Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The rank 5 adventures are hard and it can be worth skipping them until you have some awesome story cards (if you're playing with the expansion). Knowing what some of the bosses require for those expeditions can also really help your chances. Shangri'La is particularly dicks.

Emilia is pretty much the closest the game has to a dedicated healer. Tranquility is an area heal that can save your rear end, and she can boost it further as she levels - anyone with Excite or Confidence power and a good Speech score is an option, though. In general, though, your healing is mostly just to try to tide you over for a little while. I don't remember if the game mentions it but there is an aggro system of sorts - the AI generally attacks whoever dealt it the most damage last round, with some powers counting for more. I'm sure I've seen that fail sometimes, though, and you have to watch out because the AI will still use AOEs aggressively if you don't pull your injured person back enough.

If in trouble, try to switch speech pattern to a beneficial one. Devious - Aggressive gives a 25% dodge chance. Friendly - Devious and Aggressive - Friendly both give major Speech Defence buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ya, i managed to get the patterns down pat so i have the correct defenses up at the end of every match, i just feel like i get overwhelmed. the tutorial never explained the yellow squares and dense terrain, figured those out this run, maybe kiting and using those will help next time

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think there's an option to turn on the combat grid too? If it isn't on by default, definitely do that, it'll help you check how far you are away from people. Sometimes two spaces that don't look like they should touch actually do.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i couldnt find a grid option, sadly

am i right in thinking the 'correct' way to play this is adventure mode with 5 expeditions? how are people getting like, 12k renown in that short a time? i can get 5kish if everything goes right, and thats stacking basically every bonus i can

edit: is there a way i can control my campfire stories

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 22, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

i couldnt find a grid option, sadly

edit: is there a way i can control my campfire stories

Oh, I guess I was misremembering

You can't control which ones you draw first, but you can hold back ones you want to keep in your hand by toggling the switch underneath them.

Verviticus posted:

am i right in thinking the 'correct' way to play this is adventure mode with 5 expeditions? how are people getting like, 12k renown in that short a time? i can get 5kish if everything goes right, and thats stacking basically every bonus i can

So, for a start: 5k is a great score for a relatively new player, and the difference between 5k and say 9k is surprisingly small. Because of the way the game works, a strong start telescopes hugely and can mean a couple thousand difference by the endgame, sometimes based just on a single treasure.

Some stuff:
  • A little hunger is okay. Generally, you should completely farm out the first island. You'll take 3-5 hunger ticks depending on how many 0 paths you take and if you accidentally put yourself in a dead end, but that's still generally enough to deal with the boss. In return, you get a much stronger start on the first interlude phase.
  • Similarly, you should try to hit as many nodes on the following expeditions as possible. Avoid nodes with only a single icon if they don't match what you're going for, especially avoid empty nodes. You'll kinda get the hang of how many supply nodes are on a given map, and you'll get a sense for 'if I hop a couple more nodes I should get supplies'. Swinging around behind the boss node can help for route planning.
  • Your starting island and the treasures you get in it are some of the biggest and most important choices you get. Expedition I treasures always give you more tokens or add to a token's power, so getting the right one really helps. I regularly check https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522008957 when I'm playing to check what would be best for a party.
  • Don't think you have to spend everything on the world map. Generally, non-scientific parties are best off waiting until the end of expedition 2, when they can access the bottom trees, which are likely to be more useful to them. Insight should generally be kept for the last world map you get unless you're a party that isn't getting any Insight-improving techs whatsoever. Often, supplies techs are the most important, followed by 'Gain a Secret/Treasure Hunt/Discovery whenever X...' - plan how you're going to get these enabled asap.
  • Generally, get accessories before you get weapons/armor. Check what your next expedition needs for skills, make sure you've got them.
  • Generally, get special helpers. Certain levels have specific types of helper that it's worth learning about ahead of time. (For instance, the 2nd helper shop, level 3 will always be +X to a token, which is a very strong boost.)

Otherwise a lot of it is knowing exactly what campfire stories and nodes do and how to combine them. I feel like playing again so maybe I'll write out an effortpost of my decisions going through a game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hmm, i was spending all of my insight every turn (as anna) so i could get as many researches as possible as soon as possible. is that a reasonable strat for her because of how she telescopes or should i still be holding off until asia or whatever

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 23, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

hmm, i was spending all of my insight every turn (as anna) so i could get as many researches as possible as soon as possible. is that a reasonable strat for her because of how she telescopes or should i still be holding off until asia or whatever

It's better for her than for most people, but iirc the last time I did a run with her I got every single 'get more study tokens when spending insight' - so the combination of more tokens per insight + more resources per token really helped out late-game. Probably best to spend one or two insight if it'll get you another tech right now (esp if it would be handy)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Stelas posted:

It's better for her than for most people, but iirc the last time I did a run with her I got every single 'get more study tokens when spending insight'

holy poo poo i struggled to fill three, and i cleared most of every exploration with like 9 debuffs

except transylvania. why the gently caress does moving there take two loving supplies each!!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

holy poo poo i struggled to fill three, and i cleared most of every exploration with like 9 debuffs

except transylvania. why the gently caress does moving there take two loving supplies each!!

Later maps really challenge you to take a good path. Skip nodes if they look lovely or if moving to them will be too expensive.

If you haven't already look up the Halloween treasures and how to unlock them - some of them are quite powerful and can give you a good early boost. Anna loves the Skull of Cernussos for instance and it's really easy to guarantee getting it first expedition.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is that related to the gargoyle puzzle? I was kinda hoping to solve that naturally but if it's a big difference I might just lookup how to do it

is it possible to build a strong enough encounter team that you can overcome virtually all food penalties?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

is it possible to build a strong enough encounter team that you can overcome virtually all food penalties?

Depends which penalties, because they're not all equal. If you get a lot of Grit penalties you can pretty much ignore them. Attack and Speech Attack are percentage decreases so won't hurt as much as Defence decreases, which are static values so can really gently caress you up. 5 is the point where I start getting nervous, something around there.

And yeah the Gargoyle puzzle is the first step. I honestly have no idea how you solve it 'normally'.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh, it looks like everyone can get one of the five letters for the puzzle and you were supposed to put it together online or whatever. thats kinda neat

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Hey I'm glad to see people continuing to play this. You can get it for cheap during the Steam sales and it's still one of my favorites. Have any of you folks visited the game's steam form recently? One of the community members came up with this massively elaborate holiday puzzle challenge spread over a dozen threads. I haven't been playing recently but I love how dedicated the community is.

Stelas posted:

And yeah the Gargoyle puzzle is the first step. I honestly have no idea how you solve it 'normally'.

On a rare occasion I run into an event that reveals a letter. These events are pretty uncommon and are spread out all over the place. They make no sense without the proper context so it seems like new players will just be confused by them. Right now, these treasures aren't very accessible to new players so I would hope that they update this in the future. Maybe I should add the info to the op sometime.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing this for a bit now, but only recently clicked. Thanks to advice from Stelas and some of the stuff in the thread I've gone from getting clobbered by King Kong to getting clobbered by Shangri-La. Progress!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fuuuuck Shangri-La. A science-focused team pretty much always wants to go to Lost Island. (If you have the expansion, at least.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stelas posted:

Fuuuuck Shangri-La. A science-focused team pretty much always wants to go to Lost Island. (If you have the expansion, at least.)

Always, ALWAYS leave the Island when you get the chance. Do not be me, do not lose a great run to poor combat skills.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Always, ALWAYS leave the Island when you get the chance. Do not be me, do not lose a great run to poor combat skills.

Lost Island's bosses are a lot more doable than Shangri-La's bosses, I tend to find. You do have to have a bit of foreknowledge - getting the right one can mean making or breaking your run, because they're all tailored to different stances - but there's no way that Darwin is as hard as Rivelaux's squad.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
The Emperor's Challenge expansion

I have eagerly anticipated any news for the next expansion and they finally made an announcement! I think I could probably get into the beta but I'm content to wait and play a finished release. Anyway, they'll be doing a twitch stream on Thursday (April 6 19:00 CEST / 10:00 PT) where they'll hopefully release some more information https://www.twitch.tv/abbeygames

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well I'm pretty much just talking to myself at this point but I figured I'd link the store page for the new expansion with all kinds of details and a trailer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/609970/Renowned_Explorers_The_Emperors_Challenge/

May 10th, Get Hype!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I am hype. Probably most hype for the new characters, since they're my favorite part of the game now. They're simple but stylish and expressive, and a lot of their personal quests are really good.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm super hype for the expansion. I pretty much beat everything (minus a few acheevos) so I'm looking forward to more :D. I'm really glad there's another 4 star exploration coming, too. 4 stars could be a slog, especially if you didn't really have a great perk loadout for either of them.

Interested to see how the challenge mode works.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 27, 2017

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Emperor's Challenge is out and it's pretty sweet! It's pretty much more of the same which is cool and good. They also included some much needed updates to Transylvania and the Hungarian Fort. Unfortunately, it's been too long since I've played so I'm back to being a hopeless scrub who dies on the second expedition.

It also only costs $6 if you buy the bundle. :getin:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I started playing this game a few days ago and I love it. Shangri-La is horrible but The Lost Island was easy and fighting Darwin was hilarious.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Will the Emperor's Challenge DLC mess up any saves from before?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mechanical Ape posted:

Will the Emperor's Challenge DLC mess up any saves from before?

I just tested this out and it didn't work from my last save from September. It wouldn't let me load it so I uninstalled the DLC. Next time I tried loading the game crashed. I didn't spend any more time trying to fix it. I don't think it's really a big deal to restart though since you can easily play through the game dozens of times.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

RVWinkle posted:

I just tested this out and it didn't work from my last save from September. It wouldn't let me load it so I uninstalled the DLC. Next time I tried loading the game crashed. I didn't spend any more time trying to fix it. I don't think it's really a big deal to restart though since you can easily play through the game dozens of times.

That's generally true, but I'm in the midst of making an LP and it'll probably be a while before I reach the end, so losing my saves would be really inconvenient. Thank you for testing for me!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ive been clowning on the emperor's challenges with dolores/hildegaard/phillipe or anna/x/y so far, but i havent really found the right makeup if i want to supercharge a status token. thankfully that challenge hasnt come up yet, but if it does, whats a good way to approach that?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

ive been clowning on the emperor's challenges with dolores/hildegaard/phillipe or anna/x/y so far, but i havent really found the right makeup if i want to supercharge a status token. thankfully that challenge hasnt come up yet, but if it does, whats a good way to approach that?

Charles is basically 'Anna but with status'.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

why does the T-Rex on the Lost Island have 9 million HP. Why does it have a tail whip attack that kills everyone immediately. what am i supposed to do about this

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

why does the T-Rex on the Lost Island have 9 million HP. Why does it have a tail whip attack that kills everyone immediately. what am i supposed to do about this

Lost Island definitely has some balance problems with their bosses. The way I see it, Shangri-La requires you to have a lot of knowledge of what rolls you'll face where, whereas Lost Island requires you to know what boss battle requires what. For the T-Rex fight, having a high Athlete (5-6) will let you drop a big debuff and chunk of damage on it. Otherwise, you absolutely have to spread your guys out or else know when to pull back to a spirit recovery point / chokepoint.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This game is really cute and charming, but quite difficult.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Stelas posted:

Lost Island definitely has some balance problems with their bosses. The way I see it, Shangri-La requires you to have a lot of knowledge of what rolls you'll face where, whereas Lost Island requires you to know what boss battle requires what. For the T-Rex fight, having a high Athlete (5-6) will let you drop a big debuff and chunk of damage on it. Otherwise, you absolutely have to spread your guys out or else know when to pull back to a spirit recovery point / chokepoint.

Having not played for a year I came back to check out all the changes and my first visit to Lost Island ended with this boss fight. I thought it was weird that I passed all of the 'chase' rolls and the T-Rex was still a huge loving monster but I didn't have an athlete. I still managed to brute force it with 8-9 resolve (I ate the tail whip every time and finished on one resolve).

I really like the Emperor's Challenge game mode and my first impression of the camp stories is that some of them are super OP, but in a way that's good for the game. My best run was getting Phailin's on the starter island and having enough status after the second expedition to buy the new double secret specialist (after finishing Psychology), at which point I used her to cash in a ridiculous amount of tokens.

The best part of this game is finding broken combinations of skills and bonuses to get the snowball rolling as early as possible, and even though there's a huge amount of extra RNG now with all the new content your decisions about who to bring and where to go still feel very meaningful. It's a great game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stelas posted:

yeah I think I'm going to reload and try another one. I have Victor and used his story to be able to access every expedition early so I went here 4th, which is great for score but maybe a little horrible for hitting brick walls. I remember the cult leader wasn't too bad, what's the other one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Raptor Queen, but I don't honestly remember anything about her. If I'm on the Lost Island I'm usually a science party, in which case I might as well go for the Anti-Explorer Leader because I've usually got a solid Devious party.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Stelas posted:

Charles is basically 'Anna but with status'.

yeah, but i have such a hard time making a status/devious team. building a team with anna is a lot easier

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stelas posted:

The Raptor Queen, but I don't honestly remember anything about her. If I'm on the Lost Island I'm usually a science party, in which case I might as well go for the Anti-Explorer Leader because I've usually got a solid Devious party.

yeaaah I tried the Raptor Queen and that's not happening either. Went for the Leader, he's so much easier than the other two, his helpers are weak and he just can't do much damage if you control his moods

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Verviticus posted:

yeah, but i have such a hard time making a status/devious team. building a team with anna is a lot easier

I find Devious/Status to be one of the easiest teams to make, myself - certainly the easiest flavour of Status team.

Maria's the easiest to go with imo. Beguiler / Archaeologist, access to Sadden and Impressed, the awesome Campfire Story 'Secret Report' which supercharges Secret tokens.
Bia is a Tactician / Quick Thinker with Horrify and an insane personal Campfire Story that can generate a ton of Secrets.
Pick any Engineer you like. Possibly Anna because Strike of Fear is just that loving good?

Put Diplomat on Maria asap and you've covered every single must-have skill you need to go Hungary -> Highlands -> Transylvania. Aim for Secret Report and Bia's cards asap.

Suh-Min looks like she's a natural for this too, but I haven't unlocked her captain perk yet. Most of the new guys seem to be status-focused, actually.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm gonna try shangri la. Who should I take

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm gonna try shangri la. Who should I take

Just make sure you have a mix of different attacks, basically

Shangri-La's challenges use a big mix of different stuff but as long as you go hard down one token type you'll probably naturally have decent levels to get the keys. There's only one boss but the mobs in it have a bunch of different resistances. Especially don't take Horrify if you can help it, two of them are outright immune. Devious in general is maybe a little worse than Friendly or Aggressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I did it. Im renowned as hell

• Locked thread