Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I think it's ultimately good that new versions of Spider-Man appear every so often. It's unfortunately true that Unlimited and Spectacular ended before they should, but I think each iteration brings new ideas and new creative talent that keep Spidey's story from getting stale. For example, as much flak as Ultimate gets, their team does an excellent job interpreting Spidey's character and isn't afraid of some of the crazier stuff in the comic lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

If only he had kick-proofed his wings

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I think it's ultimately good that new versions of Spider-Man appear every so often. It's unfortunately true that Unlimited and Spectacular ended before they should, but I think each iteration brings new ideas and new creative talent that keep Spidey's story from getting stale. For example, as much flak as Ultimate gets, their team does an excellent job interpreting Spidey's character and isn't afraid of some of the crazier stuff in the comic lore.

Unlimited ended on such a cliffhanger as well. As far as we know, the Synaptic launched thousands of symbiotes into the sky in Counter New York and everyone got infected and/or killed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

And that's why you don't end your Season on a "Part 1".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's a common issue with Spider-Man, but far more apparent than usual in this game: What the gently caress is he swinging from?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

It's a common issue with Spider-Man, but far more apparent than usual in this game: What the gently caress is he swinging from?

Satellites.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress is he swinging from?

All of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, hey, a Spider-Man thread. I remember having a fun time with a bunch of these gam-

FUUUUUUUUCK THIS BOSS :argh:

Pizdec posted:

OK, finally we're at the end, Spidey is ready for the ultimate showdown with Electro, and he thinks he knows where to find him. "I think I know where he is", that's what he says. And, uh, that's it. We don't know what the place is. Even after we see it, it's never explained, somewhere up high I guess? We don't know how Spidey knows. Because it's up high? And Spider-Man's clothes are tattered now? Ah gently caress it, I could swear there was more to this scene, I guess they cut something out because of the WTC thing?

Yes. The original script had Electro yelling "Top of the world, man!" and Spider-Man figuring out where to go based on that.

I believe I heard that the ending was also supposed to be longer.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 14, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thor was actually supposed to appear in the original ending. And a lot of people seem to hate the bosses in Enter Electro.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I don't mind new iterations of stuff, I enjoyed pretty much all of Batman series since the original Animated Series. It's when they give you a gem and replace it with crap that I take issue. :sigh:

Anyway, the tower level was one of the most difficult for me. Mostly because I kept getting lost, and Vulture kept throwing crap at me as I fumbled around.

Thor was actually supposed to appear in the original ending. And a lot of people seem to hate the bosses in Enter Electro.
This reminded me of one nifty detail about Spider-man 2000 - in the last cutscene it was Captain America who was supposed to pull Spidey out of the exploding reactor, but they replaced him with Venom. It's a tiny but awesome change, because it's like Spidey and Venom are best buddies now, and they're going to surf the web and do a marathon on the Times Square Jumbotron and be BFFs for ever and ever. :3:

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Thor was actually supposed to appear in the original ending.

I suppose that's why the Bugle shown in the ending is talking about Thor?

As for update stuff, it never occurred to me that the Web Dome actually does make you completely invincible, even if it makes no dang sense.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

As for update stuff, it never occurred to me that the Web Dome actually does make you completely invincible, even if it makes no dang sense.

You'd have to play the PS1 games to realize that's an effective strategy, since nothing beats web dome in the game of Spider-Paper-Scissors... yet

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

AmewTheFox posted:

I never even thought to use Web Dome against half of the stuff you can use it for. I mean, how could a Web Dome protect against Shocker's giant gently caress-off vibration beam in the subway?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Kelsing posted:

I never even thought to use Web Dome against half of the stuff you can use it for. I mean, how could a Web Dome protect against Shocker's giant gently caress-off vibration beam in the subway?
That was a :aaa: moment for me too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

My favorite boss in the game

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Honestly, I'm not sure that Scorpion can even be considered a villain here.

Like the comic version open tried to kill someone even if it was Jameson, a known rear end in a top hat. This version just wanted to escape whoever, for seemingly no reason whatsoever, put him in his suit and mistakenly assumed that Spider-Man was with them meaning he's acting purely out of self-defense.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
That new combo was the way I think I easily defeated the future boss you are talking about.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure that Scorpion can even be considered a villain here.

Like the comic version open tried to kill someone even if it was Jameson, a known rear end in a top hat. This version just wanted to escape whoever, for seemingly no reason whatsoever, put him in his suit and mistakenly assumed that Spider-Man was with them meaning he's acting purely out of self-defense.

I do remember feeling really bad for Scorpion, and I do like that they gave him a unique character for the game

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

I do remember feeling really bad for Scorpion, and I do like that they gave him a unique character for the game

I really like it when villains are portrayed not as bad people, but insane and/or out of control people. It makes them much more interesting and tragic as opposed to "I'm evil just because," or, "I want money".

This version of Scorpion in especially tragic, what with him screaming about how spiders are crawling all over him and how he hates the suit that he's stuck in. :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It was a shame that I couldn't play the Spiderman 3 Xbox360 movie game because that had a bunch of sidequests with villains being given more to do, the game just made me motion sick when swinging though. :(

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm late, but

Tiggum posted:

The skybox, helloooooo

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think we're closing in on the point where I gave up on playing the game without cheats

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

I think we're closing in on the point where I gave up on playing the game without cheats

The infamous stealth levels?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The infamous stealth levels?

No, actually, a bit after them. Or right before them, I can't remember.
Where there's a perpetual onslaught of different robots

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
I have to say, Willem Dafoe really kills it as a voice actor. Then again, he's just a fantastic actor period, so I'm not too surprised.

I forgot how badly Goblin gets destroyed by spammed Cannonball Kicks. It's kind of embarrasing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Willem Dafoe in this game is also a rare example of a famous actor's likeness in a licensed game being less terrifying than the actual person.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Kelsing posted:

I have to say, Willem Dafoe really kills it as a voice actor. Then again, he's just a fantastic actor period, so I'm not too surprised.
Hell yeah he does, and hell yeah he is.

These are the levels where I relented and switched the difficulty to normal. The Goblin fight in particular is kind of bullshitty, because you have to get through the slog of the aerial part before you get to the ground level battle, at which point Willem Dafoe promptly kicks your rear end before you have a chance to develop a strategy. It didn't help that I tended to use up all my webbing in the aerial part because I shot him with normal webbing instead of the impact variety BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE loving TUTORIAL loving TOLD ME TO DO :rant:. Eventually I figured out how to cheese him with the crowd control combos, but it was rough.

Also, I don't remember the banter audio overlapping like that. What is it with Spider-Man games and audio issues?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

what a tanggneglnenlgegeld web

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Movie Scorpion does make a return though I won't say in which game since that might be considered a spoiler.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Maybe you should spring for lasers that work 100% of the time

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I actually enjoyed the stealth levels, but now I'm retroactively mad about them because it turns out you don't actually have to be in the dark areas to avoid being spotted. What other lies do you have in store for me, game?! :argh:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

I actually enjoyed the stealth levels, but now I'm retroactively mad about them because it turns out you don't actually have to be in the dark areas to avoid being spotted. What other lies do you have in store for me, game?! :argh:

I thought the shadows were necessary for a while too

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This one has a giant robot in it

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

This
This is where I gave up and started using cheats as a kid
The robots kept wrecking me

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

This
This is where I gave up and started using cheats as a kid
The robots kept wrecking me

I'm proud of you for getting there as a kid

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?

That giant laser was no joke. You could go from full health to dead in 10 seconds if you got unlucky enough, if I remember correctly.

God, this game was difficult.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Goober Goblin showdown

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I hope you do a couple of bonus videos about the Harry Osborne misssions . I remember those being kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

I hope you do a couple of bonus videos about the Harry Osborne misssions . I remember those being kinda cool.

That video is next

• Locked thread