Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: +0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Coffee Shop of DOOM

Whisperwind nods and makes polite conversation (he used to be from a noble family, after all!), until the talking finally starts to die down.

"Hey. Thanks for the coffee. And the delightful chat." He hands over the money for the coffee, and a little tip too.

"See you around later. But I really have to go and check those people have not wrecked the place where I'm supposed to live."

And with that, Whisperwind took the elevator back up, taking the precious few seconds the device rose through the floors thinking up plans to get back on his opposition. When he approached the door, he took a few moments, and listened. Listened to the words spoken, searching for the faded whispers of what was said in the past. It did not take him long.

Such arrogance from those two. Perhaps they needed to be taught a lesson. An expertly crafted lie should do the trick...

As Breaking Point and Omega were exchanging knowing glances, a third voice joined in.

"Haha."

"Objections? No, nothing in particular, no. I guess we can make that work."

"Well, actually, maybe one thing..." He turns to face Breaking Point, "Listening to you, I almost got the impression that you thought I was not present? Well, that's not true. I've been here all along. Did you not notice?"

"Haha."

"See, for the sake of all our security, I object to having to trust someone who apparently fails to realize that all the fancy toys in the world don't mean anything if they are attached to a vapid airhead with no situational awareness. Just looking out for the group you see?"

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: Nevertheless, Provoking BP (+1 for influence)
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+1 = 10

Provoking you into admitting you CLEAR FAULTS. In that make an honest outburst giving Whisperweed some credence whilst casting doubt into your greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: 0
Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: None | Location: BRANCH Penthouse

Expatriot is the Mastermind.
Phantom Thief gains Influence over Expatriot for Seconding her plan.
The Plan Pool: 1 (+1 Born to Lead, +0 the Mastermind does not have Influence over everyone involved)

“This peek-a-boo poo poo is getting old, Whisper.” Expatriot growled at the room in general, “Sit your rear end in a chair and get visible. I don’t want to have to guess if you know the plan.”

As if to highlight the point, she pressed a map of New Genesis onto the coffee table in the living room, since that seemed to be where everyone had gravitated. Parts of the map dangled off of the narrow table, but the red line that indicated the train she apparently favored was prominently displayed.

“Alright, a four o’ clock striking time narrows down our options a bit. Five really would’ve been better for this scheme, we’d have gotten more business men heading home to the ‘burbs.” And less kids on their way home from school, though she didn’t voice that thought. Instead, she paused to brush her long, ash blonde hair back over her shoulder, sighing in apparently annoyance at not having the optimal window for success. “Well, it is what it is.”

“Fortunately, the set-up is fairly simple.” She said, taking out a red pen and marking X’s at various points around the loop, “We can get out tonight to lay the explosives.” She said, more and more X’s appearing with sharp jots of her wrist, “It’s going to be more than we need, obviously. The point is less to use them to derail the train, and more to ensure that whatever heroes show up will be more busy dealing with them than us. Our threat to blow the rails at the first sign of opposition should be terrifyingly easy to envision.” She paused a moment, outlining one particular X with a box, “This charge is the most important. Once we have control of the monorail, we blow this connection and divert onto the loop. That should make a big show to alert people that something is up.”

She reached over and grabbed a laptop and set it to the side on the table, tapping away for a second and turning the screen towards the group. Another benefit of going after a civilian train instead of a giant robot was that the schematics were nowhere near as difficult to get your hands on.

“The bigger problem is that I don’t want to rely wholly on software to lock the conductor out of the controls. If we can remotely take it, another hero can try and recover it remotely. I want to insert some hardware to give Anarchy.exe her in, make them work for it.” she tapped a point on the lead car, “This maintenance port will give us access to the lines we need to reroute control to. Getting at it while the train is in motion is basically the hard part of this equation.”

“This point.” She said, circling the corner of a building that overlooked the tracks, “Is the best place to insert anyone who isn’t infiltrating via the passenger cars. The train has to slow to make this turn here, and the track runs close enough to the building to make it an easy jump.” She glanced up, looking over the group for a moment to see if anyone would balk at such a maneuver. It’d be easy for her maybe, and Breaking Point could fly, but she didn’t claim to know how physically adept her compatriots were.

“I would like,” she paused, to emphasize she was willing to accept some pushback on this, “Anarchy.exe and K’lyathi to collaborate on making the control hack. Anarchy.exe needs to be able to control it, but we’ll need K’lyathi’s nanoconstruction abilities to get it built to spec in the time available to us. I’ll insert via the roof, make my way to the front of the train, and install it while in motion.”

“Of course, if you two don’t want to work together, I suppose I could punch in the front windshield and just take the cab by force.” She glanced over at Netherwrath figuring, if nothing else, she’d like the sound of Plan B.

[19:11] <JusticeGrieves> Okay. Here we go, be kind to me, Dice.
[19:11] <JusticeGrieves> Crafting a Scheme (Superior)
[19:11] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[19:11] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 5+2 = 7
[19:11] <jimmydalad> lol
[19:11] <jimmydalad> could be worse
[19:12] <JusticeGrieves> That is not kind, but I'll take it

Add 1 to the Plan Pool (Pool is now at 2). I will … Exhaust my Arsenal. It’s a
lot of bombs.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fre: +2 | Dan: +2 | Tro: -1 | Sup: +0 | Men: +0
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: BRANCH Penthouse

Marking Angry, and the Plan point goes to the garbage.

Emotional compensators overloaded. Engaging fight or flight protocols.

NEW DIRECTIVE: DESTROY WHISPERWIND

Naomi's eyes turned red. Literally. Killer robot red. Scenes of previous Whisperwind provocations roared through her mind as the thrusters on her battle fists roared to life. She blitzed in front of the irritant and a giant fist crashed towards his face. For a moment, she could see the reflection of his impending demise in his eyes. A split-second before Whisperwind became a fine red mist on the far wall of the penthouse, the retro-thrusters engaged and her fist screeched to a halt with mere millimeters to spare. The air pressure did a perfectly fine job of sending him flying head-over-completely-aggravating-heels into the wall.

Her eyes faded back to their normal slightly-less-red hue as vents opened and engaged on her arms to disperse the heat. A smirk crossed her artificial face as she looked at the pile of Whisperwind in the corner, quickly replaced by an expression of clearly fake concern. "Oh my, I forget you're so fragile. I do hope you won't be a hindrance on our hijacking, Whisperwind."

quote:

[11:49:42] <Tricky> Directly engaging an idiot that pissed off a giant robot :v
[11:49:45] <Yamifenrir> you don't need to roll unless it's dangerous/hasty situations
[11:49:46] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+3
[11:49:48] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 12+3 =

Impressing/Frightening/Surprising Whisperwind; Creating an opportunity.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 10, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Elisabeth looked somberly up at the ceiling, closing her eyes for a moment. There was a heavy, lead ball rolling around the pit of her stomach. The kind of weight that only came from regret. She remembered, with startling clarity, that she had willingly chosen to associate herself with these people professionally. It was probably the greatest example of why she should stay away from alcohol that she’d ever encountered … though somehow, she saw a great deal more drinking in her future.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Freak: +3 | Danger: 0 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: -1
Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions:

Unfortunately, Whisperweed decided to make his return at this point. So much for her wishful thinking. At least by this point, Whisperweed decided to focus his attention on Breaking Point rather than herself. What a relief. K'lyathi didn't want another incident like the one that happened before. She already had lost control of her emotions once today and she didn't want to have to lose control of them again. Especially since it would mean having to listen to Expatriot whinge.

On the topic of Expatriot, she decided to drill the group about the plan. K'lyathi did her best to look interested, even if it was just so boring. Still, the plan wasn't too bad. In fact, there were quite a few positives she could take. For one thing, she got to spend time with Anarchy.exe, who while incoherent, shared an appreciation for technology. Maybe she was too hard on her before. She didn't look particularly happy with her. Then again, she was so focused on Whisperweed. At least it seemed like the plan involved him being far away from her.

K'lyathi bolted up in her seat as Breaking Point lost control and punched him hard. A gleeful giggle escaped her lips as she watched his figure smash into the wall. She gave Breaking Point a thumbs up, something which she had learned was an expression of good faith. Anyone who was willing to do that to Whisperweed deserved at least a little praise. Additionally, she took the opportunity to get her nanobots to work. A few from her throne scuttled off surreptitiously, doing their best to avoid detection from the others, and succeeded in settling themselves inside of Whisperweed's brain.

"I am fine with that plan. It will be nice to spend time with someone who has as much of an appreciation for technology as myself." K'lyathi stated, giving Anarchy a disjointed smile. She was still not 100% used to human expressions.

<jimmydalad> Yep, gonna roll Contagin on whisperwind since K'lyathi can see him splattered against the wall
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 8+3 = 11
Welp, I have influence again

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Hmph!" Anarchy sticks out her chin and smiles confidently, in response to Breaking Point's previous ribbing. "Frail meat-based nature?! I'm a citizen of CYBERSPACE! Petty little matters of flesh and bone are of NO CONCERN for-"

She is cut off by the utterly shocking act of violence that happens in front of her. Her jaw drops wide open, and she just stares blankly for a moment. Than she shrinks back and giggles nervously."Or... Uh, what was I saying?" Ha ha ha... ha... Nevermind."

"Ummmm... ANYWAY!" Anarchy hops forward and smiles, returning quickly to her usual level of energy. "You want a hardware-driven control override box? No problem! Especially..."

Anarchy pivots towards K'lyathi and starts flailing her arms around excitedly. "When I'm working with my BEST SPACE FRIEND, KAY-LYA!"

Giggling like a hyena. she stomps her feet on the ground repeatedly. And then she even somehow returns a bigger, brighter version of K'lyathi's weird smile.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 10, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Well, clearly everyone has memorized the plan and has no further questions.” Elisabeth said, sounding more tired than angry at the moment. She pushed herself up to her feet and picked her jacket back up from where she’d laid it across the back of the couch when they’d first settled in to work out the nitty gritty details. She checked her watch briefly before shrugging on the jacket again, moving to her bag and pulling out her mask before tucking it into the inside of her jacket and zipping it up high.

“I’m going to head out and lay the groundwork before the sun is out.” She said, mostly just eager to wash her hands of whatever was coming next. She needed some air … and some quiet. She paused and considered the latticework of nanomachines that had Omega had used to barricade the door, looking it up and down once. She idly considered trying to put a fist through it and opening the door by force, but instead gestured to the obstruction while glancing back.

“K’lyathi, if you would be so kind as to remove this for me?” she asked, dialing back the aggro a bit. Let them chew on Whisperwind a bit, it would give them a chance to vent some stress, and it might just teach him to rein it in.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 10, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Anarchy seemed to be not unhappy to be paired up with K'lyathi. Then again, she's Anarchy. K'lyathi had no idea how a crazy girl like her thought, even if she had nanomachines inside her. At least she had the sense to know when to stop talking unlike certain people who were splattered against the wall. At least this way he might actually learn a lesson about not pissing off the robot with giant fists.

"Oh, is that still up?" K'lyathi tilted her head slightly in mock confusion. "I guess I'll just deal with that."

The nanobot blockade fell apart instantly and scurried their way back to K'lyathi. The creatures just seemed to slip into her with no problem whatsoever. In any case, she was growing bored with the throne. Jumping off it, the throne stood strong for a second before melting onto the floor as the nanobots that made up its structure made their way back inside her, though a few more of them were dispersed around the safehouse.

"Now then, is there anything we need to do? Maybe repair the wall that Whisperweed has oh so kindly splat himself on?"

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Elisabeth watched as the layers of interconnected microscopic machines peeled themselves apart, layers of crystalline structure rapidly cannibalizing themselves and dissolving into grains of fine silt which moved obediently back towards their mistress. She raised an eyebrow slightly, tracking the flow of tiny machines, as they swam around and over her legs, but she didn’t comment.

“Thank you.” She said levelly, choosing to ignore the alien’s smugness for the moment. The knob turned easily in her hand and she opened the door, breezing easily into the hallway.

“I’ll leave that to your discretion, so long as you don’t destroy the place.” She answered the last question reflexively, not knowing if it was really directed towards her in the first place. She let the door close behind her and strode out into the hotel’s hall, pushing her hands into her jacket pockets once again and started making her way for the elevator.

Dimly, she considered that she’d just left her personal belongings out where anyone could look through them, and had pretty much resigned herself to whatever room assignments the others settled on. She rolled her eyes and hunched her shoulders with a grunt. Whatever, she’d work it out somehow, even if it meant sleeping on the couch. Assuming the place ever quieted down to the point where she could sleep.

She pressed the call button for the elevator and pulled out a pair of earbuds, trying to find what isolation there was to be had in a city like New Genesis.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Afraid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Marking Afraid

How? These people kept seeing through his guise as if it wasn't there. Was it completely impotent against them? How could he possibly stand against a giant robot with his only trump card completely worthless? For a moment, Wisperwind felt truly terrified, but that feeling quickly calmed down to a more manageable, clammy fear.

...Well, he'd come up with other measures. For now, better to stay away from the crazy robot.

Whisperwind looked up from the floor, his illusionary face still keeping that same grin, even though it might be fairly safe to assume his real one did not mirror it.

"Hah-" He coughs a bit, almost too faintly to be heard at all, "-a."

He rises to his feet, but makes no attempt to get closer to the table, leaning to the wall instead.

"Isn't that so much like you Naomi. Just no control over your temper at all."

"Haha."

"Way to prove me right."

Your opportunity is that Whisperweed is momentarily doubtful of the efficacy of his own powers, so double down on insults or something :v:. Whether or not that is something you actively realize, I leave up to you, even though Whisper as a rogue is fairly good at hiding his ~true self~.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Everyone

Now done with planning, you get ready for the Caper each in the own way. Soon, night falls, and it's time to lay the groundwork for the job!

Operation Nano-Cooties on a Train is GO. (Goddamnit, who let Whisperwind name this thing!?)

You're now all in the position to execute the first step of the plan. Ex-Patriot, describe the scene. Already, something is not quite going according to plan - what, exactly?

Each one of you has managed to acquire/build/whatever sort of advantage that will SURELY allow you to stand in the spotlight, and therefore be the most infamous of the alliance. What is it?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +0 | Sup: -1 | Men: +2
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None

The plan seemed solid, not that Netherwrath really knew nor cared much about plans. It was about doing damage and getting attention, and Netherwrath knew that regardless of whether things went the way they were supposed to, she could do both with ease. Still, a train hijacking required a lot of mobility, and while she could jump hella high, her long-distance precision left a lot to be desired. If for whatever reason she had to get back on a fast-moving train, it'd be a huge pain.

Fortunately, she had a plan. The Brotherhood of Agrhim, before Anarchy's little hacking stunt led to their violent dissolution at Netherwrath's hand, had been experts in binding demonic entities to inanimate objects, and before bailing, she had grabbed a little 'souvenir'. Sure, a demonically possessed motorcycle might not be particularly docile, but it seemed to be terrified of Netherwrath's own demonic energies and thus very cooperative. Which was a good thing, because Netherwrath didn't know how to drive. But gently caress, could she make an entrance with this!

I call it MONGO!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: None | Location: New Genesis Rooftops

New Genesis. From up here, you could see the city spread out like a field of concrete, steel, and glass in every direction. Shimmering towers stood in close formation as if they could shoulder out the chaos of the rest of the world, their immaculate grid formation mathematically calculated without a single element daring to stick out too far. It looked less like a city where people lived, and more like a model arranged by an obsessive compulsive, kept immaculate by the ceaseless work of an army of tiny automated cleaners. Passive, inoffensive, sterile, it was a city that claimed to have no past, and gave the impression that it would remain the same in perpetuity.

Maybe from the ground level it was relaxing, but from up here? It reminded her too much of where she was born, like someone took the idea of a hospital and stretched it out over eighty three miles. There was an itch in the back of her head; she kind of wanted to smash it open on general principle, just to break the pattern.

Standing under a slight overhang, the red visor covering her eyes burned with a hateful red light as she checked the watch on her wrist. If there was any consolation, the city’s meticulous planning meant that the trains and busses always ran on schedule. If only everything could go so neatly to plan.

Thunder cracked overhead, dark gray clouds rolling angrily in the sky. Heavy, driving rain hammered against the city streets, creating a constant drumming patter in the air. It wasn’t as though she hadn’t checked the weather reports when she’d been outlining their plan, Sam had taught her to be too diligent to miss something so simple. No, there was a chemical fire elsewhere in the city, down by the docks, and Rainmaker had been one of the first heroes on the scene. This rain was meant to keep the fire from spreading, but, of course, the shaman’s weather manipulation was about as accurate as it ever was. Expatriot would’ve laid good odds that the chemical fire was another distraction team’s work. The timing was too good.

It was a problem for her though. The downpour pushed people out of the streets, reduced foot traffic, limited the risk of collateral damage. It also made the prospect of jumping onto a moving train significantly more sketchy, but they couldn’t scrub the mission without leaving the main heist’s crew in a lurch. It would also limit their visibility, making it that little bit harder to fend off interfering heroes, though they might be able to work it to their advantage in the escape. They’d just have to adapt and overcome, it was too late to change the plan.

She pulled the white cable running from her mask’s ear cover to her pocket, the strumming guitar of The Last Internationle’s “Wanted Man” dying abruptly as she keyed her comms unit to the team’s encrypted signal.

“Five minutes until operation.” She said, hoping it cut through whatever chicanery the rest of the team had stirred up while they’d had time to kill, “Sound off, is everyone in position?”

She checked the straps on the harness she was wearing so she could secure herself properly to the train once she was in position, a few hard jerks reassuring her that it would hold during phase two if it had to. She checked the heavy backpack with the device she’d asked for, giving it a last minute once-over to ensure everything was as it had been when K’lyathi had shown her what she needed to hook up to where. She’d stretched her resources just getting this job set up, there wasn’t anything particularly outstanding about her equipment loadout. That was fine though, she was worried more about performing the objective and getting the team out in one piece than bolstering her reputation.

Well. Maybe she had made one concession to the new team. She’d practically been a plain clothes villain before, the only real splash of color the jacket she’d taken with her when she’d left her father’s influence. She’d talked to YGGDRASIL about updating her look a bit. The new jacket sported an armored microweave so that it could take more punishment without getting damaged in the field. They’d also embossed a simple icon on the upper back for her, a five-pointed star against the blue material that had fractured with the right point falling off, red and white panels marking the flanks.

Of course, the Red Scare had advised her towards getting something a bit more involved. Something about establishing her brand. The reversible jacket and mask were enough to qualify as a costume to her though, and more importantly they could be carried around discretely when she wasn’t “on the job”. She’d seen enough assassins sipping wine while wearing gaudy catsuits when she’d been on the other side of the law, she’d rather have pockets.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 11, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Afraid | Location: Train ride of DOOM

"So, boss", Whisperwind airs from some forgotten corner of the train via the communicators, having just boarded. "Any word from the help yet? I've got it on good authority that they should be some grade A, well at least grade A- goons. Doubt they would have ruined everything just yet."

"Haha."

And indeed, it was true. Whisperwind had managed to pull some strings, maybe even literal ones seeing how he fondled that little knotted loop around his fingers, and gotten the train infiltrated by a number of YGGDRASIL goons in civilian clothing. They stood ready to give advance info and perform actions as per orders.

"Any info you'd want to relay? Thanks."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 10, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: The Skies Above!

Breaking Point soared through the skies above the train, reveling in the additional mobility and ranged armaments that the experimental Striker Pack granted her. The chameleon plating should keep her out of sight until the fireworks started. A barrel roll to the left, then to the right. Maneuvering thrusters: check. She opened up the additional weapons mounts. Acceptable, but there was a hint of hesitation. Something for the techs to look at after the mission. Otherwise? All systems nominal. She keyed her comm system, "I'm in position on overwatch. No signs of hostile presence. Ready to engage first-responders and run interference."

She was looking forward to this. It would be so satisfying to blast a few heroes.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Ready!" Anarchy calls out over the radio. Her voice echoes quite a bit, presumably due to the acoustics of wherever she is. It sounds like someplace cramped and with hard surfaces. "You got the thing, right?"

This morning, Anarchy was struck with a small dilemma. Should she infiltrate the train, or should she jump onto it? Walking onto the train did seem a lot easier jumping, especially after Ex-P explained how much gear you're supposed to have to do a proper jump. But infiltrating means going incognito! Wearing a disguise! Sure, some people might be able to just walk onto a packed train unnoticed, but not her?! No way!

And let's not forget! Today's a special day! Today Anarchy's going to be on camera! Her lovely face is going to be broadcast to the whole city! Maybe even the whole country! Or the world! This is not a day where she can just look mundane!And forget just wearing a disguise and ripping it off at the last moment! What if something goes WRONG?! What if her real clothes get all wrinkled under her disguise? What if her hat ends up crooked? What if something goes wrong with her makeup? Would her makeup even work with a disguise?!

So what's why she ended up infiltrating early. A whole hour early, even. Today, at three, she boarded this monorail as boring meatspace denizen, Ann Hanekawa. Just a normal person, with normal looks, and a huge-as-heck backpack. But that's something that young people just have these days, right? To hold all that junk that millennials like. Like phones and organic food and blogs and stuff. But in Ann's case, this bag happened to contain all the gear she would need that day.

It was full of the essential things, of course, like her costume, make up, and all the things she needed to look right. And today looking right would be especially important, so she made sure to take her time. Gotta look coordinated, but also out of order. But not out of order in the wrong way! Perfectly disheveled in a completely natural-looking away that can only come from lots of care! Definitely not a look that could just be thrown together!

So one course of action presented itself. If Ann wanted to properly become Anarchy, she'd need plenty of time to change, a place where nobody would see her so she wouldn't blow her cover, and a mirror so she could make sure she gets her look done right. And so that's why she snuck aboard the train early and hid herself in one of the lavatories. And this is where she is currently stuck until the caper actually starts.

Sprawled out in front of her on the tiny bathroom counter is her collection of portable hacking gear. Oh, what would she even do if she left it at home! Actually, she'd totally be able to improvise something from whatever junk's lying around but it would be so EMBARRASING if she forgot! Plus the plan kind of depended on her, and it'd be a huge hassle!

But there was one special thing she brought with her -- a thing which now hovers idly in the air of the cramped lavatory that she'd been getting ready in. It's a miniature flying quadcopter, equipped with a fancy camera and autonomous broadcasting equipment. Because, of course, what is a celebrity without her audience?! How can this city be terrorized by it's most charismatic up-and-coming villain if they can't even see her properly?! Sure, there might be cameras around, but do you expect Anarchy dot ee-ex-ee to settle for simple, grainy security camera and cell phone footage?! What if they film it veritcally?!

So she brought her own solution, one that should be able to capture the action and drama of the train hijacking perfectly. And show it to the world at large.

"Heh heh heh," Anarchy chuckles and pets the little quadcopter. The tiny propeller blades nick her fingers a little bit, but don't do any real damage. "We're gonna be famous."

There's a loud knocking on the door. "Are you DONE in there?!" A very annoyed voice yells from the other side. "Who are you even talking to?!"

"SHUT UP!" Anarchy yells back.

"Are you on the phone?!" The person on the other side bangs even louder on the door. "How long are you are you gonna stay in there?!"

"SHUT! UP!!" Anarchy pushes the toilet lever with her foot, causing the noise of flushing water to drown out the conversation for a short moment. "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 11, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ok, maybe she probably wasn't paying as much attention as she should've to the plan that Expatriot suggested. She assumed that she'd be able to hack the device from a far distance away and not need to be on the train. It wasn't her fault that Expatriot was so boring that she didn't listen to the part about how the maintenance port was on the train. Why couldn't humans make machines in a way that would be more convenient for herself?

In preparation, K'lyathi had already seeded most of the train with her nanomachines. She made a strong effort to stealthily disperse them throughout the train as she made her way up to the lead car. Alongside that, thanks to the materials provided by BRANCH, she had developed a new kind of technology, one that aided with the more stealth-focused aspect of the mission. They came in the form of small cubes that fitted inside her pocket and once she had inserted her nanomachines, the cube would expand and eventually take shape of a humanoid robot with simple capacities including lasers, full 360-degree rotation, and jetpacks. If she had more time, she knew she would've been able to add more features, but they would do for now she supposed.

Still, K'lyathi wasn't happy. She hated trains. They were so inefficient, cramped and claustrophobic. They moved so slowly and she vastly preferred just having her nanomachines be built into a jetpack so she could fly around. In comparison to that feeling of wind blowing over her, being on a train was like being stuffed into a bun and shoved into an oven. The number of putrid humans only increasingly contributed to the heat of the car and she could feel the sweat on her face dripping off her.

In the human form she disgusted so much, K'lyathi sat on the train, looking increasingly discomforted the longer she sat there. Why couldn't she just be with the others who weren't on the train? Oh yeah, she needed to help Anarchy. So she was stuck in an environment she didn't like surrounded by humans that disgusted her and feeling cramped due to the number of people that were on the train. She rolled her eyes just as Expatriot got on the communicator.

"K'l- I mean, Omega reporting in for- H-hey, what do you think you're looking at!?"

That was not something K'lyathi had anticipated. The people on the train were giving her odd looks as she talked into her communication device. She hadn't really made much effort to hide it and its odd form was certain to attract a little attention. Additionally, she had spoken quite loudly into the device. As both things brought more unwanted attention to her, K'lyathi felt like a million eyes were on her and that realization only caused her to feel more flustered.

"Do you have nothing else good to look at? Just go focus on whatever you were doing before!" Why were humans so nosy? She tried to tell them to leave her alone, but that only encouraged them to focus on her even more. Did they not understand basic orders? Looks of confusion started spreading around the car as now everyone was focusing on her. Worry started to spread through her. What was she supposed to do? She didn't want to be the one to ruin the plan. She was so much better than that. Now that everyone was staring at the eccentric girl on the seat, K'lyathi was more discreet and quiet about communicating to Expatriot.

"Expatriot, these humans won't stop looking at me. I'm in human form and I tried to tell them to leave me alone, but that just caused more people to pay attention to me. Is this going to mess up the plan? What am I supposed to do to get them to mind their own business?" Though K'lyathi tried to maintain her composure, a tinge of desperation and worry was present. Her eyes moved around erratically as she tried to come up with a solution.

Welp, looks like it's time for K'lyathi to Meddle with the plan.

You learn quickly the hard way that you’ve got a lot to learn about keeping a low profile. Ask them what kind of complication you suffer due to this, and what you still have to learn. If you follow this lesson, take +1 forward to do so, and mark Curses!

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 11, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“No warning from the support team. One day, I’m going to have to ask you to tell me how you convinced so many people to knowingly ride on a rail with this much explosive packed onto it, Whisperwind.” She said, ignoring for a moment that members of her own team were doing much the same, “Just make sure they understand that they’re on crowd control, and not to break cover and draw weapons unless necessary. I want to keep any capes that show up focused on us.”

Expatriot stepped out from under the overhang and out into the driving rain, lifting the bag up onto her shoulders and securing it firmly. As soon as she did, it soaked through her clothes and matted the ashen hair to her head. The mask, of course, was impassive. It showed no trace of the annoyed curl of her lip, or the way she’d briefly closed her eyes and breathed in to brace herself for the shock of cold. Her boots kicked up high splashes of watch as she marched her way to the edge of the roof, bracing a boot against the lip and leaning forward to look over at the track.

“Copy that, ‘The Thing’ is secured.” She said, allowing herself a bit of a smile as Anarchy.exe got in a brief shouting match with some poor soul on the monorail. Alright, she had to admit that she could be entertaining … so long as she was pointed at someone else.

Expatriot suppressed a sigh as Omega checked in, her HUD trying and failing to track Breaking Point through the cloud cover overhead, even given her foreknowledge of her flight path. That strike package they’d installed on her core frame was doing an impressive job, even compared to what Expatriot was accustomed to.

“Relax, Omega. You are not compromised.” She assured her, despite the fact that she couldn’t see into the train, “Most humans involved in public transit are trying to get through the experience with as little interaction as possible. Just treat them like someone else’s particularly rude servant: avoid eye contact, don’t acknowledge them, and everything should be fine. Still, try to remember to subvocalize when using the communicator under public scrutiny.”

“Whisper, get a support agent near Omega to double-check the passengers near her. Flag anyone texting or trying to get a call out, we’ll try and jam them just to be on the safe side. Either that, or work some of your magic to get them to write it off if you’re close enough.” She said. It’d be a moot point once the alien nanomachines were doing their thing, but she’d rather not tip her hand prematurely.

“Just hang on a few more minutes, Omega.” She said calmly, “Focus on what’s coming. Soon you’ll be able to shed that disgusting disguise, and it won’t matter what they think because they’ll be loaded up on nanomachines and under your sway. I’m counting on you to keep these passengers placid and controllable, so keep your head.”

When others meddle in your plots…it’s your turn to decide whether they are expendable or valuable, as everything is defined in those terms, are they not? If you decide they are valuable to you, add Plan to the pool. If they are expendable, clear any Influence they have over you.

Omega is (currently) Valuable, so, add +1 to the Plan Pool. I believe that puts the pool at 3, assuming my Cooking Up A Scheme roll still counts.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +2 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: New Genesis streets

Arsène sat on a low rooftop near the bend In the tracks where, according to Expatriot, the monorail would slow fown enough to let them jump aboard. The building was a used cars salesman, so he felt safe with the knowledge that escape vehicles were at hand. But from his vantage point, he could use the gauss rifle he stole overnight to pick some heroes off on the train as it passed. Experimental stuff, though. He wasn't sure if it made a lot of collateral damage, or just a bit.

"Phantom Thief, ready and waiting." He called to Expatriot.

quote:

□ Bag of Tricks
You’re never content to be predictable in your line of work, and constantly stealing new experimental technology and equipment that complement your particular skillset. Whenever you steal some new kit, you can write it down as a new ability if this line is empty.
Experimental military grade coilgun
□ □ □
Treat the new piece of kit as any other ability. Whenever you use the kit in a cunning and risky way, roll +Trouble instead of +Freak to unleash your powers with it. When the third box is checked, the kit is broken, lost, or recovered from those you stole it from, and you can erase it from the line.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Sure thing, boss, I'll give them a word", says Whisperwind, followed by a moment of silence as he presumably switches to another channel, after which one of the passengers shuffles closer to K'lyathi, presumably the infiltrator. Then Whisperwind speaks again "Eh, I guess I'm close enough. No reason not to give our little foreign charge the help she needs to deal with her total social ineptitude."

"Haha."

Whisperwind saunters over to K'lyathi's train car, following the eye-movements of that car's infiltrator and picking up her subvocal mouthings to tag the civilians who were doing something suspicious.

"Looks like most of them are just a bit wary or weirded out. There's a couple texting to friends and family, one guy who's googling 'how to contcat[sic] heroes' and one person actively trying to alert the train workers and officials. Most of them will know who to point their finger at if something strange starts happening though. Maybe try to be less of a weirdo in the future?"

"Haha."

"Fret not. Your good friend Whisperwind can make all your troubles disappear. Just stay still for a moment."

Whisperwind walks over to K'lyathi, hands in his pockets, and mouths something too faint to be heard, but that seemed almost... melodic? And true enough, people's eyes started to glaze over, fingers furiously tapping on touch-screens started to slow down, as they ever so slightly furrowed their brows and started to whisper and mouth something to themselves, their former worries forgotten as they repeated their personal mantras.

Indeed, it is a display almost interesting enough for K'lyathi to miss Whisperwind discreetly waving some sort of device next to her body, that he pockets immediately as you turn to look at it. It seems like... one of those handheld vacuums with some sort of glass jar attached to the end, with strange, runic scripts written all over it.

Whisperwind's face, as always, is undecipherable under his illusionary rictus.

quote:

Theantero: Rolling Provoke to make the people forget K'lyathi being an Awkward weirdo (+1 from Agenda)
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+1 = 11

Right. Making the people on the train car (other than me and K'lyathi of course) focus on repeating obsessive mantras that I am provoking them into repeating with mental suggestion.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions:

K'lyathi nodded her head as Expatriot unloaded information about what she needed to do. Why were humans such contrary species? It was another reason why K'lyathi loathed humanity. They were so odd, confusing and lacking of logical thought processes. It was something she didn't understand and, in this particular moment, felt like she would never understand. Still, they were just stepping stones towards her long-term goal of intergalactic domination.

Where the hell did Whisperweed come from? She jumped slightly in her seat as his voice suddenly drifted out of nowhere. God, the humans were making her lose focus on her nanomachines. How dare they do that? Trying not to draw more attention to herself also meant that she had to just sit there as Whisperweed made fun of her. How had she managed to mess up such a simple task?

K'lyathi didn't believe him, but watching him in action made her want to eat her words. Her eyes were focused on all of the humans falling under a trance and a sense of dread came over her slightly. Whisperweed could do that? She had assumed that all he could do was make himself basically invisible. The fact that he had a power that almost seemed similar to hers in terms of influencing people made her uneasy. She knew she would have to keep her guard up around him, especially since now she knew that she owed him. That was probably the worst thing in the world.

Still, now wasn't the time to worry about that. K'lyathi had to follow what Expatriot told her to do. While uncomfortable in her environment, K'lyathi still tried her best to ignore everyone. It was something she had done before, so it came more naturally. Not making eye contact with anyone and not acknowledging their existence, she waited and wished for the moment she would stop having to dress up like a pitiful human.

<jimmydalad> going to use the provoke move to have people leave me alone via ignoring them and following Expat's instructions, which also gives me +1 forward
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 5+3 = 8

Marking Curses! due to the meddle effect. Whisperwind also gains influence over K'lyathi due to him saving her butt and her not realizing what weird thing he did to her.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Paying no particular heed to K'lyathi or her internal struggles, Whisperwind was apparently focused on keeping the people in their trance. He stood there, in silence, for a minute or two, listening to their mutterings, until he turned to the alien, and spoke. "Hey. This should keep them occupied for a bit. Got to go elsewhere though. So try not to screw up with me not here holding your hand, okay?"

"Haha."

Whisperwind turns around, and starts to walk towards the control car. The radio flickers back to life. "Hey boss. There's a thing I got to do in the control car. I know you probably want me elsewhere, but I kinda need to get this done. It's a bit complicated I'll explain later. Just trust me on this one."

"Haha."

Once he had made his way to the train controls, the devices that made the train tick, he once again withdrew his strange device, and waved it across them, before pocketing it again.

Hey Expatriot! I'm meddling in your carefully planned attack and positional strategy because there's this one thing I really need to do.

When you meddle in the plots of others… ask them if they’ll trust you, just this once. If they give you a chance, they take +1 forward and give you Influence on them. If they deny you this chance, mark a condition and Curses!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Train Lavatory

"Hey, WHAT?!" Anarchy shouts over the radio. "What the EFF are you doing in the control room?!"

She clenches her teeth and growls. "Grrrr... You BETTER not be breaking anything in there! I swear, if you are... and if you screw this up for me... you're gonna regret it."

"Get off the phone, already!"

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Hey, subordinate.” Expatriot spoke into the mic, mimicking Whisperwind’s harsh whispering cadence for just a moment.

“You don’t get to spend a night trying to damage this team’s cohesion and then go off script with a mysterious agenda the moment it suits you. I’m not having another Little Judas on my watch.” She said lowly.

“Breaking Point, if you detect Whisperwind in the control room, you have my permission to open fire upon the cab.” She said over the team channel, making certain that the team could hear it. Normally, she’d have preferred to give the job to Phantom Thief, since his gauss rifle would do less damage to the front car. The team, however, knew that Breaking Point would be glad for the opportunity and wouldn’t balk, and had demonstrated that she could detect Whisperwind before. She trusted that the canny Naomi would use the appropriate degree of force significantly more than she trusted Whisperwind’s agenda.

How about no? Haha. Mark a Condition and Curses.
Whisperwind is currently Expendable, and loses the Influence over me he never had.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 11, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi grinned, "Copy that, Expatriot. Munitions are armed and ready to fire." While visions of a thoroughly perforated Whisperwind danced through her head, she kept a careful eye out for any would-be heroes. The wide-band sensor array was showing a whole lot of nothing. Some commercial traffic in the distance, but nothing else. As expected. The operation hadn't gone loud yet -- but that was no reason to fall asleep at the wheel. If this mission went to poo poo, it sure as hell wouldn't be on her watch.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions:

K'lyathi groaned quietly to herself hearing Whisperweed intentionally messing up the plan. It was a completely different situation to herself, of course. After all, it wasn't like she went out of her way to mess with the plan. It was just that humans were so confusing and dumb to her that she ended up getting herself into a sticky situation. Whisperweed, on the other hand, seemed to actively subvert everything they had been working towards.

She remembered some information that she had gained on him when she fried his brain. Originally, she had wanted to keep that information to herself to use for blackmail in the future. With the way that things were looking, however, she realized that she was going to need a bit of help. Out of everyone in the group, she had the most faith in Expatriot not to be stupid about it. Anarchy was only really good with technology, not people. That was something K'lyathi had noticed during her observations of the group.

Holding the communicator, K'lyathi used her technopathy to make a few adjustments. The communicator buzzed with white noise into her ear as she fine-tuned the mechanics of it all. Adding on private channels was something that was a mere chore for her, but she didn't want others using private channels on communicators to talk about her. That would just leave her open to more opposition. Once she had finished, she changed the channel so that only Expatriot could hear.

"Hello Expatriot, K'lyathi speaking from a private channel." She briefed, lowering her voice so that the other passengers couldn't hear. "You need to keep a close eye on Whisperweed. During the encounter we had yesterday, I managed to pick up some information about his intentions. Because I made him look like a fool, he's been trying to gain as much information on me as possible. However, he's intending to gain as much information on the team as possible that he could use against us as well as find out the interpersonal mechanics. I was so focused on what he was doing, he may have done something to me while I wasn't paying attention. It's just a hunch, but that boy is not to be trusted. I hope you use this information well."

Once she had finished, she turned her attention back to being as inconspicuous as possible, making sure she changed the channel back to the general group. If he had done something to her while she wasn't looking, Whisperweed was going to be getting another brain frying. Maybe this time, she could permanently rearrange his brain.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Afraid, Angry | Location: Train ride of DOOM

"Haha."

"Don't you worry about any of that, Anarchy. I'm not touching any of your precious toys."

"Promise~"

With a chuckle nobody but him would ever be aware of, Whisperwind continued his walk towards the control car. Well, until:

Justice Grieves posted:

Expat's :words: go here

Whisperwind stopped on his tracks. For a moment, everything was silent.

"Haha", came his usual laugh, but it was clear he was struggling to maintain his typical sardonic tone. The whispers came sharply, angrily.

"So now I'm the 'traitor'? Me, just for trying to engage in some harmless side-villainy to make this farce actually worth my time? Now it's me, who only ever aired a few barbed words who is trying to 'break cohesion', and not our good ladies Trigger Happy and Braintazer?"

marking Angry

Oh yes. He saw what was going on. It was a conspiracy, yes, he knew conspiracies. He had been involved in some himself! They were obviously trying to set him up. Let him eat the fallout and the heat whilst they made away cackling with the price, why would they otherwise be singling him out?

Well, he would not let them. He would strike first. He was Whisperwind, and he always saw others coming before they saw him.

Yes. They would all pay.

marking Curses!

I feel like the combination of Angry, Afraid, and Paranoid is basically full-on paranoid delusion mode. This will probably become apparent in his later actions. Also, Expatriot it seems you're accusing me of having an Agenda. What do you think it is?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 11, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions:

Ugh, Whisperweed did not know when to shut up. At first, K'lyathi wanted to exercise restraint. This was the way he was. He was always going to be annoying, petulant and excruciating to deal with. However, he dared call her Braintazer. That was such an ugly name and he was ruining the heist. She was compelled to teach him a lesson. No, she needed to teach him a lesson. She wasn't going to braintaze though. He probably was expecting that.

Keeping track of him with her nanomachines, she thought of just the perfect way to get to him. A simple laser wouldn't hurt. Well, it wouldn't hurt her at least. He would also look foolish in front of the people on the train. That thought pushed her forwards. Using one of the nanomachines hiding in the vents, she charged up a small laser and fired it at the general direction of Whisperweed. She didn't pay too much attention and just assumed that it hit. After all, she had never missed before.

In retrospect, she probably should've put more effort into aiming.

<jimmydalad> Eh, why not
<jimmydalad> rolling to directly engage whisperwind again
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 4+1 = 5
Marking Curses!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Afraid, Angry | Location: Train ride of DOOM

Whisperwind whipped his head around as the laser impacted the window next to him, the thermal shock shattering the entire thing. Obviously everybody in the car saw, and heard. Then the automatic burglar alarm started ringing. And the civilians screaming.

And Whisperwind? He started plotting. A whisper was sent through the skies, to his usual help.

"Netherwrath", rang the sound in her ears that she had learned to recognize during their dealings, "I am under attack. The mission is compromised. I request immediate backup."

"Of course, Breaking Point has been told to fire at threats too, but since the attacker is inside the car we can't have her blowing it up, now can we. We both know she lacks the nuance to figure out when not to follow orders to the letter."

"Hitting her in mid-air with your motorcycle (which is rad as hell by the way, good taste) should suffice for this completely necessary distraction."

Whisperwind smirked. Let's see the flying pile of scrap shoot at him while dealing with her.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 11, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +2 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: New Genesis streets

Phantom Thief was lying prone on the rooftop, waiting for anything to happen. He had trapped parts of the rails, and some locations around where the monorail passed. Now, he waited for the go signal, all the while taking aim at pedestrians on the street below with his gauss rifle, pretending to be taking pot shots. He yawned.

Then, he saw a flash of light on the monorail in the distance as it approached. Was that... A laser? Omega's laser? Did we go hot? Did he miss Expatriot's signal as he dozed off?

He almost got up, but then remembered the plan and tensed up in a prone position. The approaching train was in his sights to the left, and if he turned to the right, he could scan the horizon for approaching heroes. Nothing in sight. Feeling uneasy in the stomach, he finally decided to break radio silence and get up to speed.

"Omega, did you just open fire? Have we gone hot, or have you gone insane? I'd like to remind you that the hostiles are the ones with the capes and the righteous indignation complex. Don't engage friendlies. Expatriot, give it to me straight?"

He tensed. Did something move on the train, towards Omega and Whisperwind? Was it a hero? He took careful aim and aligned the sights on whatever moved next.

quote:

<Deltasquid> actually gonna rebuke Omega
<Deltasquid> for shooting
<Deltasquid> since that's what he actually saw
<Yamifenrir> yeah you should prolly rebuke whisperwind
<Deltasquid> he thinks we went hot and is gonna get really trigger happy
<Yamifenrir> so he doesn't die to conditions before a single heroe arrive
<Yamifenrir> s
<Yamifenrir> lmao
<Deltasquid> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Deltasquid, 6+1 = 7

On a hit, they hear you: They mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift labels if they respond.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions:

Crap, why couldn't things go her way for once? She grumbled to herself as things started to go crazy. People were panicking, Whisperweed was telling people to do stupid stuff and now the Phantom Joke was harassing her. Why did Whisperweed have to mess things up for everyone?

"No Phantom, we haven't gone hot. I just wanted to teach Whisperweed a lesson." K'lyathi admitted begrudgingly over the communicator. "He was messing up the plan and disobeying Expatriot's orders. I thought a laser would set him straight and I missed, ok?" K'lyathi didn't know how she had missed. It was probably some of Whisperweed's stupid magic that made her laser miss. Still, things were looking bad.

"Expatriot, because of recent events, can I now just shed this stupid form and infect everyone? It'd help calm them down." K'lyathi seemed oddly calm in the chaos surrounding her. Ok, so maybe she lied about being able to use the nanobots to calm down the civilians, but Expatriot didn't need to know that.

Going to Mark Curses!

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +0 | Sup: -1 | Men: +2
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None

Netherwrath was the muscle, which to her meant that until law enforcement showed up, she could just do whatever to kill time. She'd mostly been ignoring the increasingly frantic chatter over the comms as she played Flappy Birds 3 on her phone on a nearby rooftop when she heard her name over Whisperwind's private line. His explanation seemed a little suspicious, Well, actually, it was glaringly obvious that this was some sort of power play. But, it wasn't about whether she was dumb enough to take Whisperwind's word on the situation - it was whether everyone else thought she was dumb enough to take Whisperwind's word on the situation. And gently caress it, the alarms were ringing, the authorities were probably incoming, and honestly, messing with Breaking Point just generally appealed to her. She opened up the party line. "I hear alarms, moving to phase two. YEEEEE HAAAAWWWW!"

She gave Mongo a kick to the engine, and it mewled pathetically. "Get me on that train, now!" The engine revved obligingly and took off along the rooftop. As it picked up speed, the flames around Mongo's tires raced forward to the edge of the building, forming themselves into a ramp that the bike hit with implausible speed. The bike took to the air, trailing black smoke and flames that formed into the shape of screaming faces before fading away. Netherwrath noted with some satisfaction that pedestrians below were looking up in shock and terror as she crossed the sky with terrible speed.

Of course, while it looked dramatic, by the apex of her jump it became clear that her velocity was going to take her over and past the monorail roof, likely splattering her against a building. "Mongo, you literally damned idiot!" She knew she had to redirect her momentum somehow, and while few people would consider Netherwrath smart, she had a savant's grasp of the applied physics of physical force. As she neared the monorail, she rotated in midair, turning completely upside down. Then with all her considerable strength, she kicked against Mongo, sending the long-suffering demonic entity whimpering into the sky. Breaking Point's sensors didn't have time to react as a screaming motorcycle made of steel, flames and hatred rocketed directly into her flight path. Meanwhile, the inescapable force of action/reaction sent Netherwrath plummeting down onto the roof of the monorail, denting it like it was made of tin. She quickly rolled over and improvised a handhold by literally driving her hand through the monorail's outer shell.

[17:11] Green_Bean okay, time to engage
[17:12] Green_Bean !r 2d6+4
[17:12] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 12+4 = 16
[17:12] Green_Bean okay, I think that was a success

Of the available options, I'll take
• create an opportunity for your allies
• impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

Just for the sake of completeness, please note I did not choose to resist or avoid trading blows, and BP has a lot of guns.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

That should show her. Whisperwind smiled as he watched the motorcycle fly.

Oh yes, he still had it. Whisperwind was still on top of the plotting game.

Paranoid will be getting cleared at the end of the scene, due to taking 'pre-emptive action against one of my allies', cleared by Yami

Taking the opportunity given to him by Netherwrath, Whisperwind took to sprint, weaving around the panicking crowd, whilst making a point to order the YGGDRASIL goons to try and calm down the civilians. He would reach the control car, do his thing, and leap right out. Regardless of what Expatriot or Breaking Point or Omega or anyone said or did. His hand squeezed around his strange device in readiness as he made his way ever closer to his target.

But before he went, there was the question of his assailant. She would undoubtedly not leave this at that. Annoyingly tenacious. With a whisper, he sent a thought into her mind. A suggestion to focus on her immediate surroundings instead of him. On the annoying, screaming human peons instead of that one man who was always so quiet and easy to overlook anyway.

It should keep her off him for long enough.

quote:

Theantero: But anyways, Distracting Omeg- look at the screaming mortals aren't they just so annoying who were you just worrying about right now anyway? (+1 for Influence)
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+1 = 11

Picking the following:
- You redirect their attention to someone else.
- You confuse them for some time.
- You avoid further entanglement.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 11, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions:

"Hey, what the hell is Neverwrath doing? Why are you listening to-" K'lyathi's talking was suddenly interrupted by a wave of sudden thoughts. W-wait a minute, what's going on? What was she doing here? She began to feel disorientated, the world swirling around her for a moment. She was finding it hard to get her head straight as foreign forces started to work on her mind.

After a few moments, she gained some control over herself. Her mind was still heavy as she began to get annoyed by all of the humans. God, why did they have to be so loud and annoying? Couldn't they just shut up?

"Hey, can someone get these humans to shut up? They are so annoying." K'lyathi spat into the communicator. Her mind, for the moment, was as far from Whisperwind as it had been since they first met. Still, there was a part of her that felt like she was forgetting about something.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

A sudden blip on the proximity sensors was the only warning that Breaking Point had before the motorcycle crashed into her. Error messages and angry red warnings covered her HUD as she struggled to maintain control. The striker pack seemed functional, but there was no way in hell it could maintain stealth with the damage to the chameleon plating. "poo poo! What the hell is going on down there? Why did your motorcycle hit me, Netherwrath?!"

Diagnostics played out over an outline of her additional parts. Several were highlighted and flashing -- they needed to be purged. She gritted her teeth. Looked like the arcane fire was working it's way towards the banks of micro-missiles. A quick mental command separated the compromised parts and sent them plummeting towards the train below. It was purely coincidence that the missile banks dropped directly adjacent to Netherwrath as the flames cooked off the munitions. Nobody could prove otherwise. The explosions tore the roof of the cab Netherwrath was clinging to completely off and sent it flipping off into the city below.

Breaking Point sent Expatriot a tight-band message, "Expatriot. I am under attack and my long-ranged weapons are compromised. Whisperwind must be making his play. Also, expect heroes inbound at any moment. They won't be able to miss this."

quote:

[14:32:14] <Tricky> Directly Engaging NW
[14:32:17] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+3
[14:32:18] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 =

Taking NW's ability to remain on the train; Frightening/Surprising/Impressing NW.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 14, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: New Genesis Rooftops

“God dammit, Whisper!” Expatriot hissed. This was supposed to be an easy job. The easiest job. She’d pitched a total softball of a caper to give them a dry run before moving to bigger and better things. So, what happens? Things start exploding before they’d even begun. She had half a mind to blow the tracks here and now, end this farce now and wash her hands of this team before they dragged her down with them. If not for the fact that it would ostracize her with YGGDRASIL’s operatives for the rest of her career with them, just might have pushed the button.

“All points, we’re going hot!” she called into the mic, though it seemed almost redundant as Breaking Point’s missile pack tore the roof off of the train with an explosion that echoed through the cavernous skyscrapers all around. Shards of high velocity aluminum shattered reflective windows and buried shrapnel into clean white buildings all around. There was a reason she’d intended to cut off the track with explosive charges once they had control. That was going to draw every damned cape in the district.

A quick check of her watch told her that the train wasn’t quite in position, but if the conductor didn’t throw the breaks after that explosion he was beyond incompetent. Expatriot broke into a sprint, crossing the roof in a rush and clearing the gap between roofs effortlessly as she ran to meet the train as it approached the bend. There was nothing fancy about her movements, she pumped her legs in the air and reached forward as she cleared each gap, but she didn’t flip or tumble, not wanting to lose her momentum. Finally, she saw the brilliant white headlamps of the train over the rise of the building. There it was.

[21:34] <JusticeGreives|AFK> Unleashing Expatriot's Powers to catch a train
[21:34] <JusticeGreives|AFK> !r 2d6+1
[21:34] <Krysmbot> JusticeGreives|AFK, 6+1 = 7
Marking Condition Angry, you sonuvabitch

She jumped, both legs kicking forward as she folded her body to narrow her point of impact. When she hit, the train was still moving thirty miles an hour even with the squeal of brakes behind it. Through her reflection in the shatter-resistant glass, she saw a look of shock on the conductor’s face. Then, with a crash, the front of the train bowed in, the windshield cracking and then bursting into a rain of small plastic shards that scattered into the cab and down the walkway into the next train car.

She landed in a crouch, but she picked her head up, the glowing red visor burning as she looked directly at Whisperwind. His powers made him easy to lose track of, but then, every single fiber of her being was focused like a laser on his existence just that second. The job didn’t matter, the team didn’t matter, the heroes didn’t matter. Whisperwind put himself ahead of the job, he’d bent Netherwind to his advantage, he’d called the heroes in on all of them … and the bastard had the gall to claim he wasn’t a traitor!?

Whisper,” she growled, looming and tense with every inch of genetically perfect muscle as she took her first step forward, “I am going to instruct you in the nature of team dynamics.” The second step came, her knuckles cracking under her red gloves as she made her fists, no sign of her energy weaponry on her person, “There will be pain, and begging … but if you are attentive, you may survive.”

[21:55] <JusticeGrieves> Expatriot will attempt to Cow Whisperwind
[21:55] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6
[21:55] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 5 = 5
Ha, that’s appropriate. Curse your insufferable nature! (Marking Curses)

Also, I don’t have enough information IC to accuse you of a specific Agenda. Expatriot’s perspective is based on the notion that if you had a
legitimate side venture, you’d have mentioned it last night. (That's a Physical and a Social Action, I believe that's within the limits).

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 12, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Train Passenger Car

"What did you guys DO?!" Anarchy shouts into the communicator. "Are the brakes on?! How could you guys mess this UP so BADLY?!"

She stomps her feet on the ground, making a pretty audible ruckus, and yells even louder into the mic. "IF THIS RUINS MY CELEBRITY DEBUT I'M GONNA FREAKING KILL SOMEONE! YOU FREAKING IDIOTS!"

"Ughhhh..." The girl takes a moment to roll her eyes a few times, as hard as she possibly can, before she scrambles to grab all her stuff off the bathroom counter and join the action.

A couple of seconds later, the bathroom door flies outward when Anarchy kicks it open. The poor chump who had been waiting right outside it the whole time gets knocked over by it and falls to the floor. She pays him no mind of course, as she is far too focused on the Big Picture, and she simply steps over his sprawled out body as she steps into the main passenger compartment.

"Hey, jerks!" Anarchy yells out into the crowd, as she strikes a confident pose.

They don't actually seem to notice. Compared to the sound of explosions, the sudden force of the train braking, and a special kind of absentminded terror that's only really possible in public transit, one shouting teenager doesn't actually grab that much attention. Naturally, this leaves Anarchy quite frustrated. Almost immediately, her confident look deflates as she takes a moment to ruminate on how poorly this is going.

This isn't how it was supposed to go. Not at ALL. According to the plan- the SIMPLE FREAKING PLAN, this crowd was supposed to have already been properly terrorized already. They were supposed to be a captive audience, just waiting to be awed by her! Like mindless, nanomachine-controlled SHEEP!

Oh and let's not forget, the train was supposed to be accelerating out of control! You know! Like the entire plan depended on!

Perhaps it was Anarchy's mistake for going along with someone else's plan. Maybe it was her mistake to hold back her own. But what was she supposed to do?! She couldn't just let BRANCH and YGDRASSIL know about the AI!

It's a good thing she knows how to improvise.

BWWWWAAAAAAAOOOOWWW!!! The incredibly loud noise of an industrial-grade airhorn blares throughout the cabin. As soon as the room-shaking, ear-rumbling, and most likely hearing-damaging noise settles down, seemingly everyone in the crowded passenger in the car turns towards its source.

They see a teenaged girl standing there with the offending noisemaker in her hand, and a maniacal grin on her face.

"...LLO!" Anarchy shouts, the very first part of her words rendered effectively inaudible by the lingering sound of ringing in just about everybody's ears. "Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! Today is your LUCKY DAY because THIS is a HIJACKING!"

She strikes a cute pose, demonstrating her impeccable sense of priority as she uses this moment to show off her girlish charm. "Now all of you make sure to stay in your seats or else things will have to get bad! My compatriots and I have already taken control of this train and..."

Anarchy leans in and lowers her voice, like she's letting everybody in on some kind of secret. "...and trust me on this one, you do not want to see them when they get rough."

She makes a roughly head-shaped fist with one hand, and then uses the other to mime out some kind of projectile crushing it. "Nyoooooooorm! BSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!" Then she follows through by 'exploding' it and making some gross sounds with her mouth. "Gsshshshshshshhhh!"

It's all pretty gruesome if you have an active imagination. Otherwise it's just confusing.

"Okay?!" Anarchy hops on her feet a little bit and shoots some finger guns at the crowd. "Any questions?!"

quote:

<Takanago> okay let's distract some civilians
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+1
<Platonibot> Takanago: 9 (2d6+1=2, 6)
Okay. Anarchy is going to distract the civilians from what's really going on (how much of a mess our caper is), and draw attention towards herself and her little sideshow instead:
Since I rolled 7-9 I choose two options, which are:
- You redirect their attention to someone else. (Anarchy)
- You confuse them for some time.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 12, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Whisperwind's sprint skitters to a halt as he is suddenly confronted by a pissed-off hunk of superhuman. "Oh. Hi bo", he brings a fist in front of his mouth and makes some sort of noise. You assume he is clearing his throat. "Oh, hi boss."

"Hey. If you're looking for people responsible, maybe start with Queen Butthurt and her lasers?" Whisperwind points over his shoulder with his thumb, "I mean, it was she who decided to go berserk over some ultra-tame jab I can't even remember anymore. How am I responsible and not her. I mean she is the clear cause of all this." He stares at Expatriot intently, "And I have to say I find it very concerning how you do not seem to realize this. How you're taking all her troublemaking in stride. Very, very odd. Perhaps you've been braintazed too, hm?"

"Haha."

For all his bluster, Whisperwind nevertheless takes a tentative step backwards and checks out his surroundings on the down-low. Yeah, turns out trains aren't so good for things like escape routes. Why had he agreed to go with this anyway? Oh right, that thing.

"Besides, you threatened to shoot me for nothing but a completely innocuous relocation attempt. Not the best way to inspire loyalty in your charges."

Whisperwind shrugs.

"But hey, what is done is done. I recognize I can't get to the control car with you on the way, and I can drop an untenable plan. Hell that is basically half of all I do."

"Haha."

"So, let's try to make the best of this, okay? See, have your techies unscrew the brakes, and I'll 'convince' the drivers and the staff to just focus deeply on their usual routes. That nothing is out of the ordinary, nope. I'll even take a couple of those goons I brought and have them make sure the staff behaves. You know, eyes on the prize and all that."

Whisperwind gives a thumbs up with both hands. It's a surprisingly irritating combination with that fake grin of his.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: The Train of DOOM (and PAIN)

“Oh, I will have words with the princess regarding her flippant approach to visiting violence upon members of my team.” She said, her boot coming down with another step, the sound of glass grinding under heel accompanying her approach as he took that first step back.

“I stated, in the clearest, strongest way available to me, that I did not want you up here.” She said, still shadowing his motions, the glow of her visor seemingly trying to bore a hole through his head through rage alone. “Now, things are exploding, and I find you here. Clearly, words alone are insufficient.”

“So, the first lesson is very simple.” Again, that heavy thud of a step followed by the slow grind of glass, “The nail that stands out, gets hammered down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Wow."

Whisperwind glances to the side a bit.

"And that can't wait for after the mission?"

"Haha."

"I thought you were supposed to be the smart one?"

• Locked thread