Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Yay, my Spidey fix is here! :dance: Are you going to do any comparisons between the games and their ports like you did with Iron Man? 'Cause that was cool.

I played Spider-Man 2000 over and over as a kid, so I pretty much got every level memorized even all those years later. This one, I played one or two times so I only remembered glimpses, like it featuring The Awesomest Most Bestest Spider-Man Villain (Except For Venom) The The Shocker, being able to go on the ground level, the terryfing Lizard battle, being weirdly proud of having a bootleg copy of the original print (with the Towers intact), and the bizarre audio issues which I chalked up to the emulator, but which it turns out are part of the package.

It a weird nostalgic trip for me, and to be honest, the game still seems awkward and unpolished. Or maybe I'm just being salty from not being able to beat it as a kid without savescumming like crazy - it introduced new challenges that have very specific solutions, which I wasn't able to figure out. I found the predecessor much more intuitive at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Oh wow, now that we're finished with the main part of the game, the story here is just all over the place. As a kid, I remember constantly scratching my head at some parts, but just chalked it up to being a kid and not knowing English that well. But no, the story is just a mess, even by 90's PSX game standards.

I mean, going back to the first scene with Hammerhead, Electro introduces him as someone who'll take care of Spider-Man, Hammerhead goes in, does a really bizarre reference to The Untouchables (unlike 15 years ago, I actually know the reference now, and it's still incomprehensible), and concludes that he can't do anything unless the others take care of Spider-Man. So, wait, who's on Spidey duty again?
Okay, it's a video game, you just assume you'll end up fighting all the villains anyway... except you don't. The Beetle is there. The Beetle has been set up before Hammerhead. You don't fight the Beetle anywhere in the game. Why introduce a new villain as an excuse for a boss fight when you already have a boss fight set up? And why with an overreaching Untouchables allusion? Arggghh
Anyway, we move on to the Lizard and what's this? It turns out the company he's working for is into all sorts of "diabolical experiments"! Why is a good guy like Connors working for them? Did they kidnap him? Blackmail him? Did they force his transformation somehow? Who cares it's never referenced again.
Then Electro gets wind of the diamond or sapphire or whatever because he deduces that no one would build a device that runs on something that doesn't exist. Instead, it turns out, only one such item exist. And since it's been established that under normal, non-Electro circumstances a single device can power a city block, congratulations Doctor, you just spent your entire life building the equivalent of a singular big generator. Why this is much more rational, good job drawing attention to it developers!
Oh no, Electro is bringing the samurai to life! With his electricity! By interfacing with the electronic components of ancient samurai statues! I GUESS!
OK, finally we're at the end, Spidey is ready for the ultimate showdown with Electro, and he thinks he knows where to find him. "I think I know where he is", that's what he says. And, uh, that's it. We don't know what the place is. Even after we see it, it's never explained, somewhere up high I guess? We don't know how Spidey knows. Because it's up high? And Spider-Man's clothes are tattered now? Ah gently caress it, I could swear there was more to this scene, I guess they cut something out because of the WTC thing?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, it's just cathartic knowing that I wasn't a stupid kid for constantly second-guessing the story, it's the story that's stupid. The story is stupid.

PS. Hey what's that about Jennifer Hale as Rogue? Are we going to see more of the X-Men in the extra stuff?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

WombatCyborg posted:

Huh, this game is a lot shorter than I thought. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by the quality of the soundtrack, something about it rubs me the right way.
Yeah, I was surprised to see it was the same guy, the music has a different, sorta electronica-ish vibe in this one. Some of these tunes wouldn't be out of place in a Mass Effect game.

I only know Tommy Tallarico from him being referenced in the Chip and Ironicus Spider-Man 2000 LP as a terrible person with terrible opinions. I mean, he's terrible as a sound engineer at least, the game has audio issues all over the place.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
And there's Jennifer Hale as Rogue!

She's... not really trying, is she? :effort:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Goddamn these boss gallery pictures are great. I miss the days when games were filled to the brim with awesome (non-DLC) extras like these.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Thanks for running this. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd missed these games at the time, so it's great to see them taken apart and shown off.
Ditto, it was nice to get the vicarious enjoyment of beating the game that gave me so much trouble upside its head. Looking forward to the next LP!

WAIT WHERE'S WHAT IF MODE

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 22, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Huh, you wouldn't think that these two version in particular have enough differences between them to warrant a full LP, but there's some interesting stuff in there, especially how each game and port builds upon the previous ones (and then Spider-Man 2 PC happens and everything turns to poo poo).

I think Venom's disappearing shtick is supposed to represent his camouflage abilities:

except it doesn't make sense intuitively, since you pass right through him when he is still disappearing, so you just assume he's teleporting or doing a Vision or something. It's kind of awkward as an adaptation of the source, but it makes for a neat boss fight, and Venom loving with Spidey is the best part of the story, so who cares.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Just watched the final boss fights, holy poo poo that new Monster Ock model. :stare: Time to have those nightmares all over again I guess!

It bears mentioning that while the Spider-Man series of games jumped between developers alot, there was also considerable cross-pollination of talent between those developers. Some of the people who jumped in around Enter Electro ended up staying with the series well into USM/Spider-Man 3. Not the original Neversoft Spider-Man 2000 team, though - I assume they were too busy being forced by Activision to churn out lovely Tony Hawk sequels until the end of time. It's a shame, but other people carried the torch well enough.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

As for the N64, the hardware was groundbreaking at the time, but it had some pretty substantial limitations. Its rendering power, texture mapping, and depth calculation (the proverbial "z-buffer") were technically superior to the Playstation, but the system's video output, VRAM capacity and memory bandwidth were kind of a joke. I think the best game I can cite as an example would be Mega Man Legends (although this game also works to an extent). The character models and geometry are all higher quality and look way better than their Playstation counterparts, but the texture quality and draw distance are actually considerably worse, and the N64's video signal is a blurry mess unless you have the console modified. Overall, it's a mixed bag. N64 games can look better than Playstation games, but there are a lot of caveats.
To be honest I didn't see much of a difference until the billboard came into view... But as a flipside, the guard obliviously watching a chair being hurled at him on the security cam was hilarious. The addition of the shadows also kinda makes the guards look more like dumbasses.

And I never could make out half of the dialogue in the intro cutscene (because the audio mix is kind of bad), so seeing it in caption form solved some childhood mysteries for me too!

edit -

GamesAreSupernice posted:

He most certainly would've done a better job than Tobey, yes.
:yeah:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 10, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, Spidey learned the meaning of responsibility pretty drat fast, didn’t he? From letting an armed robber escape to leaving no purse unfound in just a few hours!

Anyway, I’m surprised this game has a reputation for being difficult. While it has its share of late-90s/early-00s gaming bullshit (like no checkpoints before some bosses or having to find new combos between crates instead of just having a bloody skill tree), I didn’t have that much trouble with it, aside from one boss. After switching the difficulty back to Normal at least. Maybe it’s a function of having recently played the game for the first time, not as a dumb kid who’s Bad At Video Games.

And that said, I was expecting to see something like Spider-Man 2 Lite, not something very much in tune with 2000/Enter Electro. It was a cool, weirdly nostalgic experience for me, like playing the lost 3rd PSX title after all these years.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
As a kid I watched Spider-Man TAS get replaced by Spider-Man Unlimited, as an adult I watched Spectacular get replaced by Ultimate. If this happens again I swear I'm laying off Spider-Man related media, my heart can't take much more of this poo poo.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I don't mind new iterations of stuff, I enjoyed pretty much all of Batman series since the original Animated Series. It's when they give you a gem and replace it with crap that I take issue. :sigh:

Anyway, the tower level was one of the most difficult for me. Mostly because I kept getting lost, and Vulture kept throwing crap at me as I fumbled around.

Thor was actually supposed to appear in the original ending. And a lot of people seem to hate the bosses in Enter Electro.
This reminded me of one nifty detail about Spider-man 2000 - in the last cutscene it was Captain America who was supposed to pull Spidey out of the exploding reactor, but they replaced him with Venom. It's a tiny but awesome change, because it's like Spidey and Venom are best buddies now, and they're going to surf the web and do a marathon on the Times Square Jumbotron and be BFFs for ever and ever. :3:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Kelsing posted:

I never even thought to use Web Dome against half of the stuff you can use it for. I mean, how could a Web Dome protect against Shocker's giant gently caress-off vibration beam in the subway?
That was a :aaa: moment for me too.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Kelsing posted:

I have to say, Willem Dafoe really kills it as a voice actor. Then again, he's just a fantastic actor period, so I'm not too surprised.
Hell yeah he does, and hell yeah he is.

These are the levels where I relented and switched the difficulty to normal. The Goblin fight in particular is kind of bullshitty, because you have to get through the slog of the aerial part before you get to the ground level battle, at which point Willem Dafoe promptly kicks your rear end before you have a chance to develop a strategy. It didn't help that I tended to use up all my webbing in the aerial part because I shot him with normal webbing instead of the impact variety BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE loving TUTORIAL loving TOLD ME TO DO :rant:. Eventually I figured out how to cheese him with the crowd control combos, but it was rough.

Also, I don't remember the banter audio overlapping like that. What is it with Spider-Man games and audio issues?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I actually enjoyed the stealth levels, but now I'm retroactively mad about them because it turns out you don't actually have to be in the dark areas to avoid being spotted. What other lies do you have in store for me, game?! :argh:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I FUCKEN LOOOOOOOOOOOVE PUMPKIN BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!

(I tried to play this, but it was way too repetitive. Love the art style, though.)

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, between Mysterio's portrayal in this and Spider-Man 2000, Spidey game developers must really hate the guy for some reason.

:laffo: at the sniper on the truck needing to take careful aim with each shot, when his barrel is pointed directly at Spidey's rear end from a few inches away.
:69snypa:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I can't join in singing the praises of this game, I played it for the first time recently and was rather disappointed. It's basically a series of awesome boss battles with an in-between filler of side missions that grow real tedious real quick because of the simplified combat system.

I'd have probably had more fun if I just blazed through the story, but I tried to play it like Spider-man 2/3 (where I had tons of fun just dicking around in the open world). It's pretty barebones content-wise too.

The graphics and the fourth-wall-breaking artstyle are still gorgeous and clever though. And it's going to be nice being able to get the whole story at least (because the Xbox emulator on the 360 skips some of the cutscenes for some reason).

edit - Also the Ultimate universe is cool and good at its best (so basically the beginning), and hit-and-miss at its worst. Everything by Jeph Loeb is cancer (this statement is also true outside of the Ultimate universe). I'll certainly miss it, I had a soft spot for the assorted Marvel imprints in general - MC2, Adventures, MAX, they all had their moments.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think I actually got into comics via MC2 and Ultimates, what up imprint buddy. :spidey::respek::spidey:

:respek:
However, I more-or-less stopped reading comics circa 2012 and have no idea what y'all are talking about now, so instead here's a couple of observations on the new video:

- The Beetle chase/fight is pretty hard, but in a good way - it relies on you honing your individual skills (vertical maneuvering, dodging while approaching a specific point) so that you better react to what's happening, rather than just memorizing the whole path like the Electro chase. That really was an awful bit of game design.

- Yay, Jennifer Hale's here! Jennifer's here! :neckbeard:

- Was time supposed to freeze for everyone except Venom in that cutscene after the Sable fight? :raise:

- I'm glad they brought in the original creators, Bagley's artstyle survived the transition to 3D quite well, and you can really identify the iconic Bendis voice in the story (in a good way). I'm talking about the general legacy-of-our-fathers themes, but also the little touches that make this version of the franchise unique, like Spidey being a complete spaz and everyone figuring out his secret identity in an average of 5 minutes. It all contributes to the authenticity and the general veneer of "just another storyline of the comic book except in video game form!" they were going for.

- I guess the cool "silent/ultraprofessional assassin" reimagining of Beetle is to make up for teasing him in a cutscene in Enter Electro and then completely forgetting about him?

- Why did you start cursing like a sailor for your recent couple of LPs? I mean, it's not like this forum is for good, clean Catholic LPs for the whole family, I'm just curious. Are you going for some Youtube AVGN-type cred or something?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

This is the worst game of hot potato.
MJ's ghost quilt on the bed there is freaking me out. I'm constantly wondering whether something is a glitch or intentional with these cutscenes.

The focus on the open world (which is pretty limited by itself), the lack of locations, and lack of content in general is one of my main gripes with this game. It's weird that the only game in the series that wasn't bound by a movie-related deadline is the one that seems the most rushed, but sure enough - when you look at the release schedule it was wheezed out barely a year after Spider-man 2.

I wouldn't have minded so much if the game was actually upfront about being a short-but-sweet experience, but it tries to trick you into goofing around by giving you poo poo to unlock all around the map! :rant: At least it was one of the last games to have the goddamn decency to give you the option to say gently caress it and put in a cheat code.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't find the fight that difficult, I just made it longer for myself than it had to be by jumping away from the Goblin when he did his big shockwave and trying to maneuver back to him when he was dazed. I turns out you just jump straight up and immediately be back where you have to be to kick his rear end. :doh:

Also I thought the fire grew automatically while the fight progresses. It turns out you can either gently caress yourself over by accidentally guiding the Goblin to places he can set on fire if you don't know that, or make things easier for yourself by avoiding them if you do.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 11, 2017

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
You know, even though I've played this game before, cutting Bruce Campbell off still seems weirdly blasphemous.

Also, even though I love slo-mo gimmicks in games, I promptly forgot about Spider-Instincts and played through the entire game without it. So... yeah, looking forward to seeing the proper way to do this.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What is it with Spider-Man games and 5-second music loops? This one's pretty catchy though.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Oh no! Doctor Connors has turned into a giant lizard and is going on a rampage! I have to knock him out with these giant meat grinders! In a sewer!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Holy crap that MJ rant was the highlight of this LP series so far. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Ah, the Punch Fury. It looks really cool and I really tried to make it work when I've played the game myself. Yeah, it's pretty useless.

I've never noticed it before, but the lighting engine is really schizophrenic. Sometimes it looks fine, sometimes it decides it won't bother with shadows anymore and the graphics quality suffers as a result. Did you switch versions at some point or does it just do that?

I liked the little hesitation at "You can't just throw them off the ledge because the street is too close and they won't actually... uh... be defeated." I'm sure you didn't actually mean to say "They won't actually die.". Because Spidey wouldn't do that. He only, uh, incapacitates the bad guys through completely non-lethal twenty-storey drops.

• Locked thread