Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I still haven't finished Spirit of Justice, I think I got halfway into the last case but every new revelation made me put the game down. I really didn't get on with that game and that made me so sad, i hope any hypothetical 7 is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It would be entirely possible for Shu Takumi to return to mainline AA with 7, it has been 3 years since he wrote/directed Great Ace Attorney 2. That'd be different from 5 and 6.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

maybe it was just the way they handled the end part of the case, i was expecting/hoping for some brutal quercus alba down to the wire type slug fest but breaking simon's arguments down was quick and easy. his penalties were big but his puzzles were straightforward. i consider blaise a scarier enemy because his corruption is the entire reason simon exists at all, to say little of how taking him down felt like i'd conquered a mountain.

maybe it's not even like a narrative thing, it could be more of a gameplay thing

When you confront Simon he's already used you to do pretty much everything he wanted, you're just chasing him down to tie up loose ends more than anything else. Most of what he did was to protect himself anyways and he really doesn't have that much to work with once he's out in the open.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I finally beat Apollo Justice and I liked it about as much as the first 3. I can see why Phoenix's arc might have ruffled some feathers but I thought it paid off well enough in the end. It's actually kind of funny his downfall was unknowingly submitting fake evidence because maybe I'm remembering wrong but it feels like in the first 3 games people are constantly coming to you in the middle of a trial and handing you completely unverified decisive evidence which up until that point has worked out completely fine. I think really my only complaint is that the Gavins aren't very interesting rivals/antagonists compared to everyone in the first trilogy.

Also, best music so far hands down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=093VR-LJ6H8

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Apollo Justice soundtrack rips, and I quite liked the game, too!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

man nurse posted:

The Apollo Justice soundtrack rips, and I quite liked the game, too!

It's a good evolution from making full use of the gba's peculiarities to make an iconic soundtrack.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

robot roll call posted:

I finally beat Apollo Justice and I liked it about as much as the first 3. I can see why Phoenix's arc might have ruffled some feathers but I thought it paid off well enough in the end. It's actually kind of funny his downfall was unknowingly submitting fake evidence because maybe I'm remembering wrong but it feels like in the first 3 games people are constantly coming to you in the middle of a trial and handing you completely unverified decisive evidence which up until that point has worked out completely fine. I think really my only complaint is that the Gavins aren't very interesting rivals/antagonists compared to everyone in the first trilogy.

Also, best music so far hands down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=093VR-LJ6H8
Klavier is basically the only prosecutor in the series who doesn't come off as incredibly sinister, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Klavier rubs me the wrong way because he’s actually one of the scummiest prosecutors you face off against, even though everyone keeps treating him like a good sport who plays fair. Apollo at least dislikes him on principle, but he should be in way more trouble for the poo poo he pulls throughout the game.

Godot and Blackquill played far more fair and got far more guff than Klavier ever did. Edgey and Franziska after their debut games too, for that matter.

Apollo and Trucy were a real fun team and Kristoph, Ema and Phoenix were good in their roles. Klavier was the big problem.

Agreed on the music, it slapped.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the first two cases of AJ:AA were fine but 3 was terrible even by case 3 standards and the final case was a lot weaker than any of the other finales.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought the first two cases of AJ:AA were fine but 3 was terrible even by case 3 standards and the final case was a lot weaker than any of the other finales.

My thoughts exactly.

3 was the case that leaned in way too hard on the “look at what we can do now!” factor with that video. And 4’s MASON system was really... disorienting? Like, I get the idea that it’s supposed to be an abstraction of what Phoenix did in the intervening years, but it’s still jarring to explicitly present evidence that you “chronologically” got much later to characters in the past.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

AJ:AA was fine except for that loving song

Dual Destinies remains my favorite, though. Even if it doesn't have a single case in my top 3; it also doesn't really have the clunker a lot of the others have.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The reveal in Dual Destinies is so good. I literally dropped my 3DS because I realized what had happened at the exact moment the game wanted me to. And it's so obvious in retrospect!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even beyond the video playing way too many times I thought case 3 was really bad. The motive was impersonal and dumb, the actions the murderer took were bizarre and it made no sense to me that the defendant was being prosecuted for most of the case.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Arist posted:

The reveal in Dual Destinies is so good. I literally dropped my 3DS because I realized what had happened at the exact moment the game wanted me to. And it's so obvious in retrospect!

Yeah same, it works perfectly. My favourite reveal in the whole series I think.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

FairGame posted:

AJ:AA was fine except for that loving song

Now I'm curious; what song?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Dual Destinies is my favorite too, mostly because Blackquill is the best prosecutor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vichan posted:

Now I'm curious; what song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw

for a proper AJ experience watch this 15 times

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should dig my 3DS out and replay those games.

I replayed Apollo Justice on it a while ago and man, this first gen 3DS' battery is so dead, I kinda have to have it on the wall at all times.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 22, 2020

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Even beyond the video playing way too many times I thought case 3 was really bad. The motive was impersonal and dumb, the actions the murderer took were bizarre and it made no sense to me that the defendant was being prosecuted for most of the case.

Iirc isn't that kind of the point the case is making, that it's absurdly obvious the defendant didn't do it even in comparison to other cases and it shows how the entire system is in dire need of reform?

AJ's music really sets a different tone of the game from the original trilogy and I always liked it for those differences

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
AJ is, for better or worse, the closest the games will ever get to gritty noir

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I thought Dual Destinies ended up feeling pretty bland, I liked 6 a lot more.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

man nurse posted:

I thought Dual Destinies ended up feeling pretty bland, I liked 6 a lot more.

Same. Dual Destinies did nothing for me and I thought it was the worst in the franchise. Blackquill is cool though.

eating only apples posted:

I still haven't finished Spirit of Justice, I think I got halfway into the last case but every new revelation made me put the game down. I really didn't get on with that game and that made me so sad, i hope any hypothetical 7 is different

What did you find wrong with it? I thought it was a return to form especially with Apollo. That game is probably why I'm not eager for a 7. They've wrapped things up nicely and those characters seem done. I'd rather they continue doing spin offs like AAI or another Great Ace Attorney if they're up for it.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Case 2 of Spirit of Justice is probably my favorite case in the whole series. Personal stakes in the present, personal stakes in the backstory, and an absolutely despicable villain. It's so good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Case 2 of Spirit of Justice is probably my favorite case in the whole series. Personal stakes in the present, personal stakes in the backstory, and an absolutely despicable villain. It's so good.

Easily in the top finale cases in the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dual Destinies is a perfectly cromulent, consistently quality Ace Attorney, and Spirit of Justice is a bit weird structurally, but a real fun departure from the norm.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Commander Keene posted:

Klavier is basically the only prosecutor in the series who doesn't come off as incredibly sinister, though.

True, (haven't played 5 or 6 yet) but that's why I think he's less interesting. It feels way more satisfying to get one over on the Von Karmas or Godot because they're such relentless pricks to you at all times.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I enjoyed Duel Destinies quite a bit, but Turnabout Academy’s climax and villain reveal really stick with me because it was satisfying to tear down someone who carried long-term responsibility for how hosed the court system was. Most of it goes unsaid in the games, but when you consider how many of the characters were wrapped up in decades of corruption it reminds me of part of AA’s inspiration to begin with.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I liked Dual Destinies but I got very tired of hearing about the Dark Age of the Law.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I, Professor Aristotle Means, say the ends justify the means!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

somepartsareme posted:

I, Professor Aristotle Means, say the ends justify the means!

God did it feel so nice when I finally put him and his dreadful smile in jail.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So who's taken the trouble to play the fan translation of Great Ace Attorney? Was the translation good enough for me to bother figuring out a way to play it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yes. it's fantastic and only lacks name puns to distinguish it from official work.

the game, by the way, is also fantastic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm streaming it for friends so it's slow going but I'm a bit into case 3 and yeah it's great so far

I'm not in a hurry anyway, since I will probably want to play the sequel once I'm done.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Amppelix posted:

Oh crap I had completely forgotten this existed why did I even ask

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Argue posted:

So who's taken the trouble to play the fan translation of Great Ace Attorney? Was the translation good enough for me to bother figuring out a way to play it?

I played it last year and it was great. Really good translation and fun game overall.

Plus hacking my 3ds to play it was surprisingly easy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tie Tuesday streamed most of Great Ace Attorney earlier in the year, at least the first three cases. I loved it and wish I had the opportunity to play it myself. I immediately liked the protagonist and Maya-figure; there’s two more reoccurring characters that I initially thought I’d be annoyed by, but quickly grew to love them to the point if Capcom made a game or even DLC case with them I’d be thrilled.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you have an android phone that's less than four years old you should be able to play it just fine.

Mine is five years old so I had to play it with the volume down to avoid the audio stutter and that's no way to play an ace attorney game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably asked this before and forgotten but, is there an easy guide to getting and patching the Android version anywhere?
Like for someone who's literally never done anything with their phone/tablet other than download stuff from the play store.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I think this is the guide: https://scarletstudy.gq/irismobile/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Amppelix posted:

the only thing that softens the blow here is getting to watch klavier on fire repeatedly