Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think that every man has a subconscious attraction to blades. Every time one of those every day carry threads come around, the pocket knife is probably the single most consistent item you see barring ubiquitous things like wallet/phone/keys. Some guys are really obviously obsessed with blades, such as those that kept the Home Shopping Network and many pawn shops in operation ordering replica katanas. We laugh at the dumpy guys in greasy tee-shirts holding a replica Frostmourne, but I believe that if you've ever held a real, made-to-kill-a-man blade in your hand, you probably at least momentarily felt a little powerful.

That's a natural reaction. But carrying a sword is impractical, uncouth, dangerous and serves no self-defensive purpose since it's so outclassed by a firearm. Many of us sublimate that urge to the blade in other ways. Most guys, it seems, carry a pocket knife, and those that do so regularly will defend their choice to do so on the basis of utility, but it's very true that if you carry a pocket knife you will find things to use it for, even if it's just menial things like clumsily poking a hole through a bag of store bought popcorn and stabbing yourself in the finger because you're high as poo poo and you wanted an excuse to use your knife. Somewhere in my heart I believe all men have this experience in some form at some point in their life. If you haven't, it's coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
So, OP. What are your hopes and dreams for this thread? Are we musing about folding knives and modern masculinity? I will await your response.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you should just carry around a butterfly knife and brag about doing sweet tricks that you can't actually do

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i cant deny the usefulness of a pocket knife or multitool being close at hand. you may find it "gay" and use a lot of words to be actually gay about it, but its handy

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Just carry a gun.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

William Stoner posted:

Just carry a gun.
i don't think you can whittle with a gun, though

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

symbolic posted:

it just takes finesse

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

symbolic posted:

The gently caress I can't

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ork of Fiction posted:

So, OP. What are your hopes and dreams for this thread? Are we musing about folding knives and modern masculinity? I will await your response.

Is there something phallic about it? Is there some element of sublimation to it? There's something unsettling about the effect holding something lethal has on our monkey brains, even if we never act on that feeling. Pocket knives seem like a socially safe thing to carry that fall just on this side of satisfying the subconscious attraction.

I know people don't give a poo poo about Freud anymore but basically are knives dicks??

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Knives are actually scary as gently caress and getting stabbed is like my number one nightmare scenario. Please don't stab, slash, shank or gut me OP. I'll take a clean bullet any day.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Iron Prince posted:

i cant deny the usefulness of a pocket knife or multitool being close at hand. you may find it "gay" and use a lot of words to be actually gay about it, but its handy

I am not denying the utility but it's not a strictly necessary item for 90% of people on a day to day basis. If you work in a central service or construction or similar manual labor job, a razor blade is more convenient and just as effective for a lot of what you would use a knife for. But if you're just Joe Whatever working in an office you probably aren't even technically allowed to carry one but you do anyway and use it as often as possible

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Heath posted:

Is there something phallic about it? Is there some element of sublimation to it? There's something unsettling about the effect holding something lethal has on our monkey brains, even if we never act on that feeling. Pocket knives seem like a socially safe thing to carry that fall just on this side of satisfying the subconscious attraction.

I know people don't give a poo poo about Freud anymore but basically are knives dicks??

100% yes. That's why I usually carry two of them and touch them together when no one is watchin.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Everyone always goes on about how useful it is having a multitool or whatever at all times but when they actually use it it seems so unnecessary. Like why do you need this 100 dollar tool to open some boxes or letters or to cut your nails or whatever? If you're hiking or something, fine, but nobody needs one at the office.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I always carry a Leatherman with me when I go out. I like having a mini toolkit with me, should I need one. At school, I generally need it at least once a day for some reason.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
in England, knives are illegal

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
A pocket knife is just a thing that all kids should start carrying once they are responsible. It's not something to fetishize. I've never left home without a pocket knife since I was in 7th grade.

Trust me, even in office work, you'll need it daily. Whether it's opening a package or peeling an apple, it's always handy. Just find the one that works for you. I currently use a Svord Peasant knife which is handy and light. I used to use a Leatherman Wave but I don't need the tools anymore for daily work and they're too heavy for slacks. I do keep it in my bag if I need it.

Sometimes, things just need cutting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think we have different definitions of "need". I've certainly gotten by just fine without one. Need to open a package? There's almost always scissors laying around somewhere at an office, or you could just use your keys or just rip it open.

Not saying they aren't useful, but my point was most of the times you see people using them another tool that doesn't cost so much could have done the job just as well. It just seems like overkill to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't understand how anybody needs a knife regularly enough to carry it everywhere. When would you ever need it at, say, the mall?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Someone post the quote of the goon who admitted to randomly stabbing some guy on the way home as he thought he was being mugged.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

sog slimjim xl is good and not bad. assisted open rules, but only because im legally not allowed to own a switch blade in my state.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Trying to attack someone with a Swiss Army Knife type pocket knife would probably end with the blade folding on your own hand...

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I carry a Leatherman Wave with me most of the time. I also don't need it most of the time.
When I do use it, a lot of the time I use it for the pliers.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

why even carry a pocket knife any more when everyone already has a smartphone

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I lost my pocket knife

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I carry this everywhere:

I've used it to open boxes, stab small hole into popcorn bags, and to cut myself while trying to cut other things.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Having a functional use for a knife is way more believable to me than people who carry them for self defense.

It's basically an invitation to the kumite and it would be more polite to make it a ceremonial dagger on a pillow.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Trying to attack someone with a Swiss Army Knife type pocket knife would probably end with the blade folding on your own hand...

Isnt there a Darwin Award entry where a Swiss Army instructor got shanked after scaring some recruits that just had some quick draw & shank with a army knife training?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Everyone should carry a pocketknife and a cigarette lighter with them pretty much 100% of the time.

Sometimes you need to cut something. Sometimes you need to make fire.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JonathonSpectre posted:

Everyone should carry a pocketknife and a cigarette lighter with them pretty much 100% of the time.

I carry those things in my butt lol

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
That was a nicely composed OP, OP.
I've found knives to be like umbrellas. When you have one, you probably won't need it, but when you need one, you're glad you brought it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

JonathonSpectre posted:

where can i find some shorts with enough pockets for all these items?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i have a folding knife but I don't carry it with me because that's guaranteed jail time if I ever get into a fight despite the fact that it barely cuts salami

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it's very useful because it has an built in screwdriver

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RideTheSpiral posted:

where can i find some shorts with enough pockets for all these items?

They are called cargo shorts. hth

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i only carry authentic replica swords

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Its satisfying to gently cut something open with a blade instead of tearing at the tape with keys like a savage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

imagine being such an idiot bitch that you can't fathom the utility of a sharpened piece of metal smfh

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are called cargo shorts. hth

crazy i had no idea

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i work in an office and carry a pocket knife sometimes but i rarely have a need for it ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Pff. Your multitools are cute but to be truly prepared you need a good, solid tactical utility belt.

• Locked thread