Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Lupin_versus_Herlock_Sholmes

Huh, I would've thought Capcom made it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought Holmes was public domain now? There shouldn't be a need anymore for tacky legal dodges like "Sholmes".

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
yesssss

god it's been too long

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was actually thinking of using a fan patch or something down the line but this is fantastic news. I wonder if the soundtrack is as fire as the regular series?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raxivace posted:

I thought Holmes was public domain now? There shouldn't be a need anymore for tacky legal dodges like "Sholmes".

There are still some Holmes stories that are under copyright. The Doyle estate is very picky and will find any excuse to try and sue over them.

Notbaly they argue that if you're not writing Holmes as a dick than they have the copyright lol.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
:yeshaha:

I'm so excited to finally play these

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raxivace posted:

It is also a far superior name for an Ace Attorney character, even if plain ol’ Holmes was legally permissible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raxivace posted:

There's arcane copyright things involving Sherlock Holmes in the UK.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Raxivace posted:

i thought this was somewhat known by now, but the short answer is no

the character is but later stories are not. and apparently the doyle estate is getting extremely aggressive in holding on to the last shreds of their copyrights so it's better to be careful instead of doing something that they could start a pointless fight over

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Raxivace posted:

The Holmes estate has gone after people for portraying Holmes having emotions, because Holmes having emotions is only a thing in the later books that are still under copyright

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ulio posted:

I was actually thinking of using a fan patch or something down the line but this is fantastic news. I wonder if the soundtrack is as fire as the regular series?

Fear not, the soundtrack is transcendant

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In short, no one wants to poke the bear if they don't have to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Fear not, the soundtrack is transcendant

One of the few VNs where I get excited for the soundtrack.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ulio posted:

It has a pretty different style but I liked it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dang that's crazy, and raises a lot of questions about the law.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

2 years ago when I decided to play the fan translation I never would've imagined Capcom would actually end up beating them out to releasing the second game. But hell I'm glad all the same and I'll eagerly replay the first one with the new character names to refresh my memory before the second.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

we truly do live in a dark age of law

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Every now and then I see this thread get a bunch of posts and I get hopeful, only to have my hopes dashed.

And now there are a bunch of posts and there's a couple of new(ish) games! I'm so excited.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
While we're at it, what's the best way to play the main series these days? I see 1-3 have a collection on PC and PS4 - any idea if one platform is better than the other?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lamont posted:

While we're at it, what's the best way to play the main series these days? I see 1-3 have a collection on PC and PS4 - any idea if one platform is better than the other?

As far as I'm aware the collection is identical on all platforms but the Switch version has the touch screen which is nice. Some people argue that the redrawn characters in the HD version don't look as good as the original sprites but YMMV, and the alternative is to buy or :filez: the DS games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lamont posted:

I think the only truly bad version of the AA1-3 collections is the mobile port. That version has a whole slew of issues, so get the Phoenix Wright trilogy on literally anything else. Ironically enough though, I think the mobile versions of everything else that's been localized might be the best way to play those games, especially now that the 3DS is basically dead. The ports of 4 and AAI are pretty solid, and 5 and 6 run on Capcom's magic MT Framework engine so those could be ported to a toaster and run beautifully.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd rather play on xbox but I guess I'll settle for switch? Whatever I'm buying this

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Ace Attorney:

Raxivace posted:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't think of a better interim title for the new thread while we're waiting for GAA.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We did it :unsmith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd heard GAA deals with that subject matter, but still wild to hear the prosecutor introduced by going on about "the Nipponese breed".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

There's arcane copyright things involving Sherlock Holmes in the UK.
Sherlock Holmes is fully in the public domain in the UK. The issue is the US - copyright laws have repeatedly been extended due to Disney lobbying, so the last four stories (written between 1923 and 1927) remain under copyright there and probably will forever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm impressed that they haven't come up with some terrible localised version of Naruhodo this time around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sherlock Holmes is fully in the public domain in the UK. The issue is the US - copyright laws have repeatedly been extended due to Disney lobbying, so the last four stories (written between 1923 and 1927) remain under copyright there and probably will forever.

Disney stopped pushing and its doubtful biden will do anything about it if Trump let stuff go into public domain under his watch. As of January we're at 1925 in the US so Sherlock Holmes is running out of room.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's been ten thousand years but we can finally rest

Hell fuckin yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965625

Have a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lamont posted:

playing the trilogy on a ds or emulator. avoid the HD 'remasters' they look horrid