an all around excellent experience unlike anything that had come before.

It was a hard act to follow, but a year later, Vicarious Visions were up to the challenge. Enter Electro took a big leap ahead in trying to vastly improve the game design, variety, and presentation of its predecessor. But when it came time to choose the developer of the third Spider-Man title, neither Vicarious or Neversoft were on the table. Neversoft went back to their Tony Hawk train, and Vicarious returned to making portable versions of Neversoft's titles.

In this crazy game of Activison's developers constantly porting each other's work, there had to be someone experienced with Spider-Man who wasn't also busy with Tony Hawk. Enter Treyarch, now one of Activision's most prolific and famous developers, given the reigns of the Spider-Man franchise thanks (presumably) to their work on this oft-forgotten Dreamcast remaster of Neversoft's title.

We're going to first play this remaster, and look at it as a bridge between the fifth-generation Spider-Man games and their sixth-generation successors, then go on to playing the Spider-Man: Movie Game. What did Treyarch learn from their development of this title that carried them through the most successful period of Spidey's videogame career, and exactly how many minor details can you change when porting a game without changing the overall design? Let's find out!

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 9, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not having seen any of the Spider-Man games outside of this thread, when that intro cutscene started I was expecting this to be an origin story (for Doc Ock if not for Spider-Man) so it's a pleasant surprise to see that the villains appear to be well established.

On the other hand, is Spidey OK with just knocking people off skyscrapers? That doesn't seem right to me, even if they are bad guys.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tiggum posted:

On the other hand, is Spidey OK with just knocking people off skyscrapers? That doesn't seem right to me, even if they are bad guys.
He's not supposed to be (in the comics he always tries to save anyone who's falling to their death, even if it's a supervillain), but occasionally poo poo happens in the games. This is also pretty tame compared to what we'll see in Spider-Man 2.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In way later games in the series they start to be slightly more careful about showing Spidey knocking people to their death, but the next three games or so have massive potential for cruelty in some spots.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jameson why did you call me instead of the cops

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This entire chase sequence is technically part of the Scorpion act, but that's silly.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You can't keep a good symbiote down!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'll have you know that Mysterio is incredibly fashion-savvy!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
After playing this game back on the N64, it sure is weird seeing the cutscenes actually played out.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

After playing this game back on the N64, it sure is weird seeing the cutscenes actually played out.

Oh cool, someone who actually played the 64 version. The cutscenes in this version are actually even better quality than the ones in the PS1 title, but they're the same script-wise.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm in the same boat. I didn't even know that the game was supposed to have cutscenes until I found a playthrough of the PS1 version on the Archive. That said, I remember the game being fun, if frustrating at times, so it's nice to revisit it through this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Huh, you wouldn't think that these two version in particular have enough differences between them to warrant a full LP, but there's some interesting stuff in there, especially how each game and port builds upon the previous ones (and then Spider-Man 2 PC happens and everything turns to poo poo).

I think Venom's disappearing shtick is supposed to represent his camouflage abilities:

except it doesn't make sense intuitively, since you pass right through him when he is still disappearing, so you just assume he's teleporting or doing a Vision or something. It's kind of awkward as an adaptation of the source, but it makes for a neat boss fight, and Venom loving with Spidey is the best part of the story, so who cares.

• Locked thread