Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

The end of the story. There'll be a few extras before we jump into The Movie Game (finally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Pizdec posted:

except it doesn't make sense intuitively, since you pass right through him when he is still disappearing, so you just assume he's teleporting or doing a Vision or something. It's kind of awkward as an adaptation of the source, but it makes for a neat boss fight, and Venom loving with Spidey is the best part of the story, so who cares.

When I saw that in the PS1 LP, I actually interpreted that as "Parker relies so much on his Spider-Sense that Venom keeps getting the drop on him by not setting it off".

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I actually played the PSone version of this game back in the day. I forgot how short it is.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

GamesAreSupernice posted:

There'll be a few extras before we jump into The Movie Game (finally)

I'm pretty excited for you to cover The Movie Game. I played it a lot when I was younger, and it has a special place in my heart. It's one of the most underappreciated games in the series, in my opinion, and it also has the best extras in any Spider-Man game ever.

Playing as the Green Goblin and firebombing people to death while dozens of razorbats fly around you was the coolest thing ever. The fact that the Green Goblin had his own unique story and voice acting was just icing on the cake.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My favorite was the "controversy" with a cheat code that game caused.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I actually played the PSone version of this game back in the day. I forgot how short it is.

To be fair, it was relatively impressive at the time for other reasons. The length got a free pass back then. The movie game is surprisingly not too much longer

Kelsing posted:

I'm pretty excited for you to cover The Movie Game. I played it a lot when I was younger, and it has a special place in my heart. It's one of the most underappreciated games in the series, in my opinion, and it also has the best extras in any Spider-Man game ever.

Playing as the Green Goblin and firebombing people to death while dozens of razorbats fly around you was the coolest thing ever. The fact that the Green Goblin had his own unique story and voice acting was just icing on the cake.

I'm always surprised to find people who enjoyed it. I really like it too, but it seems pretty unpopular for its difficulty, even though it sold really well.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My favorite was the "controversy" with a cheat code that game caused.

It's a little surreal to think that in 2002 people could still cause controversy over even the idea of lesbians existing in a videogame that children might see.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Only one more video after this, and then the first generation of Spidey games will be all packed away

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I'm always surprised to find people who enjoyed it. I really like it too, but it seems pretty unpopular for its difficulty, even though it sold really well.

I thought it played well enough but it was too hard for me to get through. I got stuck at the first location. I did get to the final boss of the Spiderman 2 movie game, but I found it really mean and never actually beat it despite loving everything up to that point. I also tried to get back into Ultimate Spiderman a bit ago, but the only way to really reliably move quickly seemed to be the awkwardly controlling web zip that made scaling buildings quickly seem impossible. Also the jumping was really hard to control for me.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I loved the Movie Game... despite the fact that I could not get past mission 5 (I think) without cheat codes :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Movie Game admittedly doesn't seem very friendly to the average consumer, but it's fun to figure out exactly how one is supposed to conquer these seemingly insurmountable challenges (or break the game in the process)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I actually own the Movie Game. I haven't played it in aaaaages.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The last video for Enter Electro

Fun fact: Stan mentions Spidey is modelling 'Venom 2's costume - AKA 'Mayday' Parker, Peter's Daughter and in another reality Spider-Girl. Also left off the Kick Me sign on the Bombastic Bag Man, consarnit! :arghfist::spidey:

Kelsing posted:

Apparently the guy who voiced Harry in that game? Josh Keaton, better known as the voice of Peter Parker from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon (and later dubbing a bunch of those 60s Spider-Man memes. Apparently he was going to voice Peter, but then they actually got Tobey Macguire. Honestly, I think Keaton would have been a better Spidey.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently the guy who voiced Harry in that game? Josh Keaton, better known as the voice of Peter Parker from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon (and later dubbing a bunch of those 60s Spider-Man memes. Apparently he was going to voice Peter, but then they actually got Tobey Macguire. Honestly, I think Keaton would have been a better Spidey.

He most certainly would've done a better job than Tobey, yes.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The final final video of the first generation of Spidey titles. Up next will be, at last, the movie game.

For those of you wondering where What-If mode is, here you go: the original PS1 game's what-if mode and other extras. I really wasn't up to re-recording all those easter eggs, I've played this game a few times too many lately. As great as it is, I'm glad to be moving on now

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Just watched the final boss fights, holy poo poo that new Monster Ock model. :stare: Time to have those nightmares all over again I guess!

It bears mentioning that while the Spider-Man series of games jumped between developers alot, there was also considerable cross-pollination of talent between those developers. Some of the people who jumped in around Enter Electro ended up staying with the series well into USM/Spider-Man 3. Not the original Neversoft Spider-Man 2000 team, though - I assume they were too busy being forced by Activision to churn out lovely Tony Hawk sequels until the end of time. It's a shame, but other people carried the torch well enough.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As for the N64, the hardware was groundbreaking at the time, but it had some pretty substantial limitations. Its rendering power, texture mapping, and depth calculation (the proverbial "z-buffer") were technically superior to the Playstation, but the system's video output, VRAM capacity and memory bandwidth were kind of a joke. I think the best game I can cite as an example would be Mega Man Legends (although this game also works to an extent). The character models and geometry are all higher quality and look way better than their Playstation counterparts, but the texture quality and draw distance are actually considerably worse, and the N64's video signal is a blurry mess unless you have the console modified. Overall, it's a mixed bag. N64 games can look better than Playstation games, but there are a lot of caveats.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

As for the N64, the hardware was groundbreaking at the time, but it had some pretty substantial limitations. Its rendering power, texture mapping, and depth calculation (the proverbial "z-buffer") were technically superior to the Playstation, but the system's video output, VRAM capacity and memory bandwidth were kind of a joke. I think the best game I can cite as an example would be Mega Man Legends (although this game also works to an extent). The character models and geometry are all higher quality and look way better than their Playstation counterparts, but the texture quality and draw distance are actually considerably worse, and the N64's video signal is a blurry mess unless you have the console modified. Overall, it's a mixed bag. N64 games can look better than Playstation games, but there are a lot of caveats.
To be honest I didn't see much of a difference until the billboard came into view... But as a flipside, the guard obliviously watching a chair being hurled at him on the security cam was hilarious. The addition of the shadows also kinda makes the guards look more like dumbasses.

And I never could make out half of the dialogue in the intro cutscene (because the audio mix is kind of bad), so seeing it in caption form solved some childhood mysteries for me too!

edit -

He most certainly would've done a better job than Tobey, yes.
:yeah:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 10, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pizdec posted:

The addition of the shadows also kinda makes the guards look more like dumbasses.

The shadows are really weird. What light source is supposedly casting a life-sized shadow on the floor when Spidey's crawling across the ceiling?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

The shadows are really weird. What light source is supposedly casting a life-sized shadow on the floor when Spidey's crawling across the ceiling?

Edge of Reality's strong desire to prove themselves the master of Spider-Man technology

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man: The Movie Game

Spider-Man: The Movie (Game) was Treyarch's first lead-developed Spider-Man title. It took the mechanics established in Spidey 2000 and Enter Electro, making them the framework for much more ambitious design. An enhanced combo system driven by uh... collectibles, new-and-improved mobility, and even mid-air combat!

But the more things change, the more they stay the same: The bosses still appear very difficult, as with Enter Electro, but are total pushovers when you figure out their gimmicks, like in Spider-Man 2000. The control scheme -in spite of the refinements to the actual mechanics- is virtually identical to what we're used to, and comes with the staple awkward analogue control.

All that being said, it's still one of the hardest 3d Spider-Man games, so much that it drove a lot of kids who earnestly bought the game to outright quit. Personally, that intrigued me more than it pushed me away, and I appreciate the gall and ambition that comes with making something you probably know isn't going to appeal to your E-rated audience.

Let's see what all the fuss was about. And yes, there will be an extra video showing all of Bruce Campbell's voice clips.

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 26, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That weirdo with the purple mask is very clearly not Bonesaw. :colbert:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

That weirdo with the purple mask is very clearly not Bonesaw. :colbert:

It was luchador night

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's also missing the best characters - the Bonesaw groupies that between them had a cardboard saw and a cardboard bone :3:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

It's also missing the best characters - the Bonesaw groupies that between them had a cardboard saw and a cardboard bone :3:

Bonesaw really should've branched out more. Could sell milk brands, get a Pastamania thing going, only his product is related to his gimmick

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
I'm glad you're showing off all of the different combos and secrets, because as an impatient kid that played this game, I could not be arsed to find every single secret and combo. I wasn't even aware that the second secret in the first level was a thing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kelsing posted:

I'm glad you're showing off all of the different combos and secrets, because as an impatient kid that played this game, I could not be arsed to find every single secret and combo. I wasn't even aware that the second secret in the first level was a thing.

Which one? The purse lady or the combo?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I must have played this game a lot. All the voice lines are coming back to me as we go along. Weirdly feeling. But not a bad game back in the day

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Which one? The purse lady or the combo?

The combo. You'd think that I would've discovered it, given how many times I've played this game, but I never did.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, Spidey learned the meaning of responsibility pretty drat fast, didn’t he? From letting an armed robber escape to leaving no purse unfound in just a few hours!

Anyway, I’m surprised this game has a reputation for being difficult. While it has its share of late-90s/early-00s gaming bullshit (like no checkpoints before some bosses or having to find new combos between crates instead of just having a bloody skill tree), I didn’t have that much trouble with it, aside from one boss. After switching the difficulty back to Normal at least. Maybe it’s a function of having recently played the game for the first time, not as a dumb kid who’s Bad At Video Games.

And that said, I was expecting to see something like Spider-Man 2 Lite, not something very much in tune with 2000/Enter Electro. It was a cool, weirdly nostalgic experience for me, like playing the lost 3rd PSX title after all these years.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

For the majority of people who bought the game at the time of its release -eager young children and their parents- it got quite a reputation. And that reputation is hard to remove when it was overshadowed two years later by Spider-Man 2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

For the majority of people who bought the game at the time of its release -eager young children and their parents- it got quite a reputation. And that reputation is hard to remove when it was overshadowed two years later by Spider-Man 2.

...let alone by the PC version of Spider-Man 2...

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

Alexeythegreat posted:

...let alone by the PC version of Spider-Man 2...

I always forget that there was a PC version of Spider-Man 2. Then I look it up and I realize why I forgot about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

An introduction to aerial combat, then some of the easiest levels the game offers

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
I always thought that the voice actor for Uncle Ben's voice-over was really out of place. He sounds more like the announcer for one of the Soulcalibur games than Pete's elderly uncle.

I really liked these early levels, because they weren't making me pull my hair out every ten minutes. Also, The Shocker is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains, if only for what a complete joke he's often portrayed as.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kelsing posted:

I always thought that the voice actor for Uncle Ben's voice-over was really out of place. He sounds more like the announcer for one of the Soulcalibur games than Pete's elderly uncle.

I really liked these early levels, because they weren't making me pull my hair out every ten minutes. Also, The Shocker is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains, if only for what a complete joke he's often portrayed as.

On the other hand, Toby's not phoning in his lines in this game, unlike SM2 PC. He's still not a great voice actor, but at least he's kinda trying here.

As for Shocker, I think he's also one of the only Spidey villains who doesn't take things personally. He is a criminal; Spider-Man fights criminals. Shocker seems to be perfectly understanding of this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kelsing posted:

Also, The Shocker is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains, if only for what a complete joke he's often portrayed as.

except for Spectacular Spider-Man, there weren't many loser villains in that rendition. le sigh, if only we could've gotten that 3rd season :smith:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I loved that every villain was so full of character and clout in Spectacular Spider-Man. My only gripe with that series was that Spidey kept trying to punch Sandman whenever he appeared.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
As a kid I watched Spider-Man TAS get replaced by Spider-Man Unlimited, as an adult I watched Spectacular get replaced by Ultimate. If this happens again I swear I'm laying off Spider-Man related media, my heart can't take much more of this poo poo.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pizdec posted:

As a kid I watched Spider-Man TAS get replaced by Spider-Man Unlimited, as an adult I watched Spectacular get replaced by Ultimate. If this happens again I swear I'm laying off Spider-Man related media, my heart can't take much more of this poo poo.

The same thing happened with me and Transformers every couple of years. drat you, Hasbro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Spider-Man can only last for a few years before everyone forgets about what happened to Uncle Ben. Humanity needs a reminder of what he fights for.

• Locked thread