Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm guessing AiC's inflated reputation is because they were a safe haven for fleeing hair metal teens that were instantly rendered uncool by Nevermind, because they're pretty boring honestly.
AiC's inflated reputation is because they are awesome. I didn't even get into AiC until the mid-late '00s.

Pearl Jam's early releases and Nirvana are also good. I don't listen to them much anymore because if you haven't heard that poo poo way too many times I'm kinda jealous.

Not really something I'd talk with people about in real life, but it's true whether people want to admit it or not. They aren't the peak of music or anything, but all three of those bands deserve to survive the next few decades in the same way lots of the 50s/60s bands people still remember have.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The opening wail on Them Bones is better than the entirety of Nirvana and Pearl Jam's catalog.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so apparently counting crows is still playing concerts, is that wild or what??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Counting pennies

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Tricky D posted:

The opening wail on Them Bones is better than the entirety of Nirvana and Pearl Jam's catalog.

This is true. And AIC was great. Who cares if they were marketed?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What would have been the music scene of the early-mid 90s if not for the grunge scene? Would the indie/college rock alternative scene have picked up a lot of popularity on its own, or would something else have been big in its place?

The angry metal sound seemed like it was sort of starting to already give way a bit more to a more 'fun' and ballad based hard rock sound around the time of Nirvana's emergence. In a world without Nirvana or Pearl Jam, would we have been be seeing a bunch of hugely popular Unplugged releases of possibly still popular metal/hard rock groups to broaden their appeal to the mainstream and soften their image with a more 'folky' take on their louder hits?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The big thing happening at the time - bigger than grunge I'd warrant - was the emergence of techno and permutations of electronic dance music.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Alice in Chains could have been marketed as the next new kids on the block and it wouldn't matter because they own them bones.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

central dogma posted:

This is true. And AIC was great. Who cares if they were marketed?

It's a really ridiculous argument because every record sold is a product of marketing. Punk rock and grunge trying to pretend they were somehow above it was itself a fiction of marketing.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
selling out seems like such a quaint notion these days because it implies you can actually make money playing music

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The 90s concept of selling out seems hilariously childish anymore. Although I guess big labels had a lot more weight to throw around back then.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This song was a little popular for a window of time after grunge got big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmxSMIN3-WI

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pearl Jam is bad but they are no Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, or Train so at least they have that going for them?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Wizchine posted:

The big thing happening at the time - bigger than grunge I'd warrant - was the emergence of techno and permutations of electronic dance music.
yeah but that could never fly in the US after disco made white guys stomp their feet about "muh guitar bands"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Did any grunge groups get their own video game? Journey got a video game. Aerosmith got a video game. Motley Crue got a video game. KISS got video games. New Kids almost got a video game.

Did any of them even get a dedicated Rock Band/Guitar Hero?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
at least one of the kiss video games was good, that generic 90s shooter

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Pearl Jam always sucked and I knew it from day 1.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's not that they're bad they're just not particularly good b/c it turns out singing with a microphone up your nose makes the lyrics hard to understand and then whats the point

do the evolution is the only pearl jam song where i can make out most of the words with effort

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just a shy guy
lookin' for a two-ply
hefty bag to hold my-y-y-y-y-y-y love

i still cannot believe these are real lyrics to a real song that somehow became a hit.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gazpacho posted:

yeah but that could never fly in the US after disco made white guys stomp their feet about "muh guitar bands"

if you look at the billboard top 100 from about 89-94 there's a ton of dance tracks

far more than any grunge or alt rock songs

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
3rd eye blind b1tch1!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chinatown posted:

3rd eye blind b1tch1!!!

didn't their lead singer basically rip off the rest of the band by setting up some company that took all the money or some weird poo poo

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Gazpacho posted:

it's not that they're bad they're just not particularly good b/c it turns out singing with a microphone up your nose makes the lyrics hard to understand and then whats the point

do the evolution is the only pearl jam song where i can make out most of the words with effort

the purpose of singing is clear enunciation

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Cubey posted:

just a shy guy
lookin' for a two-ply
hefty bag to hold my-y-y-y-y-y-y love

i still cannot believe these are real lyrics to a real song that somehow became a hit.

is this song about a hobo looking for toilet paper so he can take a poo poo in a trashbag

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Zorodius posted:

the purpose of singing is clear enunciation

counterpoint: black metal

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
best grunge bands:

TAD
soundgarden up to badmotorfinger
alice in chains up to dirt
nirvana's bleach
everything melvins ever did

everything else is poo poo.

pearl jam would be the worst if it weren't for temple of the dog

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

melvins is grunge?! wtf

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MiracleWhale posted:

melvins is grunge?! wtf

loosely defined yeah, they played with other grunge bands and are from the same area. what is grunge anyway? dale crover even plays on bleach.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 12, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
swervedriver were the best band to combine the pacific northwestern rock sound with shoegaze. only band, too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MiracleWhale posted:

melvins is grunge?! wtf

melvins are the last remaining legit punk band

much like non-maritime courts grunge is a legal fiction

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's my fav melvins live clips from youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MRgCcYyKQk
full show from ucla with dracula lori on bass. look at those loving weirdos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-nmcfiC3nM
bonus studio live from the 90s, look at those goddamn weirdos

there was also a live clip from some italian daytime tv show from the 90s. it ends up with the host asking buzz why cobain killed himself, with buzz saying he killed himself because he was a stupid junkie. the host then translates this to italian and the show cuts to commercials.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
not that it matters but i think that 2nd video's from the early 2000s since that's david scott stone on guitar and kevin rutmanis from the cows on bass

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
this is my favorite melvins vid them covering into the void but making the slow parts slower and the fast parts faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m0QcEv2xwU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

William F Cuckley posted:

not that it matters but i think that 2nd video's from the early 2000s since that's david scott stone on guitar and kevin rutmanis from the cows on bass

yeah, could very well be.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
melvins on headbangers ball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZxK5iP-5q8

melvins on some lovely tv show, that host and the audience loving suck. look at those weirdos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPaQ-1WsoG0

melvins in slovenia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHi2dq9W3M

"our biggest influence is to play something that is good"

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Dyna Soar posted:

best grunge bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q954LxEzyY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yun1IlBnDmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZVRQ3z5qE

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
cosmic psychos come from a long tradition of ozzie punk rock starting from the 70s. L7 I never got into and mudhoney are kinda boring to me.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

TAD
soundgarden up to badmotorfinger
alice in chains up to dirt
nirvana's bleach
everything melvins ever did

Can't really fault this though. Although Nevermind was good and Nirvana had a lot of really great B-sides and demos too.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

cosmic psychos come from a long tradition of ozzie punk rock starting from the 70s. L7 I never got into and mudhoney are kinda boring to me.

The Psychos are often named as the godfathers of grunge and were pretty involved in the whole scene. Most of the best grunge bands were just punk bands that happened to be around at that general place and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bill Posters posted:

The Psychos are often named as the godfathers of grunge and were pretty involved in the whole scene. Most of the best grunge bands were just punk bands that happened to be around at that general place and time.

eh, that would put a whole lot of bands that didn't have much to do with the seattle / olympia scene as grunge. i always thought of it was a geographical thing, a relatively small number of bands playing with each other and influencing each other before the whole thing imploding in the early 90s thanks to heroin and selling out.

grunge as it was was pretty much over and done with by 1992

• Locked thread