Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It happens. I hadnt played a DQ game before last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I beat Dragon Warrior on NES as a kid and it blew my mind when I found out there was an entire series that was hugely popular.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

I beat Dragon Warrior on NES as a kid and it blew my mind when I found out there was an entire series that was hugely popular.

beating dq1 this year i was really impressed, i can totally understand people in the 80s feeling excited pushing at the edges of the explorable world by getting stronger

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wanted to beat 4-6 over the summer before this came out but I failed miserably

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

beating dq1 this year i was really impressed, i can totally understand people in the 80s feeling excited pushing at the edges of the explorable world by getting stronger
It was a cool experience as a kid. Beating Final Fantasy 1 was like that but even more so.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Every day I open my 3DS and stare at the release date

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that over 30 years later even in parts of DQVIII they kept the idea that crossing a bridge means the enemies will be stronger in the next area

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I like that over 30 years later even in parts of DQVIII they kept the idea that crossing a bridge means the enemies will be stronger in the next area
DQ1 and FF1 both had powerful bridge moments.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finally completing the rainbow bridge and crossing to the last area in Dragon Warrior was amazing to me as a kid, it took me forever to get the parts. The Rainbow Drop and something else as I recall.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Every day I open my 3DS and stare at the release date

This

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Finally completing the rainbow bridge and crossing to the last area in Dragon Warrior was amazing to me as a kid, it took me forever to get the parts. The Rainbow Drop and something else as I recall.

I think it was a staff of rain or something.

I played through 1-6 on my phone this year (only played 1 and 4 as a kid), it was quite the trip. Don't think I could pick a favorite, they're all great.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is this one going to have actual characters or is it more create your own party style? i like both honestly I just want to know

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

is this one going to have actual characters or is it more create your own party style? i like both honestly I just want to know

I believe it has characters. I didn't play much of it at all but from reading about it its very similar to VI, with a bunch of characters to choose from they are mechanically identical that you customize with the job system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

forgot to post the final "Discover" video before this friday's launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfZUMmG0Js

theres a pokemon style monster collection system where you can tame monsters in battle, send them back to your haven and then assemble teams of them to explore dungeons + give you a new randomly generated dungeon to explore. this game sounds more and more massive every time they show one of these videos

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the absolute biggest JRPG I've ever played

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
One and one half days.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

i got it for free from nintendo power :cheers:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

hyeah dog

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious loyall X posted:

i got it for free from nintendo power :cheers:

Same here. I remember getting it for free from them as a kid

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
I can't think of a better promotion that's ever existed than free Dragon Warrior for subscribing to Nintendo Power.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fiber posted:

I can't think of a better promotion that's ever existed than free Dragon Warrior for subscribing to Nintendo Power.

https://www.lootcrate.com

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'll be home late Friday due to AIDS. I just want to game :negative:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i want this game in my fat gamer hands now :flame:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i will kick amazon's rear end if the prime shipping is thru the regular mail [mail lady doesn't come until like 4-5pm] instead of the rude ontrac indian man who just throws stuff at the door before driving off at 90 mph [usually shows up around noon]

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I will likely be asleep before the midnight release as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"Sugimura -Up until that point in the series you couldn’t converse with your party members, so when you selected the “Talk” command when facing a direction that no one in particular was standing in, it would just display, “There’s no one there.” I remember that we discussed changing that because it was kind of sad when that happened."

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...-of-limitations

Iwata Asks on DQVII 3DS

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Back then the term “tsundere” hadn’t yet been invented, however (laughs).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Zip zop

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The only dragon quest I've played is the copy I have for my 3DS. It's the one where you're some kind of fallen angel and there is a fairy girl with a train or something.

I forget how far I got in before I got bored and it's been on my shelf for a couple years. I guess I could get up and see what number or subtitle it has but ehhhh.

Did I miss much?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DancingShade posted:

The only dragon quest I've played is the copy I have for my 3DS. It's the one where you're some kind of fallen angel and there is a fairy girl with a train or something.

I forget how far I got in before I got bored and it's been on my shelf for a couple years. I guess I could get up and see what number or subtitle it has but ehhhh.

Did I miss much?
That's DQ9.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Did I miss much?

Go back to GBS. Your epic nonchalant attitude doesn't impress real gamers.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The non depressed troll who posts at 4am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010