Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

BREAKFAST CULT: NOTHING IS EVER SIMPLE

Saturdays on Occultar Island are free days for the students to do whatever -- often study or work on pet projects, but there's a wood to wander in, a mountain to climb, beaches to lie on, and Ashton Junction with its variety of medium-town wonders.

Except at about 8 this morning the message went out across the screens and loudspeakers. The following students are expected to report to detention immediately:

No explanation as to why, but behind the carefully neutral language of the school's official communications you can all hear the icy tones of the Headmaster that will brook no disobedience.

Detention Classroom

Aspects: Everyone Gets A Desk; Post It, Ward It; The Headmaster Is Watching; A Great View of What You Could Be Doing

At least he picked a good room -- a classroom on the third floor of the library building, sun streaming in through the windows, A/C humming quietly in the background. The Headmaster himself waits patiently behind the teacher's desk, standing like he's carved from stone.

Aspects: The Headmaster Of Occultar Academy; Keeper Of Occult Secrets; ??; ??; ??

Only once everyone is present does he move, to close the door. Without speaking, he takes up a chalk and writes one word on the blackboard:

DETENTION

Then he turns to you all. A fractional 'V' to his eyebrows turns his normal impassive mask of a face into an aggravated mask of a face.

"I'll make this brief. Last night someone trespassed into the Forbidden Sections and... stole something. I don't know exactly who did it yet, but I am certain it was one of the ten of you. Since there is a certain urgency to this matter I'm afraid I can't spare the time to go through the full formalities so you will be confined here for the duration of the day, or until I discern the true culprit, or until one of you confesses."

He looks around, hoping one of you will own up. No one does.

"Well. So it goes. You shall remain here for the next--” he glances at the wall clock “--eight hours and fifty-four minutes. I apologise to those of you who are innocent; we shall deal with that later. For now... stay put and make no trouble. I'll return at noon with food."

He withdraws a marker and a pack of Post-Its from his jacket pocket, then scrawls something on the top note. Still managing to seem immobile even as he sweeps out of the room, he closes the door behind him. A slap sounds as he sticks the note to the outside of the door and you feel the faint whub of sorcery taking hold. That's one of his tricks. Wards -- big wards, the kind you’d seal Godzilla behind -- on post-it notes. You have no idea how he does it.

But now it’s just the ten of you. You don’t know who did it, what it was they did, or why the Headmaster has rounded up the rest of you, but you might as well start looking for answers. Not like you’ve got anything else to do.

Please post your character sheets for quick reference later. Rolls can be done in #persona using the !roll function if you have witnesses OR by rolling Fudge dice in Orokos if you don't want to IRC it up. I don’t IRC and I won’t be checking up on you, though, so you’re pretty much on trust.

It's up to you how to proceed -- you've been thrown in the deep end with little starting information on purpose. Feel free to split up.

OOC Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sharon Placeholder

Sharon looks awfully pleased to be in detention on a pleasant Saturday morning. She's there promptly, bright-eyed, sprightly and smiling. But then she smiles a lot for a surly teenager.

There she is, uniform neatly pressed, hair combed, teeth brushed, not hungover. It's disgusting.

"So," she says as soon as the Headmaster's gone. A conspiratorial note creeps into her voice. "What's new with you guys?"

pre:
Concept: Perfectly Normal High Schooler and Not a Celebrity
Talent: International Pop Sensation
Student: Suspiciously Normal
Drive: Learn More About the Target Demographic Students
Free: Bald-faced Liar

Approaches

Careful	+0
Clever	+2
Flashy	+3
Forceful +1
Quick	+2
Sneaky	+1

Stunts

Implanted Concert Rig: You can give a concert performance with appropriate instrumentation, sound and 
lighting without any external infrastructure.

Oblivious: Gain an extra mild consequence slot for mental trauma.

Surprisingly Knowledgeable: Once per scene, if you need to know about a subject, you can declare 
you're a grown-rear end adult you're well-acquainted with the subject and reveal an advantage with no free invokes.

Hope O O O

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Science Log, Date: Saturday. I have been incarcerated for a crime I haven't committed, which is going to eat up my whole day! This sucks! The science fair is next week and my eldritch reactor isn't nearly done yet! Also the Doc's gonna kill me...

Jeez, Sharon smiles too much. And what the heck kinda name is Placeholder? Dutch?

"Er...Nothing really. Science and all that."

quote:

Concept: Scientist With An Eldritch Hand
Talent: My Arm Is A Portal To Hell
Student: Dr. North's Trusty Assistant
Drive: Scientific Progress Goes B͓ͅǫ̳̫͎͉͔̥i̻̻͖̤n̫͇͖̣k̩̹̮ͅ
Free: Junk Food is Brain Food

Approaches:
Careful +2
Clever +2
Flashy +1
Forceful +3
Quick +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts:

Ann K The Science Babe: Once per scene, Anna can declare an aspect pertaining to any para/scientific principle, phenomenon, or natural law.
Gotta Hit The Books: If Anna has to do research to declare an aspect or an advantage, she gains +2 to it.
Hell Science Is Whack!: Once per scene, Anna can use Forceful and her Elder Godhand to defy the laws of physics.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Rin Tanaka

Oh dear here we go again.

Rin was listening listlessly to the accusations of occult tome theft right up until '-eight hours and fifty-four minutes'. "Aww what all day?"

But it was too late, the principle had already left and so Rin was stuck in magic detention, in magic school for unknown magic crimes. And it wasn't even as if he had even left his room last night, he had witnesses and everything.

A voice cuts through the self-pity, it's Sharon. "Well right now I'm stuck in detention because someone is playing magical silly buggers and I got caught up in it. Again."

He* leaned back on his seat, these chairs really weren't that much comfortable to sit in for 30 minutes let alone a whole 8 hours and 45 minutes. "Remember that time someone tried growing a man eating space plant in the greenhouse? That was mess I got caught up in too. And that time someone mutated the class pet into a hulking beast and it fled into the forest. And that time everyone got horribly ill from eating bad seafood." He thought about the last one, it wasn't exactly dangerously occult but it was pretty gross all the same. "Although I had the chicken that time so it wasn't my problem."

*Can't quite determine a gender here hoss, and the backstory is written in gender neutral pronouns. I'm leaning towards Girl right now but could be a boy.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 6, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Isaac Carver

A sharp laugh erupts from the desk behind Rin. Isaac is sitting there, arms crossed, elbows resting relaxedly on his desk, face distorted in a big grin.
"Oh man, I remember the class pet one! It was a chinchilla before the transformation, right? It was hard to tell after that, between the giant crab claw and the bloodshot eye that projected one's worst fear." He trails off, still snickering at the memory of even the most stuck up teachers screaming and hollering as the tried to confine the mutated abomination to the corridor just outside the class it escaped from.

He refocuses quickly on the present. "Wait, you said that you got caught up in all of these?" He produces a thumbs up. "Nice, man! I was so bummed out that I missed the man-eating plant. Did it really eat the coach?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka

"Eeeeyup, and the entire cheerleader squad. But in fairness, they were rescued before they got digested. The only thing that dissolved were their clothes, and also their pride after that. And who can blame them really?"

He turns in his seat to the girl on his right, "How about you Alice? I didn't expect to see you here too."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Ergh, don't remind me of the class pet. How was I supposed to know that my cosmic magnets would have that effect on its DNA?! No more animal testing for me without Dr. North."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

TheNabster posted:

*Can't quite determine a gender here hoss, and the backstory is written in gender neutral pronouns. I'm leaning towards Girl right now but could be a boy.

I think Rin is very carefully presented as entirely gender-neutral. If you're leaning towards girl then go ahead and play her that way -- she's your character now!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa Mai Kurita-Steiner

Teresa is clearly not pleased. Even more so that usual, in fact. She managed to avoid snapping before now more due to shock than anything else, but that's passed.

"Who does he think he is?!" She stands up, clearly furious. "He can't keep us locked in here like some petty lowlifes because he has unfounded suspicions! I won't sit still for it, and neither should the rest of you!" She stalks over to the door and tries it, then bangs on it with her fist when she finds it locked. Then she turns and walks back across the room to the window to try that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

"I don't have any rhymes, I don't have my rhymebook-", Alice mumbles in front of the mic, as the crowd grows more furious, threaten. "I'm sorry, I don't have any ill beats, I'm sorry-", she says as things are thrown at her, but don't seem to impact as the crowd starts chortling more monstrously. "I have a tiny guitar-", she tries, but she quickly realizes she doesn't know how to play the tiny guitar, and so she tries to shield herself with it, but it's too tiny for that-

Having managed to be face-down for a good little while so far, Alice suddenly bolts upright. "No, don't hurt the... guitar...", she mumbles with wide eyes, and turns to Rin almost mechanically. There seems to be a moment as she processes the light, rubbing her eyes, and then answers. "I was told to come here? But I was early, so to just took a nap, and... stolen?" All the words passing by her sleeping ears seem to have been caught in a bit of a pile-up in her brain. "Is this about the pen? I didn't mean to take it, we just just passing around the attendance sheet, and I forgot to pass it along... um..." Her eyes follow Teresa for a moment as the taller girl paces. ".. I think I lost it, though."

Turning back to Rin, she concludes, "Wait, he said something about... the Forbidden Section? I sleepwalked there once, that's how I got here last time, but.. um... I can't sleepsteal."

pre:
Alice McCay-Carter

Student ID:	APT-01-1110
Home:		Halifax, Canada
Blood Type:	B+
Dislikes:	Nightmares, snow, the smell of a fresh marker

Aspects

Concept:	Queen of Respite
Talent:		Somniopathic Showoff
Student:	Life of the Party
Drive:		"Believe in Your Dreams!"
Free:		Weapons-Grade Philosophical Insight

Approaches

Careful: D (+0)		Flashy: B (+2)		Quick: C (+1)
Clever: A (+3)		Forceful: B (+2)	Sneaky: C (+1)

Stunts

Comfort Cub: By offering a stuffed animal to another character,
Alice can spend a fate point to clear a mild consequence of
theirs -  if they accept it.

Radical Dreamer: At the start of a session, Alice can describe
a dream she had. Once per session, whenever she thinks a given
scene relates to that dream, she can create an aspect related
to that dream with one free invoke for everybody present.

Sleepwalking Strength: Take +2 to Forcefully overcome an
obstacle by accident.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon gives the mumbly girl an appraising look.

"You a music lover?"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
When Teresa bangs on the door it's like banging on concrete -- it's completely immobile. You'd be better off trying to knock the wall down around it.

Or opening the windows, as it turns out, which slide upwards easily when she tugs on them, letting in a welcome breeze. Outside there's a drop of about thirty feet to the ground, although the faux-classical facade of the library offers some good hand-holds for climbing. If that's your sort of thing.

Gai Iwata

Aspects: Wannabe Ace; Rock and Roll!; Only Cares About His Hair

"Y-yeah!" Gai leaps to his feet. He pauses to flick a comb out of his pocket and touch up the edges of his cool pompadour. "gently caress the Headmaster!"

He follows Teresa to the window and looks out. "Uh... anybody got a rope?"

Addison Waite

Aspects: Telepathic Star Athlete; Basketball Team Captain; Brash and Hot-Headed

"And why are you two in such a hurry to leave?" Addison snaps. "Something to hide?"

"B-but... he's the Man," Gai protests, waving vaguely in the direction of wherever the Headmaster went.

Chet 'The Toaster' Wilson

Aspects: Self-Described Star Footballsman; Arm Like A Cannon; Poster Boy

"I think you'll find that I'm the man," quips Chet with a suitably cheesy grin. Then his face falls. "Aw, but I don't want to be stuck in here -- we've got a big game against Miskatonic this afternoon and they're going to need me."

"Well if we get a confession," Addison says, still giving Teresa and Gai the hairy eyeball, "we could be out of here right now."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I'll go with making Rin a boy for the sake of party gender balance. 3 girls and 2 boys.

Rin Tanaka

Right, that's everyone else seen too and that leaves...

His eyes traveled around the room until he found the one person who had yet to speak up.

"Hey Feixue what's the haps?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Love?", Alice echoes to Sharon. "I don't know if I can commit to that, I mean, I like music, sure, but that's just... you know..." , she adds, poking her fingers together.

She looks to the others, shifting subjects. "Well, we could have everybody empty their packs and pockets, and if there's anything stolen in them, that solves that, right?" A pause. "Unless they stole it from someplace else, I guess." Folding her arms, she seems to be giving that a good hard think.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac Carver

potatocubed posted:

"Well if we get a confession," Addison says, still giving Teresa and Gai the hairy eyeball, "we could be out of here right now."
"Ah, but that is the crux of the matter, isn't it, my jock of a friend." The young inventor leans back in his chair, shrugging his shoulders as if to say 'what can you do?'.
"We don't know who the culprit is, and neither does the Headmaster, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Let's be real, it's not like we can expect the scoundrel to confess out of the goodness of their heart, because that'd mean facing..."

Suddenly he jumps up his desk and puts his cellphone right under his face; the lights in the room seem to diminish suddenly as his face is illuminated by the greenish glow of the occultech device.
"...the WRATH of the HEADMASTER!"
Stock lighting sounds comes out of the device as the lights slowly turn to normal. Isaac steps down.
"Anyway, since no one is going to fess up anyway, I suggest we avoid going at each other's throat all the while. He can't keep us in here forever... probably. Let's just tough it out until this blows over and he lets us go."

quote:

Flashily Create an Advantage: 4dF+2 3
That's a success, which lets me create the aspect No Crabs in This Bucket, and I get a free invocation of it.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 13, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa gives Gai a withering look. "Why are you standing near me." She brushes by him as she goes to the front of the room, putting her hands on her hips as she addresses the group.

"Isaac may be annoying but he's right. No one is going to confess - I'm certainly not, since I didn't do it," Teresa gives Addison a hard look, "And knowing the Headmaster, if he can't figure it out he'll just punish all of us to be safe. It's what he's doing now, after all! So the only way for us to get out of this is to find out what's really happening for ourselves."

She turns around and writes everyone's names on the whiteboard. Under her name she writes: Dorm room.

"We can start with everyone saying where they were last night. And yes I'm fully aware that I can't prove I was in my dorm right now but if someone says one thing and we find proof otherwise then that will be useful to know."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

TheNabster posted:

"Hey Feixue what's the haps?"

Feixue Guo

Normal Girl, Weird Life; Idol Singer

Feixue looks up from tapping on her phone and gives a small smile and a shrug.

"Stuck in detention on a nice Saturday." She sighs. "I mean there's plenty I can do in here... I'd just rather be doing it out there, you know?"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Alice looks to the others, shifting subjects. "Well, we could have everybody empty their packs and pockets, and if there's anything stolen in them, that solves that, right?" A pause. "Unless they stole it from someplace else, I guess."

Chet surreptitiously hooks his school bag with his foot and pulls it under his chair. But it's Chet, so he's not really very subtle about it.

"I don't want to face the wrath of the Headmaster," he mutters, frowning. "But I do want to play in the game." He nods enthusiastically at Teresa's suggestion. "Yeah -- if we find the thief ourselves we can get out of here and I can footballs this afternoon!"

"Yesterday..." he concentrates. "I went to practice straight after class. Then had a late dinner in the cafeteria, then I went for a run around campus, then a shower, then bed." He nods. "Yeah. Who's next?"

"I was trying out some new material in the auditorium until past midnight," Feixue says. "Madoka was there, if you want to check up on me."

"Homework. Workout. Shower. Bed." Addison lists off her evening on her fingers.

"I was out riding my motorbike round the island," Gai says, leaning on the windowsill. "It was pretty sweet. Shoulda been there."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alice politely claps at Isaac's lightshow, but dampens down when the others start going back and forth. "Hey, we could at least have a party with some music, or..." Alice stretches. "... or I could just go back to sleep, whatever, I didn't do nothin'." Well, that's a non-explanation. Resting her head on her arms, she squints at Chet for a moment. "Hey, why've you got your bag on a Saturday?"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 29, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon raises an eyebrow at Isaac's little light show, but otherwise keeps her opinions to herself.

"Okay," she says. "If that's the way we're going to play it. I was in my room last night, doing research. Nobody can back me up on it."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac
"Hm. Let's see."
The young man balances himself on two legs of the chair. "I was at the library, doing some reading for a lil' occultech project I've been putting together in my spare time. But oh, woe is me! I too have no witnesses to back me up! You have to believe me, inspector Kurita-Steiner, I'm innocent!"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 13, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka

"Gosh that's a coincidence, I too was in my dorm when the theft happened. But!" He said raising a finger before anyone else could say anything. "And it's a very big but, I can prove it."

With that he got out his phone and attempted to dial Mary-Susan Fleetwood, their rooms are right next to each other's after all. Rin drummed his fingers on the table as the the phone in his hand rang.

"Sheee, should be in I think, she was in her room when I left this morning."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 11, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I lean back and pull out my phone. Might as well check Twitter while I'm here.

"I was with Dr. North all night working on my science fair project. He can corroborate for me!"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Aspects I Should Have Been Tracking All Along: No Crabs in This Bucket (f)

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Resting her head on her arms, Alice squints at Chet for a moment. "Hey, why've you got your bag on a Saturday?"

"F-footballs kit," Chet says, looking unbelievably shifty. "And stuff. Why are you so interested in my bag, anyway?"

TheNabster posted:

With that he got out his phone and attempted to dial Mary-Susan Fleetwood, their rooms are right next to each other's after all. Rin drummed his fingers on the table as the the phone in his hand rang.

The phone rings once before Mary-Susan picks up. The idea that she'd ever be far enough away from her social media lifeline to let it ring twice is absurd, anyway.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeey, Rin!" Mary-Susan seems even more chipper than usual. "What's going on in detention? Any juicy gossip? Hot personal revelations? Have you broken out and escaped to the Occultar underground?" She gasps at a sudden thought. "Do you need... a rescue? Because I am totes the hero this school deserves."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka

Rin remembered the last time Mary-Susan 'saved' him from detention and acted quickly "No! I mean- No Mary-Susan we're playing the whodunnit game right now except there is no board-game there is just me stuck in detention with 9 other people for eight hours because someone stole something from the forbidden section."

"Now I didn't leave my room last night and I know this because you were there and we rented a movie out and everything. That is what happened right?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa makes notes of what everyone's said. She catches the back and forth between Alice and Chet, standing with her back of her hands on her hips for a moment listening. Then she walks over while Chet's distracted and grabs his bag, opening it up to take a look inside.

Sneaky (+0): 4dF 4

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Aspects: No Crabs in This Bucket (f)

TheNabster posted:

"Now I didn't leave my room last night and I know this because you were there and we rented a movie out and everything. That is what happened right?"

"Yeah," Mary-Susan confirms. "Rin and Mary-Susan's Romcom Night. I live-tweeted the whole thing." You can hear her pronounce the capitals -- it's a chapter heading in the story of her life. She pauses. "Wait, someone stole something from the Forbidden Sections? That's... pretty serious. Are you sure you don't need rescuing?"

Side Note: Anyone can check Mary-Susan's Twitter feed and discover that she did, indeed, live-tweet Rin and Mary-Susan's Romcom Night last night. Seems legit!

Quickly defending: 4dF+2 -2 ...WOW. Good going Chet. Teresa gets a boost of her choice!

Chet grabs for his bag but Teresa was too sly for him.

"Hey, give that back!" he shouts, but Teresa's busy going through it.

Sure enough, Chet's got his footballsing uniform in there -- but underneath that there's a fancy-looking DSLR camera, a sketch pad, and assorted art supplies. Riffling through the sketch pad shows some surprisingly good portraiture in a variety of media, although the subjects are often shown incongruously wearing footballs kit and/or doing footballs things. The last few pages, however, show a variety of sketches of a warped humanoid -- tall and thin with noodle arms and a lopsided face. It's still wearing Occultar footballs gear though.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka

"No, no." Said Rin blushing slightly "What you've said might get me out of detention a little faster though, thank you for the help Mary-Susan."

And then Chet had his bag emptied for all to see, Rin paused.

"I'll talk to you about it later, see ya soon" Rin put the phone down, turned in his seat and fixed a grin at Chet.

"You joined the art club Chet? I didn't think you were into that kind of thing." It was the last image in the sketch book that he was really paying attention to, it was clearly different from the other pictures in the book.

Rin pointed at it, "I like this one, what is it?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 12, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac

"Whoah there, little miss Police State!"
Isaac is up now, marching towards Teresa. When did he get up?
"You know I was joking when I called you an inspector, right? You can't actually open people's bags without flipping asking them first!" His speaks rapidly as he advances, then suddenly lunges for Chet's bag, trying to snatch it from the heiress' fingers.

"What did I just say about going for each other's throat?"

quote:

Quickly getting Chet's bag back, possibly handing it back to him if this succeeds: 4dF+3 1
And I even used my very best approach. I might decide to invoke No Crabs in This Bucket and/or even Friends First, Fun Second, Plan Later depending on how Teresa rolls.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa yanks the bag out of reach again. "And who put you in charge, Carver? Someone did this, they're probably one of the people in this room, and the rest of us are paying for their crime! You want to blithely go along with that, fine, but I'm not going to sit back and take it because you don't like rocking the boat."

She puts the bag back on Chet's desk, but holds onto the DSLR, flipping through the photographs on it, glancing at the weird creature as well. "Did you see something strange, Chet? Something the rest of us should know about?"

Going to put in the boost Woman of Action.
Forceful (+2): 4dF+2 3
Your call on using invokes here, but the boost I have won't last past the scene anyways, so we'd likely just end up in a tie.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Scene Aspects: No Crabs in This Bucket (1 free)
Teresa: Woman of Action (boost)

TheNabster posted:

Rin Tanaka
"You joined the art club Chet? I didn't think you were into that kind of thing."

"A--a man can have depths!" Chet protests. "There's more to me than just footballs!"

You have discovered another of Chet's aspects! Secret Artist

Chet stands up, and you're suddenly reminded that he's a big guy -- but he keeps his hands at his sides and seems more uncomfortable than angry.

"Give my things back, Teresa. There's nothing for you in there."

Teresa gives most of his stuff back and skims through the camera's internal card. Footballs stuff, selfies, some landscape shots and random bits of the school -- and then three from last night, all time-stamped between 11 and midnight, of nothing but the night sky.

"I haven't seen anything," Chet says, shaking his head. "That's... imagination. That's what that is." He eyes Teresa eyeing his camera. "And me not being good with cameras."

Chet's got two secrets: the night sky photos and the weird drawings. But he's clammed up! Getting more info is two Overcome rolls at Good (+3) difficulty, one for each topic. You're guaranteed to succeed, but if your roll goes badly you might end up eating a minor or serious cost.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Popping up with comic timing behind Teresa, Alice says to Chet, casually, "I didn't know you were into creepypasta!" She swings past her and Isaac as the two squabble for a moment. "Which one is that supposed to be? The Director? The Smiling Man? Jeff?", she says, engaging on the level of unfettered curiosity. "You don't have to be embarrassed! It's really good!"

Well, more flies with honey than tabasco.

Only rolled a 2 for a Clever overcome, but I'll invoke "Believe In Your Dreams!" with a fate point hope to bump it up to a 4.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon reaches forward in her seat and gives Teresa a firm but business-like slug in the shoulder blade.

"Don't be a dick, give him his stuff back, dude."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Only rolled a 2 for a Clever overcome, but I'll invoke "Believe In Your Dreams!" with a fate point hope to bump it up to a 4.

Chet looks pained.

"Look, it's a secret, okay?" He looks out of the window and nods his head at Occultar mountain, its wooded slopes clearly visible in the bright sunshine. "There are some dudes living up on the mountain. They got hit by some sort of magical fallout like, a hundred years ago, and now they all look... bleeeeah. You know? The Foundation lets them live up there so long as they don't bother anybody, and the art club sometimes gets one down from the mountain to use as a life model. They give us a shopping list and we get them stuff from town for them, then we draw them a bit."

He looks around at everyone.

"But you can't tell anyone. They'll get into trouble! And so will we."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac
Isaac pinches the bride of his nose in frustration.
"Look, you wanna play detective? Fine. But just like no one put me in charge, no one put you in it either, so stop acting all high and mighty and ask people before you touch their stuff. You think you can afford us this basic level of courtesy?"

quote:

Yeah no, it's not worth it. You win this round!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka

"Hm, hey Teresa can I see? Thanks" Gently taking the camera out of her hand, Rin flicks through the images himself, scanning the images as he went. "Good framing Chet, very good, though I would recommend talking to Tavleen Munroe, she's your girl if you really want to get good at photography." He keeps going until he gets to the night time photos and enlarges them to get a closer look.

22:05 TheNabster Rin is skimming through the photos to look for stuff, with a Clever +2 Approach
22:05 TheNabster !r 4dF+2
22:05 Krysmbot TheNabster, +--/+2 = 1

Hmmm, imma spend a fate point/hope to invoke Smart but Lazy and turn that into a 3

"Don't see anything weird here myself." He handed the camera back to Chet. "By the way, summer is coming up and I was thinking of taking the plunge and joining a club. Does the Art Club have any space?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa goes through the night sky shots a few times. "Did you join the astronomy club too Chet? I don't think these are accidental."

"If everyone else would take this situation seriously, then we could make some progress, Carver."

Clever (+2): 4dF+2 2
I think that nets a boost, so The Stars Were Right?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Scene Aspects: No Crabs in This Bucket (1 free)
Teresa: Woman of Action (boost)

Assuming Rin activates Teresa's boost to get a success on his roll...

"See, I don't see anything weird either!" he says, as if Rin confirmed something he already suspected. "Rich was going on and on about 'the stars are right' yesterday, but when I asked what he meant he just did that thing he does. You know:"

Chet rolls his eyes and heaves an exaggerated sigh, the trademark expression of Richard Upton, artiste. It just looks bizarre on Chet's guileless face, though.

"So I thought I'd see what he was talking about." He shrugs. "They're pretty, but... just stars."

Gai comes in and peers over Rin's shoulder.

"I dunno, man. They're ringing bells with me. Maybe we learned something like it in astrology class?" He frowns. "You could look it up in one of the reference books maybe? We are in the library."

Chet takes the camera from Rin and stashes it back in his pack.

"You'd have to talk to Carla about joining the club," he says. "And you really can't tell Tavvers about this. She's cool and all, but she's the worst at keeping secrets."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alice smiles at Chet. "What? That sounds cool!", she replies sincerely. "Anyway, um-" She pokes at her cheek. "- I don't want to say Teresa's right, but what if the Headmaster's wrong and the real culprit pinned it on us? Then they'd be out there ready to make a ruckus... or end the world... or at least the island..." She pokes her fingers together. "If we stick together in groups, though, we can look into this. And if whoever did it is in this room, they can't get away with anything as long as they're not alone."

Laughing nervously, she adds, "I mean, as long as we get back here before the end of the day, it's fine, right?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Having been silent in a long post on Tumblr about whether malachite is poisonous if exposed to mucus membranes, I look over to Alice.

"I don't think we're gonna be doing much looking into things with that sticky note on the door. I mean, unless we got a man outside to bust us out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa nods at Alice's words. "Nice to hear at least one of you has the guts to see what we need to do," she says, totally ignoring that Gai was all for it earlier as well.

"And as for getting out of here..." Teresa picks up her own bag - a military style satchel that is either actual used surplus or a very expensive designer knockoff distressed to look like it is - and dumps out a long coil of rope, ascender/descenders, and other climbing gear. "We just need a solid anchor."

Using my BattleTech stunt and declaring the boost Rappelling Gear.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2016

• Locked thread