Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: 0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Back at the base of DOOM

"Emoji huh", Whisperwind inspected Anarchy's choice of loot with a grin.

"Haha."

"Didn't know you were into cutesy. Not that I mind you acting all adorable. Even if it's in a pretty weeby way."

"Haha."

"Hey, but you folk have fun or whatever. I've got some other loot to go and fetch. Cya. At some point."

Whisperwind disappeared.

~~~~~~That evening~~~~~~

"Sup Jack", Whisperwind smiled as he approached the psion, "Long time no see huh?"

The man, for his part, merely nodded.

"So I hear you too used that distraction. Don't really care much what for I mean, it's not like that is my business. But you know..." Whisperwind rubbed his right hand's index and middle fingers against the thumb, "Whisperwind got to get paid too."

"Haha"

"Yes", replied the man, inside of Whisperwind's head like he was wont to do. "You have performed admirably. Once again. Good work. I had prepared for you something I thought you might like." The man digs into his robes, and retrieves a small, polished black disk rimmed with gold filigree. Whisperwind's eyes widened, even if his illusionary face did not change at all.

"Wow. An obsidian mirror huh? Doesn't this usually go the other way around? Where I give you priceless artifacts instead of the other way around."

"Your performance was exceptional. And I have no clues to pay you with. You may thus have it."

Whisperwind merely shrugged. "Huh. Okay then. Works for me."

"Haha."

The obsidian mirror was no toy. It was a powerful magical artifact, that when presented to a person, mirrored into the viewer's mind not just the world as it was, but also including something that they really did not want to see at that moment. Whatever would cause them great terror or anxiety in context, and most importantly, take their attentions away from the wielder. It would certainly be useful later on.

A quick bout to a specialty 'clothing' store later, Whisperwind was back to the base once more. Since the other were sleeping, it ought to be a simple task to trace runes across the hidden corners. Runes that would send him the echoes and whispers of the base, regardless of him being present. Might as well, not like anybody was there to see him doing it anyway. Of course, Whisperwind was still fairly inexperienced with nanomachines, and the fact that they didn't sleep. His fingers tracing the runes left a clear imprint in their collective databanks, even though he stayed silent during the proceedings.

The next order of business was to pry into K'lyathi's private thoughts. Whisperwind sent a magical whisper through the base, that found its way into K'lyathi's mind, and changed the focus of her dreams, making her mutter things under her breath that she probably shouldn't have. Things that Whisperwind could easily pick up for his own use.

When he was satisfied with his answers, Whisperwind left a pair of cat ears he took from the store hanging from Anarchy's door handle with a snicker. She liked cutesy after all.

And then, it was finally time for him to sleep.

quote:

Theantero: Runifying the Capers base
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 5 = 5
Theantero: beh
Theantero: poo poo that was unleash, btw

quote:

Theantero: Making K'lyathi sleep talk all her Secrets with Pierce the Mask
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 6+2 = 8

I ask:
-How could I gain Influence over you

Shifting Anarchy's labels: -Menace since she's clearly more cute than menacing, +Freak because she is clearly a weeb :v:

I use my Infamy to gain Asset: Obsidian Mirror (basically a psychic fear projector thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: -2 | Infamy: 0
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions:

Still, now was not the time to rest on her laurels. She had plans, big plans. One of said plans was to follow up on that dumb man in a suit. She had his business card, though she will never understand why a human would carry around identification that was so easy to lose. His name was Putney Scruzup and worked closely with the mayor of New Genesis. In fact, he was one of the main advisors! Maybe it was fortunate of her to be caught in that situation and stuck with such an unbearable human. After all, it could work to bear her some fruit in the long run.

As she slept, she felt her nanobots twitch. She could still have a simple interaction with her nanobots while in a lucid state if something significant were to happen. Imprints started to form on their databanks of a magical variety. They were unfamiliar to K'lyathi, but she had a strange feeling that they were connected to Whisperweed. Again. After all, the only other magic user in the team was Neverwrath, and she didn't have the intelligence that Whisper had. Still, her thoughts of Whisperweed became larger and larger and she found herself muttering secrets to Whisperweed, unaware of what was really going on.

K'lyathi is starting to catch onto your game and has made it her mission to basically ignore you from now on. If you want to gain influence over her, you either have to publicly apologize, mean it and make it up to her or make her life such a hell that she has to notice you.

When she woke up, she began carrying out the next phases of the plan. First part, officially fill the place with nanomachines. She wanted ears in as many places as she possibly could. She engorged her mouth open again before the others were awake and let out a cavalcade of nanomachines, who began skittering around the place and finding every single nook and cranny they could find, joining the other nanobots that K'lyathi had previously planted. There were so many nanobots around that she knew she would be able to catch someone coming in.

Her concerns from last night also needed to address. She wrote a note to Expatriot expressing what she experienced last night and how she suspected that Whisperweed must have planted something in their living area and that they should keep an eye out for her. Slipping the paper underneath her door and into Expatriot's room, she went back to sleep. It was pointless locking the door after herself. Whisperweed would just teleport in.

Spending an infamy to gain the asset of a Mole in the form of Putney Scruzup

<jimmydaladphone> Hmmm
<jimmydaladphone> Going to provoke Expatriot to focus her attention on Whisperind
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 4+2 = 6

<jimmydaladphone> Can I unleash my powers to seed the area with nanomachines?
<Yamifenrir> yep
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+3
<jimmydaladphone> jimmydaladphone, 7+3 = 10

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: 0
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Morning.

Elisabeth drew the blinds aside from the full length window that served as the exterior wall of the team’s penthouse base of operations, resting her hands on her hips as she watched the first rays of light reflecting off of the neighboring skyscrapers. She’d barely bothered to get dressed before leaving her room to start the day, wearing a night shirt with an iron-on “Team Valor” logo pressed onto it an a pair of light shorts the only thing she’d bothered with. As with the previous caper, she’d cooked up something so the team could celebrate together after they’d been paid and enjoyed their dates. Since Phantom Thief was bringing a red wine, she’d gone with a cut of flank steak this time around, stir-frying some vegetables as a side.

She’d barely touched the food herself. Once the preparation was done, she’d taken a few more pain killers and crashed into bed. Now, she was up before the rest of the team, and ravenous, her body having burned up whatever calories she was storing while it repaired itself. Well, there was something experimental she’d wanted to try for a few days anyway, may as well cook it up now.

The skillet sizzled and hissed as she squirted a bit of oil into it to keep the contents from sticking. She chopped and diced strange bruise-purple and red roots and tossed them into the pan, watching them change color as the heat cooked them. A savory, if strange smell started to waft out of the kitchen as she stirred it, cracking a pair of eggs and adding them to the skillet where she broke the yokes and set about stirring them into a kind of omelet. Sliding the first one out of the pan and onto a waiting plate, she started making another.

The recipe was something she’d managed to dig up from an obscure website, a niche cuisine page that focused on the needs of superhuman metabolisms, how to tempt those with enhanced senses of taste or smell, and how to prepare something for energy beings whose dietary needs were completely divorced from anything human. This particular recipe came from the support staff of Crag’s superteam, when someone had asked what Dil’tura-ni ate. It was, admittedly, an approximation with some unavailable ingredients replace with terrestrial alternatives.

Hopefully, the familiar smell would draw K’lyathi out of her room. Hopefully, a taste of home would set her at ease. The note she’d slipped under Elisabeth’s door was folded up and slightly poking out of the hip pocket on her shorts. They had to talk.

[14:03] <JusticeGrieves> Expat trying to Extend Her Senses to detect the shenanigans leftin the base by WW and K'lyathi
[14:04] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+1
[14:04] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 7+1 = 8
Marking Angry, because this tom foolery just won’t seem to end

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Back at the base of DOOM

"Haha", comes a laugh from the kitchen corner. Whisperwind was leaning against the wall (how long had he been here? did he just teleport in?)

"Up early I see, bo-, well I guess you aren't boss anymore now are you?" With a little swinging motion, Whisperwind removed himself from the wall and approached Expatriot, hands in his pockets, his illusionary grin wide. "Cooking again I see. You certainly seem to like doing that. Are even really good at it in fact. Maybe should even stick to the kitchen actually, the way that thing you planned went."

"Haha."

Whisperwind opened his palms in front of him in a guarding gesture. "I joke of course." He took a sniff of the pan, leaning in fairly close without asking for permission, "Yeah, joking. See, that actually smells really weird and looks kinda crap? So maybe you aren't such a great cook after all. Was going to ask for some but yeah no way am I getting anywhere close that. I've got way better breakfast options right here."

With a deft movement, Whisperwind dropped some pop-tarts in the toaster. Enough for two, it seems.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Penthouse Suite

Breaking Point's eyes powered on, her sleep cycle completed. The night had been restful, as it were, especially given the lack of overt betrayals by her erstwhile comrades. That surely meant more covert betrayals instead. She needed to extend her power base and form alliances to counteract the machinations of Whisperwind and his ilk. Expatriot was straightforward and seemed as earnest as any could be about making this team work. A suitable pillar for an alliance dedicated to actually succeeding, despite what the others might have in mind.

As she exited the master suite, she found Whisperwind was already in the kitchen and Expatriot was as well. The latter seemed to be cooking a dish that had ingredients did not register in any of her databases. She flagged it to continue searching external sources and turned her attention back to Expatriot and Whisperwind. Her speakers activated, sending her synthetic voice into the room, "And I'm sure that your actions had no impact on that plan? Perhaps if you were able to follow simple directions, the mission would have proceeded more smoothly."

Breaking Point entered the kitchen and turned to face Expatriot, clearly done acknowledging Whisperwind, "Expatriot. Your performance on the mission was satisfactory and the plan itself was sound." Perhaps the juxtaposition of positive feedback against the backdrop of Whisperwind's negativity would open her up and generate data that she would otherwise prefer to remain hidden.

quote:

[10:19:49] <Tricky> pierce the mask on Expat
[10:19:52] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[10:19:53] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10 =

What weakness are you hiding?
How could I gain influence over you?
How can I get Expatriot to join Breaking Point against the WW/Anarchy/NW alliance?

A notification flitted across her display. "New model has completed the fabrication process, ready for deployment on your orders. Work continues on implementing Gravitic Booster into next-gen combat chassis. -R&D" She sent back an acknowledgement and made a note to assign the research division a bonus when funds allowed.

Spending 1 Infamy to gain the Striker Pack (v2) as an asset.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Elisabeth turned her head slightly to look over at Whisperwind spoke up. The man was as difficult to pin down as ever, for a moment she idly wondered if he slept at all. She looked back over to the pan, a quick shake of her wrist stirring the contents as the corner of her lip rose in a slight smirk.

“My first year of life, I was only fed intravenously.” She said, shrugging her shoulder slightly, “I like food. It reminds me I’m free.”

“If you let me remember you in the mornings a bit more, maybe I’d make something more to your tastes.” She added, quirking an eyebrow at him. “Still, it’s good you showed up. I’d like to talk to you as well … though a bit later.” She flipped another of the queer omelets onto a second plate.

“How about over lunch?” she asked, “No shouting, no threats. Since you don’t care for my cooking, you can pick a public venue. I’ll pay.”

Elisabeth looked the other way as she put the pan in the sink and began to was it off, holding up a hand to Breaking Point for the moment.

“Let’s not start pointing fingers.” She said as Breaking Point mentioned Whisper Wind’s antics during the mission, “My suspicions aside, Whisper Wind was instrumental in keeping the train’s passengers under control. I pushed him on an issue, and he pushed back.” She took a moment to crook the other eyebrow at Naomi in turn.

“If I wanted to be on a team that would just roll over and take people’s poo poo, I might’ve given you some heat over smashing him into a wall earlier.” She said, bobbing her head before she turned back to cleaning the pan.

“That said, yes, we could stand to be more cohesive. I’m hoping to make some inroads on that.”

- Elisabeth is still hurt for one, even with her recuperative abilities she’ll need another day to be combat ready. That might be contributing to her current diplomatic approach.
How could I gain Influence over you?
- Easiest way would probably be to drive a wedge between Netherwrath and Whisper Wind (some residual bitterness there), supporting her next Caper would also work (whether or not it’s a Seconding).
How can I get Expatriot to join Breaking Point against the WW/Anarchy/NW alliance
- Expat might be resistant to a counter-alliance, she doesn’t want to split the team in two. That said, she’s basically already in your corner as she sees Whisper Wind as a divisive element that needs to be curtailed, he just has too much influence to oust at this point.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: | Location: Penthouse

"HEEEE-EEEEYYYY!" Anarchy cartwheels into the living room while yelling at a volume that is sure to be appreciated by everyone else this morning.

She's wearing... the same clothes she was wearing yesterday? Or very similar clothes? Maybe another identical set? It wouldn't be out of the question, especially in this business....

Anarchy lands on her feet and sniffs the air. "Do I smell... pop tarts? And..." She sniffs again. "Something... else???" She makes a confused face, which is either a sign of the breakfast's unique smell, or her lack of expertise with food that isn't crammed with sugar and other junk.

"Hey, Ex-Pee! Hey, Bee-Pee!" Anarchy smiles and waves with both of her hands, seemingly immune to any of the negativity that may have been going around the kitchen. Then she turns to Whisper and gives him an extra-special wave. "Hey, Sweetie!"

Then she pulls a cat ear headband out of her pocket and smiles mischievously. "Look what I found on my door this morning! I wonder who left it there!" She gives her boyfriend a playfully suspicious look. "Hmmmm?"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 28, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Breakfast of DOOM

"Lunch?"

"Haha."

"Sure, okay. Mostly when I go to restaurants I just make the people there order what I want and then steal it. Has worked pretty well thus far. But yeah works for me." Whisperwind's fake eyes shifted from side to side for a bit, and he could be faintly heard snickering his hissing little laugh under his breath, "So have your little breakfast chat with whomever you wanted to. I'll just sit right here eating my pop-tart, not bothering you in any way."

Whisperwind then turns to Breaking Point, apparently ready to air some sort of reply when Anarchy bursts into the room, filling the airwaves with her over-excited blather. Well, at least it was cute blather, and Whisperwind smiled through it all like a champ, wiggling the fingers of his right hand at her in response to the wave.

"Haha."

Whisperwind handed her a pop-tart.

"Yeah, that's a good question. Must've been a home invasion? Or maybe one last magic artifact left by that one dude? Maybe you should don it and check it out for hidden powers? Seems like a winning idea to me."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +1 | Sup: -2 | Men: +2
Curses! 4/5 | Conditions:

Netherwrath swaggered into the kitchen, bed head flaring and wearing patchy clothes that smelled like they hadn't been changed in a while. Seeing Ex-Patriot playing chef, she didn't bother asking before loading three people's worth of weird omelette onto a plate.

She plopped herself next to Breaking Point and Ex-Patriot, probably interrupting whatever secretive conversation they were having. Mouth full of weird roots and eggs, she jabbed a fork in the direction of Whisper and Anarchy, as well as the rooms belonging to K'lyathi and Phantom Thief. "So, I guess we're the ones not loving, eh? That's fun."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Haha!"

Anarchy laughs at Whisper's joke. "Ohhh! Well if that's the case, maybe I should!"

She takes off her hat, throws it onto the table, then slooowly puts the set of cat ears on her head. "I think I feel it! Wait! No! I..." Suddenly her right arm jerks back, as if it's possessed by phantom force! "I... can't control it! I...!"

Anarchy struggles with her clearly possessed arm. It moves around erratically, in apparently uncontrollable fits. "Definitely! Can't! Control it! Oh no!"

Then in one final, dramatic movement, Anarchy's hand curls itself up into a paw. Then she looks at Whisper and winks as a cat-like smile forces itself onto her face. "Nyaa~!"

She keeps this up for a few seconds, until a certain remark seems to pop her bubble.

"HEY!" Anarchy stomps her foot on the ground and drops her cat act instantly. She makes an extremely annoyed face, then grabs the pop tart from her own plate and throws it at Netherwrath. "What the HECK!"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 29, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Elisabeth’s hand snapped up reflexively, the warm pastry slapping into her palm as she plucked it out of the air. On a good day she could deflect a bullet in flight, and while this was far from a good day for her, a hard pitch of a non-aerodynamic item was practically child’s play. The only real hard part was catching it without crushing it in her hand.

“Oh? Is Mongo still holding out on you then? I thought for sure you’d make an honest chopper out of him by now.” She said, the sly smirk on her face implying that she was joking more than anything. To punctuate the statement, she bit through the lightly toasted crust, tasting the warm gooey filling inside. She made a bit of a face and looked at the steaming turnover in her hand. Chocolate, not her favorite.

“How’s that treating you, by the way?” she asked, gesturing towards Netherwrath’s plate with the crisp breakfast treat, “The Federation’s tubers have a surprisingly long shelf life. I thought you might actually get a chance to chew something before it turned to compost on you for a change.”

She took another bite, finishing off about half of the pastry before setting it at the edge of her plate and attacking the strange dish herself. Of course, Elisabeth knew that none of them had gotten that far yesterday. Her nose tended to pick up the scent of it clinging to people, after all, but she’d learned the hard way that people preferred not to advertise that kind of thing. Of course, there were other things that her senses were telling her as well. K’lyathi’s scent was everywhere, for example, and there was the faintest itch in her skin. The whole place was thick with her nanomachines, Elisabeth would guess … and why not? There was a slight change in the acoustics of the penthouse as well, like an echo that should’ve been reverberating off the walls was being captured and held. A surreptitious glance around let her pick out a faded symbol pressed into a shadowed corner alongside the refrigerator, if she looked around she bet she’d fine more.

She chewed slightly longer than she had any business doing, letting the food turn to a tasteless mush in her mouth before she swallowed. She was so tired of the place that was supposed to be their sanctuary being a battlefield.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Breakfast table

Arsène's door opened. He walked out with slow, methodical, some would say robotic, movements and stood in the doorway to the kitchen for a few seconds before saying. "Bonjour."

His eyes had a distinct red shine to them. He was wearing a velvety purple pyjama with a Fleurs-De-Lis pattern, and holding a bottle of red wine in his left hand, which he carefully placed on the table on Expatriot's side. "I'm not drinking any," he flatly stated. Then, he filled a plate with Expatriot's cooking and slowly worked on chomping it down. His stomach felt upset, poisoned even, and his head was hurting with every pulse of his heartbeat. He could barely taste her cooking on his dry tongue, but he was extremely grateful that it felt and tasted greasy and fatty. This meal would hit the spot.

He got up to pour himself a glass of tap water, which he downed in one go, and filled a second one before going back to his seat next to Whisperwind. He gently poked him in the ribs and whispered, with an exhausted yet satisfied smile: "Call me Captain Kirk."

He took a few more spoonfuls while texting his parents. They hadn't exactly asked him why he hadn't come home tonight, but he nevertheless felt the need to keep them up to date.

"I slept over at a friend's place. We had an enjoyable evening but it was too late for the last bus home."

Minutes later, his mother answered:

"Ok"

He sighed and wondered if his father was too busy with something to even answer, when it suddenly hit him that yes, his band had to play at an event in New Genesis later this month. Practice was probably in full swing.

Where were they playing again? Oh, right, he remembered! It was a fundraiser for some new project by Diamond Dust!

He thought about this for a few seconds, then cautiously tried to plant the idea for their next caper in everyone's minds.

"I heard Diamond Dust is holding a fundraising event this month. Did anybody happen to hear the details of that?"

They still had a few weeks to decide before it transpired. But it'd be nice to have them reflect on it for a while, because he just realized he'd be expected to be present, and that he'd be able to sneak the rest in unnoticed at this masked ball. He would have rolled his eyes at the thought alone if they hadn't hurt so much.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Issue 2, Start!

Ex-Patriot

Yup, there's Nano-machines, and runes of some unknowable purpose, and ughh these two just won't stop will they.

----

A few weeks later...

Everyone

So, you all just learned a thing. Turns out, you actually can't live of BRANCH's pay alone. You did get rewarded for the last Caper, but it's very quickly gone given just how expensive everything is in here.

Having received no further instructions from BRANCH so far, you rapidly realize you're going to have to strike out on your own soon.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 22, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

What was this oddly appealing smell? K'lyathi was certainly not expecting to experience such a sensation while on Earth. She drifted out of her room, wearing her usual clothes. She refused to let the others see her in anything else. Except maybe Phantom Thief. She still had a soft spot for him. She gave him a soft smile as she entered the kitchen, which almost immediately changed to a frown at the sight of Whisperweed.

"Greetings everyone." She said, taking a seat in front of one of the omelettes Expatriot had made. "I must admit, I am surprised you managed to conceive of such delectable food. I had all but given up ever experiencing such sensations on my senses when I left my homeworld. While I can tell it is inferior to what is created back at my homeworld, I still appreciate the effort. After all, this planet does not have many of the things that make food so good back home."

She tried to hide her gritted teeth as she gave Expatriot a compliment. Complimenting a human felt sickening, especially if it wasn't one that she was attracted to. However, she recognized that she was at least competent. She also knew that trying to be alone on this planet was a horrendously bad idea, sadly. She needed allies and while she certainly was happy to work with the Phantom Thief, she would need more people. Whisperweed was out of the question and Neverwrath and Anarchy were too closely associated with him. She needed to talk to Expatriot and Breaking Point. Breaking Point wouldn't be difficult. Expatriot probably would.

She unhinged her jaw to completely consume the omelette. It was surprisingly good for the meager resources that this planet had in comparison to her home.

- - - - -

It had been some time since that breakfast and K'lyathi was looking stressed as she talked to the group, conveniently ignoring Whisperwind. She'd taken it upon herself to not let him get to her and just ignore all of his barbed words. It was a struggle, but she was slowly getting the hang of it.

"We should probably do another scheme. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I personally am running low on the resources necessary to survive here. Why does everything have to cost so much? It's such an inconvenience."

She frowned at nothing in particular as she began to think of ideas. She didn't want to be the one to be in charge of making a plan. Expatriot did not look in good shape and she had earned enough of Whisperweed's ire that he'd probably go out of his way to spite her. She will bite her tongue, as difficult as that would be. She had to learn to adjust to the world she was on, annoyingly enough. It frustrated her to no end, but she had to gain the upper hand, especially after how last mission went.

"I am not too familiar with this world, so does anyone have a good way to get access to many resources quickly?"

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 29, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

"Man, me and Mongo, are doin' just fine. You've gotta try escaping a buncha crappy heroes on a flaming motorbike; that poo poo's transcendent." Netherwrath winked and took a huge bite of weird omelette, clearly enjoying it. "Yeah, it's nice because for once I know it tasted like garbage before I picked it up."

====

At the big team meeting Netherwrath had her feet up on the now much-faded sofa, picking her nose and flicking her findings at the window. She clearly didn't share in K'lyathi's sense of urgency. "I mean, while you were bitching about Whisperwind, some of us smarter people were busy getting villain poo poo done. Personally, I've got a ton of money. If you ask real nice, maybe I can float you a loan."

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Expatriot crossed her arms, leaning against the wall, a gloved finger tapping against the sleeve of her coat. She was wearing the mask in the penthouse, which she used to avoid. Still, the incline of her head was enough to guess that she was looking at the window with a sense of disgust. Ultimately, Elisabeth hadn’t been able to adjust to the accommodations that YGGDRASIL had arranged for the team. She’d stuck it out for a full week, wanting to stay close to better gauge the group’s development. Unfortunately, it rather quickly became apparent she preferred a clean house, which immediately was followed by the revelation that if she expected to keep the place in order she’d have to resign herself to picking up after a half-dozen adolescent super-criminals. She never kicked up a fuss, never shouted at anyone over their habits. One morning, no smell of breakfast wafted out from the kitchen and her room was cleared out. The only thing she’d left was a note stuck to the refrigerator that said “I need some space: X-P”.

“Hmn … yeah, I guess it’s been long enough that we can move safely.” She said, nodding slightly, reaching into her jacket and producing an over-sized smartphone … or a very tiny tablet, it was a little difficult to tell the difference. “Really, I’ve had a job lined up for a while. After the train job, I wasn’t really sure we had it together enough to pull it off, so I kept it to myself.”

“Still, the money is good,” she said, placing the device on the center of the table. The screen remained black for a few moments as she pushed a recessed button along the side, an ellipses slowly appearing dot by dot before fading out and beginning again. “Assuming we can actually work together.”

“This,” she said as the screen lit up, revealing a youngish man of oriental descent, round features and a crisply pressed gray suit giving him the impression of someone who’d lived well, though his smile had a cruelly cunning twist to it, “Is Takeda Urameshi. He’s a producer for the New Horizons media conglomerate based here in New Genesis, he launches and chews up more careers in this town than the scrubbots find cigarette butts. He owns an estate out on west end.” She said, sweeping her finger across the screen and changing to a floor plan for a three-level building with two wings.

“There’s a token private security force, but they’re lightly armed. Concealable vests and pistols, they’re all former military veterans but not much of a threat for the likes of us.” She said, a quick tap of the screen highlighting points throughout the floorplan, “The bigger problem is the automated security. Motion sensors, IR trip-beams, roving drone patrols, concealed turrets, the works. The security system’s AI recognizes staff and guests through a combination of facial recognition software and badges which the guns will not target. The problem is that the badges all transmit unique codes, so it won’t be as simple as grabbing one and cloning it. If they detect a security breach, it’ll send out a silent alarm to Blue Manchurian Security, who’ll send a power armor clad response team to further complicate things.”

“Really, we’re lucky it’s this easy. Takeda doesn’t realize what he has.” She said, sweeping to the next image, a fleet of expensive looking import cars with extensive body work arrayed for display, five of them were circled.

“Takeda’s grand-uncle, Ryoga Urameshi passed away last month. The world at large doesn’t know this, but Ryoga was part of a super-science Kaiju Buster team back in the 80’s. They mostly focused on fighting the warganisms of the Biomega Empire under the callsign Protectron-5” She waved a hand dismissively in front of her face, “Ancient history, but the Protectron-5’s power core harmonization linkage was black box supertech, and after a radioactive samurai crayfish pulverized the Photon Labs the blueprints for them were lost.

“This photo,” she said, tapping the table for emphasis, “reveals that Ryoga kept the component vehicles of Protectron-5 after the team was disbanded, hidden away in a fleet of other flashy vehicles to avoid detection. That collection was bequeathed to Takeda, it’s on his estate’s grounds right now. So far as I can tell, no one else is acting on this information. Heck, I only recognize the vehicles because –“ she paused, her voice turning tense for a moment, “It was in the old man’s files.”

“I have a buyer lined up.” She said, crossing her arms across her chest again, “The son of a rival scientist to the old Photon Labs. Apparently his old man developed a sixth vehicle to function as a power-up for the combined giant robot, but it was never used. He’s willing to pay well over the market value for the cars.” She shrugged slightly, “But only if we deliver the whole set, and in good condition.”

“Like I said, it’s not the kind of job we can just blunder through, but the payoff is good. Takeda’s estate offers a lot of targets of opportunity as well. Jewels, art pieces, information on the local entertainment industry we could sell off for a decent price. None of them are really worth the main target, but together we stand to make a fine profit.” She took a step back and gestured graciously to the assemblage.

“But, I’m sure one of you has something … easier.” She offered, turning over the floor.

[02:59] <JusticeGrieves> Expatriot makes a Birthright Roll
[02:59] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6
[02:59] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 5 = 5
Dad’s attention is still elsewhere. Marking Curses!

Also, Breaking Point: I feel a little bad the timeskip invalidated the Weakness from your Piercing the Mask before it even had a chance to come up, have an alternate:
- Expatriot’s losing the faith. She hasn’t committed to anything yet, but part of the reason she’s putting more distance between herself and the rest of the group is that she’s considering an exit strategy.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Penthouse

Phantom Thief listened attentively as Expatriot made her case, and shook his head ever so slightly when she mentioned she had a buyer lined up.

"Expatriot, if I may," he said, and he got up from his seat to reach into his pockets, "Your plan hinges on the goodwill of a career criminal to pay us for our job. And it sounds like any publicity would hinder this job rather than help it. I think we should be making a name for ourselves, and go from A to Z all by ourselves."

He pulled out a few flyers and slid them on the table for everyone to see. They read:

"PROTECT OUR NATIONAL FORESTS

NEW GENESIS FUNDRAISER

Special guest: The one, the only, the superhero DIAMOND DUST"

It had an image of Diamond Dust fighting wildfires in California. "No mention of his proteges getting soundly defeated by us, however. Maybe we should remind the world of his incompetence?"

Phantom Thief flipped a flyer on its back and pointed at some small letters. "Half of the fundraiser goes to Diamond Dust's private marketing enterprise. That is to say," he said with a hint of reproach in his voice, "It goes towards building Diamond Dust merchandise or licensing tv-shows."

"My parents are both invited as special guests, because my father's band will be playing that night. Of course, they can bring their families, so I more or less have to be present as well. The good news is that I have insider info from the organisation of the event, through my father."

Phantom Thief produced some contracts, non-disclosure agreements, the musical programme, and some e-mails. "Tomorrow night, around 6 PM, there will be a reception at Diamond Dust's economic headquarters, on the penthouse levels. Because yes, he has the money to convert three stories into an elaborate apartment with dance hall and concert room. The idea is that everybody should be thankful of New Genesis heroes' contribution to society, and something about "all of us being heroes". This means it's a masked ball." He raised a finger and the corner of his mouth. "The perfect cover for slipping in while disguised as random, masked nobodies, before we change to our real uniforms and steal the show.

Because a show it will be. The entire event is being televised and broadcasted. Around 8PM, multiple speakers will take the floor to discuss environmental issues and how Heroes can help fight them. Diamond Dust himself will hold the main speech where he will plead for the attendees and viewers' contributions to his fund. During the entire night, people will be able to donate money to his cause, and at the end of the event, a billboard will light up to show the final amount gathered."

"Now," Phantom Thief punctuated this word with exceptional gravitas, as if to wake up those who had fallen asleep, "This is where we get to the interesting part. Several companies and organisations have already pledged a certain amount beforehand, more or less as a feel-good measure to inflate the figures should the donators' turnout happen to be low. This means that there will be at least 600,000 dollars gathered by the end of the night. However, I know the organisation decided to switch the LED display as a last minute arrangement, and swapped it for a 7-figure sign. I believe they expect to break the 1-million mark."

"The money, however, does not go straight to Diamond Dust's fund. Rather, the collected donations go to a separate bank account during the event, after which the total amount will be displayed and then transferred to their final recipients. As I mentioned, half of it to Diamond Dust's marketing company, and another half -supposedly- to the environmental fund.

I have no problem taking money from a fake 'hero' like that." Phantom Thief pronounced the word sound as if it were a particularly severe insult. "To give himself a fat half of the cut is probably a little-known fact that the donators would be interested to hear. I propose we steal it for ourselves like this:

We get insider access to the event, under the cover of masks for the event. No, not our real, villainous masks, but generic Venetian masks until we get the caper going into full action.
Secondly, one of our techies - I was thinking Anarchy - Changes the credentials of the bank accounts the donations will be slushed to by hacking into their system.
Thirdly, we steal the show just as the final amount is being tallied. I'm thinking about turning off the lights, blaring some sort of theme song on the radios, and yours truly will appear on stage to announce how we are taking the money for ourselves. We will call out Diamond Dust's greed and deception of the public, and publicly condemn him to a fine that happens to coincide with the funds raised.
And then we bail, hopefully causing some panic and material damage on our way out. I thought Netherwrath would enjoy that last part. This should cause enough chaos to ensure nobody pays much attention to the funds. We will convert them to some cryptocurrency and send them to a phony account somewhere in, say, Switzerland. This should erase our traces. Then, sometime later, we will simply cash it in at an ATM or somesuch."

Phantom Thief theatrically bowed to the assembly, to thank them for their attention.

"I would like to reiterate the advantages of this caper over Expatriot's. Firstly, we do not rely on a mysterious benefactor to pay us. What we grab is what we get. Secondly, it will be higher profile scheme that will increase our infamy tenfold compared to Expatriot's. Thirdly, we will even have the public opinion on our side and deal a blow to Diamond Dust's reputation. He couldn't protect his kids against us, and he couldn't even protect his finances. He will have not much left after that, I am afraid.

And of course, as with Expatriot's plan, you're in a rich man's penthouse. Grab some paintings or gold cutlery on your way out, if you so desire."

Phantom Thief made no notice of the huge downside this plan would have, hoping none would think too hard about the fact that they'd tackle a full-on, honest to God, adult superhero. He was sure they could more or less distract him during the smash and grab, but Diamond Dust wouldn't let such an aggressive invasion of his property slide. And yet, the thought was thrilling to Phantom Thief. It wasn't even about the money itself (though more money was always good), it was about taking Diamond Dust's pride as a trophy. There was something about heroes' aggressive public relations and marketing that hit a sore spot for him. Shouldn't they be working on doing good instead of looking good? He wanted to remind Diamond Dust of the virtue of asceticism.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 30, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: Angry, Doubting, Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Expatriot turned her head to the side slightly as she listened to Phantom Thief’s proposal, though she didn’t interrupt.

“You’re about the last person I expected to have a problem with the light fingered approach.” She said simply, shrugging her shoulders slightly.

“You must not think much of me if you’re taking shots at the buyer.” She added, tapping a finger against her arm, “We’re all career criminals here, so that’s hardly a point to judge on. I took some time to vet him. He’s definitely got the money, and some history in hiring more active super-criminals to get around pesky restricted materials laws. Criminals who, for the record, all got paid. Even if he wasn’t reliable, it’s still a covert combinable giant robot weapon, lining up another buyer would be child’s play. Dr. Proghast is just willing to pay more because he has an emotional investment.” She gestured across the table towards Phantom Thief, “Does that dispel some of the ‘mystery’ for you?”

“Besides,” she said, picking up one of the flyers with a picture of the venue on it, “You’re kind of neglecting to mention something here.”

“This thing is being held at Diamond Dust’s headquarters. He’s going to be there, and he’s going to need to be dealt with.” She said, tapping the “Special Guest” notification to make sure people caught it, “Me and Netherwrath met up crashing an event like that, one hosted by a normal business man, and we still ended up fighting two to one odds against a bunch of heroes.”

“Anyone care to guess how many more heroes someone who trades on his position as a hero is going to have in his social circle? Not half-trained kids like Nova Guardians either.” She said, tossing the flier back onto the table.

“The rest of it I’ll agree with. It’s a higher publicity job, and it might just finish Diamond Dust publically. You just have to accept the x-factor of a crowd of bystanders and more danger.”

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 30, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Penthouse Suite

Breaking Point's eyes widened, "Protectron-5? I heard it was scrapped -- totally destroyed in the last battle. That black-box tech is no joke. If it exists and if I can get some readings from the vehicles before we turn them over, you have my vote. My facilities are also available to repair any incidental damage inflicted during our escape. Hell, even if the buyer flakes, Sinclair Industries would be glad to match that price." A kaiju-buster would be the perfect weapon for her vengeance against Variable Reduction. If she could reverse engineer the design or even discover the secret behind core harmonization, Sinclair would be positioned to dominate a new market in the ongoing arms race. Not to mention the applications it could have for her combat chassis, of course.

Seconding Expatriot's caper.

She sniffed dismissively as she listened to Expatriot and Phantom Thief trade jabs, "Don't listen to the naysayers, Expatriot. This defensiveness is only weakening your case."

quote:

[08:36:48] <Tricky> cow/rebuke Expat
[08:36:50] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[08:36:51] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8 =

Clear condition, mark potential, or shift labels if you respond.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 30, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

"Haha."

Whisperwind, in his typical manner, was leaning on the wall in some out of the way corner.

"I dunno. Balls have never really been my thing. They make me feel ignored." His face performs an almost comical, exaggerated frown. "But giant mansions? Evading detectors? Looting priceless artifacts? Now that's basically my job." Whisperwind seems to mull over the details, his face springing back to its usual appearance. "Yeah, there's a good little plan. I like it."

He saunters over to Expat, slapping her on the back in a way that was intentionally irritating and overly familiar.

"Haha."

"Turns out that maybe you can put a decent idea together after all. I'm with you on this, boss."

He turns to Anarchy. "Don't you think so too, honey? You'll get to hack turrets and laser trip wires and poo poo instead of having to redirect bank funds. And there's the fact that even more supertech might be in there for us to grab." He walks over to her and gives her a little kiss. "Sounds like a good time right?"

quote:

Theantero: actually, going to Pierce Expat's Mask because I want that Influence
Krysmbot: Theantero, 10+2 = 12

I pick:
-How could I gain Influence over you?
-What weakness are you hiding?
-How could I get your character to stay out of K'lyathi or BP's little gangs?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 30, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

K'lyathi rolled her eyes at Neverwrath's comment. She didn't care for Neverwrath, especially since she revealed to be closely allied with Whisperweed. She thought she could use her to observe the human nature, really understand what makes a human tick. That notion was completely lost when she drove a motorcycle into Breaking Point. No sane human would listen to a dumb plan like that.

She stayed silent as the others explained their plans, observing the general nature of the room. Anarcy and Whisperweed were being a cute couple again, that much was to be expected. She would have to give the both of them props for managing to stay together, knowing how volatile and nasty their personalities were respectively. Still, her "boyfriend" did suggest a caper. She probably should second it, but it definitely seemed like the tides were turning against him. Plus, K'lyathi was admittedly uncomfortable with trying to remain hidden in the public eye. That did not go well for her during the last caper, and it's a situation she'd prefer to avoid.

Commanding her nanobots to write a message for him in the other room, K'lyathi looked over towards Expatriot. She was looking especially rough after the first mission. It would do well to get on her good side, especially if she was going to end up being the leader of this next caper, which was looking like a strong possibility.

"Expat, you look awful," K'lyathi stated, walking up towards her. "That certainly will not do. Let me see if I can help."

At once, she began to have the nanomachines inside of Expatriot working on sending out, pleasant shocks through her nervous system, releasing dopamine throughout. Hopefully, it would have a calming and healing effect on the girl who looked clearly stressed. K'lyathi rarely helped others, but she saw no reason why she shouldn't help Expatriot. She was capable, not on Whisperweed's side and could be an effective pawn to use down the line.

The nanobots in the other room had finished writing the note and surreptitiously carried her note to the Phantom Thief.

Hello Phantom, this is K'lyathi. I would love to support your plan, but I have clear enemies in the team. If I show active support towards your side, it would be clear that others will join the other side in retaliation. I apologise for being unable to support you more openly, but work to try to get others on your side. That way, I can be the deciding vote.

She kept her fingers crossed that the Phantom wouldn't be offended by her actions. It was the most logical move in her eyes.

<jimmydaladphone> I'll also cow/rebuke Expatriot THROUGH NANOMACHINES
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 7+4 = 11
Choosing to add a Plan on my side

K'lyathi is also abstaining for now.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phantom Thief finished scanning Omega's note and quickly stashed it in his pocket. He gave a sly smile and put his hands up in a disarming motion. "Hey Boss, if you say you trust the man to pay for the contraband, I'll believe you. You simply asked if we had other ideas, and I gave you the plan I had been brooding on for the past few weeks, that is all."

He was admittedly feeling rather stabbed in the back by Whisperwind and Omega, but he knew he couldn't hold it against them. He would, however, be mightily upset if this caper went wrong.

"Both options are on the table, and I will fully support the one we decide to go with."

It was important to have the moral high ground, he knew.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Standing in a stained hellscape that once used to be a relatively clean kitchen, Anarchy is busy preparing some fiendish smoothie. She empties a full bag of Soylent into the blender, and follows it up by cracking open two large energy drink cans and pouring those in there as well. Then she dumps in a few bags of Pop Rocks to make it even more sugary and, finally, throws in a candy bar to top it off. Because a smoothie should at least have some real food in it, right?

Anarchy throws the empty cans and bags on the floor, where they land in a rough pile next to all the other containers and wrappers she never threw away. And then with a dramatic flourish, she pushes a button and starts the blender.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

By now, it's a sound that everybody has gotten used to. Since Expatriot left, Anarchy's diet has not been exactly reasonable. Most of her meals, with the very notable exception of food that Whisper gets for her, have been either microwavable junk or these hellish, mystery smoothies she makes in the blender. Sometimes at four in the morning. It's gotten to the point where those among you who actually care about basic living standards almost feel relieved when she brings home some fast food garbage to eat. At least there's theoretically a balanced meal in there. And, okay, there might also theoretically be a balanced meal somewhere in some of Anarchy's hell smoothies, but...

Anarchy doesn't even put the lid on the blender when she uses it.

SPLAAAAASSSHHHH!!!

She reflexively throws her head back and dodges out of the way the moment that smoothie material starts to erupt out of the open, roaring blender. She's done this enough times by now that she seems to know exactly what she needs to do. Except put the lid on like a human being. Actually, have any of you even seen the lid in the past few weeks? Maybe it's gone forever...

In what might be generously described as the most basic act of human decency possible, once the smoothie stuff starts to erupt out of the blender Anarchy puts her hand over the opening to try to prevent it all from just splashing out onto every surface of the kitchen. It doesn't do a perfect job, of course, but a good eighty to ninety percent of the smoothie material seems to remain in the blender so it could be considered adequate, maybe.

RRRrrrrrrrrrr....

After an all too long amount of time, the blender dies down. Then Anarchy grabs her favorite mug, the one shaped like a robot skull, and pours a decent portion of the finished product in there. If anybody nearby looked closely at it, they would see it shine and sparkle a little bit.

"Haha!"

Anarchy laughs, sounding a little bit like a more energetic version of Whisperwind. She takes her boyfriend's kiss on the cheek, though she makes a quick little frown when he tries to sell her on the choice of caper. "Hey, it's not just about what you hack, but how! Do you really think I'd JUST be redirecting a bank account?"

"It's all about CHAOS!" Anarchy gestures dramatically with her arms, sending a portion of her drink splashing right out of her mug. "Using the caper as a beautiful CANVAS! Taking every TOOL and PAWN at my disposal and using them to make my MARK on this city! To show them beautiful ANARCHY! To crack this place WIDE OPEN like it is oh so BEGGING to be!"

"Ahahaha!"

Anarchy laughs again, then drinks some more of her awful smoothie. "But it's not like I don't like the idea of hacking all those security systems..."

"Or maybe we could..." Anarchy stares up at the ceiling lights for a little while as she considers suggesting her own idea. It's what a genius like her should do, right? It would just be a shame to keep letting the peons of the group keep coming up with the plans and being the masterminds. Masterminds should be smart, shouldn't they?! And yet...

Or... No, wait.

Anarchy grins as a new idea comes to her. Wouldn't the true mastermind be the person who manipulates the mastermind? A master mastermind? That's RIGHT! True geniuses don't focus on the problem in front of them, they think a few steps ahead! Why should she commit to a gambit that might lose, and even worse might burden her with responsibility?! All of these plans are good enough for her purposes, anyway...

"Hehehehehe!"

Anarchy abstains.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Netherwrath was torn a little. loving up heroes was so far inside her wheelhouse that it was finding Halloween decorations, and endangering bystanders was the cherry on top. But at the same time, there was her deal with Whisperwind - and getting back into Ex-Patriot's good graces might be nice; you had to regain someone's trust before you could go back to abusing it, after all.

Ah, gently caress it. She'd been doing the raging id thing for weeks, and it was getting a little stale. If you wanted a real rep, you needed a plan. Or better yet, some nerd to come up with a plan so you could focus on hitting stuff. "Yeah, I'm with Ex here. Diamond Dust is old news - you don't make it big playing the same song over and over again."

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 30, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 5/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Expatriot stiffened slightly at Breaking Point’s rebuke, the way she turned her head away from the table to look back towards the kitchen the most obvious tell that her words had hit the mark. Elisabeth had taken a lot of social cues from Naomi back in the day, but all of that had simply been the kinds of things she could glean by looking. Despite herself, she found herself listening to the advice of someone who, she admitted, was better schooled in the art of deal making. She let out a deep breath from behind her mask, rolling her shoulders a bit to loosen the tension built up there.

Clearing Angry

“I don’t see any reason Sinclair Industries shouldn’t benefit. I never made any promises regarding the exclusivity of information.” She said, “Just don’t take anything apart that you can’t put back together. I don’t want to develop a reputation for delivering damaged merchandise.”

It was probably a good thing that Expatriot had bottled up her irritation for the moment as Whisperwind slapped her roughly on the back. As with when Netherwrath, the coat stiffed up to blunt the impact, but since she hadn’t braced herself she still rocked slightly from the unexpected impact. Reflexively, an elbow jabbed out to repay his slap with a sharp jab in the ribs, enough to sting but clearly not intended to injure.

“I’m glad you approve. I had hoped that this job wouldn’t bore you as much as the last one.” The light in her visor narrowed to a thin red line as she regarded Whisperwind. Clearly, she was trying to parse how to handle his relative… chumminess.

● How could I gain Influence over you?
- Tell Expatriot about the story with your voice (it’s a vendetta she can get her head around and is pointed outside the team), or lay off K’lyathi for the duration of this Caper.
● What weakness are you hiding?
- She hasn’t been able to prove that the Protectron-5 vehicles she’s targeting aren’t replicas. The possibility is nagging at her.
● How could I get your character to stay out of K’lyathi or Breaking Point’s little gangs?
- Be a better gang, or help her keep the team from splitting into subdivisions.

“No, K’lyathi, wait—“ Expatriot held up a hand to try and stall Omega as she set the nanomachines still dormant in her system the signal. It was immediately apparent that there weren’t as many of them as there should have been. A few weeks away from the penthouse had given her enhanced immune system a chance to start weeding out the host of microscopic machines that had made a home in her body, and it seemed that she’d kept the respirator function in her mask turned on since she’d opened the door. Whether she was that distraught about the condition of the penthouse, or if she was trying to isolate herself from the nanomachines K’lyathi had unleashed into the air was still a up for debate.

“I don’t need to be medicated.” she hissed, finishing unfolding her arms. Of course, the nanomachines didn’t have to wait for her body to metabolize anything before it had an effect. Whatever vitriol she’d been thinking about hurling K’lyathi’s way was blunted … it was just too tough to get angry. After all, it looked like her scheme was going to be selected by a veritable landslide, and there was a certain satisfaction in that. After a few weeks of wondering whether or not she even had what it took to pursue this path she was on, it helped to validate the feeling that maybe she hadn’t made a mistake coming to New Genesis.

Clearing Doubting

She sighed slightly and shook her head, hooking her thumbs in the pockets of her jacket and looking at her PDA still glowing on the table. She looked a bit less closed off, at least, a little more casual. Honestly, she was still a little off balance, since usually when she felt like this it was after doing something intensely physical. Having that slightly drifty, uplifting feeling without having it accompanied by the soreness of a workout or the dull itch of her healing factor putting her back together after a fight seemed a little … well … alien.

“Well, Netherwrath makes four, and that’s the majority.” She said after a moment, extending a gloved hand towards Phantom Thief apparently intending to shake it, “Sorry, Phantom Thief, maybe next time.”

“Alright, let’s see if we can hash this out. I’m going to try and micromanage a bit less this time around, you’re all experts in your crafts. I want to hear your insights into this security set-up, and then we can start narrowing it down into a plan of attack.” She said, tapping a stud along the side of the device again, causing the lens that one would assume to be the camera to light up. A moment later, a larger version of the map of the estate she had shown earlier bloomed from the surface of the table as a holographic model, large enough for the whole diagram to be seen without having to scroll the image on the phone.

Of course, she wasn’t entirely without ulterior motive. She listened carefully to Whisperwind’s input, where he tried to place himself, where he tried to nudge others, the little bits of information he didn’t offer that someone else had to supply. There was something about how quickly he’d come to her side on this plan that didn’t sit right with her. It ran counter to what she’d come to expect from the man … and having both his girlfriend and his “rival” abstain from the vote only further complicated things. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she was missing and undercurrent in this meeting … staying quiet and listening gave her a chance to try and piece it together.

[20:30] <JusticeGrieves> Expatriot tries to Pierce Whisperwind's Mask
[20:30] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6
[20:30] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 2 = 2
Curse your inscrutable nature! I’ll figure out my Advance in a bit…

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Whisperwind staggered backwards dramatically as Expat showed him with her elbow, balancing on one leg and waving his arms in circles.

"Oh no, what cruel fate. I've been struck.", he spoke in a tone that was clearly mocking ,"Whatever shall I do."

And then, without warning, he was standing mere inches from Expatriot's face, leaning towards her with his hands in his pocket. It was a fairly startling experience, even if Whisperwind was not particularly threatening.

"Haha."

"You just don't get it, do you boss?"

"Still you push me around like I'm some minion of yours. Well, I'm not your pawn. Realize that we're only doing what you want because we", and with we, it was fairly clear, Whisperwind meant himself, "allow it." And indeed, that little voice of reason in the back of Expat's mind told her that Whisperwind had a point. That she needed his help. Now of course, the voice was not the creation of her own mind, but this was something that Whisperwind chose not to divulge.

"Indeed, you should be thankful that I'm even considering your plan. PT at least has a known payout, whilst it's clear that you don't even know if what we're looking for is the real deal. Hell, the only reason I'm even considering your plan is that there's something in that mansion that I personally want to accomplish, you know, the very same reason that you apparently mistrust me. Of course, if that is unacceptable to you, I suppose me and Anarchy will just have to take our votes elsewhere. And if snakewoman here gets over her pathetic fear of commitment, suddenly your plan is no longer in the lead."

"You're not in charge", the small voice in the back of Expatriot's mind chimed helpfully. Whisperwind merely smiled his crooked little smile.

"Haha."

"Now of course, that doesn't need to happen. We can still go with your thing."

He leaned even closer.

"All that I require, is that instead of a leer and a shove, I get a dainty little 'pretty please, Whisperwind'."

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: Known Unknowing Expatriot
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+2 = 9

Expat's roll gets -2, and I take Influence over her (fluffed as me convincing her with words/suggestion powers that she needs WW's compliance to get anything done)

I also have to open myself to retribution, suspicion, or judgment. Unless of course, my esteemed Girlfriend chooses to support my plan to show Expat her place (by spending +1 Plan), in which case I don't, and get to clear my condition instead.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 3, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 5 / 5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Penthouse of DOOM

Round illusory eyes leered directly into her own red visor, that faux toothy grin all too close to her own faceless mask. While a part of her did consider what he had to say, another part considered that every spell she’d ever seen him cast had involved verbal components, and that he was within easy strangling distance. With her own enhanced musculature squeezing his throat closed, he’d be all too mortal.

“What I realize.” She said tersely, narrowing her eyes, “Is that you have a bad case of small man syndrome. Indulge your sycophantic fantasies with someone else.”

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 3, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Whisperwind gave an overtly theatrical little bow and slinked back into a corner with a snicker.

"Haha."

"Certainly, I am very small. So small in fact, that sometimes I have to remind others that they cannot walk over me lest they forget. Consider my point made."

Indeed, Expatriot could fume all she wanted, but Whisperwind knew she could not totally ignore his opinion anymore. And that was good enough for him.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

After Whisper's finished with Expatriot, Anarchy does a long, ballerina-like twirl over to his corner of the room. As she does, she leaves behind a trail of of spilled garbage-drink on the floor.

"Hehe."

Anarchy takes a loud slurp of her smoothie, and with her free hand types something out on her phone. Then, a few seconds later, she holds her phone towards Whisper so he can read it.

quote:

lol you just love trying to get your butt kicked dont you

if you just wanted someone to say 'pretty please' you could have just asked me.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phantom Thief shook Expatriot's hand when she reached it out to him, then quickly became irritated at the shenanigans around him. He rubbed his temples and sighed: "Can we move on with the planning?"

He looked at Expatriot and said: "You know my skills. I can get you in and out of the zone of operations, and also commandeer an escape vehicle if desired. Just tell me where I have to be at which point during the caper."

He gave her a thumbs up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Caper is go!

The current mastermind, Expatriot, gets to describe the scene more detailed. The gist of it is, you're a street away from the mansion, during nighttime, and nobody has spotted you yet.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Paranoid | Location: Pool Deck of Mostly Silent DOOM

It was quiet night under a black, indifferent night. The moon had turned her face away from the denizens of New Genesis, and the glow of the city lights hid the stars from the ground. The west end of the city ran along the coast, though the elevation in the affluent parts of the city put them well above the piers and commercial traffic that kept the flow of goods and people into the city strong.

“Hrmn …” Expatriot’s gloved hand clawed into the hard stone, finding a nook just deep enough for two fingers to gain purchase. Her visor looked up the sheer cliff as she dragged her weight higher with that narrow contact point, finding another handhold. The western approach to the target location involved making an unassisted climb up half a mile of wet, weathered stone. The sea breeze clawed at her, threatened to send her tumbling down into the surf below. Still, it was the approach with the fewest sensors, and she didn’t fear the human security elements nearly as much.

Red visor glowing dimly in the darkness, she pulled herself up by a balcony that extended off of the back deck, her night vision sweeping over a collection of pool furniture arrayed around the swimming pool. She paused, sniffing at the air for a moment … it was tough to make out anything over the chlorine and sea air, but she could just barely catch a wiff of someone. Or, more accurately, their bodywash. Axe had a bite to it she’d always hated.

New boots with soft, silicon soles stepped soundlessly onto the concrete. No cameras on the deck, too many things happened here that Urameshi-san wouldn’t want a record of. Expatriot crouched behind a table with an parasol anchored in the center of it, the squawk of a walkie-talkie directing her to where a man in a gray suit was standing off to one side, looking attentively along the side of the house. A light in his hand flashed twice as he signaled to another patrol in the dark, and they must have signaled back as he turned away to move back her way.

Expatriot held her breath and kept her position, waiting, waiting as the man moved closer. This’d be easy, sweep up behind the man and choke him out. Take him off the playing field before he had a chance to radio for backup or tip their hand … then she could get his security badge and start making her way towards the office where everything was coordinated.

The man moved passed her.

Expatriot moved from her hiding spot.

And as she stood to her full height, she came face to face with the guard, who’d turned around while fumbling for something in his pocket, and unlit cigarette in his lips.

“poo poo.” The two of them muttered at the same time.

Expatriot threw a straight for the man’s jaw as he ducked, pulling his hand out of his pocket. He came back around with a tight uppercut that Expat weaved away from, throwing a low kick as she stepped out that caught him in the knee and tipped him precariously. The fight was fast, the two of them throwing eight attacks in two seconds, but ultimately Expatriot got ahold of his arm and flipped him over her shoulder, his head banging against the concrete.

Before his body rolled into the pool, a heavy “THOOMP!” accompanying the high splash as his body impacted the water at full speed.

“God dammit.” she hissed, grabbing the pool skimmer to drag the man’s unconscious form to the edge of the pool where she hauled him out with one hand. She checked his pockets for the security pass … and, of course, she broken it when she’d put a fist in his ribs. She checked to make sure he was breathing, keying up her communicator to the team’s secured line.

“Parameter breached.” She said, starting with the good news, “Had to make a little racket, and the badge is compromised. I’m going to need a little time to clean up here, we need an alternate way into the system.”

[15:06] <JusticeGrieves> Expat attempts to Execute The Plan
[15:07] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[15:07] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 3+2 = 5
Marking Insecure to preserve one point of Plan for the team, and marking Curses!

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 10, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: | Location: Tree -> Outer Side Yard
Deck: 3 Cards

"Hehehe!"

As if on cue, Anarchy laughs over the radio system. "Did someone say they 'need a way into the system'?" She pauses to smile, an effect that goes almost completely wasted over the audio channel. "Just leave it to me!"

Right now, Anarchy is sitting in a tree located just outside the mansion grounds. A classic vantage-slash-infiltration-point for a smart criminal. Or perhaps too classic? Maybe. But it's not like Anarchy dot ee-ex-ee is going to climb striaght up a cliff like some dumb jock. And no way is she dumb enough to try just going through the front gate. So climbing a tree it was.

And now she's up here, sitting on a branch of a tree with her robot dog, Emoji, who just kind of looks happy to be here.

"Okay chumps, listen up." Anarchy says, with an air of authority, as she pulls up a miniature hologram blueprint of the estate on her wrist-bound computer. "If Ex-Pee's intel was right, this place's security system is AI-driven and decentralized. That means if we just take down one part of the system, the rest of it will probably notice! So if we want to take it down, we have to take it ALL down. At ONCE."

"There's two main ways you can do that. Either you could shut the power off, if you're a chump. Or, if you're beautiful cyber-genius like me, you can sneak into every node of the system and take them over at the same time."

"Hee hee." Anarchy gives a smug little giggle. "Y'know. Full-network takedown. It's no biggie. Just need to find a proper connection point for it. If I can do that, and if everything goes right, I should get full control no problem. That means EVERYTHING! Doors, drones, you name it! So don't mess this up for me, okay?!"

The way Anarchy describes it, the whole thing kind of sounds like a cinch. But with a system this complicated, and especially with something that may be AI-driven, there are all kinds of things that could go wrong. But hey, maybe Anarchy has it all figured out already. Or maybe she's just acting like she does.

Anarchy pulls out a small, light-up mirror and checks her make-up. But not for vain reasons, of course. No, tonight she has on some real, cyberpunk-as-heck face paint. Right now her face is covered in a giant, fancy arrangement of black-and-white geometric patterns designed to trick facial recognition systems. Her hair is also combed over her face in a similarly cyberpunk arrangement of spikes and curls designed to do the same. It all looks really strange, if you're not the kind of person who is into that kind of thing.

"Alright, I'm gonna enter the house-zone," Anarchy reports over the radio. "C'mon Emoji!"

After taking one quick look to make sure the coast is clear, Anarchy grabs her adorable robot dog and jumps out of the tree and over the estate wall. She looks cool for a second, as both she and her cyber-dog fly through the night sky like a pair of super-cool criminals.

Then Anarchy lands in a messy heap because she was never the type of kid who did very well in gym class. "Oof!" She curls up into a ball and clutches her robot dog. Who is fine. "Frick. Ow. C'mon..."

Just a few seconds later, though, Anarchy springs onto her own two feet. She smiles her usual smile, and looks like she's perfectly fine. "Okay." Anarchy sets Emoji on the ground, and takes another look around. "Let's go."

<Takanago> Anarchy is showing her hand
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+1
<Platonibot> Takanago: 12 (2d6+1=5, 6)
Holding 3 Cards. Doing this in lieu of a Caper move.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 11, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Outside the Mansion

The comms crackled as Breaking Point checked in, "I'm in position by the emergency transmitter. Coast seems to be clear."

She was lurking near a large transmitter a few streets away from the mansion. If the intel she had gotten through her scans were correct, the call to Blue Manchurian Security would be relayed through this point. A simple matter to attach a device to spoof the receiver and redirect any calls for help to a decoy. If all went well, that was. Her readouts of the system configuration were completely different than what they had seen on reconnaissance. What a time for a security revamp. Who had slipped up and clued off the mark?

Breaking Point cursed quietly and tried to adjust the device. This was rapidly escaping her area of expertise. If she couldn't take care of this quietly, they'd be knee-deep in security goons. The urge to simply punch the transmitter until it resembled nothing more than a fine metallic powder filled her.

quote:

[18:41:39] <Tricky> BP's gonna go for it. Executing the plan to stop Blue Manchurian.
[18:41:42] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[18:41:43] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 4+1 =
[18:41:47] <Tricky> curses!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Mansion of DOOM and also cars

A familiar, irritating presence made itself known on the comms channel.

"Haha."

"Nice going, the two of you. One can really see the family resemblance."

"Haha."

Whisperwind mulled over the mansion grounds, leaning against a little tree across the road from the front gate. He was confident he could get in. All he needed was a little... distraction.

"Funny how the amount of fancy familial baggage seems to go hand in hand with being a total failure," Whisperwind turned to face K'lyathi (conveniently out of what Whisperwind hoped was effective braintazer range) for a moment, just for long enough for her to spot him smirking at her before turning away. "Making the two of you the runners up for the most totally worthless members of this whole get-up."

"Haha."

quote:

Theantero: Provoking K'lyathi into shooting at me with LASERS
Theantero: !r 2d6-2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 12-2 = 10
Theantero: HAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

Engage me with some lasers. Get +1 towards doing it, get a condition if you don't.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Mansion of Elegance

Phantom Thief was trailing behind Expatriot when they scaled the cliff, cursing his fairly average body all the while. He was not built for such physically straining entrances, but she was right; this was the least defensible spot in the mansion. Nevertheless, he wished he'd brought some electric gear with him to simply zip upwards. Instead, he had to slowly climb the rope like he did in gym class, until he reached the top of the edge where the hook had grappled around some steel tables near the pool.

By the time he was over the edge, Expatriot had already disabled one of the guards, although it was certainly not the cleanest takedown Phantom Thief had ever witnessed. He gathered the zipcord again and said, slightly out of breath from the climbing: "You could have waited a few more instances. We could have neutralised him without harming the security pass."

Then, kneeling down next to her and inspecting the pass, he shook his head and whispered: "It's too damaged to copy its contents on the blank forgeries I have. We should look for another route in."

quote:

00:06 Deltasquid so let's go and case that joint, PT!
00:06 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
00:06 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 7+3 = 10

- What here is useful/valuable to me?
- What is the best way in/way past?

Of course, Phantom Thief kept an eye out for any routes that would specifically pass through a safe or art room. He knew these kind of nouveau riches, for he himself was part of them; they always had an art room. It was difficult to be a discerning art connoisseur without feeling the need to tell the world about it. He just hoped it wouldn't be postmodern art.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Netherwrath was killing time in an alleyway several blocks away from the site, shooting the poo poo with some getaway drivers she'd hired on via 'ol Carny. She was actually enjoying herself quite a bit; these guys were career criminals so they had a lot in common, and they were scared of her, but not annoyingly so. Hopefully they'd get through tonight with their freedom and lives intact so she could roll with them again. Just as one of them was finishing an amusing anecdote about henching for Baron von Killgore, Netherwrath's communicator beeped. Everyone went quiet. There was a pregnant pause of thirty seconds or so, and then the whole group exhaled as an armored van pulled up into the parking lot of a nearby bodega.

Their intel had reported that the local Blue Manchurian patrol stopped here every night for a mid-shift snack break, and Netherwrath was pleased to see their information was correct. Obviously, single-handedly going after a full Blue Manchurian heavy response team would be...inadvisable, even for someone like Netherwrath. Fortunately, the company offered tiers of security, and this particular group of rent-a-cops was on their lower end - mostly ex-cops or ex-military folks with slightly better weaponry than their public sector equivalents. They were handy for 99% of the sorts of situations that required a security response, but not really supervillain grade. If an alarm went up at the Urameshi compound, at best their job would be to buy time for the power armor to show up.

This part of the plan had a two-fold objective. First, if the team could hijack the armored van and successfully divert the automated alarm system, they could simply deliver their getaway drivers to the compound disguised as first responders. Second, if Netherwrath's end went hot, she could at the very least pull Blue Manchurian's attention away from the actual objective - leading them on a merry chase around the city would likely slow the response to the Urameshi alarm.

In civilian gear, Netherwrath walked out of the alley towards the bodega, looking for all the world like some rando out to pick up some last-minute milk and bread. The two Blue Manchurian guards who'd gone in to pick up some jerky and an eight-pack of energy drinks came out of the store just as Netherwrath arrived at the van. The two men piled back into the vehicle and tried to slide their door closed, but Netherwrath stuck her hand in front of the door and it bounced off. In one fluid movement, she hopped in and closed the door behind her, ending up straddling one of the guards whose hands were too full of jerky to respond. In a flash, she lashed out with both hands, grabbing one of the guards by the throat and another by the back of the neck. She squeezed ever-so-slightly, and one of them screamed, but it was muffled by the thick armored plating of the van.

"All right gents, guns on the floor and radios silent, or I pop all y'alls heads like zits." Netherwrath gave them one of her patented slightly unhinged smiles. "Drive a block up and take the alley on the left. Chop chop."

Green_Bean: eh screw it, I'll just execute it
Executing the Plan
!roll 2d6
Krysmbot:
Green_Bean, 10 = 10
Green_Bean: nice

Crossing off the Blue Manchurian plank and holding 1 Infamy

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry

K'lyathi stayed back a bit, letting the others go ahead according to the plan. With her nanobots in all of her teammates, she had no need to. Technology was a wonderful thing when it was in her hands. She was slightly disappointed that Phantom Thief's idea didn't make it through, but it was clear from the beginning that she would be fighting a losing battle trying to go against the group at that point. At the very least, Whisperweed made himself look foolish in front of the group. Hopefully, more people would start wising up to his actions. The best part of it all would be that she wouldn't need to do anything. All she had to do was not get sucked in by his words.

Which would prove hard considering he seemed to want to piss her off. It wasn't even her fault this time. Both Expatriot and Breaking Point managed to screw up doing anything productive, and yet Whisperweed was focusing all of his insults at her. No. She wasn't going to be like she was before and rise to the insults. She was better than that. Still, it did piss her off. Oh, she wanted to hurt him so bad to teach him a lesson. Wait, think back to last time and how much of a disaster that was. Just focus on the mission. Focus on the mission.

Marking Angry

K'lyathi knew she had to find a way to fix this. First priority was to get Expatriot back on track.

"Expatriot, don't worry about this minor hiccup and get your head back on the mission." K'lyathi lectured through the communicators, releasing endorphins through her system through careful use of her Nanomachines. It was getting to the point where she was becoming more familiar with their brain structures and could being to notice changes in their chemistry. "I'm going to try and infiltrate their system to get access to their security systems. If it's as complicated as our intel believes it is, I'm going to try and make Anarchy's job easier by supplying her with all the information I can get. I'm hoping you'll be more than happy to take it from there Anarchy."

With that, K'lyathi shot out her nanomachines and immediately they began sinking themselves into the computer systems. While they scurried around and began to collect data, one of them accidentally tripped off a hidden security mechanism that was hidden deep within the system. K'lyathi didn't notice this though, too busy downloading the information into her brain and Anarchy's. Even though Whisperweed said she was useless, she knew that actions spoke much louder than words. She didn't know where he was now, but she hoped that she was able to wipe that smug smile off his face.

<jimmydaladphone> Concocting a plan with my Freak
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 6+3 = 9
I'm gonna bring the heat in by marking Heat

<jimmydalad> Might as well Cow/Rebuke Expatriot while I'm at it
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 7+4 = 11
Going to add a Plan to the pool

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Mansion of DOOM and also cars

As K'lyathi continued detailing her plan, the channel started to flood with a mocking 'Blahblah' type of sound, until she finally stopped, after which Whisperwind piped up.

"Haha."

"You fit the noble stereotype to a T you know. Giving off nothing but useless prattle whilst others actually get the job done."

Now of course, it was a perfectly good plan. And naturally Whisperwind would make use of it. He just would never actually admit any of that to K'lyathi. She, and Anarchy, should be able to easily tackle the electronic systems. But that would take time, and there was always a risk of failure. It ought to be way easier for them if the systems were not actively blaring like they currently were. And if they knew all the passwords and code numbers without having to try and hack them themselves.

Whisperwind smirked. That, of course, was his Forte.

With a smug swagger, Whisperwind sauntered right through the front gate, confident his power would keep him safe from both guards and their sensors. He walked straight to the man who seemed to be in charge.

"Hey Jenkins", he spoke. Now, Whisperwind did not know if the man's name actually was Jenkins, but his subconscious mind would just disregard that point as irrelevant if it wasn't, "Another false alarm. A raccoon. So might as well turn the klaxons off, yeah, Jenkins?"

The man cursed under his breath and whispered 'false' alarm into his mic and, indeed, the triggered defenses were switched off, for now.

"Hey. Hey Jenkins, one more thing", the man turned to face Whisperwind irately as the latter punted him on the shoulder, staring straight into his eyes as a hypnotic suggestions was planted. "Sorry about all this, but I totally forgot all our passcodes. And codes for security admin rights. Yup. All of them. So could you please repeat them to me? It's fine, like, who wants to go though all the hassle of the paperwork, right? Like, what are the chances somebody would be listening in here? It's totally fine, Jenkins. Help a guy out."

And just like that, the guard chief started to divulge the secrets into the young villains' comms channel. Whisperwind said nothing, but his aura of smug self-assuredness could be felt pushing through nonetheless.

After his work for the team was done and his clear superiority proven, Whisperwind ever so subtly made the chief think that gathering the rest of his posse to do some disciplinary training on an out-of-the-way part of the mansion grounds for triggering the alarm on accident would be a splendid idea. Not before snagging the mansion keys from his belt, of course. Twirling them on his fingers, Whisperwind let out a silent whistle as he entered the mansion proper.

quote:

Theantero: Executing the plan to Remove Security, Burning one plan (+1 from Agenda)
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8+2 = 10
Theantero: See that's how it's done SCRUBS

Crossing out "You must take out the automated security systems.", holding one Infamy

quote:

Theantero: Whisperwind is Distracting some Guards
Krysmbot: Theantero, 11+2 = 13

Picking the following:
- You confuse them for some time.
- You avoid further entanglement.
- You get an opportunity (To get inside the mansion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Whisperwind

"Goddamnit, John, really!? This is the THIRD time this month! Do you even have any marbles left in there?!" he yells at you.

"Fine, whatever. Not like anyone would try to rob this place anyway, what with probably having more security than the freaking White House. Okay, note them down this time, you bloody idiot!" he replies.

"It's 'cakeisalie' for the cameras, 'screwwhisperwind' for the heat vision drones, 'reredqueen' for the lasers,..." (and so on, and so on... so many goddamn passwords.)

He then sighs.

"But you know what? At least you weren't the loving paranoid moron that triggered the alarm because of a racoon. I WANT EVERYONE IN THE SEMINAR ROOM, BY THE DOUBLE!" he yells out. "You stay here and keep watch., I'll have to have some serious words with these incompetent twats."

Netherwrath

The guy behind you, pulls out a gun and tries to shoot you, barely missing you... and hitting the radio of the driver, who was trying to call for help anyway. Seems like these guys aren't so easily intimidated.

Omega

Your nanomachines find something curious in the computers. There's repeated mentions of a "down there", and the wording is somewhat ambiguous. Could there be perhaps something be below the garage? Something the blueprints didn't mention?

Anarchy.Exe

Your surveillance tech picks up increased com chatter. Something about a failure in the mansion's relay system, and whatever. Also a bit about the "false" alarm. It looks like BP got a tech crew headed her way! You should probably warn her, or something.

Hey, hoooooooold up, what's this?

Decrypted text message posted:

Package delivery inbound. ETA: 20 minutes. Make sure you're ready. I don't want a repeat of last time.

Breaking Point

Not only did the drat spoofer not work, the system emitted a short range electrical charge! It's intended to knock out an ordinary human, but for you, it 'only' short circuited your system. Your hover and flight abilities just went offline! Crap! Let's hope this stupid self-repair works faster this time!

You know the drill. Unleash to fix.

Ex-Patriot

Looks like the crew is managing just fine without you! Which is likely a bit irritating but probably for the best. Whisperwind basically paved the way and rolled out a red carpet for you guys to just walk in. Almost feels a little bit too easy. But then again, maybe you're just comparing it to the adrenaline overload that was your previous Caper...

Somewhat lost in thought, you miss the surprisingly quiet buzzing of a drone behind you, and it begins firing strange foam at you! Your feet are glued to the ground, and the foam is quickly piling up...

Phantom Thief

Seems like the easiest way in is probably through the roof! It should have an access point to use for the interior electronics, and apart from some measly lasers and some anti-air defenses (huh), there's nothing in there. By the looks of it there's even an easy point into the art room, that does indeed exist!

Unfortunately, you're a bit busy casing the place, you so you too miss whats happening to Ex-Patriot until it's almost too late. You two going to have to deal with this drone, quick!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 14, 2016

• Locked thread