Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw yeah, Spider-Man! I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The last video for Enter Electro

Fun fact: Stan mentions Spidey is modelling 'Venom 2's costume - AKA 'Mayday' Parker, Peter's Daughter and in another reality Spider-Girl. Also left off the Kick Me sign on the Bombastic Bag Man, consarnit! :arghfist::spidey:

Kelsing posted:

I'm pretty excited for you to cover The Movie Game. I played it a lot when I was younger, and it has a special place in my heart. It's one of the most underappreciated games in the series, in my opinion, and it also has the best extras in any Spider-Man game ever.

Playing as the Green Goblin and firebombing people to death while dozens of razorbats fly around you was the coolest thing ever. The fact that the Green Goblin had his own unique story and voice acting was just icing on the cake.

Apparently the guy who voiced Harry in that game? Josh Keaton, better known as the voice of Peter Parker from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon (and later dubbing a bunch of those 60s Spider-Man memes. Apparently he was going to voice Peter, but then they actually got Tobey Macguire. Honestly, I think Keaton would have been a better Spidey.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

VolticSurge posted:

I'll admit, that really makes me wish they got Keaton for Spidey instead of Toby.

Considering it seems like they literally recycled some of the exact same lines from the Spider-Man playthrough, I wonder if this mode exists because they already recorded dialogue with Keaton before Tobey was confirmed, and then realised that they could reuse it to make Goblin Mode.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, that's some awful JJJ. I mean, yeah, maybe they couldn't get JK Simmons, but surely they could have done better than this?

And yeah, Movie Game Peter is really not that great at protecting his superhero identity.

It says something when Newspaper Spider-Man, he of the bricks to the head, is better at protecting his secret ID:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I love the running commentary Peter has for this tutorial bit (post-Venom). My personal favourite is 'Press X in midair to double-jump. Sure, it breaks the laws of physics, but so do most things I do.'

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone loves The Ultimates and nobody ever had anything but praise for those comics.

Well, people were full of praise for the first two volumes when they first came out, but honestly in hindsight they were all style and no substance and pointlessly 'gritty'. And most everything after that was a tire fire.

I mean, people talk about how it inspired the MCU, but aside from Samuel L. Jackson as Fury and some of the costumes, it was all very clearly in the classic Marvel mode.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much the only universally-agreed 'good' Ultimate comic.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomNinja posted:

I mean, by most reasonable people sure. But there are some people out there that really hate Brian Micheal Bendis.

Like, really hate his writing. I like it, but maybe that's because Ultimate Spider-Man was my first real exposure to comics?

I think even most people who hate Bendis agree that USM is good.

He has certain strengths and weaknesses. When he plays to his strengths (USM, Daredevil, Alias), he's amazing. However, some people (myself included) feel that he can sometimes struggle to distinguish his characters' voices and might play a bit looser with characterization than readers might like (e.g. Hawkeye suddenly being willing to kill people). And well, the less said about Civil War II, the better. He rather fumbled the ball when it came to Ultimate End.

But yeah, Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the best versions of the character ever written.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pizdec posted:

I can't join in singing the praises of this game, I played it for the first time recently and was rather disappointed. It's basically a series of awesome boss battles with an in-between filler of side missions that grow real tedious real quick because of the simplified combat system.

I'd have probably had more fun if I just blazed through the story, but I tried to play it like Spider-man 2/3 (where I had tons of fun just dicking around in the open world). It's pretty barebones content-wise too.

The graphics and the fourth-wall-breaking artstyle are still gorgeous and clever though. And it's going to be nice being able to get the whole story at least (because the Xbox emulator on the 360 skips some of the cutscenes for some reason).

edit - Also the Ultimate universe is cool and good at its best (so basically the beginning), and hit-and-miss at its worst. Everything by Jeph Loeb is cancer (this statement is also true outside of the Ultimate universe). I'll certainly miss it, I had a soft spot for the assorted Marvel imprints in general - MC2, Adventures, MAX, they all had their moments.
I think I actually got into comics via MC2 and Ultimates, what up imprint buddy. :spidey::respek::spidey:

heyzeus posted:

Yeah, it's embarrassing but I was stuck and gave up at the Electro chase for years. Decided to play again around 2013 or so and finally beat it, but I think having this chase so early (particularly without checkpoints) was a really bad design choice.

Unlike the art direction/style, which is still one of my favorites (alongside Crackdown which I just realized is so similar, thanks to the comic book cel-style). As a kid I disliked the movie games' art direction for some reason, and watching them, the realistic bent they both had haven't really aged well (unlike this and even the PS1 games). Too grimy?

(Been watching since the beginning but I just wanna say thanks for the LP so far)
Yeah, I got through that chase by the skin of my teeth back when I had this game.

I did genuinely enjoy it, even though I sucked so badly at it. Definitely agree the Cel-Shaded graphics have aged phenomenally.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GoneRampant posted:

I've not read his current Jessica Jones series, but pretty much this. Bendis is one of the best writers Daredevil ever had and USM was consistently good when it wasn't fantastic, but...

Well, again, pretty much this. He's best when focused on street level heroes, but when he does Big Events or stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, he visibly founders around. He's also one of the many writers who grew up with a crush on Kitty Pryde and had her join the Guardians for a spell (I think she even became Star Lord for a time), and she dated Peter for a while in the USM line as well.

And seriously, Civil War 2 was a loving tire fire. I don't know if SA has a comics thread, but I spent a fair while last year reading scans of it on Spacebattles and wondering what the hell.
He didn't just have Kitty become Star-Lord, he had her marry the previous one (also named Peter). Then there was the whole 'retconned Kitty's previous love interest into being gay' kerfuffle.

And we don't just have a comics thread, we have a whole drat comics subforum!

Aces High posted:

why did they do another Civil War when most comics people agree that the first Civil War was terrible? Then again, we also got Ultimatum and then Ultimate End or whatever and...have Marvel big events every been good? Or is it just that in the 21st century the writers don't know what they're doing?

Well, maybe not since we also got Spider-Verse
Well allegedly, Bendis pitched the idea originally before they came up with the title and they only later realised 'hey, it's heroes vs. heroes again! Let's call it Civil War II!' and it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact Marvel Studios just released Captain America: Civil War around the same time.

Most people seem to agree that Secret Wars was quite good (although the tie-ins varied in quality, the 'main' story was largely agreed to be excellent. Although the lead-in was A Matter Of Some Debate).

Also, did you just imply Spider-Verse was good? Because if so, you and I are enemies now. :arghfist::spidey:

But we're getting somewhat off-topic.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomNinja posted:

Listen, Spider-Verse may not have been hot poo poo, but it wasn't terrible. It was a neat tie-in to the whole Multiverse thing, plus seeing various versions of Spidey was cool and good. It was a love letter to spidey, with some weird dumb poo poo tacked on.

Alright, let's talk about Spider-Verse

Yeah, it was so great to see all those alternate versions of Spidey...getting killed off by crappy derivative villains. My personal favourite was when Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends, you know the ones from the children's cartoon, got murdered and the dog was left to cry over their corpses. That was a real love letter, all right!

Sure was nice how the 'main' Spider-Man knew the weakness of the villains from the outset, but never mentioned it to anyone and it took Slott's latest pet character to stumble onto it rear end-backwards (plus a tie-in in Spider-Man 2099 to find out the exact same thing). It's quite clear that Slott really didn't rewrite it that much from when it was supposed to be Superior Spider-Man as the lead (which in that case would have made sense why he wouldn't know). And the big climatic event, with 'every Spider-Man ever' vs. the Inheritors, was largely kept offscreen while team Main Character were left to fight the main two big dudes.

There were good parts of Spider-Verse, but virtually all of them were, unsurprisingly, not written by Dan Slott. They're good in spite of the main story, not because of it. Mainly because they focus on what the story should have been about (the various Spider-Men interacting) and not the dumb mythology/pet characters Slott developed.

Silver Doofus is more like it.

Yeah, you have to wonder how the hell Sable got away with bringing her goddamn private army on the streets of NYC without the authorities descending on her like a ton of bricks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the Goblin Chase/Fight was where I threw in the towel on my playthrough.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What was difficult about him for you? I don't mean to be condescending, to be clear, just curious.

I think it was just I kind of sucked at the game. I kind of suck at doing combos on a gamepad in general. I think I got to the fight in the UN building and couldn't dodge well enough. He seemed to set most of the place on fire in my playthrough.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aces High posted:

True I think I remembered Spider-Verse differently, but then again I read it for the various off-shoots, so the issue that was just Noir-Spidey or just 2099 Spidey, etc.

Also if it wasn't for Spider-Verse we wouldn't have gotten Spider-Gwen and I guess that's all I have to say that's positive (truth be told I never actually read a lot of the huge crossover comics, even the Beyonder arc I just read the Spidey comics because Spidey is all I care about in the Marvel universe at this point)

That's the correct way to read Spider-Verse, IMO.

And I swear to god, Slott's original idea for Spider-Gwen was literally her in a Red-and-Blue webbed version of her ASM #122 costume. Thank god they went in a different direction. Although Web Warriors I think was a bridge too far (and kind of mishandled to boot).

I've for the most part been watching the Spider-Man comics from the sidelines with mounting horror (I only got into comics when OMD went down, so I kind of never got into 616 Spidey). Let's just say I do not agree with most of Dan Slott's creative decisions on the book. Which sucks, because I loved his Spider-Man & Human Torch miniseries. Still, Renew Your Vows exists now (written by Gerry Conway himself - it owns, go out and read it everyone) and Chip Zdarsky's going to be writing Spectacular Spider-Man soon, so now's a pretty good time for Spider-Man if you were put off by some of the more recent creative decisions like me.

Peter has some goddamn endurance.

One extra video after this, then we're done here.
Edit: Okay, got a chance to watch through the whole video. Seemed to end pretty strong. I have a feeling Nick Fury is going to be having some strong words with Silver Sable after all this - in the comics, he took a personal interest in Peter's welfare, on top of all of the other stuff. In the Ultimate comics, Sable was dispatched by the head of Roxxon to capture Peter to find out what he knew about a series of attacks on corporate property (nothing, he just happened to be in the area and stopped to help). They wound up grabbing him without finding his identity. When they ran his prints to ID him, it got flagged by SHIELD and Sable freaked the gently caress out when she realised that SHIELD was protecting him and her and her mercs just pretty much bailed. They established that her origin was that as a teen she was called to the deathbed of her estranged father so he could apologise for not being there on account of his day job being Nazi Hunter. She then decided to follow in his footsteps, and mainly did merc work on the side to fund her Nazi-hunting. There wasn't anything near as bad as some of the stuff she got up to here. I don't think she ever showed up again in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, I think it was an interesting twist that Eddie Senior apparently caused the plane crash as Venom. It's certainly better than what they later with in the comics - that the Parkers were killed by The Hulk, of all people.

I think I solved the mystery of the fire on the helipad - it's started in the cutscene, when Trask tries to shoot Eddie and blows up those fuel tanks by mistake.

All in all, I think this game's pretty great. And I'm kinda bummed I gave up so close to the end.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 12, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I particularly enjoyed the story, upon revisiting. It managed an impressive level of fidelity with the comics. I decided to look up anything else Bendis might've written in the world of videogames, and his only other credit appears to be the Story Mode for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes. Ouch.

Well, I suppose that the game being written by the guy writing the comics might have helped on that front. :cheeky: Apparently at one point this was supposed to be canon with the comics. They kinda-sorta adapted it later (which involved this whole Carnage clone of Gwen Stacy - who Carnage had killed in this universe - that Eddie ate like Peter in the game, and basically spat out an ordinary Gwen that everyone basically shrugged and treated as the real one from that point onwards).

Actually, now i think about, this came out in 2005, right? So Bendis would have only taken over the Avengers (and by extension, largely setting much of the tone for most of the Marvel Universe) a year before (less, maybe, if you factor in development time). That was just about the point most people would agree cracks started showing. I think it's because while Ultimate was his baby (and most of his other solo books had relatively small casts or focused on minor characters) this was when he started writing big names (and occasionally stuffing characters into OOC behaviour to move the plots along).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 12, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember that for some reason you couldn't actually change costume until after finishing the game. I seem to recall tracking down enough tokens & stuff to unlock at least some of them, and nothing doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tiggum posted:

Spidey getting punched by a giant fist out of nowhere is delightful. :allears:

I didn't realise this was Newspaper Spider-Man: the game.

• Locked thread