Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is H. P. Lovecraft a good author?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

This thread has more angry defences of lovecrafts racism (lots) than attacks on lovecrafts racism (none) and i think thats the damndest thing

yes if only more people ITT had your courage to call out Lovecraft's racism!

poopnanners posted:

Exceedingly verbose and more than a little racist.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I like him a great deal and think he is a very important and good author, but as previously mentioned he was very racist.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Cool ideas more than the specifics. Also very racist, which is relevant because a lot of his stuff had to do with blood mixing and (ironically) how sins of ancestors couldn't be purged for descendants

Lil Peeler posted:

Yes but also no. Great at building tension, pacing atmosphere. Bad because he could never really get the payoff/climax of his stories right. He was also racist but I felt that it was more from his environment than an actual vindictiveness.

-Posted from the toilet with my Galaxy 5s

dsf posted:

good: he liked cats and had one he was very fond of

bad: the cat was named friend of the family

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is where I'd put him. Excellent at slowly building dread through lots of disparate scraps of information. Terrible at dialog and usually miffing the endings, with a few exceptions. He has maybe four great stories but the rest are middling to terrible. The racism stuff also strikes me as a hypocritical sheltered guy who had delusions of his blue-bloodedness getting total culture shock from New York. He married a Jewish woman and had a few "you're one of the good ones" moments with black people, but I think had he lived longer he probably would have softened on the racism and xenophobia, at least a little bit.

And "The Colour out of Space" is excellent for having a truly alien alien whose motives are totally a mystery. The way it saps life from the farm and the people who live there slowly over a year was good poo poo. Probably his best story even though it has some godawful dialog.

PinkoBastard posted:

I like his writing but i know it's not "good" in the traditional sense. It's so reliant on antiquated language (even for the time) and overly verbose description that i imagine most modern audiences would find it tough to parse/not worth reading if not for the popularity of the Cthulhu mythos. lots of his stories feature outright racist bullshit too, so that's definitely another hurdle for people to overcome.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Re-Animator, it's giant Negro zombie notwithstanding, is a fantastic Lovecraft story that feels far less derivative than a lot of his works. In particular, it's one of those great examples of the Lovecraft Finish: a long, flowery "short" story whose gruesome finish is literally two paragraphs.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Lovecraft hated black people and was not very subtle about it. Comparing him to Twain is moronic.

those are all from literally the first page of the thread btw, 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i havent read him but probably not

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

natetimm posted:

The Hyborian age is where he gets most of his criticism but really that's just because there are so many things referred to as "black" when it comes to villains. You've got Black Acheronians, which are basically just demon hybrids, the Picts, who are described as dark-skinned and pretty much universally hated as savages, savage apes and ape-men, and then actual black people located in the Black Kingdoms far to the south who get enslaved by Stygia and Zingara.

If I recall correctly, one of the Conan stories has a black man killed by a gorilla, and the situation described something like the "negro finally encountering something even more primitive than himself"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flarpy posted:

If I recall correctly, one of the Conan stories has a black man killed by a gorilla, and the situation described something like the "negro finally encountering something even more primitive than himself"

sounds hot.like banging on a leopardskin

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I like The Rats in the Wall a lot

generational taint of so called nobility, horrific truths behind local folklore, unimaginable depravity of man secretly extending beyond prehistory, proto-hardboiled noir detective narration style

but the cats name

jesus hp

I read some collection of his stories. I started with the long-rear end foreword section arguing how his views on race were complex, and did not "endear him to the modern reader."
Next, I read "The rats in the walls", and the first sentence is like "Me and my cat Niggerman where heading for that old house which would turn out to be quite rat-filled by the end of this story."

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Lovecraft described horrors so vast and eldritch that the human mind could not contain their very images.

Hans Geiger drew them in pen and ink plain to see. He was legitimately accessing the spectral monster plane in his madness of genius. Dali, I thinx, would have liked his work.
Too bad Geiger never wrote any stories.
He gave us the cover of ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery", and the Xenomorph from Aliens (Necronomicon IV, iirc).

If you have never seen the original drawing called Necronomicon IV, it is the Xenomorph, curled, embedded and ensconced in unspeakable sexual images, with a long translucent penis-like head, filled with writhing worms.
They actually tried to do this in the film, but the worms kept dying under the hot lights.
A mad genius, or a genius madman?
I miss him.
" The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali

Creative people go insane in creative ways- hence the fact that the sovereign states of Genius and Madness share a border.

And why Mel Gibson can be such a swollen rear end in a top hat.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 9, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Internaut! posted:

That guy is so stupid he should be kept in a cage for people to look at.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lovecraft is kind of all over the place quality-wise. Some stories are amazing while others are unreadable trash.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Lovecraft was actually a good writer, and anyone who unironically recommends reading Stephen King as a better alternative is either trolling or functionally illiterate.

King is really similar to Lovecraft in that he's a mediocre author who has really good ideas... who was a decent author who had great ideas until he quit drugs

N is one of my favorite Lovecraftian stories by him (and I think that one is actually fairly recent), and Crouch End is pretty great as well.

Everyone always talks about The Langoliers as being his best Lovecraft, to be honest I think it's just okay and feels more like a long episode of The Twilight Zone.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Lovecraft thought race mixing was unfathomable horror so all his, "you can't possibly understand the terror" bullshit falls kind of flat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
King is like the opposite of HPL. He's insanely prolific, cheerfully lowbrow, and made a mint off pulp. I like a lot of his stories, but there's also a gigantic amount of poo poo in his oeuvre (like vastly more poo poo than the sum total of fiction HPL ever produced). He's got some good reads for sure, but I don't think Lovecraft's influence on him is more than a minor thing. He has much more similarity to mid-century authors like Richard Matheson.

Ligotti is probably the closest modern author to Lovecraft in terms of his worldview and his style, in some ways surpasses him for clarity of language and for really grotesque imagery, but he's hard to recommend to people because he comes off as a complete psycho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cmykjester posted:

Lovecraft is kind of all over the place quality-wise. Some stories are amazing while others are unreadable trash.

As someone upthread mentioned, it is as though he just published his story notes or first draft. Sometimes that first draft was pretty good, sometimes that first draft needed lots of work.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Facebook Aunt posted:

As someone upthread mentioned, it is as though he just published his story notes or first draft. Sometimes that first draft was pretty good, sometimes that first draft needed lots of work.

he was a reclusive autodidact with no real editorial support publishing in trashy magazines. He does pretty good considering the circumstances

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mange Mite posted:

he was a reclusive autodidact with no real editorial support publishing in trashy magazines. He does pretty good considering the circumstances

Exactly. He was so sickly and/or neurotic that he didn't even get a normal k-12 education, and could be kept home for years at a time. Reading lots of books is an education, but it won't tell you how to construct prose (unless you read books about how to construct prose, I guess).

He had talent, but not skill.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Facebook Aunt posted:

He had talent, but not skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJ96imMskk

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
like it has been said many times, even in this thread, if he hadn't been afraid of absolutely everything, be it brown people or fishes, he wouldn't have been so remarkable author that we would still be talking about him 80 years after his death

i think it was someone in the book barn thread who said that you don't get spooked from reading his books, but you get this weird eerie feeling

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

like it has been said many times, even in this thread, if he hadn't been afraid of absolutely everything, be it brown people or fishes, he wouldn't have been so remarkable author that we would still be talking about him 80 years after his death

i think it was someone in the book barn thread who said that you don't get spooked from reading his books, but you get this weird eerie feeling

Consider it this way. Of ALL the goony fucks who are xenophobic, afraid of other people's opinions, are shut-ins, are terrified of water and have weird medical issues, Lovecraft is the only one we are talking about 100 years later.

Yeah. His work was influential and better than most.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the real monster is gbs

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
when idiots pretend to be well read

makes for a terrible thread

and the living envy the dead

thats what the ghost said

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

reallivedinosaur posted:

when idiots pretend to be well read

it makes for a terrible thread

and the living envy the dead

thats what the ghost said

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You guys know that there are literally so many talented authors that have been judged accordingly by history that you could spend a lifetime reading them all

:eyepop:

Judged by whom exactly?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Judged by whom exactly?

by TV

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Judged by whom exactly?

Well, the Library of America publishes collections of the "greatest" writing in the American literary canon, so maybe they're a good judge. And guess what they put out a while back?

He was right, the universe is controlled by a blind idiot god and everything is meaningless

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

He was right, the universe is controlled by a blind idiot god and everything is meaningless

I sincerely wonder what HPL's reaction would be to the Bush era.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
OH HOLY GREAT gently caress THERES NEEGROS ON THE TEEVEE!!!!1!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

friend of the family jim is a good character

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
cthulu is weaksauce satanism for dorks who are still scared of their mothers

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have a Lovecraft related tattoo :grin:

oh

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
anybody know what Cthulhu has for sex organs? im guessing coaca but not entirely sure and the lot of u seem much more well read re: Lovecraft than I am

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In his defense he did live in a time period where the NBA was dominated by Jewish players.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

friend of the family jim is a good character

we dont call him that anymore you bigot

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
those are some spooOOooooooooooky beasts!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

those are some spooOOooooooooooky beasts!

but isnt even the humblest life lived under the aspect of eternity?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Orkin Mang posted:

but isnt even the humblest life lived under the aspect of eternity?

gently caress all i know is that guys racist

we should burn those books (they are also pretty spooky so maybe less nightmares without them?)

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

reallivedinosaur posted:

gently caress all i know is that guys racist

we should burn those books (they are also pretty spooky so maybe less nightmares without them?)

nah, keep 'em around, but if anybody admits to reading them, just remind them about how nig-crazy ol' herbert pee luvcraft was

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Internaut! posted:

yes if only more people ITT had your courage to call out Lovecraft's racism!

Oh geez another one

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Its possible too much of lovecrafts prose screws up your ability to understand normal english, something for everybody to keep in mind

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Racism was very uncommon in the 1920's,

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Racism was very uncommon in the 1920's,

Other racists who corresponded with them would second guess their prejudices based on the things he would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Imo the haunter of the dark is very good

• Locked thread