Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Bucs if the offense and defense play like last year and we blunder to .500 or less. They seem to really like Roman.

Greg Roman was a goddamn revelation last year. Only took Rex three or four tries, but he finally found an OC worth a poo poo.

Although, one thing you have to credit Rex for is Tyrod; he brought him in and made the decision to start him. Roman was reportedly leaning towards loving Cassel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chris James 2 posted:

Hoping this will be the second year in a row people are surprised Chip Kelly's fired

They shouldn't be, because it presupposes that Jed York learned from that whole Harbaugh thing, or indeed is capable of learning at all.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If Mularkey doesn't at least stumble his way to 6-7 wins and show improvement and future optimism with the team then I can see Jim Rob stepping in and pulling the plug and installing his own coach. I don't think he wanted him to begin with, but was forced by the owners.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dan Quinn, come on down.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mike

Mularkey

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

Mike

McCoy

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Fire Mike McCoy from a cannon into the Great Wall of China point blank

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mike

Mizanin

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Fire Mike McCoy from a cannon into the Great Wall of China point blank

This, except Pagano

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Reminder that tail-end Philly Andy Reid hired his OL coach as DC. And the Dream Team

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DOOP posted:

Reminder that tail-end Philly Andy Reid hired his OL coach as DC. And the Dream Team

Trigger warning that poo poo please. I like to pretend the 2011 and 2012 seasons didn't happen.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Is it too early for me to begin my yearly call for McCoy to be fired?

No, it is not.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ross Angeles posted:

This, except Mularkey and the Titans ownership.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Ross Angeles posted:

This, except Chuck Pagano

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Cavauro posted:

Mike

Mizanin
i came 2 play

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I think I was too kind to Jeff Fisher in the OP.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Benne posted:

Yeah, I think I was too kind to Jeff Fisher in the OP.

8 more losses and he'll break the all-time losing record.

i think he'll do it before december.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think he'll be fired before November.

Get used to this: Gregg Williams, Interim Head Coach.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jeff Fisher is eternal

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jeff Fisher is a walking advertisement for the Rooney rule.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Jeff Fisher is the coaching equivalent of Blaine Gabbert, QB.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Can we change Del Rio's status to ice cold? tia

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Jeff Fisher is the coaching equivalent of Blaine Gabbert, QB.

He's more like Matt Cassel. Always employed despite all logic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Can we change Del Rio's status to ice cold? tia

we're not talking about his blood.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chris James 2 posted:

He's more like Matt Cassel. Always employed despite all logic

Sam "1st and a 4th, just now, that really happened!" Bradford. No player has been more overvalued for never being anything but league average or worse than Bradford.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It really is too bad for the Colts that they couldn't have let Pagano go and kept Arians without being assholes

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sean10mm posted:

Sam "1st and a 4th, just now, that really happened!" Bradford. No player has been more overvalued for never being anything but league average or worse than Bradford.

He's probably garbage, but he's never actually had a fair shake for a developing QB either. Jeff Fisher and Chip Kelly? :barf: I hope he at least sits with Norv and the Vikings for a year or two. They might actually be the ones to get something positive out of him.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
For real, Bradford has had a new offensive coordinator EVERY year he's been in the NFL. This year he's had two!

He's not great on game day, but at this point he's probably some kind of football savant to be able to learn that many playbooks.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nodoze posted:

It really is too bad for the Colts that they couldn't have let Pagano go and kept Arians without being assholes

Yeah, that was the common secret wish at the time.

As far as Pagano this year, I am of course frustrated by the same old mistakes. I can only hope with his big new contract Luck is finally comfortable enough to just tell Chuck "We're throwing the ball down field on first down."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

Is it too early for me to begin my yearly call for McCoy to be fired?

No, it is not.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

NC-17 posted:

For real, Bradford has had a new offensive coordinator EVERY year he's been in the NFL. This year he's had two!

He's not great on game day, but at this point he's probably some kind of football savant to be able to learn that many playbooks.

Bradford's OC from last year is on the Vikings staff which might help.

Maybe.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Chichevache posted:

He's probably garbage, but he's never actually had a fair shake for a developing QB either. Jeff Fisher and Chip Kelly? :barf: I hope he at least sits with Norv and the Vikings for a year or two. They might actually be the ones to get something positive out of him.

There's few things worse than swapping out offensive coordinators year in and year out when a team is trying to groom a young QB - because that means they have to basically hit the reset button and unlearn everything to learn the new OC's scheme/philosophy. I'm not saying Bradford is some special QB, just that he was basically Alex Smith'd and that's why people have what he is nowadays.

Oh, because this is the coaching thread: gently caress Mike McCoy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: WEEK 2 RANKINGS

ZERO DANGER

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Todd Bowles, New York Jets
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos
Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Jay Gruden, Washington
Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
John Fox, Chicago Bears
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals

I'm tempted to bump Gruden and Garrett down to "mild," but the NFC East looks like it'll be a clusterfuck once again so who knows what will happen. Pretend there's an "unknown" category to put them in. Marvin Lewis gets a reprieve for now. The Bears look bad but I doubt Fox gets the boot after just two years, unless there's like a 2-14 meltdown or something.

FIRST-YEAR GRACE PERIOD

Adam Gase, Miami Dolphins
Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns
Ben McAdoo, New York Giants
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chip Kelly, San Francisco 49ers

MILD

Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts -- Once again, the defense is paper-thin and without several key starters, the Colts let the Lions steal one on the road. This is shaping up as yet another year where Andrew Luck will have to win games by himself.

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- Quinn is supposed to be a defensive-minded coach, but the defense looks as lost as ever in his second year. This still looks like an average-ish, 6-8 win team, but letting a home game slip away against a divisional foe is not a promising start to the season.

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions -- Are we sure Caldwell isn't actually dead, and being propped up Weekend At Bernie's style while Jim Bob Cooter runs the team? Either way, yay you beat the Colts. Have a cookie.

MODERATE

Mike Mularkey, Tennessee Titans -- "Exotic Smashmouth" produced 64 yards on 22 carries. They lost by 9 points to a team that didn't score an offensive touchdown. Harry Douglas got more snaps than Rishard Matthews. Derrick Henry was barely used. Good poo poo, Mularkey.

Gus Bradley, Jacksonville Jaguars -- Under most circumstances, a close loss to the Packers is nothing to be ashamed of. But as I said last week, Bradley is running out of excuses and it's time to turn those close losses and "moral victories" into actual victories. The Jags still look like they'll be good this year, but the clock is ticking. They'll have no margin for error when they go up against divisional opponents.

Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers -- Talk about setting the wrong tone for the season. The Chargers led the Chiefs 24-3 and everything looked good, only for it to come unraveling. The offense ran out ideas when Keenan Allen went down, the defense let KC slowly chip away the lead and they lost in overtime. Now they have to pick up the pieces without their best receiver (again). Joey Bosa can't make his debut fast enough.

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints -- Drew Brees was great, but the defense gave away the game at the last minute. Same old story it's been for the past 2-3 years.

SPICY HOT

Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills -- What an uninspired game this team had. Another loss where it felt like Rex and his boys were plain outcoached. The Ravens specifically game-planned to take away Tyrod Taylor's running threat, and Buffalo's offense had no answers. With Sammy Watkins' foot acting up again, things could get worse before they get better in Western NY.

Jeff Fisher, Los Angeles Rams -- Congratulations Jeff, the entire city of L.A. already hates you. The contract extension was baffling enough, and now it looks like an albatross after Monday night's embarrassing effort. All of Fisher's bad habits -- outdated offensive philosophies, undisciplined players, a complete lack of interest in decent quarterback play -- came to a head on national television. I don't know if Fisher actually gets fired midseason, but the Rams have to make a change at some point if they have any hope of salvaging their colossal investment in Jared Goff. He's being set up to fail with this coaching staff.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vegas firing odds are already up. From Bovada:

quote:

Which NFL Head Coach will be fired first

Jeff Fisher 2/1

Mike McCoy 5/1

Rex Ryan 7/1

Dan Quinn 9/1

Gus Bradley 10/1

Jason Garrett 12/1

Chuck Pagano 12/1

Mike Mularkey 12/1

Jay Gruden 14/1

Jim Caldwell 16/1

Sean Payton 20/1

Adam Gase 20/1

Hue Jackson 25/1

Bill O'Brien 33/1

John Fox 33/1

Chip Kelly 50/1

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

Chip Kelly 50/1

Not so wild a ride now, is it? :smuggo:

*lights the Axeil batsignal*

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 14, 2016

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the bills' owner told rex to let it rip and he got his lap band removed

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That Mike McCoy and Jeff Fisher still have jobs is baffling, but maybe there's a secret rule that you have to follow the plot of Major League whenever you want to move your team.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Betting on Chip is pretty tempting if you have the notion that his time as head coach in SF will mirror Tomsula's

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd take that Chip bet in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Baalke is clearly the guy on the chopping block for the 49ers this year. Only way Chip will be fired is if a new GM wants his own guy installed, which wouldn't happen till later in the offseason.

• Locked thread