Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

reallivedinosaur posted:

looks like you all got a free lesson from the school of hard knocks

Stop posting ITT (:grin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Haha owned

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Here is ITT tech's full response. It's so loving funny, I highly recommend everybody read it. Especially about their cries that it was "unconstitutional" like they're freemen on the land

http://www.ittesi.com/2016-09-06-ITT-Educational-Services-Inc-to-Cease-Operations-at-all-ITT-Technical-Institutes-Following-Federal-Actions

The "unconstitutional" part is at the very end. It's great. Read the whole thing.

edit: if you are so lazy, please just read this part: "We believe the government's action was inappropriate and unconstitutional, however, with the ITT Technical Institutes ceasing operations, it will now likely rest on other parties to understand these reprehensible actions and to take action to attempt to prevent this from happening again.""

They even link to a Wall Street Journal that criticizes Obama for wanting to shut down for-profit colleges because he's anti business :lol:

it's true, since when has protecting americans from predatory institutions been a part of the constitution?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i think it is funny how the continual divergence of what's good for the many vs what's good for the individual will kill everyone but a handful get to live like rockstars in the meantime and when the earth is a cinder there will be no one left to care it wasn't fair

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dookifex_maximus posted:

it's true, since when has protecting americans from predatory institutions been a part of the constitution?

they are free to continue defrauding people, they just don't get federal loan money. the free market is now taking action

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

i think it is funny how the continual divergence of what's good for the many vs what's good for the individual will kill everyone but a handful get to live like rockstars in the meantime and when the earth is a cinder there will be no one left to care it wasn't fair

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao poor people getting owned

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
OP gonna get probed for posting an ITT thread

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Flowers. Am I right, guys?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
schools is for fools

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Like seriously I feel bad for the poors/retards that go to for profit colleges because they are at least trying not to be poor/retarded, but drat son how you so poor/retarded that you think going to a for profit school is a good idea??

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

s-s-s-school is no p-place f*hic*fffor smart people morty

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Nooner posted:

Like seriously I feel bad for the poors/retards that go to for profit colleges because they are at least trying not to be poor/retarded, but drat son how you so poor/retarded that you think going to a for profit school is a good idea??

Slick marketing tends to fool a lot of people in dire circumstances and slick salesman employees are able to convince people who have never set foot in a school that all these extra fees and "great" financing deals are par for the course at any school. They prey on folks that don't know any better, really.

Sure bad on them for not doing the research on the school and other schools, but it's easy to see why people fall for it. Most of these folks simply don't have a frame of reference for how a "real" college or university operates in the first place.

E: I don't meant to effort post about poo poo in GBS so tldr gently caress for profit schools forever

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

The Protagonist posted:

s-s-s-school is no p-place f*hic*fffor smart people morty

unironically this

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I mean, you hear on the radio or on the television set that you can better yourself through ITT or DeVry or whatever. And then you actually go through and finish that degree. That's pretty swell.

But unfortunately, most of these students drop out and end up in debt.

So if they finish it's swell.

But lemme tell ya - if they try to get a masters from a diploma mill well that's just finer than a fried corn cob and the whiskers of a frog split three ways. And then you scrape that corn off the cob and pluck those frog feathers and send them to gypsum creek for a reckoning. And this reckoning consists of Jebediah and Marco conflagurating the two pokes.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Iron Prince posted:

gently caress for profit schools forever

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
That's a scumbag move by the school to screw over everyone the moment the gravy train starts leaving the station.

Almost as outrageous as the government lending money for any bullshit degree an 18 y/o starry eyed child desires.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
You want a basic guaranteed income?

Alright what if we took your $60,000, bundled it together, and instead gave it to a school. So you can attend. Not for free idiot, you still have to pay full price.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i wanna do an online computer science phd at a diploma mill uni, is it worth the money???

Rambling Robot fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 7, 2016

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hey guys what if, just spitballing here but... what if capitalism didn't have a place for everyone who was born in the free world? What do we do with those without a place(job)?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Rambling Robot posted:

i wanna do a computer science degree at the university of phoenix, is it good???

Wouldn't hurt to take out a bunch of loans and find out! it is a University after all, can't beat that.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

lol and no additional oversight on state run colleges and universities charging upwards of 80,000 for worthless degrees and overpaying senior administration by hundreds of thousands. Good job department of education you got your priorities straight on this one

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Grody posted:

overpaying

what?

/ˌōv... ərˈ... pā/

I just don't follow. This is a capitalist nation, you pay yourself as much as you can afford to?

Trying to assign provided utility to pay is a fools errand, and besides what mechanism exists to even do such a thing? The State? Sounds a lot like commie talk.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Kuato posted:

Wouldn't hurt to take out a bunch of loans and find out! it is a University after all, can't beat that.

im so going to pay some people losts of $$$ to teach me over the internet. thank you sir!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
In-state tuition has doubled since I started my undergrad in '03; I didn't have such a bad deal on my worthless degree in retrospect. :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The only person I know who went to ITT did network engineering or whatever, he wired together like two buildings and five PCs on some horse farm and was REAL MAD that his experience and education couldn't get him another job then lost the rest of his money playing online poker because he "knew the methods."

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Kuato posted:

In-state tuition has doubled since I started my undergrad in '03...

you uh, you finished your undergrad since then right?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

The Protagonist posted:

you uh, you finished your undergrad since then right?

Good one Krusty!

*nodding Jeremiah Johnson*

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I worked at ITT Tech Corporate Headquarters and I have no trouble believing everything that they're accused of and more.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Kuato posted:

Good one Krusty!

*nodding Jeremiah Johnson*

My tuition doubled from when I started college to my senior year it was gay af

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

The Protagonist posted:

Hey guys what if, just spitballing here but... what if capitalism didn't have a place for everyone who was born in the free world? What do we do with those without a place(job)?

why ask why *drives a reinforced SUV over the entire problem, backs up and runs over it again*

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Grody posted:

lol and no additional oversight on state run colleges and universities charging upwards of 80,000 for worthless degrees and overpaying senior administration by hundreds of thousands. Good job department of education you got your priorities straight on this one

State-run colleges produce far fewer student defaults than for-profits, despite educating like 7 times as many students.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Durrrr lets pay for our own job training in a job market aggregator and then have an obsoleted skillset or be replaced by lovely robots duurrrrrrrrr *shits pants* What a loving Mary Kay tech pyramid scheme.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
more than 90% of lottery tickets pay jack and poo poo and more than 90% of small businesses fail in the first year so its really about that slim 2-8 percent margin

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
but man, a known assortment of billionaires are doing really well so the stock market says the economy is great

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Durrrr lets pay for our own job training in a job market aggregator and then have an obsoleted skillset or be replaced by lovely robots duurrrrrrrrr *shits pants* What a loving Mary Kay tech pyramid scheme.
Mary Kay made 2.9 billion in 2011.

That's 2521 McLaren P1's purchased by revenue alone.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
haha oh yes the common currency of the high end sports car

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
that's 2900 million dollar mcmansions!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Garcin posted:

Mary Kay made 2.9 billion in 2011.

That's 2521 McLaren P1's purchased by revenue alone.

Oh my god like a friggin woman could handle a mclaren. Come on man jeez. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
there's a number of ways to illustrate how miniscule our little lives are, my favorite way is with net worth quintiles

1st - $85bn-69bn (bill & melinda gates, 9/2016)
2nd - $68-52bn
3rd - $51-35bn
4th - $34-18bn
5th - $17bn and below

now the fun part is finding out how many times you have to expand the 5th quintile to find out what sub-quintile you're at

• Locked thread