Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Garcin posted:

I mean, you hear on the radio or on the television set that you can better yourself through ITT or DeVry or whatever. And then you actually go through and finish that degree. That's pretty swell.

But unfortunately, most of these students drop out and end up in debt.

So if they finish it's swell.

But lemme tell ya - if they try to get a masters from a diploma mill well that's just finer than a fried corn cob and the whiskers of a frog split three ways. And then you scrape that corn off the cob and pluck those frog feathers and send them to gypsum creek for a reckoning. And this reckoning consists of Jebediah and Marco conflagurating the two pokes.

every time i see a resume that lists a masters from strayer i lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I always knew ITT, and schools like it, were on the shady side, but I'm certainly glad I skipped over a job posting at one of the locations in favor of focusing on internships and coursework.

Iron Prince posted:

I know this is a lot of :words: just to say what we already know. It pisses me off to see these fake rear end schools scam money from people who are legitimately trying to bring themselves up from nothing into something, as I'm sure it does all of us.

For profit unis are definitely awful, predatory scams. I know a few people that, luckily, dodged the bullet of ITT and ended getting into degree programs that suited their interests at local CCs or state schools. For a lot of people, though, the promises offered by schools like ITT make it easy to get tunnel vision and ignore the facts these programs. Considering how much negativity currently surrounds more traditional degree programs, it's even easier to see how these schools can fleece customers so easily.

Hopefully the collapse of ITT serves as a warning to other for profits and a wake up call to those that were potentially eying other dodgy institutions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Serious Frolicking posted:

rich white people only get prosecuted for fraud if they hosed over other rich white people.

I actually worked very briefly for Stanford Financial Group, like a year before Allen Stanford himself and a number of others in his employ were put in prison :) From the first day I walked in it was blatantly obvious "oh hey this is a money laundering operation" and I quit after about a week.

e: worked in the main office, shook hands with the big prison inmate himself

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. 47 posted:

On the fourth I was in a fire, and spent most of the night in the hospital. I took off Monday and Tuesday on the advice of a doctor, and then was let go Friday.

Isn't this very very very illegal? Or do you live in Mississippi or something? Serious question.

Mr. 47 posted:

. The Consumer Protection Bureau was on us for false advertising.

I CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) is actually a pretty recent thing. They have been doing an awesome job of cracking down on stuff like this and shady mortgage servicers. Is it the type of government entity that could be completely gutted or shut down as Ted Cruz has been claiming he promises to do? Or is it not that type of government branch and is pretty much going to be there forever?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
should shut down more colleges

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
"non profit is a tax status, not a business model"

which is why all the non profit schools make a lot of money, the difference is they'll teach whatever the government/their donors want them to teach. Because who cares they're gettin paaaaid

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

Closing the schools is a good first step, now let's see the responsible parties prosecuted for massive fraud.

ahahahhahaha

http://nypost.com/2015/05/19/family-spent-187m-raised-by-bogus-cancer-charities-feds/

Zero people went to jail for stealing money from children dying from cancer. The father nor the son are facing even probation, let alone jail. They weren't even arrested.

You're in a dream world man!

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Isn't this very very very illegal? Or do you live in Mississippi or something? Serious question.

I wasn't fired for being in a fire. That was just a coincidence. I was laid off along with seven or eight other people as part of a plan that had been set before the fire.

quote:

I CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) is actually a pretty recent thing. They have been doing an awesome job of cracking down on stuff like this and shady mortgage servicers. Is it the type of government entity that could be completely gutted or shut down as Ted Cruz has been claiming he promises to do? Or is it not that type of government branch and is pretty much going to be there forever?

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is recent, yes. But the Consumer Protection Bureau (under the Federal Trade Commission) has been around since 1914. So the CFPB was really one of those government entities based on an idea that a bunch of politicians and bureaucrats stole, duplicated at the expense of the taxpayer, and then bragged about on their campaign mailers. So probably the kind that will be there forever.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

c*ck c*ck im g*y posted:

ahahahhahaha

http://nypost.com/2015/05/19/family-spent-187m-raised-by-bogus-cancer-charities-feds/

Zero people went to jail for stealing money from children dying from cancer. The father nor the son are facing even probation, let alone jail. They weren't even arrested.

dude that's a tabloid

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

looking forward to Full Sail University getting tanked

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

dude that's a tabloid

uh ok? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_cancer_charities

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ARt is the only unseflish thing humans do so it makes perfect sense there's a system disguised as education that bilks children out of their income for the first 8 or 10 years out of "school"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ding dong the witch is dead.

It's amazing that these for profit schools have the stones to charge what they do for their fake degrees. You could get a real one at an actually accredited school for a quarter of what these shmucks charge.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
How is it that schools without accreditation are allowed to operate in the first place? Why do we, as a people, tolerate this?

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Fortunately, with the closure of ITT, there are still options for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Not if you are in Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/everest-college-shut-down-in-ontario-14-schools-closed-1.2963307

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

interwhat posted:

I went for culinary, the one with more jobs and also having a few years experience. They of course don't tell you you'll never make enough to cover your loans.

legit question: why not just start as a dishwasher?

I really couldn't ever fathom the people I worked with who went to AI and shelled out tens of thousands for culinary when all you gotta do is find a smaller restaurant and bust rear end until they promote you to prep then line.

I guess you'd need it for immediate entry into fine dining but gently caress that noise (and no fine dining place worth its salt is hiring a scrub right outta school to be on the line anyway).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 7, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cuck cuck im gay posted:

ahahahhahaha

also those people should be strung up

honk honk

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

interwhat posted:

Can they do this with the Art Institues now please?

Oh gently caress yeah. There's only one legit Art Institute, and it's the Art Institute of Chicago and it's not a school, it's an educational museum. There is an accredited art school connected to the Art Institute of Chicago, but they ended up changing their name to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago or SAIC to avoid being roped in with the for-profit Art Institutes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ITT ITT ITT (is truly terrible)

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I went to ITT for the most preliminary of interviews and the guy that interviewed me personally called me every day for the next two months to try and recruit me

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
fart institute

lol

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Well the world needs ditch diggers.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I went to ITT for the most preliminary of interviews and the guy that interviewed me personally called me every day for the next two months to try and recruit me

so

did you bone?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tricky D posted:

How is it that schools without accreditation are allowed to operate in the first place? Why do we, as a people, tolerate this?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Even in capitalism, we demand services to be licensed and accredited (layers, doctors, engineers), but for profit schools get a pass somehow.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dept of Ed keeps saying you can transfer your credits with a straight face. Who's taking them now? Is there a non-ITT sponsored list somewhere?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tricky D posted:

Um, excuse me, sir, but I believe you will find that all men are created equal and able to use their sufficient reason to enter into binding contracts which reflect their best interests.

Oh what's that? They entered into a contract with imperfect knowledge or were misled?

:smug: heh. Well I guess some are more equal than others. I'm sure the free market will even out those peculiar edge, cases.

Darth123123 posted:

Dept of Ed keeps saying you can transfer your credits with a straight face. Who's taking them now? Is there a non-ITT sponsored list somewhere?
I'm sure the local CC will take your algebra credit, or whatever generic math they offered.

They probably won't give a toss about your "Basics of Infomatics 1" specialty classes, though they may be nice and give the students nonspecific credit hours for some of them.

As in, "Hey, we can't actually give you credit for the 4 levels of Welding that you took, but how's 10 Units of electives sound?"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I *think* the DoE is negotiating with local community colleges to take the credits where they normally would not.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Tricky D posted:

Probably because you don't know what accreditation is until you've been in the system for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc&t=22s

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

notZaar posted:

How do you know they are rich white people? Sounds like you're just assuming.

there is that fancy college fag talk we talked about

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. 47 posted:

I wasn't fired for being in a fire. That was just a coincidence. I was laid off along with seven or eight other people as part of a plan that had been set before the fire.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is recent, yes. But the Consumer Protection Bureau (under the Federal Trade Commission) has been around since 1914. So the CFPB was really one of those government entities based on an idea that a bunch of politicians and bureaucrats stole, duplicated at the expense of the taxpayer, and then bragged about on their campaign mailers. So probably the kind that will be there forever.

u mean the Federal Trade Commission, numbnuts?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Iron Prince posted:

Hey, if you want to PM me about Mandarin, feel free. I'm by no means fully fluent... yet. But I can tell you about some unexpected hurdles you might face in your early time spent with the language having gone through that extreme pain myself recently. If you don't want to talk to me directly (fair enough) check out SA's own fairly great Chinese thread. Lot of very advanced students and fluent speakers there, and PM'ing a lot of them helped me get off the ground as I learn. Practically worth my tenbux alone for that thread.

Domo arigato mr irono princo! :)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I hate yankees posted:

every time i see a resume that lists a masters from strayer i lol

Strayer is actually accredited, at least. I know people who could even transfer credits from there to better schools.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

I *think* the DoE is negotiating with local community colleges to take the credits where they normally would not.

How? There are literally thousands.

Also, my company runs 18004fedaid. Lol our agents today. We also built the system for school participation in
Federal aid for FSA.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

How? There are literally thousands.

Also, my company runs 18004fedaid. Lol our agents today. We also built the system for school participation in
Federal aid for FSA.

idk man they were able to shoot an email to all ITT Tech students I'm sure they can figure out how to contact major schools in various areas with their more than 4000 employees lol

for example in CA all you'd have to do is contact the Cal State administrative offices, not each individual school

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

u mean the Federal Trade Commission, numbnuts?

Mr. 47 posted:

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is recent, yes. But the Consumer Protection Bureau (under the Federal Trade Commission) has been around since 1914.

Read, then post.

Mr. 47 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 7, 2016

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. 47 posted:

Read, then post.

you can't tell me what to do (((elitist))) snob

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

you can't tell me what to do (((elitist))) snob

I'm pretty sure I just did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr. 47 posted:

I'm pretty sure I just did.

rude

• Locked thread