Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Isaac

Isaac's eyes go wide with excitement as he sees the grappling hook. "Oh man, we're evading detention!"
He gasps. "Oh! Wait a second!" He goes to look outside the window. "Let's make sure there's no one who'll see us first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Scene Aspects: No Crabs in This Bucket (1 free)
Teresa: Woman of Action (boost)

Peering out of the window, Isaac sees no-one around -- it is Saturday, after all. Everyone's probably hanging out in better places than campus.

I'm not going to make you roll to escape -- Teresa's rappelling gear will get you all out just fine. The question is... who's going where? Feel free to split up if you like.
The NPCs will go with whoever drags them off, pretty much; if you don't choose where they're going I will.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Rin Tanaka

He looked at the great escape in motion and pursed his lips. "Well if you're going to do that we'll stay here and hold the fort. I am suddenly feeling like doing a little light book reading."

He turned back to Gai. "You can come with me since you know what we are looking for, and I would also like... Yes Anna, you're the bookish type right? Can you help us find the right books?"

Rin is gonna start the Astronomy Study Group to look further into the weird stars seen on Chet's camera. He would like to take Anna Kadath and Gai Iwata for this end, anyone else is welcome to join.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Looking to Anna, Alice beams. "Hey, if he didn't want us to get out, he'd have done more than just a door! This is like a test, or something." She taps her cheek at that, her eyes wandering upward in thought, but then puffs her cheeks at Teresa. "It's not that big a deal..."

Going to look out the window with a lean, she then stands back up, her ahoge swaying in the current fluttering through the window. "So, who's coming with? Make up your minds quick, tho!"

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 29, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Well, I guess...I was going to do a little research of my own anyway!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sharon

"I'm game. Let's break the law."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa Mai Kurita-Steiner

Teresa is getting a descender hooked on the rope, and peering down into the courtyard. "I'm going to the dorm to get some things, and then I'm going to check out the library. Maybe whoever broke in left some clues behind."

"I knew I shouldn't have worn a skirt today," she says with some irritation before she goes out the window.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac
"Oh, alright. If this goes all pear-shaped I'm blaming it on peer pressure."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Using Teresa's gear, everyone makes it out of the window and down to the ground -- some with more grace than others, admittedly, but in the end everyone's out and unhurt. One group immediately turns around and heads back in to the library in search of astrological information, one group trails after Teresa on her way to the dorms.

"I've got some new material I want to practice," Feixue says, waving. "I'll be in the auditorium if you need me."

"Uh-uh," Addison butts in. "No one goes off on their own. Chet, go and keep an eye on her."

Chet looks a little apologetic. Feixue shrugs. "Whatever."

The two of them head off in the direction of the auditorium.

Sharon, Isaac, and Alice haven't specified where they're going! Add yourself to whichever scene suits you better. (Or follow Feixue, or go elsewhere!)

Astronomy Study Group (Library): Rin, Anna, Gai

Aspects: A Maze Of Twisty Little Bookshelves; Door To The Forbidden Sections; Shhh!

The problem with the library is that it's never empty. Students can be found here at all hours cramming for tests or doing research, even on a beautiful Saturday morning, and the seven all-seeing eyes of Angus Panoptes the head librarian roam the stacks, keeping watch. You figure most of the students either won't know or won't care that you're all supposed to be in detention, but Mr Panoptes is another matter.

Anyone who wants to get to the astrology section unseen must overcome a Good (+3) difficulty! If you fail you'll make it, but a major cost will be coming your way.

Dorm Expedition: Teresa, Addison

Aspects: Occult Student Dorms; Drama And Gossip On Every Floor; Probably Under Maintenance

The layout of the dorms seems to change daily -- not through any occult means, mind you, just because they're in a permanent state of being repaired and/or upgraded. This weekend it's painting! Several hallways are curtained off by heavy plastic sheeting, liberally covered with wet paint warnings and reminders that paint fumes can be dangerous if inhaled.

The halls are mostly empty -- everyone's closed in their rooms or out and about -- but as Teresa sweeps into the common room she surprises Tavleen Munroe and Anne Sez, chatting on the couch. Anne looks stricken at this interruption, but Tavleen's journo mind immediately pivots to this new excitement.

"Ohohoho!" she chortles, rubbing her hands. "The detentioneers are out! So tell me: What's the story? Who did it? What did they do? What's the Headmaster going to do to them?"

Anyone making an overcome against Average (+1) will notice Anne hiding something behind her back as you come in.. If you succeed with style I'll tell you what it was!

P.S.
Tavleen Munroe

Aspects: The Arcane Gazette’s Newshound; Two Scoops Ahead; Straight B Student

Anne Cez

Aspects: Still Waters Run Deep; Time-Bending Newtype; Art And Science Aren’t So Different

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon's not going to go to the library on a Saturday morning, that's for nerds. And she's totally oblivious to whatever Anne is doing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wait, I don't get it. Why are are Teresa and her group going to the dormitories?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I said I wanted to get a few things there, the others came for their own reasons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Isaac's main motivation is fun, and sneaking into a place you're not supposed to go is more exciting than just hanging out at the dormitories. He's going in the library.
Isaac
Isaac enters the library nonchalantly, and immediately pretends to browse the closest shelf, making sure to keep it between him and the closest eyes of Mr. Panoptes. He gestures for his fellow escapees to join him.
"I think I've got an idea to get where we need to go..." he smirks as he pulls out his smartphone. His fingers quickly navigate its labyrinthine menus until he reaches the VentriLoq app. A map of his location appears on his phone; he zooms in and selects somewhere far enough for him to provide a decent distraction. His smirk widens as he whispers "Prepare for impact!" and presses the button.

A shrieking sound somewhere between an airhorn and an irate bird shatters the quiet of the library. Several of the librarian's eyes turn towards its direction.

I am going to Cleverly Create an Advantage called A Distraction!
Create a distraction: 4dF+2 -1
Well fudge that. I'm going to use one of the boosts provided by Super Smartphone to reroll this.
Create a distraction (reroll thanks to boost): 4dF+2 3
Much better. Assuming the difficulty is Fair, I just succeeded. Anyone in the "study group" is free to use the free invocation to get into the astrology section. Seize the moment!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa groans when she sees Tavleen, but isn't quick enough to avoid her. She chooses to answer only the last question. "Whatever he's going to do, it'll be much kinder than what I plan to do to them for ruining my weekend. Now if you'll excuse me I need to get some things from my room so I can find the idiots."

Even as she tries to fend off the erstwhile student reporter, Teresa is keeping one eye on Anne. They were up to something when the group came in - and in the absence of other clues, anyone could be a suspect.

Clever (+2): 4dF+2 5

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hope: 2 / 3

Alice looks after Feixue and Chet, biting her lip. She steps after to follow, but she can't get stuck with Feixue going through a whole routine. After a moment, she hurries after Teresa, rushing after.

She catches up in time for suddenly, Tavleen, and slides to a stop. "Hey, um- somebody took a thing, and we're going to find out who.", she says, hands on her hips. "So I thought-" about three seconds ago "- why not ask Tavleen?! She's always got the low-down skinny on the haps. If anybody's gotta have some clues-" who isn't O "- it's gotta be her." She may be pushing it with adding, "And it's a reporter's duty to inform the public! That's us!" She beams, rubbing the back of her neck, trying to nail down the reporter's attention.

Time to see if she can flip the script here!

Going to try cleverly pumping Tavleen for information, and got a 2 here for that. Well, not great, but it's a bit early to be overspending, so we'll leave it at that!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka
2/3 Hope

Whilst the prospect of getting caught outside of the detention room was worrying him slightly, the prospect of avoiding carpel tunnel syndrome from being trapped in there all day was something he considered more pressing. And now, here was Rin doing his 'thing'. A distraction was being caused by Issac but Rin didn't need such help because he had a talent.

Namely being so incredibly normal looking and none threatening to anyone and everything that he didn't even have to hide when he snuck into the library, he projected the words BACKGROUND CHARACTER in big letters where ever he went at the best of times, especially next to Mary-Susan whose equally blared words of MAIN CHARACTER made him almost invisible. And so whilst students studied and talked he went into the astronomy section completely unnoticed.

Rin is gonna overcome the Sneaky stuff in a Sneaky+3 manner because of course I'll roll my best aspect for this

16:07 TheNabster Issac: "Ayo Rin go sneak that poo poo" Rin: "OKAY!"
16:07 TheNabster !r 4dF+3
16:07 Krysmbot TheNabster, ++-/+3 = 4
16:07 TheNabster Neat

Plain common garden success, no need to get fancy with boosts

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 30, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Astronomy Study Group (Library): Rin, Anna, Gai, Isaac
Aspects: A Distraction! (f)

Isaac's distraction blares through the library, sending Panoptes' roaming eyes bouncing toward the disturbance. Meanwhile Rin strolls casually through the stacks, blending in like the totally normal student he is. Gai arrives shortly afterwards, sauntering with exaggerated coolness.

I'll wait to see if anyone else joins you before I tell you what you can find...

Dorm Expedition: Teresa, Addison, Sharon, Alice
Anne's quick, but not quite quick enough to avoidTeresa's eagle eye. You catch a glimpse of a prescription bottle of pills before she stuffs it behind her.

Meanwhile Tavleen offers Alice a huge grin. She whips out her phone and starts taking notes.

"Somebody took something, eh? Know what it was? Who did it? I mean, you're right about having a duty to inform the public, but I have to know the story first!"

Defending with Sneaky: 4dF+3 4

If you want to sweep on to your room/s and get your stuff, go ahead. Alice and Tavvers aren't inclined to stop you -- but Addison's determined that no-one should be allowed to go off on their own, so you'll have to split into pairs or do something about her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Quickly!
<Waffleman> !r 4dF+1
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, ////+1 = 1
<Waffleman> poo poo
Invoking the distraction for a 3!

Anna tries to dash into the section and bangs her foot against a book cart, crying out in pain.

"AH DAMMIT!"

Fortunately, the distraction keeps attention off her and she's able to make her way in.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Your minor cost is... a Stubbed Toe anti-boost, which will hang around for the rest of the scene or until someone uses it to make your life difficult.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hanging her arms as she leans forward slightly, Alice stares at Tavleen in defeat. "Noooo... that's why I'm asking you, you know..." She straightens up for a moment. "Well, whatever, no time for that!", she concludes, and then hurries after Teresa. She was the one that brought up the notion of pairs, even if Addison is being more pokey about it. "Hey, wait up!", she calls out as she goes to catch up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa has done her best to take advantage of others distracting Tavleen to head for her room. She glances over her shoulder when Alice calls, but doesn't stop to wait, ducking through the door into the stairwell.

Quick seems like a reasonable approach to get separated from the group! Also am I correct in assuming the
Quick (+1): 4dF+1 2

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Hey, why is her room door closed-", Alice says cluelessly, trying to hasten after to catch up, and then knocks on Teresa's dorm door. "Hey, we're not supposed to split up!", she protests, and then puffs her cheeks out, folding her arms as she kicks the door in frustration.

Well, trying to chase after gets a roll of zero, so there's that!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 29, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka
2/3 Hope

"Right" Rin said quietly to Gai when they had reached the astronomy section "You take that side, I'll take this side, let's see what we can find."

Rin is going to carefully try and find the book or books they are after

<TheNabphone> Rin is going to be looking for cool books
<TheNabphone> !r 4dF+2
<Krysmbot> TheNabphone, -/+/+2 = 2

Dunno if that is a success or not.

In hindsight as is a lot of things Rin has fine maybe he should have come into the library more often.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Just a second, keep your skirt on," Teresa says from inside. There's a fair bit of knocking about and rustling through things if Alice listens at the door.

Teresa pulls some things out that might be useful - flashlight, tablet, more rope, some flares, first-aid kit, her bigger make-up kit, slightly-out-of-fashion military jacket - and stuffs them into her designer messenger bag.

But mostly she's using this as an excuse to see if someone else has brought anything back since she's been gone. Assuming no such things have appeared, she pulls out her phone and sends a response to the message she got last night.

[ Where are you? You better not be involved in this Forbidden Section thing! Especially since the Headmaster is on our asses about it. And what the hell do you need explosives for? Talk to me! ]

[ Also you better not have "borrowed" my new jacket! ]

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Aspects: A Distraction!

Gai, Rin and Anna get to searching the astrology section for pertinent info. An electronic index makes finding the references to yesterday relatively simple, but then there comes the rather more arduous process of picking apart the occult gibberish to work out what the stars were right for.

In the end they pare it down to two possibilities. The stars were right for:

• The summoning of something called a 'Tuathan', which has the little exclamation mark symbol indicating a memetic hazard. You'll have to find a teacher to unlock further details (or get busy with the hacking).
  • The opening of a gateway into a dimension where space is folded up tight but which is a potential source of clean energy. There are links out to advanced research papers addressing this topic, all of which are a) deemed safe for students to read and b) super-boring.

"It's got to be the Tuathan," says Gai, looking unhappy. "Nobody ever says 'the stars are right... for me to discover limitless clean energy'."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alice stops in midkick, and then huffs before putting her foot down. Standing straight up, she lets herself lean slowly over before she impacts the door with the mildest of "thump"s.

That's a comedic cue for it to fall open.

Using Sleepwalking Strength with a forceful overcome to attempt to accidentally knock it open, for a 3 total.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
With a click, Alice's accidental ('accidental') stumble dislodges something in the door locking mechanism and it swings open, revealing Teresa rapidly stuffing things into her messenger bag. Addison pushes her way in past the daydreaming girl and stares around, glaring at everything in suspicion.

"What are you up to in here?" she demands.

As if in response, there's a muffled thud and a shuffling sound from behind the closed bathroom door. Addison's glare shifts from Teresa to the bathroom and back again.

"Are you going to tell me what that was, or am I going to open the door and find out?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa doesn't bother answering Addison's first question, instead looking at the bathroom door, eyebrows furrowed. "Someone tossed my room. And I have no idea what's behind that door."

She turns to glare right back at Addison. "So I assume this is the part where you break into another room? I'll give you permission to do it this time."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Flailing for a moment, Alice pratfalls over on her side alongside Addison, she looks upside-down at Teresa with wide eyes. "It just fell open!", she protests. "Don't get mad at..." She pauses. "... nevermind, you're always mad at somebody."

Sitting up straight, she rubs her head. "Are you packing any snacks?", she asks hopefully.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa frowns at Alice's statement, but doesn't have a good comeback. So she just pulls a box of candy bars out and hold its out for Alice to take one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon watches the whole exchange with a shiny white smile. Someone else being on the spot is a delight.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rin Tanaka
2/3 Hope

"Yeeeeeah sounds about right to me as well. No one ever wants the perfect cosmic alignment for something nice." He looks at the locked symbol and frowns a little. They have all this occult information, and they look it behind closed doors because they aren't aware of the attraction of prohibition.

"Seems to be locked though." He looked at Anna. "Don't suppose you're good with the hacking are you? Otherwise we should probably go and find Issac before the librarians get him. He'll have an app for it I'm sure."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Addison flares her nostrils at Teresa and stalks past her to fling the bathroom door open. Revealing...

Fong Ho??

Aspects: Student Council Vice President; Perfect Public Persona

He flashes a winning smile at everyone and tries to stand so that it's not obvious that his wrists are cable-tied together behind his back and his ankles cable-tied together... you know, right there where you can see. Addison gets as far as shaping the first syllable of 'what--' when Fong Ho cuts her off.

"Hey guys," he says as if he'd just bumped into you in Aston Junction and not Teresa's bathroom. "Teresa here was just helping me with my hostage situation training. Isn't that right Teresa?"

Will move ahead the library scene too if nobody else posts soon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

As far as I'm concerned you can go right ahead. It doesn't really make sense in the fiction for me to follow the others or leave, I pretty much just have to wait it out; and I think the others said they wanted to leave anyway.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I WISH it was clean energy! I'd win a Nobel Prize at 17!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon

Sharon claps her hands and her obnoxious smile widens.

"Haha, that's BS. A hostage-taker wouldn't leave their target alone and unobserved, and whatever that is you were doing, it definitely wasn't the Gruber technique."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Brightening, Alice takes up the candy bar. There's a yawn, and almost a visible effort for to get off the floor without just crashing out for a moment. Dusting herself off, she looks over to Fong Ho. "Oh, hey? You want half of this?", she says, unwrapping the bar, as if blithely unaware that his hands are bound. Looking over to Teresa, she adds, "That's nicer of you than I expected, though!... Hostage Situation Training... is that an elective?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Independent study," Teresa tells Alice, rolling her eyes and walking over towards Fong.

"Did you hit your head? This week its kidnapping countermeasures and escape, not hostage taking. That might explain why you did so bad at the countermeasure part. Either way, you should have been able to get out of those hours ago." Teresa pulls a utility tool out of her bag and cuts the cable ties off.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sorry for being v. slow at the moment. I'll try to speed up some.

"All I know is what I'm told," Fong says to Sharon with a shrug. "If the terminology's wrong... well, that's the terminology."

"Thanks Teresa," he adds as Teresa cuts him free. He rubs his wrists. "It seems I have a lot to learn about the dangers that might befall a leader of tomorrow. Now, if you'll excuse me? I need to return to my room and study up."

Fong makes to leave.

"Oh, thanks Alice." He pauses to take half the candy bar. "Addison." He nods to the basketballer, who is currently speechless with confusion.

If you let him leave you can gather up your stuff and head over to the Forbidden Sections to investigate like you originally intended. Or you can quiz him some more.

Aspects: A Distraction!

You've run out of leads here for now, so I'm going to arbitrarily reunite all PCs and hangers-on at the Forbidden Sections for further investigation next post. Unless you post to tell me you want to do something different.

And if Isaac wants to have a go at cracking the school's security he can do it from any terminal.[/i]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looking to Sharon, Alice echoes, "Doing it wrong? Um... maybe it's fine... if they're consenting...?" Her muses gets her to trail off, before she slaps her cheeks. "Oh, I have to stop by my room, too!", she says, starting that way. "Um, and then we can be right along!"

Not that she's rushing off to break from the group. But it's worth seeing if her roomie's around before anything else goes down.

• Locked thread