Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gfsincere posted:

It's almost like it happened in our parents lifetime or something...weird right?

I know! And there's this strange thing in the back of my head where I kinda remember the Navajo nation having a huge disaster recently because the EPA accidentally let loose a bunch of wastewater from a capped mine into their drinking water supply. Funny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Its ironic because you're praising the people of Bismark for restraint over plans while tut-tutting the natives over carried out actions.
Also: They are protesting. Of course they are going to be trespassing.
"Why do all these people we're inconveniencing have to get in our way! Can't they find some non-interference way to protest our actions?" :bahgawd:
Restraint isn't really a concept that applies when you get your way by asking. I'm not praising or condemning. I'm explaining why one group warranted a police response and one didn't: the trespassing.

CommieGIR posted:

South Dakota has a legacy of abusing the Natives. Hell, some of it is ongoing right now... And let's just pretend they didn't push this through as fast as loving possible without much recourse... Yeah, why would the Souix be upset? Obviously their concerns have been addressed :rolleyes:

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah, and weirdly that is an amorphous delineation dependent upon the whims of the US Government. You can look back to the Ft. Laramie treaty where they were promised the Black Hills of South Dakota, later discovered gold there, and now we carved our president's into their sacred mountains.
None of this is relevant to the claim that the Sioux have an ownership right to the land the pipeline runs on, or a veto on what the owners do there.

quote:

Alicia Garza, founder of the Black Lives Matter social movement, contrasted the aggressive police action with the treatment of the organizers of a standoff at an Oregon wildlife refuge (acquitted of federal charges on the same day as the police raid of the camp),[67] saying "If you're white, you can occupy federal property ... and get found not guilty. No teargas, no tanks, no rubber bullets ... If you're indigenous and fighting to protect our earth, and the water we depend on to survive, you get tear gassed, media blackouts, tanks and all that."
They were literally flying a Blackhawk around the Bundy occupation, and rolled up the leaders at gunpoint in a black SUV roadblock while a drone filmed everything. And shot one of them dead. It doesn't get a much more paramilitary than that.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The Standing Rock don't want to own part of the Vegas Strip, they want some administrative power over some acres that directly border their own, acres they say contain priceless spiritual sites and relics, acres that were literally stolen from them as a critical component of centuries of organized slaughter and the attempted wholesale destruction of their culture and way of life
Regretting/criticizing that genocide, without listening to the Standing Rock on their terms and working to return at least some power over the land to them, is like mugging someone for their wallet, apologizing, and then keeping the wallet and using the money to buy a steak dinner for yourself while they watch
I see we're back to the "Standing Rock have a free-floating right to the land" argument. Show me. Get out a crayon and a map and show me the extent of Sioux territorial claims, the area that they feel they should be able to veto construction in. Show me what documentation it is based on. Then we can talk about abolishing the current system of property rights in the Dakotas. You have to actually make some sort of cognizable, bounded claim before we can realistically discuss anything.

CommieGIR posted:

The best part of this conversation is how its not on their land.
But this is really the only issue that matters. I'm sure the environmental impact claims have a bright, litigious future, but the ownership claims are irrelevant and the cultural/historic preservation claims appear to have been reasonably addressed.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 4, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I see we're back to the "Standing Rock have a free-floating right to the land" argument. Show me. Get out a crayon and a map and show me the extent of Sioux territorial claims, the area that they feel they should be able to veto construction in. Show me what documentation they are based on. Then we can talk about abolishing the current system of property rights in the Dakotas. You have to actually make some sort of cognizable, bounded claim before we can realistically discuss anything.

My claim is that they deserve control over the land immediately adjacent to theirs which contains some of the proposed pipeline, the land on which they're seeking to prevent pipeline construction, and that doesn't require a position on whether they should have control over any other land as well

But that's an uninteresting answer to your question, so I'll tell you that I'm leaning toward "convene a panel of historians, determine the extent of Standing Rock land that was stolen by genocidal US forces, give them all of that land that was taken from them and allow them to choose whether or not to sell any part of it back to anyone. Do the same with all other Native American tribes." As a non-historian I wouldn't be on that panel, but if the tribe feels really strongly about this patch of land, and it historically controlled this patch of land before being marched off at gunpoint, it obviously should be returned to their control

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Thank you did you understand the moral?

The moral is that the practitioners and profiteers of a genocide should not be able to dictate the terms of reparations to the victims, while you seem to believe that the Sioux are acting like spoiled brats for wanting to exercise control over more of the land that was taken from them
I reject any argument for reparations based on crimes committed exclusively by dead people against dead people. Once everyone involved is dead it's time to bury the hatchet. If you want to make arguments based on more recent shittiness fine, but at some point you need to let bygones be bygones unless you want to be like the former Yugoslavia and locked in eternal wars of reprisal based on whose dad killed whose dad over some meaningless strip of land 600 loving years ago. A more recent example like...

http://www.msnbc.com/interactives/geography-of-poverty/nw.html

I'm not going to quote any of this, read the whole thing it's appalling

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo, it's almost like, in living memory, the Corps of Engineers flooded one of the most resource-dense parts of the reservation because they wanted to put a lake there.
The best part about this is the woman named "Young" who is quoted several times in that article is probably either the idiot who kept ignoring the Army Corps requests for help finding their prayer stones or her daughter. The article also tries to avoid discussing that the government did actually pay them for the land they took to build the dams, the Standing Rock Sioux and other tribes simply claim it wasn't enough and they deserve more. In the case of the Standing Rock Sioux, the government paid them $12 million (PDF) in 1958 for the land they took which would be $101 million in 2016 dollars. Another website says "nearly 1000 families" were relocated due to the construction of all five dams. Given that the Standing Rock were merely some fraction of that, they got at least $100k per family and probably more like $300k+ per family. I'm open to the idea that they weren't adequately compensated but the government's payout doesn't seem unreasonable.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

My claim is that they deserve control over the land immediately adjacent to theirs which contains some of the proposed pipeline, the land on which they're seeking to prevent pipeline construction, and that doesn't require a position on whether they should have control over any other land as well
:lol: "I'm asserting that there is definitely a property right here, but I cannot comment on where it may be bounded or what it is based on." Come on, we've already started. You've established that granting the tribe sovereignty over Las Vegas would be ridiculous, but that the land ten miles north of their current reservation should definitely be theirs. Does it extend north to Bismarck? Let's work east from Vegas, too. What about Denver?

But that's an uninteresting answer to your question, so I'll tell you that I'm leaning toward "convene a panel of historians, determine the extent of Standing Rock land that was stolen by genocidal US forces, give them all of that land that was taken from them and allow them to choose whether or not to sell any part of it back to anyone. Do the same with all other Native American tribes." As a non-historian I wouldn't be on that panel, but if the tribe feels really strongly about this patch of land, and it historically controlled this patch of land before being marched off at gunpoint, it obviously should be returned to their control
Okay, so your plan is to displace a large portion of the 1.6 million people in North and South Dakota (and presumably every other state in the Mississippi river basin as well) from their homes, presumably at gunpoint, if the native tribes decline to allow them the "opportunity" to purchase their homes again at full market value. That's a strange sense of justice you have there. I think I'm gonna take a pass on that, along with all the other not-crazy people

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

I reject any argument for reparations based on crimes committed exclusively by dead people against dead people.

The victims of the crimes are still alive today. Native Americans and Black Americans aren't impoverished because they chose to be.

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: "I'm asserting that there is definitely a property right here, but I cannot comment on where it may be bounded or what it is based on." Come on, we've already started. You've established that granting the tribe sovereignty over Las Vegas would be ridiculous, but that the land ten miles north of their current reservation should definitely be theirs. Does it extend north to Bismarck? Let's work east from Vegas, too. What about Denver?

The tribe isn't expressing interest in any sort of control except over the lands they already own and the land 10 miles north where the pipeline will be, so obviously they shouldn't have Bismarck/Denver because they don't want it.

If something is stolen from you, and you want it back, you should get it back. This is a really really good law for civilization to have, because it simultaneously provides for restitution and deterrence against stealing. If you're never going to be forced to return what you stole, why not steal? Practicing this principle with Native American tribes, after they were brutally genocided for literally hundreds of years, seems appropriate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Okay, so your plan is to displace a large portion of the 1.6 million people in North and South Dakota (and presumably every other state in the Mississippi river basin as well) from their homes, presumably at gunpoint, if the native tribes decline to allow them the "opportunity" to purchase their homes again at full market value. That's a strange sense of justice you have there. I think I'm gonna take a pass on that, along with all the other not-crazy people

Why do you think that the Standing Rock would be so cruel as to kick everyone off of the land? Because that's what was done to them? If any of the lives of those 1.6 million people are ruined, then create a robust social safety net so that they can still lead decent and comfortable lives. Doing the right thing is expensive sometimes

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 4, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The victims of the crimes are still alive today. Native Americans and Black Americans aren't impoverished because they chose to be.

The tribe isn't expressing interest in any sort of control except over the lands they already own and the land 10 miles north where the pipeline will be, so obviously they shouldn't have Bismarck/Denver because they don't want it.

If we perpetuate a crime or injustice for long enough, it's okay. We are marching towards a bright and glorious future, and we should look forwards and not backwards. Obama said as much.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
For people saying the cultural/archaeological side of things has been addressed it really hasn't been to the standards of the broader archaeological community and theres buzz around of possible repercussions for the archaeologists that okayed the project. Its not super uncommon (sadly) for archaeologists to "survey" a site and okay it so they can make some semi quick cash. Its one reason Native groups still dont trust archaeologists.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

For people saying the cultural/archaeological side of things has been addressed it really hasn't been to the standards of the broader archaeological community and theres buzz around of possible repercussions for the archaeologists that okayed the project. Its not super uncommon (sadly) for archaeologists to "survey" a site and okay it so they can make some semi quick cash. Its one reason Native groups still dont trust archaeologists.

Could you share some articles about this? Sounds fascinating, but I don't know where to go looking for news about the archeological community

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Could you share some articles about this? Sounds fascinating, but I don't know where to go looking for news about the archeological community

I'll see if I can dig (heh) anything up on either the SAA or AAA sites but I heard about the possible repercussions from a professor of mine who's focus is these types of issues and has been traveling to a couple of conferences where the topic has come up, it mostly likely will remain an internal debate until they reach a consensus and they will announce. Regardless of what they decide the archaeologist for the project is super hosed in regards to jobs.

Archaeologists that half rear end a survey is an open secret in the profession and does not really get reported for reasons that pretty much boil down to self-interest or that the reporters get ignored.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ah, but if they did want Bismarck or Denver, would you think that they should have it? If not, why not? Your entire claim that they have a right turns pretty heavily on this.

Why do you think that the Standing Rock would be so cruel as to kick everyone off of the land? Because that's what was done to them? If any of the lives of those 1.6 million people are ruined, then create a robust social safety net so that they can still lead decent and comfortable lives. Doing the right thing is expensive sometimes
Well, you yourself said that the Standing Rock would have the option of deciding to sell. Declining to sell would be retaining the property right for themselves, and property rights are by definition the right to exclude. Would they be extracting rents from the people who previously thought they owned their homes outright? Your whole scenario depends on the Standing Rock either having a property right that they never exercise, or mass expulsion/extortion.

BTW, this is why, despite your moralizing, the entire "just give the land back to the natives" argument is retarded. This is the only logical endpoint. The argument boils down to, "the only moral property rights were those established in 1620 (was it 1620, by the way? The year matters a lot when you're carving up the United States to give back to the tribes, because they went to war and took territory from each other pretty frequently) and any coerced transfer after that point is immoral. So to rectify those people getting forced out of their homes, where some of them had lived for generations, at gunpoint in the 1800s... we're going to force a whole lot more people out of their homes, where some of them have lived for generations, at gunpoint today." There isn't even a lovely utilitarian argument to be made.

So you either parting shot the hero, or you argue long enough to see yourself propose something monstrous.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 4, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

I am a blonde haired fair-skinned man and could easily join the KKK. I am also the direct descendant of a half-black orphan. No one knows why he was dumped at an orphanage before the Civil War, but it's pretty much certain that if not one of his parents then some of his ancestors were slaves. So despite having never been judged once in my life by the color of my skin I am probably entitled to slavery reparations. That would be ridiculous. The alternative is that we forget about slavery reparations and focus on more recent harms, like Jim Crow, redlining, and so on, and perhaps consider compensation and affirmative action on that basis. Do you see the analogy to Native Americans?

Again, you are proposing a world where no-one ever forgives or forgets anything, forever re-litigating past slights in the name of "justice".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Or he could be proposing that the ongoing violations of the terms of the treaties which won that land from the natives somewhat invalidates the treaties. It's never been a big issue, since we've pushed the tribes onto bad enough land and denied them resources long enough that they've never been in a position to take reprisals, but at no point does that make it right.

Edit : phone spell gud

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 4, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am a blonde haired fair-skinned man and could easily join the KKK. I am also the direct descendant of a half-black orphan. No one knows why he was dumped at an orphanage before the Civil War, but it's pretty much certain that if not one of his parents then some of his ancestors were slaves. So despite having never been judged once in my life by the color of my skin I am probably entitled to slavery reparations. That would be ridiculous. The alternative is that we forget about slavery reparations and focus on more recent harms, like Jim Crow, redlining, and so on, and perhaps consider compensation and affirmative action on that basis. Do you see the analogy to Native Americans?

Again, you are proposing a world where no-one ever forgives or forgets anything, forever re-litigating past slights in the name of "justice".

You don't know anything about the case for reparations, do you?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's impossible to forget about slavery because its legacy permeates basically every single interaction and facet of American life. If we were to set out forget slavery or other "past slights", the first step would be somehow repairing the incredible damage that was done. Erasing the evidence by cleaning up the mess. Making everything look as if the terrible crime had never occurred. Repertory transformation. Reparation.

You can't forget about a wound until it's healed, otherwise you can try but you'll be reminded every time you see it in the mirror. If something precious was taken from you, you can't forget about it until it's returned, even if you'd rather forget than remember.

Do you see the analogy to Native Americans?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 4, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ah, but if they did want Bismarck or Denver, would you think that they should have it? If not, why not? Your entire claim that they have a right turns pretty heavily on this.

Well, you yourself said that the Standing Rock would have the option of deciding to sell. Declining to sell would be retaining the property right for themselves, and property rights are by definition the right to exclude. Would they be extracting rents from the people who previously thought they owned their homes outright? Your whole scenario depends on the Standing Rock either having a property right that they never exercise, or mass expulsion/extortion.
What if we agree that the Standing Rock should be able to decide whether pipelines are built or not built on land so long as:

A. It was seized from them during genocide
B. Nobody lives on it
C. They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it

So we don't have to worry about Denver or Bismarck or any other town where people live. Do you have any concerns with this policy? It seems to me like very literally the least that could be given to them - and, incidentally, all that they're asking for.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
JC, 4 pages of people not understanding what "causes people to protest" :eng99:

The SR Lakota have, like all the indian nations at the site, all but wiped out by a policy of extermination by the state that now tries to ram a big gently caress-off oil pipe through their water supply. On their site may be a lot of concerned citizens, but on the other you have the USA CoE, security companies and some extremely rich people who rarely have an qualms about buying off the justice system.

We're lucky things haven't gotten uglier, and should support their cause. What do you people drink, once you're done posting? Something with water in it, and you sure as hell aren't rich enough to buy up clean water supplies once a pipeline fucks up yours.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I live in Ventura County. It's in Southern California and it's economy is reasonably good. Just this year we had three major oil or gas leaks including one on Wednesday which caused an area to be covered in a fog of natural gas for over 24 hours.

We're also slogging thru a legal battle to force a company to definitively shut down an off-shore oil rig built on an artificial island. The pipeline's corroding, the bridge connecting the island to the shore is liable to collapse if anything heavier than a golf cart drives on it, the rock barriers need to be rebuilt, and it hasn't actually been used in years because it's no longer profitable. The counties next door have also had problems with oil and gas leaks that literally threatened schools, houses, and businesses

If the heart of well-off liberal Southern California still has these sorts of problems what chances would an impoverished reservation have if something went wrong with the pipeline now, 10 years from now, 30 years from now?

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
As a native american, I seen that nobody gives a gently caress about Flintstones Michigan. White people cant care about water if the town is more than 15% brown. I grew up on the Wakpala Lakota reservation, and all the surviving adults from my childhood are at the protest.

The tribe should just buy a bunch of bottled water with the settlement money of white people stealing their land. The Lakota can be like the fremen on david lynches dune, but underground vaults of bottled water.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

What if we agree that the Standing Rock should be able to decide whether pipelines are built or not built on land so long as:

B. Nobody lives on it
C. They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it

So we don't have to worry about Denver or Bismarck or any other town where people live. Do you have any concerns with this policy? It seems to me like very literally the least that could be given to them - and, incidentally, all that they're asking for.
I'm not necessarily opposed to this strategy, but I can't understand why you can't simply draw the borders of this strategy, if you think it is a coherent way to categorize land. Do "they" have unlimited rights to change where they actively express interest in? If so, I don't see how this removes worry about Denver or Bismarck.

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I'm not necessarily opposed to this strategy, but I can't understand why you can't simply draw the borders of this strategy, if you think it is a coherent way to categorize land. Does "they" have unlimited rights to change where they actively express interest in? If so, I don't see how this removes worry about Denver or Bismarck.

just lol at the idea that we can't respect the rights of native americans or they will take over denver

the mental gymnastics, it's amazing

edit. my apologies if you're being ironic it's hard to tell

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 4, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

just lol at the idea that we can't respect the rights of native americans or they will take over denver

the mental gymnastics, it's amazing

edit. my apologies if you're being ironic it's hard to tell
I'm not being ironic, I just want people who want to grant land rights to people to explain the extent of the land that they want those rights to extend to. We can't even begin the conversation until we know what is being proposed.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I'm not being ironic, I just want people who want to grant land rights to people to explain the extent of the land that they want those rights to extend to. We can't even begin the conversation until we know what is being proposed.

as you've so cleverly illustrated by bringing up such shockers as "if we grant them these land rights, what's to stop them from taking denver"

really, glad we have someone like you asking the hard questions

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twodot posted:

You already saw this:

B. Nobody lives on it

Denver clearly isn't included because, while I haven't independently verified this myself, I've been told people live in Denver.

I don't know what the geographical layout of these territories would look like, but that's a coherent way to draw them out. A compromise between absolute reparations (which would involve the return of ALL land) and kindness toward the people who have settled on the stolen land. And, above all else, listening to the tribe about what they want - which isn't that much at all!

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 4, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

as you've so cleverly illustrated by bringing up such shockers as "if we grant them these land rights, what's to stop them from taking denver"

really, glad we have someone like you asking the hard questions
I'm not the one who brought up Denver, I was replying to a person who claimed they had a strategy that precluded worrying about Denver, but wasn't able to actually draw borders that precluded Denver.
Please draw these borders on a map. I don't know how to measure "They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it".
edit:
Oh you provided actual content. There are areas of Denver that no one lives on.

quote:

I don't know what the geographical layout of these territories would look like
How in the gently caress can you think this is a good idea if you don't actually know the territory your idea applies to?

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

Please draw these borders on a map. I don't know how to measure "They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it".

:goonsay:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

I mean the person who provided the strategy I've been talking about has explicitly said they themselves don't know how to define the region they are talking about, so I'm unclear what's unreasonable about that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twodot posted:

I'm not the one who brought up Denver, I was replying to a person who claimed they had a strategy that precluded worrying about Denver, but wasn't able to actually draw borders that precluded Denver.

edit:
Oh you provided actual content. There are areas of Denver that no one lives in.

Dude, I don't know what those borders look like geographically because I'm not an expert on the layout of residential and commercial land use in the American west, and an expert on the history of native land seizure in the United States, and also well-aware of what the Standing Rock do and don't want land-wise. I'm providing a principle by which those borders can be drawn, which should be enough to determine if any given parcel of land fits.

The region can be defined and described by the rules that I've provided, that should be enough to start a discussion. This is actually :goonsay: as all hell

For example: some parts of Denver are occupied, which means that the Standing Rock can't have those. Other parts, the Standing Rock have never expressed any interest in, so they won't have those either.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

I mean the person who provided the strategy I've been talking about has explicitly said they themselves don't know how to define the region they are talking about, so I'm unclear what's unreasonable about that.

Yeah I think it's painfully obvious that you're not clear on much of anything.

For example,

twodot posted:

There are areas of Denver that no one lives on.

For example: some parts of Denver are occupied, which means that the Standing Rock can't have those. Other parts, the Standing Rock have never expressed any interest in, so they won't have those either.

I've lived in Denver and I'll save you some time, he's full of poo poo.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

I have no idea how you could go about falsifying the idea that Standing Rock (the community, the individuals that make up that community, the leadership?) has never expressed any interest in Denver. Nor have you been explicit about whether your rules permit Standing Rock to express interest in Denver having learned that expression of interest is sufficient to gain land rights. You need to understand what your proposal actually is before you can think it is good or not.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I've lived in Denver and I'll save you some time, he's full of poo poo.
So you're stance is now that Denver doesn't have any businesses? Like I don't want to be arguing over such trivialities, but the rules supplied are so dumb that it can't be avoided. Just draw an actual map of what you want.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Old unincorporated denver, where the bears and elk run wild. Some of the greatest hiking west of the mississippi, come on down to the gold mine and grab some souvenirs for the kids!

twodot posted:

So you're stance is now that Denver doesn't have any businesses? Like I don't want to be arguing over such trivialities, but the rules supplied are so dumb that it can't be avoided. Just draw an actual map of what you want.

Uhh no my stance is that Denver has no "unpopulated areas" feel free to look at a map if you want to check. Or you know, live there for five years like I did.

edit. also to be clear, my stance is that you're an idiot talking out of your rear end who literally can't stop himself

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Old unincorporated denver, where the bears and elk run wild. Some of the greatest hiking west of the mississippi, come on down to the gold mine and grab some souvenirs for the kids!

Uhh no my stance is that Denver has no "unpopulated areas" feel free to look at a map if you want to check. Or you know, live there for five years like I did.
The rules given were "Nobody lives on it", don't put quote marks around things that aren't quotes. There are areas of Denver that nobody lives on, that's just a fact.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

The rules given were "Nobody lives on it", don't put quote marks around things that aren't quotes. There are areas of Denver that nobody lives on, that's just a fact.

Enlighten us with an example oh wisdomful one

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Enlighten us with an example oh wisdomful one
Ignoring the fact that I already gave you an entire category of an example, nobody lives here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

Ignoring the fact that I already gave you an entire category of an example, nobody lives here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

Ironically enough being one of the most popular places for the homeless to sleep. So actually you're wrong in this case. Really the suncor plant or the airport would be better bet if you want to double down on your autism.

No see guys if we let them not build this pipeline what's to stop the Sioux from claiming the Suncor plant in Denver as their own? Really makes you think

Man it's just amazing how much some people will flail to avoid just posting "you know what, that is kind of silly, maybe we shouldn't waste pages on this dumb idea that popped into my head"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Ironically enough being one of the most popular places for the homeless to sleep. So actually you're wrong in this case. Really the suncor plant or the airport would be better bet if you want to double down on your autism.

No see guys if we let them not build this pipeline what's to stop the Sioux from claiming the Suncor plant in Denver as their own? Really makes you think
Ignoring the question of whether people sleep in the actual building, I still think it's reasonable to distinguish between temporary sleeping arrangements and where people live. People typically don't live in hotels either.

Someone proposed a system of rules rather than just defining the borders of what they want. If their system of rules allows the Sioux to claim the Suncor plant in Denver, me observing that fact isn't my fault. Especially considering that the person who proposed the system of rules is the one who falsely claimed that all of Denver was somehow exempt from their rules, even though they maintain they can't actually draw the borders of where their rules apply. If rules have absurd outcomes, then it's the rules (or their author) who is at fault.
edit:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Man it's just amazing how much some people will flail to avoid just posting "you know what, that is kind of silly, maybe we shouldn't waste pages on this dumb idea that popped into my head"
I feel like this is opposite post. The rules provided are dumb, we shouldn't be talking about them. Anyone who wants to grant land rights to people should just be able to define who gets them and where they extend to.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twodot posted:

I have no idea how you could go about falsifying the idea that Standing Rock (the community, the individuals that make up that community, the leadership?) has never expressed any interest in Denver. Nor have you been explicit about whether your rules permit Standing Rock to express interest in Denver having learned that expression of interest is sufficient to gain land rights. You need to understand what your proposal actually is before you can think it is good or not.

Well, I think we're getting to an issue here, which is that I privately believe that justice demands the Standing Rock should be able to hold a lot of land in Denver. But I'm not working to convince you of that, I'm working to convince you that the Standing Rock should be able to control whether a pipeline is built in this very small part of land. So let's add a fourth rule:

B. Nobody lives on it
D. The land lays at most 15 miles from the current borders of the Standing Rock Reservation as it exists today in 2016.

Are you fine with these rules? Do they strike you as a reasonable compromise between restoring the impact of genocidal land theft and allowing modern-day occupiers of that land to live their lives uninterrupted?

Also, one can actually draw this shape super easily if you have the right software (I don't). Take the border of the reservation; at every point along that border, draw a circle of radius 15. You'll now be able to observe a potential new border. Alter the border so that it goes around/leaves out all places that lay outside the old reservation and contain residential land use. Then, contact the Standing Rock and ask them if they want control over any of this land, and let them identify the parts they want. Give them those parts.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 4, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
alright maybe you're just a bot programmed to post autistically, either way not wasting any more time trying to explain to you why "but then they could take Denver!?!?!" is such a dumb thing for you to be posting about. have fun making a fool of yourself

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Well, I think we're getting to an issue here, which is that I privately believe that justice demands the Standing Rock should be able to hold a lot of land in Denver. But I'm not working to convince you of that, I'm working to convince you that the Standing Rock should be able to control whether a pipeline is built in this very small part of land. So let's add a fourth rule:

B. Nobody lives on it
D. The land lays at most 15 miles from the current borders of the Standing Rock Reservation as it exists today in 2016.

Are you fine with these rules? Do they strike you as a reasonable compromise between restoring the impact of genocidal land theft and allowing modern-day occupiers of that land to live their lives uninterrupted?
I would oppose those rules personally. If I thought Standing Rock had some claim on the land 15 miles from its current borders, I would argue the government should pay them the current market value of that land, but it shouldn't forcibly take rights to privately held land just to compensate Standing Rock. I also don't understand how you came to the figure 15 miles, and whether you would argue the same figure were their borders bigger or smaller than they are today.

NewForumSoftware posted:

alright maybe you're just a bot programmed to post autistically, either way not wasting any more time trying to explain to you why "but then they could take Denver!?!?!" is such a dumb thing for you to be posting about. have fun making a fool of yourself
The timing of this post is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

twodot posted:

I would oppose those rules personally. If I thought Standing Rock had some claim on the land 15 miles from its current borders, I would argue the government should pay them the current market value of that land, but it shouldn't forcibly take rights to privately held land just to compensate Standing Rock. I also don't understand how you came to the figure 15 miles, and whether you would argue the same figure were their borders bigger or smaller than they are today.

15 miles is an arbitrary figure I chose to include the disputed pipeline land while leaving out anything else of note.

As for the government paying them current market value: don't you think genocide victims should have the right to dictate the manner in which they're paid reparations? The land has spiritual and sentimental value due to both elements of the Standing Rock faith and the fact that it was stolen from them in genocide; its absence from their administration is gaping wound. The government doesn't have to seize that land to return it; it can just buy it back from its private owners. It might be expensive for the government to buy that land, but it can be expensive to make up for mass genocide and cultural extinction programs. I'm a Jew and we got a whole country, we can give the Standing Rock back a few parcels of land in the middle of nowhere.

• Locked thread