Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Spider-Man Games!
Gameplay spoilers are fine if they're tagged, no story spoilers though.

Spider-Man videogames are my favorite videogames. I've never had more fun or been more excited for videogames than these. Many of these games are everything a licensed product should strive to be! They make use of the character's unique abilities, tell stories that stay faithful to the themes and tone of the source material, and are just generally more high quality than they have any right to be. With the semi-recent announcement of a new Spider-Man for PS4, I thought now was a good time to show the off exactly how amazing the new game has the potential to be!

Why are we here?

Mostly so I can the Spider-Man videogames with you! The 3d ones are my favorite, but I'll be sure to cover the interesting 2D titles as well. I'm really excited about this in case that's not clear.

What's the agenda specifically?

Here's a handy list, in no particular order

-Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
-Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
-Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
-Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
-Spider-Man: The Movie Game
-Spider-Man 2 (for PS2)
-Spider-Man 3 (for PS3)
-Ultimate Spider-Man
-Amazing Spider-Man
-Amazing Spider-Man 2

We'll also look at some of the 2D games in-between. (There's a lot of those.)

Hey, haven't you played a few already?

I previously completed Let's Plays of:

-Edge of Time
-Spider-Man 2000
Spider-Man: Enter Electro
-Spider-Man Amazing Allies
-Spider-Man 3 for the PS2
-Spider-Man 2 for the PC
-Spider-Man: The Movie Game

Are contributions allowed?

Sure thing, but that doesn't guarantee I won't try to play something you do too!

Most recent update:

Extras

Spider-Man: Sinister Six

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro

Enter Electro is the direct sequel to the critically and consumer-acclaimed Spider-Man 2000. That was the action game to own for your PlayStation home entertainment system, and it set the standard for nearly every Spider-Man game to come. So how does Enter Electro intend to improve on that? In a lot of ways, actually!

Firstly, the game is far and away more difficult than its predecessor. Enemies are more aggressive, placed in more challenging positions, and in many cases more numerous. The bosses are ridiculously tough as well, and figuring out their gimmicks and weaknesses isn't a guaranteed victory. While the first game encouraged playing smart and approaching each situation carefully, in many levels Enter Electro absolutely requires it, unless you want to end up as Spider-Stew.

Secondly, there's a greater emphasis on all of the design principles from the first game. Combat has had a few minor refinements to be sure, but the higher demand for stealth immediately comes to mind. If there's something you had to do "sometimes" in the original game, expect to do it a lot more here.

Finally, level-specific gimmicks everywhere. Now, when I say gimmick, I mean that in the best way possible. To ensure variety, countless locations you visit have some sort of unexpected or harrowing challenge. This includes tracking down thugs to stop a bomb that's about to take out a whole city block, or frantically webbing up an airplane before it can crash into nearby objects in the hanger. It's tense, and it's nerve-wracking, and I love it.

The game is memorable, fun, challenging, and I would consider it to be Vicarious Vision's masterpiece.

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 25, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dander My DOSDruid posted:

Hey its'a old Stan here, Good luck with the Spidey Mega thread, I bet there will be many thrills and surprises for fans of the web-slinger!

The lighting seems to have been improved since the last game, quite a nice sunset going on in the tutorial level.

Turns out technology and/or budget progressed a lot in one year.

I'm flattered.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This time we start the game proper, and learn more about the game design than the tutorial could teach us

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

I loved this game back in the day. Crazy amount of variation in the gameplay, and it used vertical space really well.

But I never understood what the difference between Electro and Shocker is and why the latter isn't the big bad in this game considering he has the marginally less ridiculous outfit. Electro is some trash-tier fodder-looking dude from the jump.

The Shocker's powers actually aren't electrical. They're seismic. Concentrated airblasts vibrating at high frequency to cause all sorts of nasty tremors, even worse if it hits a human body. He's Shocker in the sense of an "Aftershock", not an electric jolt. The distinction confused me as a kid too. It doesn't help that the developer thought he had electric powers too or something? Spidey makes a quip about "electrician school".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

See I've only ever seen him in this game and nowhere else other than random artwork. They should have called him Fracker.

I like The Seismaster

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

Considering his contribution to the game was but a minor tremor, I see some fault in calling him a 'master'. Points for being the only superpowered character to have a quilted mask, though!

The quilt mask is actually functional too, unlike whatever Electro is wearing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

Good stuff. I love licensed games that actually take the license as a responsibility as opposed to an excuse to cash in on something else. My previous standard was the PS2-era LotR brawlers, with unlockables like "Watch Ian McKellan totally fail to interact with a Dual Shock Controller". It'll be interesting to see how these go.

Spider-Man games (at least the 3D ones) have always gotten developers who genuinely cared about creating a game that makes good use of the license. Looks like they knew the great power of translating the web-head to a new medium required great responsibility. Few other licensed material has had a consistent run of good games like that.

How were the LoTR games on PS2? I have vague memories of Two Towers but not much else.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

Except Spider-Man 2 for PC

We ignore that one because it breaks the rule.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

A lot of words were here.

Thanks! That's actually a way more informative response than I expected. Did you also play the Fellowship game?

BioEnchanted posted:

The game I'm most looking forward to is Web of Shadows because I was enjoying it until the halfway point. There is a bullshit mission where you have to (gameplay spoiler for WoS)get civillians to an vehicle while defending the vehicle from enemies, but the enemies are constantly spawning instead of coming in waves, so when you og for the civvies the vehicle will be taking damage. I'm looking forward to seeing how to do that. (If this is too much let me know and I'll edit the post, there isn't a spoiler policy in this thread yet)

Gameplay spoilers are fine if they're tagged, no story spoilers though. I'll add that to the OP.

I get a lot of "how are you even supposed to" in regards to Spider-Man games, which I guess may be a good or bad thing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess I've gotta bookmark this thread now, because I've recently become a stupid comic book nerd and christianed myself by reading the first two dozen or so Spider-Man comics from the 1960s. I can honestly see how the web slinger became so popular: his comics have surprisingly mature writing and characters despite the Comics Code, and there's actually somewhat of a sense of progression with relationships and characterization that defies just keeping to a status quo with regular self-contained adventures.

I know right? As far as superhero comics go, Spider-Man has had a solid theme and solid characters since his inception. It's a shame about some of the later (2000 era) comics, but you couldn't ask for a much better base for a superhero.

Kal-L posted:

Spider-Man games? Who would want to play as a nerd who shoots sticky stuff at people? :gonk:

I loved the Spider-Man 2000 game, got all unlockables and the What If? mode. Never got around to playing the sequel. And yes, the best part is hearing Stan Lee narrating :allears:

The sequel is a very different game, but also recognizable for trying to progress the first's game mechanics.

Zushio posted:

I played Spider-Man 2000 on the N64 when it came out and it was totally awesome. I haven't dabbled in any of the other games though so this is awesome to see. I know this sounds odd, but could you either leave in a little bit of the upgrades menu for later games or at least tell us what you've picked up between cuts? It's not for everyone, but I personally like watching light menu work in games.

I want back though your older Spider-Man LPs and it seems that honestly most of the games have been pretty good. I couldn't make it through more than an episode or so of Spider-Man 2 for PC though. Nothing on you but holy crap is that game so bad. You can feel the awful right through the screen. I think I gave up when you Spider Sense dodge the Rhino and it they just copy and paste the dodge from the tutorial. I decided I'd seen all the game had to offer and moved on.

I also played a few of the LoTR games mentioned and can confirm basically everything Bromide said. Although I think I hit a wall in Two Towers near the end? I just remember a sudden and unpleasant difficulty spike.

To chime in on other licensed games that are worth it I have to say Mad Max was fantastic if a little repetitive at times (aka an open world game). Some of the X-men and Marvel action RPGs are pretty fun, but also pretty hard to find now from what I remember. The Scott Pilgrim game on PSN and Live was also good, I assume even better if you like Scott Pilgrim at all. Oh and Arkaham Asylum et al.

Comedy Answers: Star Wars, Tony Hawk pre PS3.

I plan to leave the upgrades menu in for any of the titles with upgrades, like I did for Edge of Time and Spider-Man 3 on PS2 (I think).

Spider-Man 2 on PC was bizarre and maybe made by people who had only vaguely heard of Spider-Man.

I'm a big fan of beat 'em ups, and I'm glad I got the Scott Pilgrim title while I could (it's been de-listed). I remember quite a few of the Star Wars games being great! Especially Battlefront and the vehicle combat sims.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The plane has landed

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

This was the level I got stuck on when I tried to play this game.

I hear that a lot

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GoneRampant posted:

I'm looking forward the most to Ultimate Spider Man, myself. Peter's voice actor is godawful, but if I recall, that game has some nice cell-shading for a 2005 PS2 game and added some stuff to the Spider Man 2 formula.

All the 3d Spider-Man games (besides Spider-Man 2 for PC) build on the previous ones, it's pretty sweet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stealth! Action! Sand!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Sweet. I've only ever really had 3 Spider-Man games, but I thought all 3 of them were pretty good. 2000, Ultimate, and Web of Shadows. Ultimate in particular is probably one of my favorite Gamecube games ever.

What console did you own 2000 for?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

PS1 actually. Odd since Ultimate was on GCN and Web of Shadows was on Wii. I had a lot of Nintendo consoles as a youth.

Side note on the topic of Enter Electro: I've never liked the armpit web look for Spidey. I don't even really know why, I just don't.

It's always interesting to hear which version people played.

The web-armpits mostly appear in the older comics, it's a strange choice to include it here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Spider-Man 2000 was definitely better on the PS1. The N64 version didn't have room for the cutscenes, so you had to deal with comic book panels made up of screenshots of the cutscenes with the audio over it.

I think the 64 version had sharper graphics in-game (and gave Spidey an actual shadow instead of a white dot), but the cutscenes were so poorly handled that they were actually difficult to follow.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Enthusiasms... enthusiasms...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Incompetent robot design

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Did anyone play the Dreamcast version of 2000? It seemed like kinda the best of both worlds, you get sharper graphics than either version and the PS1's cutscenes.

The Dreamcast version is very similar to the PC version, just less buggy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Yay, my Spidey fix is here! :dance: Are you going to do any comparisons between the games and their ports like you did with Iron Man? 'Cause that was cool.

I played Spider-Man 2000 over and over as a kid, so I pretty much got every level memorized even all those years later. This one, I played one or two times so I only remembered glimpses, like it featuring The Awesomest Most Bestest Spider-Man Villain (Except For Venom) The The Shocker, being able to go on the ground level, the terryfing Lizard battle, being weirdly proud of having a bootleg copy of the original print (with the Towers intact), and the bizarre audio issues which I chalked up to the emulator, but which it turns out are part of the package.

It a weird nostalgic trip for me, and to be honest, the game still seems awkward and unpolished. Or maybe I'm just being salty from not being able to beat it as a kid without savescumming like crazy - it introduced new challenges that have very specific solutions, which I wasn't able to figure out. I found the predecessor much more intuitive at the time.

I'll play the other versions of Spider-Man 2000 at some point for the sake of comparison, and probably show the Wii/PS3 versions of Web of Shadows together.

I already played the inferior version of Spider-Man 3, so aside from mentioning my experiences with that one a few times I probably won't compare the two. They're just way too different in terms of mechanics and design. Same for Spider-Man 2.

When I was younger I also got frustrated at Enter Electro because I couldn't figure out what to do, but as an adult the things it asks of me seem a lot more reasonable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The penultimate level(s)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The final level(s)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

WombatCyborg posted:

Huh, this game is a lot shorter than I thought. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by the quality of the soundtrack, something about it rubs me the right way.

It was composed by Tommy Tallarico, the same composer from the first title. He tends to make appropriately energetic game music and sometimes does sound design. I believe he even did the sound design for Maximo (though not the music).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We will see more of the X-Men very briefly in the extras

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The first extra

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hey look, it's Charles!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

And there's Jennifer Hale as Rogue!

She's... not really trying, is she? :effort:

To be fair, I'm not sure you can squeeze too much emotion out of those lines

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last video for Enter Electro

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The next one up will be the unofficial sequel to Enter Electro, Spider-Man: The Movie Game. Gonna take a brief break to work on a smaller project before hopping back to this thread for that.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Thanks for running this. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'd missed these games at the time, so it's great to see them taken apart and shown off.

No problem, I love these games!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Goddamn these boss gallery pictures are great. I miss the days when games were filled to the brim with awesome (non-DLC) extras like these.

Ditto, it was nice to get the vicarious enjoyment of beating the game that gave me so much trouble upside its head. Looking forward to the next LP!

WAIT WHERE'S WHAT IF MODE

Oh yeah, I entirely forgot about What-If? mode. Whoops! I'll get on that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Frogfingers posted:

Wow this game is waaay shorter than I remember. Being a dumb kid who doesn't get the hints about bosses will do that I guess. I loved that there were a ton of alternate costumes as well, but I was always disappointed that they neglected to include my favourite Spider-Man: Man-Spider.

All of the costumes are different skins, so adding extra limbs was probably out of the question

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Okay, now this is the final video

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What in God's name is going on with this woman's body?

Is there a spike of flesh coming out of her right side?

I think that is supposed to be her hip bone

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManxomeBromide posted:

Low polygon count is a grim disease indeed.

The character models in 2000 actually look nicer, so I guess Vicarious just didn't have time/experience to make the in-game models as pretty.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play the Spider-Man Remaster

In 2000, one of the first character action games ever released -Spider-Man- found its way to the PS1 and Nintendo 64. Developed by Neversoft, it used the Tony Hawk engine to do something unexpected: set the foundation for nearly every Spider-Man game to follow. It established fidelity with Spider-Man's character, his world, his villains, and his powers for an all around excellent experience unlike anything that had come before.

It was a hard act to follow, but a year later, Vicarious Visions were up to the challenge. Enter Electro took a big leap ahead in trying to vastly improve the game design, variety, and presentation of its predecessor. But when it came time to choose the developer of the third Spider-Man title, neither Vicarious or Neversoft were on the table. Neversoft went back to their Tony Hawk train, and Vicarious returned to making portable versions of Neversoft's titles.

In this crazy game of Activison's developers constantly porting each other's work, there had to be someone experienced with Spider-Man who wasn't also busy with Tony Hawk. Enter Treyarch, now one of Activision's most prolific and famous developers, given the reigns of the Spider-Man franchise thanks (presumably) to their work on this oft-forgotten Dreamcast remaster of Neversoft's title.

We're going to first play this remaster, and look at it as a bridge between the fifth-generation Spider-Man games and their sixth-generation successors, then go on to playing the Spider-Man: Movie Game. What did Treyarch learn from their development of this title that carried them through the most successful period of Spidey's videogame career, and exactly how many minor details can you change when porting a game without changing the overall design? Let's find out!

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 9, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In way later games in the series they start to be slightly more careful about showing Spidey knocking people to their death, but the next three games or so have massive potential for cruelty in some spots.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jameson why did you call me instead of the cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This entire chase sequence is technically part of the Scorpion act, but that's silly.

• Locked thread