Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: +1 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Trunk of DOOM

"Wow."

"Haha."

Whisperwind scratches his neck a bit. Like he was feeling... awkward, almost?

"Hey Phantom, you know I think you're great and all."

"But taken that I just apparently got a new date all of two minutes ago, it might be just a tad bit too early to go running for drinks with my guy friends, yeah? Some other time perhaps?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Freak: +3 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: -2
Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: Obsessed

K'lyathi wanted to just scream, or break something. The death metal music couldn't even help her get over her frustrations at Whisperweed. A part of her still missed being on her home planet, away from all of these dumb humans and stupid problems. Then again, even on her home planet, no one took her seriously. She thought that it would be better on this planet, where she was obviously superior to them all, but even now people still treated her like a joke.

She stewed angrily to herself as she listened to the rest of the conversation. She knew she was right, she had to be. She refused to believe she was wrong. She had to surpass him. She needed to surpass him. Whisperweed's rejection of the Phantom Joke's invitation sparked something within her.

"I'll go on this "date" with you!" She suddenly declared, the words coming out before she even had time to properly think about it.

This was her chance to show others that she was better than him! At the same time, though, she had never been on a "date" before or what it constituted. Hopefully it wasn't something too boring or long. Whatever this date was, she was determined to be better than Whisperweed at it. That she knew.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Trunk of DOOM

For a moment, everything was silent. In fact, Whisperwind made everything be silent with his magic for dramatic appeal.

"Haha."

Another second or so passes, after which a strange hissing sound that is presumably an unrestrained fit of laughter emanates from under Whisperwind's hood.

"Hahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahahahhaahhahaahhahahahah"

Whisperwind moves a hand into the darkness of his hood to wipe a tear as his laugh finally subsides.

"Oh man. Am I dreaming? Are you seriously so far gone that you're trying to steal my ~guy friend~ from me just to get to me? Are you for real?"

"This is brilliant. This is a better insult to your character than anything I could have come up with. Like, who would have guessed that the thing you'd wind up beating me at was burning yourself?"

"Haha."

There is a little snorting sound.

"So, uh, Phantom? Have fun I guess?"

"Just remember to be careful. I hear she has cooties if you know what I mean."

"Haha."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -1 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +2 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: New Genesis Tunnel of Love Despair

Of course Whisperwind declined the invitation. It was to be expected, and it was rather uncouth of Phantom Thief to even suggest it in the first place. He resigned to drinking alone that night.

"That's okay, I understand. We ca-"

Naturally, Omega interrupted their conversation, small as it was, to insult him again.

"Seriously, Omega, if you-..."

It dawned upon him that she said she wanted to go with him. On a date.

"Wait, my offer to Whisperwind wasn't..."

He stared at her. She was serious. She was seriously, right here, practically begging for a date. Of course Whisperwind made fun of her. By all rights, Phantom Thief himself should have blown her off right there and then. It'd feel really good to shoot her down in turn after Expatriot had. And yet...

The thought of dating such a heartless shrew had never even occurred to him. Was this a prank? Or some sort of social experiment for her home planet?

He was too tired to care either way. He had no energy to protest nor make fun of her, so he simply said: "Okay, fine, you know what? Why not. Please follow me to the street, miss."

At the surface, Phantom Thief cautiously lifted the manhole and noticed there wasn't anyone in particular in this alley. As he had thought, they were just a street away from Westside Mall. He climbed out and quickly changed by removing his long black coat, shirt and red gloves, turning them into small balls and putting them on his belt, then turning a particular bead with a tiny vest symbol on it, back to his autumn jacket.

"If we're going to celebrate at the safehouse tonight, I think we have, say," He checked his swiss watch, "three hours to go?"

He had trouble thinking of things to do. What common ground did they even have? He decided he'd play it safe first with an activity that was universally enjoyed (getting boozed together) and then maybe something more specific and personalized.

"I propose we go for a drink at the Île de Paris bar on the third floor, then the arcade on the fourth floor? They have some good games there." He gave this some thought. "They involve spaceships. I suppose you like spaceships?"

And then, with a hint of mischief in his voice, he said: "Also, if we play really well, we can indefinitely hog the booth for ourselves and upset the kids who are waiting for their turns."

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 21, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +0 | Sup: -1 | Men: +2
Curses! 4/5 | Conditions:

Netherwrath took a different route back, since Mongo was a little on the obvious side for the purposes of losing pursuit. So by the time she came swaggering up, the argument was already in full swing. While normally she'd want to egg it on, there was an important conversation she had to have first.

Since Breaking Point was by herself at the front of the car, Netherwrath quietly approached her. "Hey, can we talk a second?" She continued on without waiting for an answer.

"I just wanna say, I feel kinda bad about the things I said to you when I went bugfuck. It was a dick move, and really lovely. I'm an orphan too, you know? All I can say is I wasn't in my right mind, and I'm sorry." Netherwrath seemed to be genuinely contrite about the whole thing.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 21, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Trunk of DOOM | Cards: 2
Temp Assets: Fireworks Gun

"Hey!" Anarchy pinches Whisper on the arm and pouts. "Don't tease other girls in front of your GIRLFRIEND!"

She leans in closer to him and smiles. "Or did you forget, Whisper? I told you, I know what your deal is!" Then she giggles and pulls her head back dramatically. "Or do you WANT me to tell everybody why you've been acting like such a dork today?"

Then she turns and waves at the other couple. "Have fun on your daaate~!"

<Takanago> i think I'm gonna rebuke whisperwind
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+2
<Platonibot> Takanago: 8 (2d6+2=2, 4)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Trunk of DOOM

"Ow", Whisperwind exclaimed in mock pain, after which he lifts his hands defensively.

"Hey. She snipes me with lasers and braintazers every chance she gets. You bet your cute lil' butt I snipe her back with words every chance I get."

"Which is kinda hilarious since I think I'm the one who's actually caused more damage to the other."

"Haha."

Whisperwind scratches his chin a bit. "But yeah. I suppose I should have some more substantial tricks ready the next time she or anyone else tries something funny." He stares off into the distance as if in thought, before he continues.

"Right, so anyway. Some particular place you'd like for a date? I know this one cafe that serves real good Pure Colombian, but I don't think you actually drink that stuff."

"Sooo, how about an Arcade?"

marking Curses from Anarchy's Rebuke, taking the Radical move 'This Rose Has Thorns' as my advance

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: Obsessed

Why was Whisperweed laughing? Was a date not a triumphant feat? And what the hell were cooties? Rather than feeling triumphant, K'lyathi instead found herself being very confused by his behaviour. Still, she said she would go on this "date" and that was something she had no intentions of backing down from now. She was not the type of person to run and hide. She was K'lyathi Sil-Anurmsa.

Jumping out of the car and back into her alien form, she followed Phantom Thief tentatively, a bit confused as to where he was taking her. She was even more alarmed by how he was changing clothes in front of her. She quickly turned away, trying not to take a peek at his body until he was finished. Admittedly, she had never been alone with another human. Was there some sort of formal process one needed to go through?

"I don't have any other clothes to change into for this clothes changing ritual." K'lyathi stated bluntly, looking slightly embarrassed as she did so. She didn't talk much as the human told her what the itinerary was. It didn't seem to be too special. It was just spending time with another being. Then again, it wasn't like she could claim to have much experience with other beings than her father.

"I do like spaceships, yes." She replies, trying to gauge the Phantom's intentions. "I must admit, however, there is a certain appeal towards your plans."

This really was unfamiliar territory she was stepping into. What was she supposed to do? She looked slightly flustered trying to rationalize everything in her mind. What were they going to be drinking? Is there a certain way I'm supposed to be behaving? How can I get him to like me more than Whisperweed? She even found it hard to look at Phantom at times, worried that he'd see her overanalyzing things.

"So, s-shall we begin?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Tunnel of DOOM | Cards: 2

"Well," Anarchy tilts her head to the side and puts her finger on her chin. "I'll talk to her and the next time she tries that I'll beat the CRAP out of her!"

She turns around and looks at the front of the car. "Like I should have with Bee-Pee back there." Then she shoots Whisper a smirk, already expecting some kind of sarcastic response. "Oh, I totally could have. You haven't SEEN what I can do to cyborgs, have you?!"

"Anyway~" Anarchy claps her hands together, and kicks one leg back into the air. "An arcade sounds great! We would actually try a lot of those two-player games I NEVER get to play! Like, there's a bunch of stuff that's actually kind of lame if you're by yourself, stuff that you can't even play AT ALL without two people, and-"

She stops to take a breath.

"OH! We could try one of those photo-booths! Y'know, with the STICKERS?! Yeah!"

She smiles energetically, and bats her eyes. "You wanna go~?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Tunnel of DOOM

"Haha."

"Already trying to gather photographic evidence of me to spread around I see. And here I almost thought you liked me", Whisperwind states with a joking tinge in his voice. It was actually surprising how many different tones the guy could accomplish with whispers alone.

He turned to Anarchy, his illusionary smile floating in the air. "Well, I suppose it wouldn't be fair for you if I didn't give you a little advantage~"

"Haha", Whisperwind laughed his little laugh, but his tone was clearly playful instead of the usual sardonic one.

"Seriously though, that sounds pretty fun. Got any cool poses planned out? We can put those stickers on all the machines we make little kids cry or beat the high score on."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Heading to her Workshop

Naomi looked over at Netherwrath. Was she being genuine? It didn't much matter. It was surely being offered for some later advantage. She was tired of these people, their constant bickering and backstabbing. She needed some time to relax and unwind. It was time for some maintenance. Maybe she could, just for a moment, pretend to be normal. Or at least pretend like it was normal to be a giant robot. Maybe review some combat data with the crew chief or something and hash out some plans for the next revision to her chassis? Something fun like that.

She looked at Netherwrath for a moment, then shrugged, "Thanks for apologizing. Sorry about all of the explosions earlier." With that, she jetted off into the blackness of the tunnels.

Netherwrath has apologized, so I clear Enraged.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: 0
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Insecure, Paranoid | Location: Underground Tunnels

Expatriot never responded as Phantom Thief spoke to her, her impassive facemask simply looking back at him as she straightened slightly in her seat. She was used to people responding badly when she used the “Hal Jordan Defense”, if anything the fact that he hadn’t accused her of trying to trick him put him marginally ahead of the curve. She couldn’t help the way she was made, force grown with a head full of hypnoindoctrination to insure she could function in polite society. Some people saw her as a mature woman capable of taking care of herself, sure, but others argued that she lacked emotional maturity that could only come from life experience, and still more were squicked on a purely instinctual level. Given that her origins were something of an open secret at best, she preferred to just hit people with the implications of her birth right out the gate. They should know what kind of brush they were going to be tarred with for associating with her.

Grabbing ahold of the overhead handle, Expatriot picked up her worn boots and scooted over into the driver’s side of the car, checking the engine temperature as she did. Phantom Thief had been running the motor full-bore pretty much the whole time, after all, with an old car like this there was no telling what state it had been in before.

She watched as half the group paired up for impromptu dates in the rearview mirror, a faint smile lighting on her lips behind the mask. See, everything worked out just fine. Phantom Thief had someone to distract him from his hurt pride, and K’lyathi had someone to take her mind off of Whisperwind’s constant prodding. There was a moment where she considered dragging Whsiperwind to one side and having a fairly terse conversation … but she decided that Anarchy.exe deserved to have a good time without her putting a boot in it. She supposed someone could accuse her of cowardice for putting these things off like this, but frankly, the only things she wanted right now were a hot shower and a soft bed.

Breaking point climbed out of the car to talk with Netherweave, the two sharing some short words before the cyborg lifted off the ground and started silently flying away. Expatriot revved the engine slightly, checking the rpms before she adjusted her mirrors. She considered saying something to her old partner, but, words failed her. Instead, she popped the car into gear and hit the gas, turning the wheel away from the ladder to drive mostly down the center of the tunnel as she went. Her HUD was telling her that there was an underground parking structure that connected to the tunnels under the city not far from the team’s penthouse. She could stash the car there for a while, at least until she found the time to fix it up and turn it into a proper escape vehicle for the group. After Breaking Point’s outburst, she might be better off converting it to a convertible, though the trunk would need to be replaced completely.

Plans for the future, she supposed. Assuming there was much of one.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 24, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Westside Mall

Phantom Thief was a bit confused as to why Omega was so blustered by him changing jackets. "This isn't exactly a ritual. I just changed into less conspicuous clothes so we wouldn't attract even more superhero attention to ourselves. On that subject, are you going to waltz in with your..."

"Alien form" seemed a bit too harsh, come to think of it. Still not entirely sure of her intentions, he decided to settle on "Non-disguise form? I think you ought to change to your human form to mingle there, you know?"

He tucked away his gloves (small and light enough to stuff in his pockets; he didn't need to turn these into beads like his coat!) and said: "Very well, let us begin. The mall isn't very far from here." He felt freer now he was back in his civilian outfit. He kept the mask on, out of general caution when being around his coworkers, but the mental mask was slipping a little bit. When he spoke, he was a bit softer now, less theatrical. He felt like Arsène again.

They walked out of the alley, onto Sunshine Boulevard, and walked down the road which was getting more and more crowded as they approached the mall. A lot of teenage and college-aged girls were there, of course, but he also saw a group of skateboarders practicing their tricks on the stairs and rails at the entrance (A felony in New Genesis!), as well as young parents with small children, and an elderly couple that was sitting on a bench, enjoying waffles together.

The mall itself was like the rest of the city in a smaller format: clean, white, polished, with a few meticulously planned plants which guarded the sides of the ground level floor. A single fountain had been placed in the middle of the mall: it was perfectly circular, with multiple rings in the middle, and the water simply flowed from the centre to the edge before being pumped back up. Clearly, the architect who designed the mall must have curried enough favour from the City Council to be granted such artistic liberty.

The walls of the mall were some sort of glass, mostly. Anyone on the inside could see the sky (gray), the nearby buildings (Grey and blocky) and Sunshine Boulevard (Grey and long, except during a sunset, when it was orange-ish for about 5 minutes.) At least it meant there was plenty of natural light on good days, except now it was a grey, bleak and rainy day, so the mall reflected that in its windows, which mirrored the outside world in this light.

They took the escalators. Arsène felt he needed to break the ice with some small talk, but he'd been trying hard to come up with a conversation subject ever since they got on the boulevard. He supposed he could ask her about her homeland, but it felt a bit gauche to him. Like asking an Algerian girl about Algeria, as if that were the only thing that defined her. Still, he was curious, and this would give him some time to think of more personal questions. "So, Omega... I was wondering how old you were, and then a thought struck me. The planet you are from is part of an interplanetary alliance or federation of sorts, yes? How do you define age in your society? Depending on how long it takes for the planet of birth to revolve around the sun, or do you have some sort of standardized units of time?"

Île de Paris was a bar on the third floor. Phantom Thief liked it because it specialized in foreign liquors, and also the bartender didn't ask any awkward questions. His name was Claude. He understood.

When they walked in, he gave them a small nod. His pencil mustache was on point today, as always. His hair was parted and oiled, the way it was popular in the 1920's. A true man's man, Arsène thought. They simply didn't make them like that any more.
The bar was comfortably dark; wood and leather dominated the interior, which had a strong "house in the woods" feel to it.

He told Omega: "In this kind of bar, you generally take a liquor. If there are any tastes that you find particularly repulsive or enjoyable, I can help you choose a drink." Arsène wasn't sure if he offered this help because she was an alien, or because she was American. Probably a bit of both.

He himself ordered a Braastad Cognac; it had a balanced taste that reminded him of wood and spice, and wasn't too fruity or flowery. He didn't like fruit or flowers in any of his alcoholic drinks, except in some wines. He didn't consider himself a true connoisseur yet, but he had read a lot of blogs on the subject, and it had become kind of a hobby for him.

(OOC: Yami told me I could mark off the want "Perform an impossible stunt" on account of the cool driving in the park. So, 1 curses! from that.)

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 22, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Tunnel of DOOM | Cards: 2

"When you're with ME, you gotta get used to the SPOTLIGHT!" Anarchy twirls around and strikes a cute pose, as if the cameras were already on her.

"Ha ha ha ha ha!" She laughs like a princess. "Oh, you can certainly BET that I am ready for the camera! What do you think I've been preparing all day for?"

Anarchy pulls out her phone, attaches a comically signal-boosting antenna to it, and starts looking stuff up on it. "Let's see, the closest arcade is... OH! Just a block away! Sweet! And it looks pretty cool, too!"

She leaps onto the exit ladder and extends her arm downward to Whisper. "Follow me, my sweet! To the MALL!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Tunnel of DOOM

Whisperwind followed the antics of his new girlfriend with some amusement. He sauntered over to the ladder with a lazy gait, hands in his pockets.

"Haha."

"You do realize I can teleport, right?"

Whisperwind shrugged a bit, and extended his hand anyway.

"But sure we'll do it your way."

He could probably use the exercise anyway. Teleporting everywhere was bound to accumulate some weight unless he took stuff like that into account.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Alleyway | Cards: 2

"Oh yeah, that's right..." Anarchy looks upwards and ponders for a second, then makes a sudden realization. "HEY! Why'd you never just TELL ME you could teleport?! If I knew you could just DO that, I wouldn't have had to spend a whole FREAKING hour hiding in a dumb train bathroom!"

As she reaches the top of the ladder, the girl steps out into the alleyway and brushes off a bunch of dirt and dust off her clothes with her hands. "Are there any other tricks I should know about?"

Anarchy sneaks around on her tiptoes to the end of the alley, then sticks her head out and looks out into the main street. "And while we're on the subject... Any chance you could use your mind powers, or whatever they actually are, to make it so people don't call the cops on us?" She turns back towards Whisper and smiles in her usual way. "I mean, you might be able to get away walking around in there, but I'm sure MY face is all over the news by now!"

"Otherwise, I might have to..." Anarchy groans and puts the back of her hand on her forehead like she's about to faint dramatically. "Use my boring MEATSPACE disguise! I'd lose all of my devilish charm! And on my very first date with my new BOYFRIEND, too!"

She holds her arms tightly to her chest like a damsel in distress. "You wouldn't make me do THAT, would you?! Then we'd probably have to call each other by our MEATSPACE names, too!" She looks like she's going to faint again. Is she still acting, or is it real? "Could you even imagine... having to call me... Anne?!"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Alleyway of WUV :h:

Whisperwind merely grinned his impenetrable illusionary grin as Anarchy roasted him with her questioning.

"Haha."

"Who knows?"

"Maybe I wanted you in that bathroom? Maybe I just figured out how to do it while I was in the train because I hit my head too hard? Maybe I haven't been teleporting at all and just made you forget me moving in a clever ruse?"

He leaned in a bit and booped Anarchy on the nose. "A villain needs their secrets~" He withdrew his hand and stroked his chin. "As for disguising you?"

"Haha."

"I dunno."

Whisperwind shrugged. "Never done it on anybody else but me, but I guess we could try. All I know is that since it's a personal field, you should probably get a little bit closer while I cast it over you and transfer it. It's a magic thing, you probably wouldn't get it." Whisperwind's grin did not change, but somehow it still managed to look a bit... grinnier?

As Whisperwind moved in for the 'casting position' that seemed remarkably like a particularly grabsy hug, he whispered incantations for a while until finally growing silent and withdrawing. "Yep. That should definitely do it."

Well, at least he thought so. However, he could not help but take constant glances at both Anarchy and the surrounding crowds as they walked, just to make sure, for he was not nearly as confident as he sounded. Indeed, for the moment at least, Whisperwind felt particularly unsure about his efficacy.

quote:

Theantero: Using my Forgetfulness field on Anarchy to make people not call the cops on her while we go on sweet date (Unleash, +1 for Influence)
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 5+2 = 7

Marking a condition duo to rolling 7-9, taking Insecure as Whisperwind is insecure in his magic potency. The things I do for love~

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 22, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: Obsessed

"Oh. That makes sense." K'lyathi was so in her own head that she completely forgot that walking around in her beautiful alien form would probably be a bad idea. Touching a button on her device, she quickly transformed into her human form, looking slightly uncomfortable as she did so. She normally didn't have such issues with this form, but maybe it was the intimate setting. She wished she could've had a more attractive form given to her.

K'lyathi was quiet as she took in all of the sights. Admittedly, she had not seen much of New Genesis. Most of her time up until now had either been in dump sites or her spaceship. It was certainly nice to have a change of scenery. She had to repeatedly tell herself that she and her father could do better. That the federation can do better. When she thought about it, she hadn't spent much time outside of labs and workshops, if at all. During the time, she thought it was just natural and that she was so much better for doing so.

Her thoughts strayed to her compatriot. When she thought about it, she was surprised that he would agree to take her on a date. She didn't even need to use the nanomachines she had planted in his brain. Granted, he did screw up on that mission with Little Judas, so he was still incompetent. As her mind continued to wander, her thoughts were suddenly broken by the sound of Arsene.

"O-oh! Time, yes. Well, your planet is lucky in that they have a similar time system to the Kil'thana federation. My home planet orbits around the star in about half the speed of Earth, so it's easy to do calculations to determine what my age would be had I always been a silly human all my life. As for the Kil'thana federation, it originated on my planet but has formed alliances with many planets across the galaxies, even though they have the technology to easily overthrow them. I consider it a waste."

She was taking special consideration to try and read the Phantom Thief's intentions and feelings. Was there something that he liked in particular? Maybe she should try to embody that. K'lyathi had a strange, awkward feeling inside her. It was almost like she wanted to impress him not just to prove her superiority. No one had ever bothered to bring her out on her own. She was confused, especially since she didn't believe the Phantom Thief liked her in any way, shape or form. He was friends with Whisperweed, after all. He probably poisoned his opinion of her.

"I have never had a "liqour" before, so I can't tell you whether I have a preference or not." K'lyathi admitted, trying to hide her sheepishness. "I do enjoy sweet things, though. If that's possible."

K'lyathi tried to have a hard, long look at the Phantom Thief, trying to understand him and make sense of what was going on. Unfortunately for her, she made it way too obvious what she was doing. Her face was like an open book for Arsene to see as she continued in vain to try and understand the weird human who accepted to go on a date with her.

<jimmydalad> Going to roll to pierce the Phantom Thief's Mask
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6-2
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 2-2 = 0
<Takanago> wow
<jimmydalad> WOW
<TheNabster> Woooooooow
Because of how atrocious that roll was, Arsene gets an automatic 10+ Pierce the Mask due to K'lyathi letting way too much be shown on her face.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Mall of WUV | Cards: 2

"Closer...? Oh!" Anarchy is caught a little off guard by the idea of the hug at first but, of course, she doesn't seem to mind. As Whisper casts the spell, Anarchy closes her eyes and leans her head forward so that her's is right right next to his.

As the hug ends and they pull back, there's a bright and strangely sincere look in her eyes.

Well, for a second, at least.

By the time Anarchy fully steps back, she's already reverted to her devilish grin.

"Oh, you think you can keep secrets from me~?" Her grin grows a little wilder, and her expression a little more maniacal. "The smartest GENIUS on the team? And the most RESOURCEFUL one, too?!"

"Ha ha ha HA!" Anarchy laughs confidently. "Please. If I really tried, I could figure you out no problem."

Stepping forward, the girl closes the personal space between them again. Then she waves her hand in the air and pokes Whisper in the chest with her finger. "You might think you're ~so mysterious~, but beyond your tricks you're just a dork."

Anarchy smiles and tilts her head. "A cute dork, though."

Then she turns around and looks at the crowd. "So... if it's a personal field, does that mean I have to stay close to you?"

Not taking any chances to be seen... or maybe just taking this chance to be close to her boyfriend, Anarchy holds onto his hand as they walk and doesn't stray far from him. As the two walk through the mall, Anarchy stares at all the mundane people going about their mundane lives like they're creatures in a zoo. "So this is what it's like not to be noticed...? I guess I never knew."

Eventually they reach the fourth floor. "Hey LOOK!" Anarchy points excitedly at the entrance to the arcade. "There it is! C'mon! Let's try the photobooth!"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Bar Île de Paris

"If you like sweet drinks, then I'd suggest this." Arsène pointed at a drink on the menu called "Genièvre au Chocolat."

"They gave it a French name, but it's actually Dutch. Jenever. Like gin, I suppose, but this particular one is chocolate flavoured."

He noticed K'Lyathi was staring at him. He thought she looked rather smitten, and smirked.

He had forgotten to mention liquors make you particularly drunk particularly fast. And they were drinking on an empty stomach. Still, it wouldn't be a problem, right?
The conversation meandered around a few topics, during which Arsène tried to learn more about K'Lyathi. He ordered a chocolate Genièvre for her, and said:

"I have to admit I was taken a bit aback by your enthusiasm. You didn't strike me as the sort of person to go drinking." He smiled and circled the rim of his glass with his index finger. He was subtly trying to gauge what she intended to do (Question 1). He still wasn't entirely convinced that she wanted to go drinking with him in good faith, without any ulterior motives. "You just wanted to be somewhere Whisperwind wasn't, right?" He chuckled. "You two really do not get along. Like cats and dogs, is the expression in English, I believe?"

They talked about Whisperwind for a bit, before drifting on to the team and BRANCH in general. He wondered why she agreed to join BRANCH in the first place if she believed herself to be superior to everybody else. He quickly added: "Which is entirely understandable, for the record. You are quite..." He looked down in his glass. "You are extremely intelligent. And resourceful, as I understand it." He looked her right in the eyes. "So purely out of curiosity. Why bother? Why did you take the risk of having an entire team of Whisperwinds you'd be forced to work with?"

After listening to her, he said: "As for myself, I joined BRANCH because I believed I would find..." It was difficult to say he really wanted friends. It would have been even dumber to say he wanted to find love. Did he really? He gave it some thought and concluded that he just wanted to have fun. He wanted to have friends to get drunk with, to laugh at how stupid the forces of 'justice' were, he wanted beautiful, dangerous dames to kiss, he wanted the thrill of coordinating the biggest heist on this side of the Mississippi.

"Because I wanted to find some people who'd appreciate my talents."

On the subject of getting drunk, their glasses were empty! He ordered a Martini for himself, and a sweet cranberry gin tonic for K'Lyathi.

He looked at her and thought that she looked kind of cute in the right light. She had a permanent scowl on her lips and eyes, but this gave her a sort of bossy look that he found surprisingly attractive.

Claude brought the drinks.

Arsène was still feeling rather upset. This hadn't been a particularly good week. First Judas, then Expatriot who turned him down. He didn't know why the latter upset him so much, or why he kept thinking about her while he was nominally on a date with Omega. And he had hoped he could drown his problems with a friend right now, but instead he was forced to make some small talk with a person he barely knew, and barely trusted. At least she was attractive, he thought with a wry smile.

"Man... We've been a team with the others for what, a week now? And it already feels like so much has happened. The first caper went totally sideways," and with a hint of regret punctuating his voice, he added "Because of my trust in Little Judas." He sighed. "I still don't understand. Was he a mole planted by some heroes, or just an opportunist without any morals whatsoever?" He hoped they'd be able to take him out before he harmed BRANCH or his squad even more. He stared at the table while taking quiet sips from his martini. Then, he blurted out: "What are parent-children relationships like for your people?" He might have subconsciously been thinking about his own parents when he saw young mothers walking their children to the arcade or pizza restaurant in the mall. "For us, they're... Complicated. Everyone wants to be free from their parents, or at least they think so. But when they're allowed to just do whatever, and never hear from their dad or mom..." His mouth smiled as always, but his eyes didn't. "It feels a bit lonely."

He was trying to figure out what she cared about most right now. (Question 2!)

They talked a bit about what they hoped from the future and from BRANCH. His glass was empty by the end of this topic, so he ordered a spiced rum for himself and limoncello for K'Lyathi. He was by now getting into the late stages of tipsiness, and feeling quite a bit better than at the start of the conversation.

He observed K'Lyathi again. She was positively pretty, in her own way. Her eyelashes had a certain elegance to them, when she squinted in disgust at the world and they covered her hazel brown eyes. When she was frustrated or annoyed and tapped her fingernails on the table, she played a cute rhythm. Whenever somebody at another table talked loudly, or she overheard somebody saying something stupid behind her, she raised her nose and rolled her eyes like a diva, with a little sigh to punctuate just how much she disapproved. She had a regal way of acting, a certain air of royalty that said she hadn't been born in the purple, but she may very well have been if fate had decided so.

He started testing the waters.

He hoped she couldn't see him blushing underneath his mask. If she could, he'd just blame the alcohol anyway. Her hand was on the table, so he carefully touched her fingers with his own while he talked.

quote:

<Deltasquid> Rolling to manipulate the affections of K'Lyathi
<Deltasquid> sure hope I don't fail this now!!
<Deltasquid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Deltasquid, 11+2 = 13
<Deltasquid> OH YES
<Deltasquid> SMITTEN, BABY

On a hit, they are smitten (or otherwise admiring) of you. On a 10+, take Influence on them.

She seemed responsive enough, so he upped the ante a bit more. He laughed and said: "Are you sure you're not royalty? You have to understand It comes with some big perks, here on earth. You're supposed to treat an empress very well." He affectionately stroked her fingers with his thumb as he explained. "Recognize them for how great they are. Cater to their wishes. Make sure they always feel comfortable and respected." He gently brought her hand to his lips, and gave her a small kiss on the back of her hand, playful enough to laugh it away if she took offense, but sincere enough to imply more kisses may be in for her if she played along with him.

"I don't know how much you've heard about dates..." She seemed completely clueless during the whole thing, but he knew she'd never admit it. That was okay, as long as she tried to follow the spirit of the activity. "But it's a long-standing tradition to up the physical intimacy over the course of it. The further you get before the end of the date, the better the date went." This was true. "And," he tentatively said, "Whisperwind and I have never made out during a date." This was technically true.

He was wondering how he could get her to make out with him, without hurting her feelings. (Question 3) He knew a relationship between two vastly different people would be very difficult and probably not work out in this stage of their lives. It was better not to give her the wrong idea if he could.

And yet, he thought as he finished his third drink, she was absolutely gorgeous. The thought of kissing her hands and neck made him feel giddy, the thought of giving her massages made him all gooey in his stomach. There was something intensely exotic, exciting and seductive about her bossy behavior. He wanted to feel her pillowy lips against his, wanted to know whether she'd overpower him during an intense bout of French kissing. He felt weird; deep down, these were curiosities that he'd never let influence him. They were too different and she was too hostile to make a relationship work that was more intimate than rivals with benefits. But in his current state of mind, he couldn't care about all that.

It was funny. He'd always expected these kinds of days would end with him and Whisperwind getting drunk on a riverbank somewhere, not boozing it up with an alien in a mall.

Marking off the "Get drunk or high with a peer" want if Yami agrees.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 23, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Mall of WUV :h:

"Haha."

"Think of it as delaying action then", Whisperwind smirked, "You did guess my true intentions after all. And have managed to pinpoint my hidden dorkiness. Ten points. Well done, my pretty little girl genius." There's just the teeniest hint of playful sarcasm in his voice. It quickly changed to something surprisingly somber though, as Anarchy brought up the issue of not being noticed.

"Yeah. It's a bit disconcerting at first. You'll get used to it."

Holding Anarchy a bit closer as he waved his hand to make the current line to the photobooth suddenly recall all the way more important things they were supposed to be doing, Whisperwind quickly reached the destination with his date. With an overtly theatrical, deep bow he gestured for Anarchy to enter it.

"Haha."

"Ladies first."

Well, at least his tone was back to normal.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Double Date

Just keep going :) (you also get the message down below)

The three Third Wheels

Expatriot, your in-ear communicator rings up again. A voice connection, this time.

"Wooohoo! That was nuts!" a familiar voice rings. Yeah, it's Zeremiah. "Have you considered doing this professionally? Ahahaha, oh wait, you already are. Job well done, anyway. If we had known you'd literally manage to distract every cape in the district, we'd have gone for more! It was eerily quiet during our heist. Almost lonely... Anyway, jokes aside, we, uhm, borrowed some equipment from Hero Central! ... I still can't believe they actually named it that... So if You want some goodies, head over to your local BRANCH office and we'll share some."

Waiting for a moment, to let that sink in, he continues. "Oh yeah, we also raided their databases. Turns out Little Judas really was a plant! ... I'mma gonna have to fire the guy that let that slip past us. Out of a cannon. Anyway, see ya'll later!"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Mall of WUV | Cards: 2

"...?"

Anarchy furrows her brow and gives Whisper a strange look. For a split-second, her skeptical expression shows that something about his oh-so-casual dismissal doesn't seem to have landed quite right with her.

But it doesn't last. Anarchy's trademark joy is back in absolute full form the moment they reach the photobooth. "Ohh, thank you!" She whips her head back, and makes a theatrical display of being blasted away by her boyfriend's charm as she enters the booth and pulls him inside.

"Alright, lemme just fix up this baby!"

Dismissing a 'New Message' notification, Anarchy fiddles around with a computer device on her wrist. As she does, the photobooth screen blurs, distorts and flickers out a few times until suddenly the display completely changes. The title text that was previously there is replaced with "ANARCHY.EXE'S AMAZING PHOTOBOOTH", and most of the on-screen icons are replaced with her pixellated face. And, of course, there's no mention anywhere on-screen of having to pay money to use the machine anymore.

"OKAY! I got all the overlays and graphics I prepared for the broadcast hooked up in this thing! Let's GO!"

Anarchy mashes through the buttons, going through the options before they can practically even be seen. Is this what high-level photoboothing looks like?!

"Okay, let's start with some standard cute ones! It's how you HAVE to start!" She makes some peace signs with her fingers and smiles brightly for the camera.

3. 2. 1. "ee-ex-EEEEE!" Flash! Click!

"Okay, now put your arms like this, and your hands like this," Anarchy grabs Whisper's arms and moves them around like he's a poor, helpless mannequin. She does the same for his hands and fingers until he's forcibly put into a cute pose, then matches that cute pose with her own.

3. 2. 1. "ee-ex-EEEEE!" Flash! Click!

This goes on a few more times, until Anarchy seems satisfied with the level of cuteness.

"Okay, now we have to make ugly faces!"

Anarchy opens her mouth and stick her tongue out like she's about to vomit nanomachines or something. "Bleeehhhhh!"

3. 2. 1. Flash! Click!

"Okay," Anarchy smiles, "now we have to take just one more picture!"

Contradicting her, however, the photobooth displays a message reading, "HOORAY! YOU'RE ALL DONE!" Anarchy takes just one quick glance at it, though, and then gives the machine a very swift and very forceful kick. Wham!

The machine appears to short out, and the screen goes black for a second until it reappears with a new message:

code:
KISS HER
"OH!" Anarchy pretends to be surprised. "Would you look at that!"

Then she gives Whisper a very expectant look.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Photobooth of WUV :h:

Whisperwind could not help but smile under his hood as Anarchy excitedly did her thing in the photobooth, following her movements (she actually was pretty, in her own way) lazily and going through the motions as he indulged in his own thoughts. It was true. He had been merely joking at first, perhaps playing some delaying action, trying to catch her off her guard, gain some info. And perhaps Anarchy was doing the same? Perhaps she had some plot she was trying to pull off?

But on the other hand, perhaps she didn't? There was a fairly palpable feeling of earnestness to her activities, a clear visceral joy the girl took in the things she did. And earnestness, after all, was the unifying characteristic of both PT and Netherwrath, the two people he actually got along with on the team.

Hell. He could not deny it. His initial plans were in the past. Anarchy was actually, genuinely growing on him in a fairly big way.

"Haha."

"So weird right?"

Whisperwind pulled Anarchy closer, his right hand hooking across her back. The next line he uttered so that it seemed to have been whispered directly into Anarchy's ear, even more silent than his usual mutterings but for all of that much more intimate.

"But I guess we have no choice~"

Then he leaned in and kissed her, using his powers to quiet out all the outside noise from interrupting the moment.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

"Why, thank you." K'lyathi said as she got passed the drink. As she began to drink it, she could feel the effects of the alcohol hit very quickly. There were many reasons for this. For one thing, the aliens in the Kil'thana federation had a lower alcohol metabolism than humans did. Additionally, she had not eaten for most of the day. She didn't really need to due to her alien biology. It didn't help with keeping her sober and she could already feel slightly inebriated after her first drink.

"Hehe, you could say that~." K'lyathi droned, her voice slurring slightly. "He's always so annoying, putting me down, making me look bad and insulting me at every turn. I just wanted to show him that I'm better than him and when you mentioned the date, I thought that if I got you to like me more, then I could prove my superiority."

The alcohol was starting to make her more giggly, blushing slightly as she took in the sight of the Phantom Thief. For a human, he was surprisingly attractive. She imagined herself somewhat enjoying time spent with him. It may not even be a waste! In fact, K'lyathi could imagine spending quite a lot of time with him as she found herself falling deeper into his eyes. The compliments to her ego certainly helped as well.

"I did so out of convenience. You humans make it so hard to get valuable materials to build anything worthwhile. I managed to survive going through scrap heaps when I first landed, but I had bigger visions, better ideas that could not be met with just things found in rubbish. I got approached one day and they offered to give me all the resources I needed. How could I say no to that?"

Hearing Arsene's justifications made her feel like she had found a kindred spirit. No one had appreciated her talents back at home except for her father. Even here, where she was so much more powerful and freakish, she was still disregarded and mocked. It's why Whisperweed got under her skin so much. She mulled on this thought as she continued to drink.

"Eh, he was a dumb human who thought he could get a good deal." She said dismissively, scrunching her face at the thought of Little Judas. "It's best not to dwell on him. As for parent-child relationships, they're similar to you humans I guess. You know, I came to this planet because I just wanted someone to recognize my abilities, similar to you. Everyone disregarded me at home. No one recognized my abilities and thought I was a joke. It's why I want to show Whisperweed just how much better I am than him. No one thinks I'm special or powerful or amazing. They just mock me and call me all sorts of blasphemous names!"

The more time and alcohol went by, the more she found herself entranced by Arsene. He really was attractive, more so than anyone she had interacted with for a meaningful amount of time. She just found herself looking into his eyes with a doofish smile on her face. When she felt his hand touching hers, she giggled playfully. No one had ever treated her like this before. It was such a welcome change and she could feel her barriers slowly starting to fall.

"I wish I was royalty. That way people might actually talk to me like I'm an equal or superior, rather than just being lectured or insulted. No one except for my father appreciated me back home, so I came to this world to ruin them. It's just taking longer than originally expected."

Wow, he was getting quite intimate, K'lyathi wasn't sure how to take it. He was a very attractive person from what she could see of his eyes, but she was not used to such intimacy. The next offer made her pause. She had never kissed a guy, let alone make out with them. It was an entirely foreign concept. He was very attractive, though, and it wasn't like opportunities like this were going to come up that much.

Suddenly, she could feel Whisperweed in the same mall as her. What the hell was he doing? While she kept on looking at Arsene's eyes, she decided to eavesdrop on the conversation using her nanobots. Her eyes opened wide in shock. They sounded really cute together, to a surprising degree. She was surprised to hear Whisper talk in a way that wasn't offensive to someone. She quickly switched it off, not really sure how to take it.

"Whisperweed and Anarchy are on a date and sound really cute together," K'lyathi muttered, looking slightly shell-shocked. Did Anarchy have magical powers that she had kept hidden from the rest of the team? How else could she explain how cute the two of them are. Maybe it was just Whisperweed being his nefarious self, but she had faith in Anarchy. She was a technological master. She did get struck by inspiration, however.

"You know, I will agree to make out with you. However, only if you promise to commit to being together from now on. I don't know what you humans call it, a duo? Pairing? Whatever the case, we shall be an even cuter couple than Whisperweed and Anarchy! After all, you are a very attractive human and paired with a technological master such as myself, we can be so much better than Whisperweed and Anarchy."

It becomes clear to Arsene that with the new idea that struck her, this was probably the only way he was ever going to make out with her. No one had been as intimate or had broken down her walls as much as he had done at this moment. She obviously is enraptured with him to be presenting him with such an opportunity. If he were to betray her, however, it would probably not end well.

<jimmydaladphone> Ok, I'm going to provoke Phantom Thief
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 9+3 = 12
Accept being officially a couple and having a competition against Anarchy and Whisperwind to add a Team to the pool or gain a condition.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: At the Workshop

Diagnostics Complete.

Rebooting...

Please wait...

Welcome back, Ms. Sinclair.

Naomi's eyes slipped open. It had only been a few minutes since the diagnostic cycle started. Pieces of her chassis that had been damaged in the battle had been replaced and minor bits of dust and grit had been buffed off. She felt great and looked even better. The message from Zeremiah played. Equipment from Hero Central? Certainly worth a look. She looked over at the lab team and smiled. "Great work, gentlemen. The Striker Pack was superb in terms of functionality and firepower. Let's work on the revisions based on the combat data. I'll check in on initial plans and projections in a few hours."

After a few more exchanges of pleasantries, she exited her workshop and entered the tunnels beneath the city. The BRANCH office was but a few minutes away at her cruising speed.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Arcade of WUV | Cards: 2

As the kiss ends and the two pull back, there's a deep blush left on Anarchy's face. Even the most maniacal and unbalanced villains, apparently, are not immune to the simple feelings of teenage romance.

Then she opens her eyes. and touches her fingers to her bottom lip. "...That was nice."

"...Also kind of weird." The girl slowly reaches her hand out, into the shadows of Whisper's illusory face. Her hand brushes the side of the boy's actual cheek, and slides down to grab his chin. "I wasn't really sure what to expect under there. But now I know."

"Now I've seen your meatspace face. You don't like to show it, do you?" Anarchy smiles, and nods. "That's fine. I don't like meatspace either. It sucks!"

She takes her hand off Whisper's chin, and then grabs the photo printouts. "Okay, these are mine. And these are yours..." Before she hands Whisper his set, she takes one of the stickers showing the photo of their kiss off of it, and sticks it to his chest. "There."

"Now that was fun," Anarchy grins her trademark grin. "But how about we his up the rest of this place?"

After the lovey-dovey couple leaves the photobooth, Anarchy pulls Whisper by the hand and leads the two of them through the arcade. As they march through, every once in a while she stops and declares "OKAY! We're playing THIS one!"

She's obviously played these games many, many times before. Most of them barely even present a challenge to her. Not only does she breeze through a lot of "tough" sections with ease, but she also pulls off all kinds of glitches and exploits that should not honestly even be possible. Sometimes it feels like she's showing off more than actually playing with someone.

"Would you look at that!" Anarchy brags. "Nine levels on one credit!"

Not that it matters. She's just been enabling Free Play mode on every one of these machines, anyway.

But she looks pretty dang happy. And that's what really matters, isn't it?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Bar Île de Paris -> Arcade
1 curses! added because K'Lyathi is clearly drunk there, you guys.

Arsène was rather surprised. K'Lyathi had been the asking begging party for this date, she was clearly lovestruck, and now she was making demands before he may kiss her? He was not following her long-term strategy, but then again, it was hard to focus on most trains of thought right now as his vision blurred and self-control faded ever slightly.

The idea of challenging Whisperwind in a relationship contest was amusing to him, just enough that he was down for agreeing to this bargain of sorts.

"Haha, wait, I have to do you a favor before you're willing to receive all of my attention?" He kissed her hand again. "That's so... So... Diva! I like it."

He got up and said: "I must go wash my hands. You know where Whisperwind and Anarchy are now, right? You can lead the way when we go."

While passing the bar on his way to the bathroom, he told Claude to put it on his tab. On the way back, before going to the arcade, he sat down next to K'Lyathi instead of in front of her. "Your human form is absolutely gorgeous, but... I have to admit I'm a bit excited at the thought of kissing you in your true form. Not in public, though." He went for a kiss on her cheek, and then, hopefully, she'd agree to seal the deal in this dark, cosy corner of the bar, where nobody would pay much attention to two lovers. Ah, comme l'amour est beau!

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +0 | Sup: -1 | Men: +2

Netherwrath was a little surprised at herself - normally, she'd have beaten the crap out of anyone who'd dumped a bunch of mines on her, but apparently she was in a forgiving mood. She hopped back onto Mongo and started heading towards the BRANCH office. She wasn't the type for a lot of introspection, but Breaking Point's willingness to go off book and attack had ironically boosted Netherwrath's opinion of her quite a bit. Whatever their relationship was going forward, Netherwrath wasn't going to look down on her quite as much.

K'lyathi on the other hand; honestly, Netherwrath didn't know much about her before, but looking at how she'd performed today, she wasn't particularly impressed. She'd been whiny, superior, and had she actually contributed anything, really? Netherwrath hadn't seen any of it. And honestly, the team already had a tech lady, and Anarchy a) was less of a pain to be around, and b) owed her one. What was the expression? Welcome to Earth, motherfucker...

Breaking Point is no longer the Meat. K'lyathi is now the meat. As soon as it can be justified IC, K'lyathi can shift Netherwrath's labels.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

K'lyathi could get used to opening up to humans like this. It probably was the alcohol talking, but she felt much more willing to be open to lesser beings. At least, she told herself they were lesser beings. Maybe it just helped her sleep at night? Eh, she was probably thinking too hard.

As she waited for the Phantom Theif to get back from the bathroom, she decided to continue keeping tabs on what Anarchy and Whisperweed were up to. Tuning into the nanomachines inside them, she picked up on the leisurely activities that they were getting up to. Was it possible that Whisperweed just didn't like her? It probably was. He probably thought he was soooo much better than her and that he thought he could put her down through his words and being absolutely mean and making her feel bad and trying to ruin everything. B-but she totally saw through that...

"Well, there is a dark corner" K'lyathi teased, leading him to the dark corner of the bar. As she did so, nanobots started to sneakily seep out of her, travelling towards all of the inhabitants of the bar and travelling into their brains. Eh, she thought it'd be fun. Plus, you never know who's in the bar. Plus, the Phantom Thief didn't have to know. Once in the corner, she transformed back to her normal, alien form.

"Hehehe, let's have some fun~."

<jimmydalad> going to try to use contagin on the people in the bar
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 7+3 = 10

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Insecure, Paranoid | Location: Underground Tunnels

Expatriot had decided on taking the “scenic” route back to the team’s hideout. Well, the long route, there wasn’t really much to see in the large underground tunnels that ran under the city’s streets. She took long looping paths and criss-crossed her own path in several places to make her route harder for someone else to trace, whether they were going by heat trails, following the vehicle’s exhaust, or trying to track the rubber worn onto the road. You could never be too careful in this damned city. Besides, the casual act of just driving with no real destination was kind of relaxing, the lines on the road blurred together in an almost hypnotic pattern, the sound of the tires contacting the pavement falling into a dull drone. It was almost zen-like, an eye in the storm of her current emotional state. She tapped a finger against the top of the wheel as she came up on an intersection … it would’ve been so easy to take this right, let that feeling of calm carry her right out of the city.

The engine growled as she picked up the pace and went straight. Too much left to do.

She blinked slightly as her visor pinged, showing an incoming call on the BRANCH private line. She’d given YGGDRASIL comms priority over her music line, even over the team line. Still, she hadn’t expected to hear from them for a few days … their heist must’ve been virtually unopposed if they felt comfortable reaching out already.

On the other hand, her team had had a veritable army of heroes after them, and now half of them were out in public being seen together. Of course, most of them had been masked. Either she was being paranoid, or everyone else wasn’t being nearly cautious enough.

“Yeah, things worked out better than anticipated.” She said, trying to keep her voice neutral. That was one way of putting it.

She sighed slightly, looking down the tunnel that would take her back towards the penthouse. A warm shower and a bottle of pain killers beckoned her silently from the darkness. Still, they hadn’t managed to pick up the ransom for the passengers, and no one liked to work for free. As the nominal team leader of the moment, the responsibility of making the group succeed rested on her shoulders, and that meant making certain they remained profitable as well.

“Alright, I’m on my way.” She said, pressing the brake and turning the car around to reorient herself, “Try to make sure there’s something left worth the trip, alright?”

She lined up her wheels with the center of the tunnel again, doubling back as she had been before. She pulled the headphone jack out of her visor and plugged it into the auxillary port in the car’s radio, turning the volume up just enough for her to hear over the echo of the engine, throwing on something with a good bassline. Leaning her elbow on the windowsill, she tapped her finger tips against the roof of the car, leaning back in her seat and cruising her way towards the BRANCH office.

--- --- ---

Elisabeth frowned slightly as she looked in the car’s rearview mirror. The mask was off now, tucked comfortably under her jacket for the time being. She’d taken a second to straighten her hair, try and get herself presentable before showing up to deal with the people who were ostensibly her comrades. Not for the first time, she’d gotten distracted by her reflection. It wasn’t her face that she saw in the mirror, it never was. The blue eyes, the nose, the cheek bones…they were His. Every time, no matter how far she ran, the evidence that she was nothing more than someone’s shadow haunted her.

“Hrmn.” She pressed her lips together into a thin line, pushing the mirror down to face the floorboards, reigning in an impulse to tear the thing off of the mount. That was the real reason Expatriot’s facemask was so concealing, not out of any concern for concealing her identity. When she’d been proud to work alongside Uncle Sam, the domino mask of American Dream had felt right. Now that she wanted nothing from him, she still had to be reminded of his face every damned morning.

Elisabeth tugged on the collar of her black jacket, the symbology of her alter ego hidden on the inside as she’d pulled the jacket inside out. There was no reason to call attention her herself now, after all. She pushed her hands deep in her pockets, hunching her shoulders somewhat to seem smaller than she did in costume and started making her way towards the BRANCH Office.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 3/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Bar Île de Paris -> Arcade

Arsène offered no resistance as K'Lyathi dragged him to the back of the bar, and was too intoxicated and concentrated on not tripping or falling over to notice the nanobots she had released in the bar. With a rush of happiness that overtook his (dulled and drunk) senses, he pressed his lips against the alien's, and they spent a few beats enjoying each other's embrace. They had barely met a week ago, and now he was already making out with this exotic and gorgeous teammate of his. He was excitedly wondering what other beautiful dames the future at BRANCH held for him. Life was good, at least in their little bubble of intimacy.

Marking 1 curses! for resolving his "make out with a peer" want.

Yet somewhere deep down, momentarily suppressed by the alcohol, was a hint of concern that he had agreed to a commitment to K'Lyathi that he shouldn't have. But that was a problem he'd resolve later.

When she finally let go of his head, he had to catch his breath. With a stupid grin on his face, he said: "That was fun. This wasn't your first kiss, was it?" He kissed her again on the forehead.

He checked the clock above the bar, and noticed it was getting late. "Oh dear, we engaged in conversation a lot longer than I thought. Perhaps we can pester Whisperwind and Anarchy at the celebration of our caper instead? We should get some snacks and wine on our way to the safehouse."

Then he noticed he had a voice message from Zemeriah. "Oh, looks like our benefactor has a reward for us. We shouldn't be late, or the others might have picked the best loot already."

We can head to the next scene if Yami wants to move it along.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
End of Issue 1! Do this, plus anything else your mask says to do at the end/start of an issue.

quote:

When an issue ends, choose one:
Cling to your sense of self and strike out on a caper of your own, focusing on your own brand for the time being away from the alliance. Describe this solo caper and how it defines your evolving villainy. Shift one Label of your choice up and one Label of your choice down.
Cling to the safety that others can bring when you are vulnerable, nursing your wounds and indignities until vengeance is yours. Describe to whom you seek succor from, and how they can give it to you. Give them Influence over you, and either clear a condition or mark Curses!
Cling to the feeling of mistrust you felt when one of your own wronged you, as their sudden but inevitable betrayal hardens you to their machinations… for now. Describe why you feel they betrayed your trust, and how you intend to get back at them. Remove their Influence over you.

At the end of a caper, roll +Heat. On a hit, you made the headlines: Hold 1 Infamy. On a 10+, take +1 forward, because your name means something. On a 7-9, you also make some enemies. Choose one: A hero wants payback; a villain wants credit; someone you cared about turns away from you.

As for Whisperwinds secret agenda... it was to get the YGGDRASIL goons to spill the beans on passcodes and patrol routes and such that he could use to infiltrate the local YGGDRASIL HQ. As for what diabolical purpose... find out next issue! (Or maybe even later.)

Whisperwind, how did that info get out?

As for the rest of the team, you make your way to the BRANCH office, one way or the other.

Zeremiah, seemingly omni-present, greets you.

"Hey there! So yeah, the pile of stuff over there? That's for you. Well, one piece each, anyway. And don't think we'll give out free stuff every time you manage to not gently caress up, you just had great timing. You'll have to acquire future goodies on your own!

Everyone, what catches your fancy? In what way are you sure it will be useful?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 25, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Bar Île de Paris -> Arcade BRANCH office

quote:

Cling to the safety that others can bring when you are vulnerable, nursing your wounds and indignities until vengeance is yours. Describe to whom you seek succor from, and how they can give it to you. Give them Influence over you, and either clear a condition or mark Curses!

Long story short, Phantom Thief was tired from the caper and had a rather bruised ego from Expatriot and Whisperwind's refusal to hang out with him. To his surprise, K'Lyathi had been a rather warm companion for his end of day boozing. Marking 1 curses!

On the television in the bar, the channel changed to the 9 o' clock news.

quote:

21:36 Deltasquid anyway, I'm rolling for end of caper heat
21:36 Deltasquid !r 2d6+4
21:37 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 7+4 = 11

On a hit, you made the headlines: Hold 1 Infamy. On a 10+, take +1 forward, because your name means something.

Phantom Thief smiled as he put on his coat to leave. "It seems we have made quite the impression on New Genesis. Yours truly has been caught on tape by a few reporters here, making the daring escape in our getaway vehicle! Look, the news ticker even mentioned me by name!"

And then, they went to the BRANCH office for their reward.

Phantom Thief gazed upon the pile of random assorted crap strewn about the table. He looked at Zeremiah and said: "Hero central stocks such a large, random assortment of goods? Are they confiscated evidence of sorts, or are they all compulsive hoarders?" Perhaps he shouldn't make fun of that, he thought while remembering the trophies in his own room.

He rummaged through the stash for a bit, fishing out a pair of gloves. They were a deep purple colour that he liked very much. The fingers, however, had a special, black webbing between them. "Are these for decoration?" he said while he tried one of them. Zeremiah told him they could temporarily nullify superpowers if the wearer made physical contact. "Now that is nifty!" It would allow him to more or less even the odds in close quarters. "I am definitely choosing these, then. I suppose you wouldn't heist a pair of such gloves every other week for me?" He was only half-joking. These were seriously cool, and he wasn't even upset Expatriot had kept his railgun any more.

quote:

□ Bag of Tricks
You’re never content to be predictable in your line of work, and constantly stealing new experimental technology and equipment that complement your particular skillset. Whenever you steal some new kit, you can write it down as a new ability if this line is empty.
Superpower disruption gloves
□ □ □
Treat the new piece of kit as any other ability. Whenever you use the kit in a cunning and risky way, roll +Trouble instead of +Freak to unleash your powers with it. When the third box is checked, the kit is broken, lost, or recovered from those you stole it from, and you can erase it from the line.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 25, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: 0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Back at the base of DOOM

Whisperwind smiled under his hood as he took a look at a TV on the arcade wall, a special news report scrutinizing their little caper in detail. Afterthought was being interviewed (and Whisperwind noted, to his amusement, that the detective seemed to be missing his dear hat), and he did not mince his words when it came to blaming Whisperwind on basically everything that had occurred. The citizenry might not see him, but rumors of the memory-warping ghost thief would certainly start making the rounds.

Taking a swig from a brand name refreshing beverage he had looted from the Arcade snack bar (hey, it wasn't as if anyone was going to notice them missing), he turned to Anarchy.

"Haha."

"Hey, want to hear a secret? Of course you do. I don't know if you noticed this thing that I was carrying about." Whisperwind pulls some sort of device out of his pocket. It seems to be a handheld vacuum cleaner, with a poorly cleaned peach jam jar glued to it, with strange 'runic' scribblings written all over it in black sharpie. It is in all likelihood the worst crafted prop you've ever seen. "See, I don't know if anybody actually did during our little heist. And I didn't want all the effort I put into my masterpiece go to waste. I mean sure, it's just a distraction, incapable of anything except being ugly, but I kinda visualized people thinking it was like, a nanocootie collector or something the way I waved it over K'lyathi and intended to wave it over the machinery in the control car."

"Haha."

"Yeah, I didn't actually want to go there. It was just to, like take attention away from what I actually wanted to do. Which was kinda easy actually since the alien queen, no matter how much she likes to paint herself as Mastermind, is actually just an inattentive raving lunatic. But yeah, since you're my girlfriend and all, I guess I can confide in you my secret plans. See, I wanted to pry some sensitive info from those goons I brought to the train. Passwords and patrol routes and such because YGGDRASIL has something I really kinda want." Whisperwind pecked Anarchy on the cheek. "You, know, in addition to getting into your heart. I always knew you were smart after all, figuring that out. Certainly way smarter than her, and also less prone to trying to murdering your teammates which is a plus." Whisperwind's illusionary face performed a slightly overwrought wink.

"Haha."

"Speaking of that, it's been a lovely date. But if I want to get any use of this info I gathered I'll have to move fast. YGGDRASIL is probably smart enough to replace this stuff fairly often. See you back at base."

Giving Anarchy a final kiss, Whisperwind was off.

The YGGDRASIL compound somehow managed to be both imposing and unassuming, just another mighty and sleek corporate headquarter in a metropolis of many. However, the inner workings were anything but usual. A highly advanced, closely guarded villainous hideout. Yes, all very impressive. Less impressive to Whisperwind who mainly just walked though the corridors, only ever really needing to concentrate when overcoming cameras and laser detectors. The passcodes did most of the other technical work, and it wasn't long before he had made his way to the main databanks.

Sure, the goons Whisperwind took to the train did not have the access codes to such high clearance stuff, but it didn't take much effort from Whisperwind's part to just wait until some techie with the clearance came and logged in, and then just make them remember more pressing concerns somewhere else. Using the account thus acquired, Whisperwind delved deep into the databanks, searching for the incident Black Lotus had with that crime lord. He copied the crime lord's name, location, and all the relevant pieces of information on that particular incident. Then he deleted it from the YGGDRASIL network, never to be seen again.

Whisperwind smirked. Now the only thing that remained was seeking the crime lord and erase his memories of the incident as well. And then she would be free.

Free, and owing him one massive favor...

Back at the base, Whisperwind shifted through the pile of goodies dispassionately. Not much caught his eye- except, wait, was that a Runic Projector? Nice. He picked it up with a whispered "Dibs", and promptly chucked it Netherwrath's way. It seemed like an obsidian bracelet, with angry red runes drawn all over.

"Haha."

"We have a deal, right? So hey I guess you can keep that, it's a pretty difficult thing to come by. Just slap it on your wrist and the runes should help you channel your demonic mojo into magical blasts to punch things from far away. Pretty sweet right? Should even help you with your accuracy problems."

"Haha."

"Not that I'm complaining. Those are basically half the reason I pay you in the first place."

quote:

Theantero: Rolling End of Caper Heat
Theantero: !r 2d6+4
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+4 = 11
Actually 12 due to Yami allowing us special permission to roll with +5

+1 Infamy, +1 Forward

Due to my agenda I get influence on Anarchy and K'lyathi. I have influence on both already so I shift their labels. Anarchy gets +Superior/-Danger. K'lyathi gets +Danger/-Superior.

quote:

Cling to your sense of self and strike out on a caper of your own, focusing on your own brand for the time being away from the alliance. Describe this solo caper and how it defines your evolving villainy. Shift one Label of your choice up and one Label of your choice down.

Shifting Superior up and Freak down

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 25, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: BRANCH Office

Breaking Point scanned the pile of odds-and-ends. There was some unusual tech in the pile. Some of it seemed oddly similar to Sinclair tech. Was Variable Reduction trying to steal some of their research? Were they in bed with Hero Central? A particular piece stood out, however, as she locked eyes on it. It was emitting low levels of gravitic anomalies, just as her gravity drive did. She compared it against her various databases and soon found a match in registered patents. The Gravitic Booster. Cutting edge VR-tech. They must be working to discover the secrets of her Gravity Drive. The inherent principles behind the device seemed incompatible with flight, at least for the moment, but if her lab team had a look at it they might be able to wrangle additional performance out of her Gravity Drive. If she was lucky, perhaps the area of the gravity control exhibited by the drive could extend past her chassis. It would certainly give her additional flexibility in the field. At the very least, they would be able to boost her speed and maneuverability.

A priority message crossed her HUD. She had made the headlines, it seemed. Fitting. Her contributions to the day's escapades had been quite flashy.

"BREAKING POINT: Queen of the Skies?"
"IRON ANGEL swears vengeance against BREAKING POINT!"
"SINCLAIR INDUSTRIAL (SIN) up 50 in late trading!"

quote:

[11:28:26] <Tricky> End of caper move
[11:28:31] <Tricky> !r 2d6+4
[11:28:32] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+4 =
[11:28:41] <Tricky> Iron Angel wants payback, natch

Technically an 8, but it doesn't really matter! +Infamy, Iron Angel wants a rematch.

She looked at Whisperwind for a moment before turning away. She would trouble herself with his manipulations no longer. Perhaps she would even aid Anarchy in realizing the truth behind her new love -- whether she wanted the help or not.

quote:

End of Issue 1: Clinging to Mistrust (Removing WW's influence)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: -2 | Infamy: 1
Curses!: 2/5 | Conditions:

Wow, she was wrong about Whisperweed's plans. That enough was to infuriate her. But the words that he kept on flinging at her just ripped her apart inside. None of the attacks she did against him seem to have done anything. In fact, it just made things worse. She couldn't just attack him. It obviously didn't work out for her. It made the situation on the train worse and also made her look like a fool in front of everyone. She would need to take a different strategy.

At least she wasn't alone now. She had the Phantom Thief and he certainly seemed receptive to her. He was very much a normal human, or at least, not anywhere near as powerful as she was in terms of mere powers. He had a similar slipperiness to Whisperweed, however, while not being absolutely infuriating while doing so. Maybe she could learn how to keep her temper around the infuriating human. It would certainly help her sanity.

= = = =

Apparently, K'lyathi appeared on the news. She didn't keep a strong track of trivial human news, but there was something in particular that called her attention. The human she interefered with attacking Anarchy, Cyber Samurai, seemed to call her out on particular. Saying something about improving his technology to counteract her abilities or some drivel like that. It didn't really phase her. She had other things on her mind.

Ooh, the humans had a surprisingly rare material. She picked up the raw adamantine, her eyes glistening with excitement. She could create all sorts of fun robots and devices with this. Not only is it resilient, but is also a good conductor of electricity. It was almost like a birthday for her. She noticed Neverwrath being more overtly annoying, however. She must've done something to annoy her. But even with all her strength, she was still randomly throwing it around with no control behind it, unlike her. She was also close to Whisperweed, so she obviously must be like him.

K'lyathi is going to shift Phantom's Trouble up and his Freak down and shift Neverwrath's Trouble up and Danger down

jimmydalad> might as well roll for the caper now
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+5
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 4+5 = 9
Gonna choose the hero option and have the Cyber Samurai want to get payback on me.

Also clinging to my mistrust of Whisperwind and having him lose influence over me for my end of caper move.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +0 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: | Location:

"HahaHAHAhaha!" Anarchy laughs at Whisper's explanation of his agenda. "Was that IT?! Wow, they ARE so gullible!"

She kisses her fingers and gestures in the air like a chef endorsing a fine meal. "Seems like it was a bit much for them, though. Maybe next time you'll need to dumb it down!"

"Hahaha!" Anarchy kisses Whisper as he leaves. "Smell ya later, SWEETIE!"

Anarchy is clinging to the safety and comfort that HER NEW BOYFRIEND WHISPER can bring. She Marks Curses, And Whisper can shift her labels YET AGAIN.

---

"AWWW YESS!! I'M TRENDING!"

Back at home, Anarchy dances happily in front of her computer as she does a proper post-caper inspection of New Genesis's social media services. "I'm trending! I'm Trending! I'M TRENDING!!"

She might not have been able to get any ransom demands, but that didn't matter! This was her real goal! Everybody was talking about her! Some people were even making memes about her! How WONDERFUL!

The only indication of trouble was a single blog post...

quote:

Welcome to Victoria's Photo Blog!

warning: rant ahead

i literally can't believe this, but entire my CAREER has been ruined in one night! :bang: EVERTYHING that i've been working towards has been ruined by some crazy villain that calls herself anarchy??? (who-tf is she)

do you guys remember the work i've been doing towards getting the right photos for the New Genesis Super-Pullitzer Award? they're ALL gone. every single one of them. not a SINGLE backup is left :negative:

you're prolly not gonna believe this, but in that photo shop i set up (the one where i complain about the noise of the train all of the time) i had ALL of my film developing in there when all of a sudden some FIREWORKS come flying in there??? like, i'm not kidding. F I R E W O R K S. like the things that should be OUTSIDE, and not IN A PHOTO STUDIO.

idk how it even happened??? there might have been a hole in the ceiling or wall or something. it's a really old place. (i wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the whole rent thing)

anyway i'm crying, like literally crying over these photos that i put SO MUCH WORK INTO! (if you read this blog i hope u understand... this is my life) :cry::cry::cry:

so after i clean up the place (it almost started a fire!), i check the news and apparently some villain(?) named anarchy did it? i saw a video of her shooting fireworks off the train for some reason. she seems to want the headphone jack back in phones? or something? :iiam:

i don't think she's been caught since i didn't read anything about that. which is crazy since it looks like practically every hero in the city was there? :thumbsup: way to go heroes

anyway i dont think i'm going to be posting on this blog again for a while tbh. sorry. i'm not sure what i'm going to do... maybe i'll go on a personal investigative journalism/revenge quest or something

see ya
-Victoria Malek, Photographer of the Future edit: of Justice :c00lbert:

<Takanago> anarchy rollin for for heat
<Takanago> .r 2d6+5
<Platonibot> Takanago: .remember <word> [+]<data> s/<before>/<after> -- maps word to data in the memory, or
<Takanago> gently caress
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+5
<Platonibot> Takanago: 7 (2d6+5=1, 1)

Choosing: -A Hero wants payback

---

"What's this?" Anarchy asks, as she pulls some fat, metallic orb-like thing from the bottom of the loot pile.

Technically it's an NGX-671 Advanced Technological Assistant Drone, and if it's sitting in this loot pile it's presumably modified by the heroes for some extra-special use. But it's also basically a fat robot puppy.

"Did you steal a pet?" Anarchy gives Zeremiah a 'why would you do this'-type look, but the longer she holds the puppy orb in her hands the more she seems to get attached to it.

Slowly, but surely, a big dumb grin forms on her face as she stares at the generically adorable thing.

"Wan!" The dog orb barks.

"Oh, you've got set to Japanese!" Anarchy turns the thing around and opens a panel on the back. "I can fix that!"

She flips some switches, then the dog barks again. "Arf!"

"There you go." Anarchy turns it back around, and smiles.

The dog waves its ears around, and makes some more adorable noises.

"I'm gonna call him Emoji!"

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +1 | Sup: -2 | Men: +2

Netherwrath rummaged through the goodies until she hit paydirt. She walked out with an old audio hijacker; a handy little device that used special sonic frequencies to override most commercial sound systems. Most combat-grade systems were now shielded against this trick, but everything else was fair game, and there was no better way to make an entrance than having your theme music start blaring from every conceivable angle. Which reminded her, she needed theme music.

====

Netherwrath didn't wait to test out Whisperwind's special new toy - he was fun, but maybe not the most reliable. Still, as a mark of respect, she pointed her hand away from him when she tried out the new blasting feature. It left a very satisfyingly smoking hole in the wall, which made her very happy. "Good call there, boss."

It wasn't until an hour or so later she noticed there was a note in her pocket. She opened it up and read:

Note posted:

Dear Me,

You're about to go get what Whisperwind owes you. If you're reading this and you don't remember getting paid, go kick the poo poo out him.

<3,
Netherwrath

It appeared the system worked.

====

In her downtime, Netherwrath decided to do her own thing for a bit - mostly just picking public places at random to rob or wreck, nothing important enough that a hero'd be there to stop her. Of course, that lack of importance also meant that she didn't really damage or steal anything truly valuable, which was a shame. Still, it showed the public how dangerous she was, despite her obvious lack of planning. And in aggregate, she'd managed to pull enough loot to get a nice little payday for herself. Not a bad way to spend some downtime.

Pulling some solo gigs to cling to my sense of self; shifting Danger up and Superior down as she demonstrates that she's a powerful threat who doesn't really think things through. Also, spending my two Infamy to take A Pile of Cash and Mongo as Assets.

[19:10] Green_Bean end of caper heat
[19:10] Green_Bean !roll 2d6+5
[19:10] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 3+5 = 8

Obviously, a hero wants payback. Honestly, any of them could be after her after what she pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Doubting, Paranoid | Location: BRANCH Office

Elisabeth pushed open the entrance to the Branch Office, keeping her head down as she passed under the tireless gaze of a security camera. She knew she was being discretely swept by a half dozen kinds of scanner as she made her way up to the front counter. X-ray, magnetic resonance, thermal, psychic, radio, and a chemical sniffer helping to establish whether she was armed, bugged, compromised, or replaced by some manner of doppleganger. You really couldn’t be too careful in this city, particularly not if you were the sort whose life depended on keeping a secret.

“Ross.” She said to the receptionist up front, “I was told I’d be expected.” She added, not really clarifying anything. There was a moment where the receptionist turned to examine the screen to her side, a moment where Elisabeth’s heightened hearing heard the low whirr of a mechanical servomotor. Once she heard that, it only took her a moment to notice the vaguely rubbery smell under the waft of floral perfume. A robotic secretary … Elisabeth shuddered to think what Anarchy.exe might do if she noticed.

“Ah, there it is. Follow the green line to bay six, they’re waiting for you.” came the response, sounding natural enough for a synthetic approximation of a voice, though now that Elisabeth was thinking about it her “breathing” didn’t shift properly with her speech, continuing uninterrupted rather than resetting at the end of the sentence.

“Thanks.” Elisabeth responded, more out of reflex than true consideration, making her way through the halls unescorted.

As she opened the door, she blinked in surprise. There was a television set up on a wallmount turned to the news. It seemed that due to Netherwrath’s display there at the end, the team’s operation had become the subject of a special report rather than being pushed back to the six o’ clock news as Expatriot had been expecting. It looked like someone had grabbed footage from a combination of traffic cameras, drone cameras, phone cameras, and of course Anarchy.exe’s own feed that she’d been piping out. Expatriot winched slightly as they showed the footage of her struggling to wrestle the train back under control, seeing the smoke as the rubber burned off the soles of her shoes. Muted as it was, with her face hidden behind the mask so that there was no clear expression of how much she was exerting herself, it was fairly easy to pretend she’d had the situation under control, particularly after she’d jumped off the train and started rushing towards the park. Someone was working out exactly how much force she’d exerted there at the front of the train, and then compared that number against Uncle Sam and Liberty Belle’s highest recorded strength feat.

She had to admit, it felt pretty good to see her number eclipse them both. Between her younger body and the fact that her powers weren’t a diluted copy, she’d always known that she was the strongest member of “the family”. Seeing it in black and white like that, however, bolstered her confidence and pushed her just a little out of the old man’s shadow. Fortunately, the shadow dome that had accompanied Netherwrath’s berserker state prevented there from being any evidence of Maxine casually slapping her around. As long as the mayor’s daughter kept her mouth shut, she might just get out of this debacle with her reputation intact.

[23:22] <JusticeGrieves> Post-Caper Check for Expatriot
[23:22] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+5
[23:22] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 10+5 = 15
Gain +1 Infamy and +1 Forward

As the footage shifted over to K’lyathi, Elisabeth shrugged her shoulders with a slight quirk of a smirk. Maybe the worst of it really was in her head after all. Still, she considered the assortment of goods that YGGDRASIL had managed to pilfer from Hero Central, slowly walking around the parameter as she considered what was on offer.

It was funny how many of these things she recognized. She picked up a blue pistol with custom grips for a moment, silver trim and a four-pronged grappling claw helping her place the device as the Gargoyle’s line gun. His original had been imitated by street-level heroes the city over, but he’d never stopped trying to make improvements to the design. This gun was two years old and carried a chemical line that could accurately fire the aerodynamic grapple claw five hundred feet, though the line’s max test was only three hundred pounds. He must’ve turned it over to Hero Central so that they might take a crack at reverse engineering it, since he was already two versions beyond this. She set it back down on the table, if she couldn’t use it to pull an armored car off track, it wouldn’t survive a stress test in her line of work long.

She considered a pair of golden plugs that sat unlabeled along one edge of the table. Given that they were usually worn under a mask or hood, it didn’t particularly surprise Elisabeth that these were going unlabeled for the time being. They were a kind of psionic dampener, using electrical impulses they created a kind of static in the mind that made it difficult for telepaths to read surface level thoughts or pinpoint a mind belonging to someone they couldn’t see with their eyes. Kind of an edge-case device, but when you needed it, it would definitely be welcome. Unfortunately, the static also distorted ones thoughts somewhat, making them easily distracted and causing powerful migraines when used too frequently, so they’d never really caught on with civilian agencies. She passed them up, even if they might help her keep Whisperwind from distracting her, they wouldn’t do anything against K’lyathi’s nanomachines.

“…No way.” She said, pausing at a golden bracer that carried the stenciled image of a raptor with its wings spread out along the top of it. She recognized it almost immediately, from a brief scuffle between the Blue Falcon and the Atomic Titan when the latter had gone rogue. Slipping on the bracer, she found the hidden rings that her fingers were supposed to slip through, a golden strap fitting across her knuckles as she opened and closed her hand a few times to check the fit. Then, she made a claw with the protected hand and tapped the image of the falcon with the other. Metal plates folded out from the bracer, expanding it from a slender, concealable arm guard into an oversized golden gauntlet whose fingers extended out into steel-shredding talons. Far and away more important than that, however, was the spinning black sphere recessed into the back of the hand.

The Blue Falcon’s Gravity Gauntlet had been designed to increase the kinetic force of his punch tremendously by multiplying the weight of that punch by several magnitudes. When he’d hammered the Atomic Titan with it, the man had been blown clean through a mountain … admittedly, he’d shrugged it off, but the destructive force was proven. Elisabeth thought back to the way Max had casually deflected her sharp kick when the two of them had squared off. Uncle Sam might’ve been able to stop her with targeted attacks to her nerve centers, or might’ve thought to clap air into her ears to deafen and disorient her temporarily, but he hadn’t seen fit to teach Elisabeth those kinds of tricks. It was clear, she needed something to level the playing field between the likes of her and the Roman Behemoth.

“I’ll take it.” She said with a grim smile, opening and closing the mechanical fist and testing the fit, “It could use a little paint, sure, but I can handle that much on my own.” She opened her hand again, spreading the fingers wide and watching as the metal plates pulled back and folded back into place again, somehow becoming smaller as they fit back into concealed mode again. Supertech was always doing weird, impossible things like that, it seemed. She pulled the sleeve of her jacket over it again to hide the bracer, even if it didn’t hide the knuckle duster on her right hand.

Clinging to my feeling of mistrust I felt when one of my own wronged me. Freezing Netherwrath out to remove her Influence over Expatriot.

She closed her hand into a fist again, looking at it with pained eyes. As much as part of her was excited to find, and own, that little piece of history around her arm, another part of her resented the fact that she felt the need to have that kind of strength. Her blue eyes slid over to where Netherwrath was getting a feel for the Runic Projector Whisperwind had picked out for her. She’d thought she’d be able to count on Maxine to back her up, but it had become painfully obvious that Netherwrath put more faith in that hissing windbag than Expatriot herself. Well, if all she wanted was an excuse to be let off the chain and punch heroes, that could be arranged. Elisabeth knew her old partner’s habits well enough to know she’d go and do some solo villainy to reestablish her reputation as a perennial loner. Nothing too eye catching, of course, when she wasn’t in the thrall of her powers Maxine’s survival instincts were almost as sharp as her talent for destruction.

It’d be a damned shame if someone dropped an anonymous tip on the Roman Behemoth as to where she’d be. If she wanted to be a badass and threaten powerless bystanders, let her have a taste of the kind of heat that sort of acting out could draw on her. Hopefully, she’d learn a lesson before she ended up bringing the likes of the Reckoner down on them all.

Spending my 1 Infamy to gain a Vehicle. I’ll detail it a bit later on.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 26, 2016

• Locked thread