Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fre: +2 | Dan: +2 | Tro: -1 | Sup: +0 | Men: +0
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: BRANCH Penthouse

Naomi's sensors played across the room as the drama unfolded. Loathe as she was to admit any of Whisperwind's pranks were humorous, it was certainly worth it to see the fish hit the incredibly creepy alien. Who vomits nanobots. Her speakers blared to life, simulating a sophisticated voice that seemed completely incongruous with the hulking metal chassis, "There is some merit in Anarchy's suggestion. For an optimal distraction, we will want to draw attention to ourselves. Why not begin laying the seeds of a PR campaign simultaneously? Current market research indicates that the 18-34 demographic is spending less on hero-branded merchandise and has begun to shift that spending towards anti-heroic or outright villainous brands. Our team could capitalize on that. It would offer both supplementary income and an avenue for the laundering of any ill-gotten gains we may acquire. The nature of our distraction is less important."

She floated over to the hallway leading to the bedrooms, her anti-grav drive gently humming. Let the peons fight over couches and lounge chairs. The true battle would be over securing the most optimal room. Not that she needed one, of course, but it was a matter of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

A loud thud rattled through the penthouse as Naomi set her anti-grav to passive and crashed onto the bed in the master suite. Scanners played over the groaning piece of furniture, evaluating its structural stability. It was capable of supporting her chassis, should she choose to utilize it. A shame about the plasma burns on the bedding, but that was clearly poor craftsmanship. What sort of self-respecting quilt couldn't resist the heat from plasma vents, anyways? The space seemed like it would fit her needs. Plenty of room to bring in some equipment from the workshop. Plus, it was clearly the best of the bedrooms. Nobody else really deserved it, did they?

The anti-grav kicked back in and she floated back through the double-doors, just in time to hear K'lyathi's suggestion. It hit the right chords for her. A strike against Variable Reduction and the chance to get some combat data from their latest prototypes. "A giant robot? That seems like it would have the appropriate... impact, for our diversion. We could even mount a raid on the New Guardian HQ with that."

Seconding K'lyathi's Caper!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point rapped one of her luxuriously huge battle hands against her artificial forehead. Her face shifted to something resembling a grin, "You're saying that you couldn't make it fun with your... masterful plots?" The sarcasm algorithm was operating at peak efficiency. The hint of disdain and derision in her voice had been carefully calculated for maximum impact. There could be no doubt that this word-play would gain the support of the fickle creature.

quote:

[07:44:34] <Tricky> Provoking Anarchy.exe (to join Team Giant Robot)
[07:44:37] <Tricky> !roll 2d6
[07:44:38] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6 =
[07:44:44] <Tricky> Curses!

...or not, since I have influence bumping my roll to a 7. Take a condition to avoid backing our plan!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 8, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point inclined her shoulders in a facsimile of a shrug as the gibbering child wildly gesticulated around the room. It really didn't matter what their plan was. A chance had arisen to get into K'lyathi's head so she had taken it. Variable Reduction would pay today or another. She could afford to play the long game. Anarchy was proving to be an... inconvenience, however, with her churlish attitude and lack of social graces. Perhaps an object lesson would be in order. It would be a shame if a train was to be launched through her smug, irritating face. An absolute shame.

Her synth-voice rang out, "That is the way the votes fell. Assuming our esteemed guest agrees, of course." She turned her sensor banks to Zeremiah.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point incrementally raised her mouth, giving the impression of a small smile. "Now that we're agreed on the broad strokes, let's discuss who will be on the actual train. I assume Anarchy would prefer to be coordinating the hacking and hijacking from a safe distance. Understandable, given her frail meat-based nature. I, naturally, would be better off in a locale where I can utilize my flight capabilities to harry any attempts by the heroes to recapture the train. Perhaps our quietest member, the esteemed Whisperwind, would serve as our presence onboard. He would be well positioned to quash any attempts for a hostage revolt and would naturally be able to... run with his tail between his legs, should the need arise."

Her scanners played across the room. As expected, she saw no sign of his presence after his altercation with the alien. Her artificial smile grew larger. "Oh? No objections, Whisperwind? Thank you for taking on such a... key task."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: BRANCH Penthouse

Marking Angry, and the Plan point goes to the garbage.

Emotional compensators overloaded. Engaging fight or flight protocols.

NEW DIRECTIVE: DESTROY WHISPERWIND

Naomi's eyes turned red. Literally. Killer robot red. Scenes of previous Whisperwind provocations roared through her mind as the thrusters on her battle fists roared to life. She blitzed in front of the irritant and a giant fist crashed towards his face. For a moment, she could see the reflection of his impending demise in his eyes. A split-second before Whisperwind became a fine red mist on the far wall of the penthouse, the retro-thrusters engaged and her fist screeched to a halt with mere millimeters to spare. The air pressure did a perfectly fine job of sending him flying head-over-completely-aggravating-heels into the wall.

Her eyes faded back to their normal slightly-less-red hue as vents opened and engaged on her arms to disperse the heat. A smirk crossed her artificial face as she looked at the pile of Whisperwind in the corner, quickly replaced by an expression of clearly fake concern. "Oh my, I forget you're so fragile. I do hope you won't be a hindrance on our hijacking, Whisperwind."

quote:

[11:49:42] <Tricky> Directly engaging an idiot that pissed off a giant robot :v
[11:49:45] <Yamifenrir> you don't need to roll unless it's dangerous/hasty situations
[11:49:46] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+3
[11:49:48] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 12+3 =

Impressing/Frightening/Surprising Whisperwind; Creating an opportunity.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 10, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: The Skies Above!

Breaking Point soared through the skies above the train, reveling in the additional mobility and ranged armaments that the experimental Striker Pack granted her. The chameleon plating should keep her out of sight until the fireworks started. A barrel roll to the left, then to the right. Maneuvering thrusters: check. She opened up the additional weapons mounts. Acceptable, but there was a hint of hesitation. Something for the techs to look at after the mission. Otherwise? All systems nominal. She keyed her comm system, "I'm in position on overwatch. No signs of hostile presence. Ready to engage first-responders and run interference."

She was looking forward to this. It would be so satisfying to blast a few heroes.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi grinned, "Copy that, Expatriot. Munitions are armed and ready to fire." While visions of a thoroughly perforated Whisperwind danced through her head, she kept a careful eye out for any would-be heroes. The wide-band sensor array was showing a whole lot of nothing. Some commercial traffic in the distance, but nothing else. As expected. The operation hadn't gone loud yet -- but that was no reason to fall asleep at the wheel. If this mission went to poo poo, it sure as hell wouldn't be on her watch.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

A sudden blip on the proximity sensors was the only warning that Breaking Point had before the motorcycle crashed into her. Error messages and angry red warnings covered her HUD as she struggled to maintain control. The striker pack seemed functional, but there was no way in hell it could maintain stealth with the damage to the chameleon plating. "poo poo! What the hell is going on down there? Why did your motorcycle hit me, Netherwrath?!"

Diagnostics played out over an outline of her additional parts. Several were highlighted and flashing -- they needed to be purged. She gritted her teeth. Looked like the arcane fire was working it's way towards the banks of micro-missiles. A quick mental command separated the compromised parts and sent them plummeting towards the train below. It was purely coincidence that the missile banks dropped directly adjacent to Netherwrath as the flames cooked off the munitions. Nobody could prove otherwise. The explosions tore the roof of the cab Netherwrath was clinging to completely off and sent it flipping off into the city below.

Breaking Point sent Expatriot a tight-band message, "Expatriot. I am under attack and my long-ranged weapons are compromised. Whisperwind must be making his play. Also, expect heroes inbound at any moment. They won't be able to miss this."

quote:

[14:32:14] <Tricky> Directly Engaging NW
[14:32:17] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+3
[14:32:18] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 =

Taking NW's ability to remain on the train; Frightening/Surprising/Impressing NW.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: The Skies Above!

If Breaking Point was physically capable of it, she might be breaking a sweat. Her artificial teeth were tightly gritted as she jetted back and forth, narrowly dodging Iron Angel's relentless attacks. Her sensors must have been more heavily damaged by the impact than she had thought if she hadn't picked up that Rainbow Annoyance and her iron friend. Oh. Right. Arcane fire had scorched the outside of the Striker Pack. That had probably cooked some of the long-range supplemental sensors.

She clearly needed some time to effect repairs, but it was rough going with Iron Angel up in her business. Only one way to solve that. The lower ports on the Striker Pack opened up and began to spray hundreds, if not thousands, of glimmering metal balls into the city below. After bouncing off a hard surface, like that of a building or street, they drilled into it and began blinking red. Humans weren't quite hard enough to qualify, though surely a few people would suffer mild head trauma.

She grinned, looking back at Iron Angel, "Oh dear. Do you really have time to fight me? I'd imagine you'll be quite busy defusing all of those limpets. Better hurry! The clock, as they say, is ticking." The delicious icing on the cake of the plan was that one in every ten or so limpets was an anti-hero trap. When someone attempted to remove it, they would be temporarily trapped in a time-space distortion field -- out of the fight and out of their figurative hair.

quote:

[11:53:38] <Tricky> Attempting to cross off [high-mobility heroes] and spend 2 plot to execute my plan
[11:53:46] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+2
[11:53:47] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

BP has done her part! Heroes will be...otherwise occupied. It worked so well that she's making a name for herself - +1 Infamy!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: The Skies Above!

Her moment of satisfaction at the successful strategem quickly turned to panic as explosions starting ripping through the remaining parts of the Striker Pack. She keyed into Netherwrath's communicator, "God-damnit! Netherwrath, I will hold you personally accountable for this when we return to base. What idiot gave you a flaming motorcycle? You couldn't handle a tricycle."

Feeling quite a bit better, she ejected the rest of the Striker Pack and returned to her default combat configuration. Data and metrics were streaming to the workshop. The eggheads would need to come up with something a little less... fragile next time. Arcane fire-retardant paints? Perhaps. The various bits and pieces she had ejected below rocked the track with explosions as the remaining munitions self-destructed. Good thing it was behind the speeding train. The holes in the track wouldn't be relevant for some time.

Diagnostics played over her HUD. The gravity drive had been damaged in the impact. She was able to stay airborne, but she'd need to spend some time repairing the damage before she could catch back up to the train. She swapped to wide-band and sent out a broadcast to the team, "Engines have been compromised. I will effect repairs, but I will need some time before I can catch up to the train."

quote:

[06:59:32] <Tricky> BP taking a motorcycle to the face
[06:59:39] <Tricky> !roll 2d6
[06:59:42] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10 =
[06:59:46] <Tricky> :x

Picking two options from 7-9: Gaining Angry and Paranoid, giving ground as I need to stop pursuing the train to repair.

Internal repair systems whirred to life, clicked, and then ground to a halt. Something was wrong. There might be more damage than she had expected.

quote:

[08:03:17] <Tricky> Unleashing Powers to repair all that motorcycle damage
[08:03:23] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+2
[08:03:25] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+2 =
[08:03:28] <Tricky> :x

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Fre: +3 | Dan: +2 | Tro: -1 | Sup: -1 | Men: +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: The Skies Above!

Breaking Point's flood of HUD messages and alarms faded as her internal repair systems finally kicked in. The gravity drive was back online, sensors were fully functional, and it sounded like it was just about time to get out of dodge. Of course, Netherwrath was throwing a gigantic hissy-fit down below. Some people just don't deal with stress well. Naomi thought to herself, just for a minute, about trying to help knock her out of her funk. It was kind of her fault that she was out of control. That lasted for about half of a second. Why the hell would she care? Netherwrath hit her with a motorcycle. Everything after that was her fault, anyways! And Whisperwind! He was plotting to get her! That could not stand.

The train crew probably needed support in getting off and to whatever vehicle Phantom Thief had acquired. She looked down contemptuously at Netherwrath and then jetted off towards the somewhat-distant train. Maybe Whisperwind would still be there. She owed him a fist to the face and was deeply, deeply considering not stopping it this time.

quote:

[13:12:06] <Tricky> Unleashing to fix up BP's systems. And this time it'll work! :v
[13:12:09] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+2
[13:12:11] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+2 = 9
(+1 from label shift = 10)

Selfishly eating the plan point to shift +Freak/-Superior.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Expat's voice echoed over her comms. Of course she needed to save the day. It was a wonder that the rest of the team managed to get dressed in the morning without help. Naomi sighed dramatically as she responded, "Uggggggh. Fine. Fine! You owe me for this one, Betsy. And I'm only doing this because I like my room."

+1 plan to the pool!

The best part of using a gravity drive over more conventional rockets was the total lack of nuisances like inertia. Breaking Point demonstrated that by turning on a dime, just as she was about to reach the train, and soaring back towards the conflict on the ground. She reviewed tactical projections and her working dossier on Netherwrath as she flew. Extended grappling and brawling was not advised. In that case...

Naomi grinned. The lab boys had been rather excited when they got this addition to her fists to work. Her battlefists roared to life, thrusters flaring, as they began to rapidly rotate. Her fingers clenched into tight fists.

Breaking Point's external speakers roared to life, "ROCKET PUNCH!"

She leveled her arms at Netherwrath and launched both of her fists. They cut through the air with little subtlety. One would have to be quite out of it to be caught off guard. Or, perhaps, suffering from a case of tunnel vision. Apparently Netherwrath was. One fist caught her in the side and sent her bouncing off a nearby wall. The other? It hit her square on, mid-bounce, sending her flying down the street to the west.

The fists flew back, reattaching to their mounts on her arms. Breaking Point took a moment to grin with satisfaction before cruising down to meet with Expatriot.

quote:

[20:53:06] <Tricky> Direct Engage our dear berserk friend
[20:53:10] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+2
[20:53:11] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 11+2 =

Resist blows; Create an Opportunity (NW goes on a ride to the west)

Clearing Angry (hurting NW) and/or Paranoid (taking WW's muscle out of the picture to prepare for a confrontation) at the end of the scene if things go well!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Enraged | Location: Wrasslin' with Netherwrath

Netherwrath's words sunk home. Talking poo poo was her usual M.O. and, even so, that was a extremely low blow. There was nothing that Naomi wanted to see more than Netherwrath reduced into a fine paste. She may seem indestructible, but clearly that just meant she needed to try harder. Of course, the moment that she soars down to engage in some reconciliation of differences via hand-to-hand combat, the flighty broad leaps away.

Breaking Point's teeth grit together, sparking, as Netherwrath sailed through the air. Her gravity drive immediately leapt to full power as she quickly cut through the air behind her. "Where the hell do you think you're going, Netherwrath? I think we have some unfinished business to attend to."

Breaking Point clears Paranoid by coming down to face Netherwrath, who then immediately leaves. (per NW's cow/rebuke) :v:

quote:

[08:12:53] <Tricky> Unleashing to meet up with PT and NW
[08:12:56] <Tricky> !roll 2d6+3
[08:12:58] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+3 = 9 (+1 influence =
10)

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 18, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Enraged | Location: The Back Seat

Breaking Point seethed in the back seat of the Mustang, her gravity drive the only thing keeping the weight of her chassis from crushing the back half of the vehicle. She was barely paying attention to the chaos surrounding her. She needed to break something. She needed to break someone. The car swerved into the tunnel. Phantom Thief was yelling something to Expat. Probably something dumb and French. That was his shtick, right? Being dumb and French? Breaking Point growled, "Shut up, you idiots! Focus on driving, Frenchie, I've seen what it looks like when you try and park."

To punctuate her point, her hands shot out and knocked over a pair of pillars as the car slipped between them. That seemed to have been the final straw. The tunnel's ceiling shuddered behind them and started to collapse.

quote:

[16:08:22] <Tricky> Breaking Point is gonna wreck up the tunnel behind them (Unleashing Powers)
[16:08:29] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[16:08:31] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+3 =

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point took a deep breath, finally having calmed down a bit after breaking the tunnel. There were some shenanigans with the radio, but the only thing that captured her attention were the shenanigans happening in the trunk of the car. Anarchy and Whisperwind? Flirting? Right here? Right now? Oh, that would not stand. He may think that she had forgotten how he had dared to discard her, but she had not. She never would.

Her hand peeled back the trunk, exposing the tangled pair to the light of the tunnel. Her eyes glowed red as she pulled Whisperwind out of the trunk. Her fist slowly started to squeeze around him as she glared at him. BP growled, "You have a lot of nerve pulling lines like that, Whisperwind. Did you think I forgot about our last 'date'? Thanks for standing me up, you inconsiderate rear end in a top hat. Take it from me, Anarchy, this one isn't worth it. You can do a lot better than this piece of trash."

She dropped him back into the trunk, head-first.

quote:

[10:14:59] <Tricky> Directly engaging Whisperwind with emotional baggage!
[10:15:02] <Tricky> !r 2d6+4
[10:15:04] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+4 =

Resisting his barbs/blows; taking away his romantic credibility by bringing up some relationship baggage!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point's gaze turned icy, "Yeah. We're done now. Normal people don't end a relationship by standing you up, trying to ghost out of your life, and then pretending they don't know you when you end up on the same team of BRANCH. Enjoy your new love life, wish you all the best, and I hope you die in a horrific fire. Though given your track record with most of the team so far, I feel like the latter is by far the most likely."

She turned back to the front of the car, pointedly ignoring the pair in the trunk.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Heading to her Workshop

Naomi looked over at Netherwrath. Was she being genuine? It didn't much matter. It was surely being offered for some later advantage. She was tired of these people, their constant bickering and backstabbing. She needed some time to relax and unwind. It was time for some maintenance. Maybe she could, just for a moment, pretend to be normal. Or at least pretend like it was normal to be a giant robot. Maybe review some combat data with the crew chief or something and hash out some plans for the next revision to her chassis? Something fun like that.

She looked at Netherwrath for a moment, then shrugged, "Thanks for apologizing. Sorry about all of the explosions earlier." With that, she jetted off into the blackness of the tunnels.

Netherwrath has apologized, so I clear Enraged.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: At the Workshop

Diagnostics Complete.

Rebooting...

Please wait...

Welcome back, Ms. Sinclair.

Naomi's eyes slipped open. It had only been a few minutes since the diagnostic cycle started. Pieces of her chassis that had been damaged in the battle had been replaced and minor bits of dust and grit had been buffed off. She felt great and looked even better. The message from Zeremiah played. Equipment from Hero Central? Certainly worth a look. She looked over at the lab team and smiled. "Great work, gentlemen. The Striker Pack was superb in terms of functionality and firepower. Let's work on the revisions based on the combat data. I'll check in on initial plans and projections in a few hours."

After a few more exchanges of pleasantries, she exited her workshop and entered the tunnels beneath the city. The BRANCH office was but a few minutes away at her cruising speed.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: BRANCH Office

Breaking Point scanned the pile of odds-and-ends. There was some unusual tech in the pile. Some of it seemed oddly similar to Sinclair tech. Was Variable Reduction trying to steal some of their research? Were they in bed with Hero Central? A particular piece stood out, however, as she locked eyes on it. It was emitting low levels of gravitic anomalies, just as her gravity drive did. She compared it against her various databases and soon found a match in registered patents. The Gravitic Booster. Cutting edge VR-tech. They must be working to discover the secrets of her Gravity Drive. The inherent principles behind the device seemed incompatible with flight, at least for the moment, but if her lab team had a look at it they might be able to wrangle additional performance out of her Gravity Drive. If she was lucky, perhaps the area of the gravity control exhibited by the drive could extend past her chassis. It would certainly give her additional flexibility in the field. At the very least, they would be able to boost her speed and maneuverability.

A priority message crossed her HUD. She had made the headlines, it seemed. Fitting. Her contributions to the day's escapades had been quite flashy.

"BREAKING POINT: Queen of the Skies?"
"IRON ANGEL swears vengeance against BREAKING POINT!"
"SINCLAIR INDUSTRIAL (SIN) up 50 in late trading!"

quote:

[11:28:26] <Tricky> End of caper move
[11:28:31] <Tricky> !r 2d6+4
[11:28:32] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+4 =
[11:28:41] <Tricky> Iron Angel wants payback, natch

Technically an 8, but it doesn't really matter! +Infamy, Iron Angel wants a rematch.

She looked at Whisperwind for a moment before turning away. She would trouble herself with his manipulations no longer. Perhaps she would even aid Anarchy in realizing the truth behind her new love -- whether she wanted the help or not.

quote:

End of Issue 1: Clinging to Mistrust (Removing WW's influence)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Penthouse Suite

Breaking Point's eyes powered on, her sleep cycle completed. The night had been restful, as it were, especially given the lack of overt betrayals by her erstwhile comrades. That surely meant more covert betrayals instead. She needed to extend her power base and form alliances to counteract the machinations of Whisperwind and his ilk. Expatriot was straightforward and seemed as earnest as any could be about making this team work. A suitable pillar for an alliance dedicated to actually succeeding, despite what the others might have in mind.

As she exited the master suite, she found Whisperwind was already in the kitchen and Expatriot was as well. The latter seemed to be cooking a dish that had ingredients did not register in any of her databases. She flagged it to continue searching external sources and turned her attention back to Expatriot and Whisperwind. Her speakers activated, sending her synthetic voice into the room, "And I'm sure that your actions had no impact on that plan? Perhaps if you were able to follow simple directions, the mission would have proceeded more smoothly."

Breaking Point entered the kitchen and turned to face Expatriot, clearly done acknowledging Whisperwind, "Expatriot. Your performance on the mission was satisfactory and the plan itself was sound." Perhaps the juxtaposition of positive feedback against the backdrop of Whisperwind's negativity would open her up and generate data that she would otherwise prefer to remain hidden.

quote:

[10:19:49] <Tricky> pierce the mask on Expat
[10:19:52] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[10:19:53] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10 =

What weakness are you hiding?
How could I gain influence over you?
How can I get Expatriot to join Breaking Point against the WW/Anarchy/NW alliance?

A notification flitted across her display. "New model has completed the fabrication process, ready for deployment on your orders. Work continues on implementing Gravitic Booster into next-gen combat chassis. -R&D" She sent back an acknowledgement and made a note to assign the research division a bonus when funds allowed.

Spending 1 Infamy to gain the Striker Pack (v2) as an asset.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Penthouse Suite

Breaking Point's eyes widened, "Protectron-5? I heard it was scrapped -- totally destroyed in the last battle. That black-box tech is no joke. If it exists and if I can get some readings from the vehicles before we turn them over, you have my vote. My facilities are also available to repair any incidental damage inflicted during our escape. Hell, even if the buyer flakes, Sinclair Industries would be glad to match that price." A kaiju-buster would be the perfect weapon for her vengeance against Variable Reduction. If she could reverse engineer the design or even discover the secret behind core harmonization, Sinclair would be positioned to dominate a new market in the ongoing arms race. Not to mention the applications it could have for her combat chassis, of course.

Seconding Expatriot's caper.

She sniffed dismissively as she listened to Expatriot and Phantom Thief trade jabs, "Don't listen to the naysayers, Expatriot. This defensiveness is only weakening your case."

quote:

[08:36:48] <Tricky> cow/rebuke Expat
[08:36:50] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[08:36:51] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8 =

Clear condition, mark potential, or shift labels if you respond.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 30, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Outside the Mansion

The comms crackled as Breaking Point checked in, "I'm in position by the emergency transmitter. Coast seems to be clear."

She was lurking near a large transmitter a few streets away from the mansion. If the intel she had gotten through her scans were correct, the call to Blue Manchurian Security would be relayed through this point. A simple matter to attach a device to spoof the receiver and redirect any calls for help to a decoy. If all went well, that was. Her readouts of the system configuration were completely different than what they had seen on reconnaissance. What a time for a security revamp. Who had slipped up and clued off the mark?

Breaking Point cursed quietly and tried to adjust the device. This was rapidly escaping her area of expertise. If she couldn't take care of this quietly, they'd be knee-deep in security goons. The urge to simply punch the transmitter until it resembled nothing more than a fine metallic powder filled her.

quote:

[18:41:39] <Tricky> BP's gonna go for it. Executing the plan to stop Blue Manchurian.
[18:41:42] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[18:41:43] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 4+1 =
[18:41:47] <Tricky> curses!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

The shock ripped through Breaking Point and knocked her gravity drive offline. She crashed to the ground, causing quite a bit of an impact as the full weight of her chassis hit the ground. She silently swore and triggered the auto-repair subroutines. It should be a simple matter to reboot the gravity drive, especially with the latest updates integrated from the previous mission.

quote:

[11:49:19] <Tricky> BP's auto-repair rides again! (Unleash to overcome system crash)
[11:49:23] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[11:49:29] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+3 =

And, as expected, she was airborne in short order. This relay was a wash. Time to head back to the mansion and interface with the situation directly.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Expatriot's sticky circumstances came up on her sensors. Breaking Point bit back a laugh, though it wasn't like her speakers were on or anything. Of course Betsy needed help. She should really look into replacing some of that meat -- robotics were far more practical. She scanned through her specialized munitions. There had to be something that could solve that. Hi-Ex? Rejected, too much risk of friendly fire. WP? Betsy was sadly all too flammable. Time-Space Distortion Rounds? Unpredictable effect. Might accidentally fracture the fabric of reality and/or erase Betsy from existence. Why had the techs even loaded those? Finally, she saw the Universal Solvent Dispenser. Of course. Pity she wouldn't have time to calibrate it specifically to the composition of the foam, but it wouldn't kill Betsy. Might ruin some of the compounds in her gear, but better that than leaving her to become a foam statue.

A port opened in the center of her palm as a targeting laser painted the drone. Her HUD confirmed a solid firing solution and the pile-bunker in her arm sent the projectile silently screaming through the air. It impaled the drone violently before lodging itself in the ground next to Expatriot. A second passed, then the device began spraying a strange liquid on everything nearby. The foam quickly began to melt and flow off of Expatriot.

Breaking Point triggered her communicator on a private line, "You're clean, Ex-pat. Has the point of infiltration changed? Not seeing the rest of the team on my perimeter scans."

quote:

[11:53:39] <Tricky> BP's gonna break poo poo like always and maybe even help Ex-Pat if she feels like it.
[11:53:42] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[11:53:43] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =
[11:53:55] <Tricky> rip drone

Resist blows; take away the foam prison with solvents.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Inside the Mansion

Breaking Point cut through the skies and descended into the mansion. The defenses had been neutralized and -- frankly -- weren't up to Sinclair Industries standards to begin with. She'd have to send a representative out to up-sell the owner on some real security after this was all over. Air-to-air missiles? In this day and age? Shameful. They'd need some particle cannon emplacements, for sure, perhaps some spacial distortion traps or a teleportation interdiction array.

A read-out of the mansion's layout appeared in her HUD, complete with details about current guard patrols and the compromised security measures. The objective was located deep underneath the mansion in an underground garage. Preliminary scans indicated that there were a number of vehicles. Naturally, there would only be five emitting the tell-tale energy signature of the core-harmonization engines. She followed the route suggested by her HUD and quickly arrived at the underground garage. There were cars and vehicles of various makes and models. A shocking array, really, it was anyone's guess how the team would have identified the correct vehicles without her help. Her sensors played out over the fleet, searching for the energy signatures. Soon enough five vehicles were highlighted, as expected. She transmitted that data to the rest of the team.

quote:

[10:30:53] <Tricky> BP's going to scan the mansion and pinpoint the cars (executing a plan)
[10:30:58] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[10:30:59] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =
[10:31:03] <Tricky> heck yeah

+Infamy, cars located.

Her sensors pinged again, highlighting a large jet further towards the back. Wait, what? Could it be? He didn't just have the Protectotron components, but also the support unit, New Flyer? It was said to have been completed shortly before the lab was destroyed, but never used in battle. Unfortunately, she wouldn't be able to secure the entire unit. She wasn't exactly the right size to fly it. Betsy was a bit of a prude when it came to sticking to the plan and she couldn't really trust anyone else to take the jet back to her workshop.

Naomi sighed, cracked her giant robot knuckles, and spent a few precious moments taking every bit of data she could from the jet before gingerly removing the core-harmonization engine. It was quite a bit smaller than she had thought. If those of the cars were humming with power, this thing positively was roaring. She opened a cavity in her chest and deposited it inside. While waiting for the rest of the team to finish whatever tedious machinations they were wrapped up in, she moved between the different Protectotron vehicles and took detailed readings and measurements.

Spending Infamy to gain the technical data and the New Flyer's improved core-harmonization engine. (eventually will be a Doomsday Device and/or Giant Robot asset)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Waiting with the cars

Breaking Point idly smashed an incredibly valuable vintage convertible into a small cylinder while she waited. This was taking too long. Everyone remembered that the point was to get paid for the cars, right? She checked her internal chronometer again, confirmed that everyone was indeed behind schedule, then toggled on a comm channel. It literally pained her to do this (before she toggled off the associated pain receptors), but she'd have to talk to one of them. Whisperwind was... no. She still didn't want to talk to him. Or perceive him in any notable fashion. Anarchy might be able to rein him in, assuming she was on one of her infrequent swings back into sanity. BP's metal teeth sent a shower of sparks flying as she gritted them, then tried her best to put on a normal facade.

Naomi sighed, "Anarchy? Do you happen to know what the rest of the team is up to? I've found the cars and I would appreciate some help extricating them so we can finish this and get paid. Any chance you can get... your boyfriend..." Sparks showered again, probably sending horrifying feedback into Anarchy's ears, before she continued. "Can you guys just come down here and drive a drat car?" She killed the channel, not particularly interested in the response. What was it with this team and forgetting what the actual job was?

quote:

[14:11:55] <Tricky> BP's going to provoke Anarchy to work on getting her man back on track
[14:11:58] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[14:12:00] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5 =
[14:12:03] <Tricky> curses!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Legitimately concerned for Anarchy's health

Breaking Point slowly looked over at the winded hacker as she banged through the door. She had made excellent time, but at what cost? Something between pity, concern, and horrified disgust flashed across her artificial face. Sensors indicated that Anarchy's vital signs were all flavors of messed up and she was approaching the lethal limit of caffeine and several other stimulants. For a moment, she didn't know what to say. What could she say? 'Your lifestyle is incredibly self-destructive and even I'm saying this as a career villain.'? 'My projections indicate an 83.7% chance of heart failure within the next five minutes. Do you have a will prepared?'? 'Yes, in fact, I do. Whisperwind is toxic, manipulative trash and, frankly, you're better than him.'? All true, yet none of them seemed appropriate at the moment.

Naomi shot a concerned glance at Anarchy, "Uh, holy poo poo, Anarchy. Are you... OK? Do you need a doctor?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Actually an anime??

If Naomi's face could still flush with embarrassment, it would be. As it was, she managed to preserve her calm facade, though her mannerisms were still clearly more vulnerable than usual. She looked down, trying not to meet Anarchy's eyes, "I, uh, I don't have a lot of friends and I'd rather the ones I did have didn't die," Her eyes met Anarchy's and she gently tapped the hacker with a giant robot finger, "So you should take better care of yourself! You're the mastermind behind the scenes, right? Who's going to come up with the weird and questionably useful ploys if you don't? Who's going to live-stream our capers and help build our rep? Expat?" She pointed over at Expatriot, who was undoubtedly doing something useful and actually related to the mission. "No! So you need to not die before your grand transhuman plot -- whatever it ends up being."

She sighed and inspected her giant robot fists, capable of limitless destruction, before continuing, "I mean, you still have a body, OK? It's not such a bad thing to have options. Some people didn't have a choice. I didn't hav-- I mean, yeah, of course I love having this cool battle chassis. Who needs that fleshy weak thing? It's cool being able to destroy literally anything I feel like. Just, you know, sometimes you might want to be able to change it up. Go to a movie. Eat food. Have a social life."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: So many feels

Naomi's face shifted for a few moments, the predictive algorithms clearly having no idea what faux-emotion was appropriate, before settling on something that looked like a sad smile, "We're all villains here, right? I'm not about to talk you out of the business. We all have our reasons. I just... don't want anything bad to happen to you. I know I'm kind of a grump. Or, you know, a lot of a grump. I don't really like letting people in. It hasn't ended well. That, uh, that... thing with him." She looked at her deadly hands, Anarchy, and scowled briefly. Hugs were tricky when you were liable to render the huggee into some sort of human-based meat paste. Mistakes had been made. It wouldn't do to kill Anarchy after opening up to her, after all.

A message pinged on her HUD.

The Lab Crew posted:

Hey BP! We got the data from the emitter you brought us and reworked the precision and control on your gravity drive. You should be good to go for short-range fine manipulation!

Convenient. Also slightly disturbing. They were paying far too much attention to the scene. Naomi cut the feed to the workshop as she bundled the spastic hacker into a surprisingly accurate replica of a hug. Just, you know, made of manipulated gravity. And at a distance. The wonders of ludicrous super-technology. After a moment, she set Anarchy back on the ground. A mischievous grin found its way to her face, "Oh? An AI? C'mon, Anarchy, you can tell us."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location:

Naomi's face was grinning from ear to ear as she listened to Anarchy's story. The hacker was adorable when she got flustered. She couldn't help but play 'MLG_Airhorn.FLAC,' admittedly probably not as loud as was traditional, when Anarchy made her airhorn motion. What a story! A sentient information construct? They were theoretically possible, sure, but this was the first Naomi had heard of an actual sighting. It was all kind of romantic, really. Maybe she'd join them in cyberspace when all was said and done. She was already most of the way there. And, uh, Expatriot really was painting a pretty appealing picture of it all.

She nodded, "Of course. My lips, such as they are, are sealed."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Party at the Cars

Whisperwind arrived and Breaking Point's barriers were back up in full force. The moment was over. Perhaps they all could enjoy a lady's night soon, but the mission wouldn't wait any longer. The lab had flagged some odd discrepancies in the analysis of the Protectotron cars -- their conclusion was an extraterrestrial origin. It made as much sense as anything. Alien tech could work on a fundamentally different paradigm than that of Earth tech. Sinclair's super-tech was fairly adaptable, however, so integrating any technological developments that she could glean from the scans and the New Flyer's new-model core harmonization engine wouldn't be impossible. Difficult, yes, but that was what the lab crew was paid to do. She'd keep that revelation under her hat for the moment -- no need to complicate things.

She looked over at Expatriot, "Don't worry about the New Flyer. I've got a complete scan and I've removed the samples I need to replicate it in my workshop. It would be interesting to have for testing purposes, but that's certainly a tertiary objective. As for the cars, we do have a problem -- the engine on the lead car is inoperable. I can spoof the signal and lead the convoy personally, but it would require that I deactivate and reroute my detection-avoidance systems. We'd be lit up like a Christmas tree."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 7, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: None! | Location: Party at the Cars

Breaking Point's eyes narrowed as she watched the interplay between Anarchy and Whisperwind. Anarchy was certainly too good for him, though, to be fair, that seemed an incredibly low bar to clear these days. She had a fair idea of what had just happened -- between the mocking whisper, the threats to reveal secrets, and his general game plan, it seemed likely that the earlier conversation between herself, Anarchy, and Expatriot had been compromised. It would be a mistake to assume that anything was private when Whisperwind was lurking around.

Breaking Point's eyes started glowing terminator-red before she shook her head and they faded back to normal. No. Not that way. It would just serve to isolate her again.

Naomi looked at Anarchy and audibly smirked, "Don't worry about it, Anarchy. What's he going to do? Make fun of me for actually thinking that this-" she waved an arm, indicating the team, "-is worthwhile? That I actually consider some of you as friends? That I'm not just a well-designed killing machine? Oh no, I'll be emotionally crippled forever. Let him play his games if he wants. He's just jealous."

quote:

[17:35:35] <Tricky> BP's going to cow/rebuke Anarchy since she can't fix the car
[17:35:39] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[17:35:40] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+1 =

Reusing earlier roll per Yami, +1 plan and Anarchy gets her choice of options if she opens up.

She shot a pair of invisible giant finger guns at Whisperwind, then turned back to the lead car. Maybe she could rig up some signal boosters? Backdoor the signal on her wide-band jammers and stealth systems? If the signal was still masked, but the cars were able to filter out the jamming, that might help bypass the threat of detection. Or, hell, maybe she could just get Phantom Thief to ball them all up. Her Grav Drive was better than ever. There was a non-zero chance that between it and her strength she would be able to carry them all.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: (The Ruins of the) Secret Basement

Naomi quickly tuned out as the group devolved into sniping over how to exfiltrate with the vehicles. Whatever. She already had what she needed. There was a more pressing matter in any case. She had noticed that there was a suspicious blank spot on the map. Phantom Thief must have thought he was being sneaky when he skulked off earlier. Clearly he knew how to get into... whatever it was. Always with the hidden agendas. Always trying to jockey for advantage on the most insignificant of matters! This team, as much as she did care about some of the members, was absolutely infuriating.

Her fists began to pound into a floor, opening a passage large enough for her frame to fit through. She was done being stealthy. Done avoiding noise. Done being sensitive. She dropped into the hidden room above Phantom Thief, her eyes glowing crimson with anger.

quote:

[14:17:23] <Tricky> BP's going to punch her way into that suspicious blank spot on the minimap! (Unleash to reshape environment)
[14:17:26] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[14:17:27] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+3 =

Marking Angry to make it stable and not risk bringing down the mansion!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Creepy Secret Lab

The comm chatter indicated that Anarchy had begun her ludicrous idea of hiding in plain sight -- in a giant robot. Naomi sighed. The diminutive hacker was a bit of an oddball, but she couldn't very well leave a friend -- such as she was -- without the proper support for her plan. She'd need to focus on events above for a moment. Surely Phantom Thief would have the first opportunity to scout out the secrets within this hidden sub-level, but she was not terribly concerned at the prospect. She was having something of a bad feeling about the whole thing and if he tripped a few traps along the way? All the better for her.

Patching in to the Striker Pack v2, which was orbiting the mansion at a safe altitude, she established a basic combat algorithm for it to follow while Anarchy maneuvered the robot to safety. Naomi triggered her comms, "Anarchy. I'm sending in my Striker Pack to help establish credibility. Please don't break it. It's very, very expensive. Oh, and there may be some explosions. Don't pay them too much mind." Naomi hoped that the hacker would listen. She hadn't even had the chance to dock with it yet and unleash the myriad weapon systems. The thought of it being destroyed before that could happen... she shuddered in simulated horror. She also activated all of the explosives, perhaps as nothing more than an afterthought.

~~~

Earlier, when Breaking Point was flying to the mansion...

It was a good thing that the communicator was still completing the final set of diagnostics and inoperable, because Breaking Point was livid. Easy prey for any manipulations that the loathsome Whisperwind might send her way. What sort of self-respecting engineer would try and arm a communications relay with anti-personnel electric countermeasures? The sheer gall of thinking that would hold a determined human back, let alone a state-of-the-art combat chassis, had her already plotting to destroy the manufacturer. Key communications hubs needed fool-proof defenses. Annihilation matrices. Quantum-uncertainty shrapnel launchers. Even a god-drat disintegration cannon.

In her anger, and perhaps a spot of spite, she began launching remote mines at key points along the street and at the telephone poles. This neighborhood needed to vet their residents better. No self-respecting home-owner's association should have allowed such substandard security equipment. By the time she was done, a blinking red trail of explosives dotted the streets between the pylon and the mansion proper.

~~~

Outside the mansion...

Explosions tear through the streets, power lines falling and water mains rupturing. It's all quite apocalyptic. The effect is completed as the Striker Pack descends from the heavens, targeting the mansion's anti-air defenses with precision strikes from a dizzying array of heavy-duty ordinance. A follow-up salvo sends missiles careening down around the robot, just outside the range at which the paint would be damaged.

The poor relay stands alone throughout all of this, lonely and forgotten, though there is a suspicious package resting up against the base. It is none other than the device that Breaking Point struggled to attach earlier. It begins to blink an angry red, then erupts in a particularly massive explosion.

Spending a team to boost Anarchy's roll to a 7.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi, having fulfilled her duties as Anarchy's greatest friend and the most competent member of their band of lunatics, felt a strange sense of satisfaction welling up within her. Explosions truly could solve any problem. She turned her attention back towards the sub-level and Phantom Thief as he spoke up. Her face shifted, looking thoughtful, as she replied, "It would certainly seem that's the case. Some sort of strange research is going on here. I'll interface with their systems and see what I can pull out. My mapping software should be able to identify points of interest within this installation now that I've pierced through the shielding in the walls. Take a look around. I'll let you know if I find anything in their records."

Naomi glided over to the nearest bank of computers. One of her massive fingers flipped up and shot a variety of connectors and manipulators out. They quickly nestled into the computer towers and began to transmit the information contained within to a securely partitioned sector of her memory banks. There was certainly no reason to slack on data security, not with how strange this situation was. A small bar on her HUD began to fill as she liberated the lab's data. She scanned the stream of files as they came in, focusing on anything that might lead to identifying what she might want to remove from the lab.

quote:

[13:18:41] <Tricky> BP extends her senses to discover some juicy intel
[13:18:43] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[13:18:46] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+3 =

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point did her best to ignore the pest's provocations, but he was persistent if nothing else. He clearly wasn't going to go away before she acknowledged his presence. She sighed dramatically, then said, "If you don't mind, I'm trying to simultaneously crack an incredibly complex encryption algorithm and counter the attempts their security programs are making to compromise my data banks. I don't have time to trade barbed words with you. Why don't you go do something useful and help Anarchy secure the robot?" The bar continued to fill.

Mask Piercing posted:

How could I gain Influence over you? Start acting like a member of the team and contribute in material ways or apologize and convince Naomi that you aren't the same person who used her.
What weakness are you hiding? Naomi genuinely enjoys the company of Expatriot and Anarchy and would certainly compromise her own efforts or the mission for their sake.
How could I get your character to stop trying to destabilize my relationship with my GF? Regaining influence in a positive fashion would help, as would demonstrating that your relationship is a genuine positive for Anarchy. Or you could just get her to ask.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry | Location: 100% Anime

Breaking Point simmered with quiet rage as the infuriating man vanished into the aether. His insults were of no matter, of course, but pushing strange buttons in a sinister lab? Was his brain as empty as his words? Simply thoughtless. The whir of opening shutters caught her optics and she froze. Prisma? What was that do-gooder pest doing here? And why was she so sickly looking? Breaking Point noted the flagged files. The answer might have something to do with this so-called 'Project Apotheosis.' Programs and subroutines activated and the large file began to decrypt.

She slowly turned away from the tube, then sighed. It would be so easy to just leave them to die. It was the smart thing to do. It wouldn't do her any good to rescue them, but... Wasn't it all the same? Wouldn't she do that for Anarchy or Expatriot? Naomi glided over to Prisma's tube, wires stretching out behind her, and brought her free hand up and around the tube. Prisma's eyes grew wide as Naomi began to squeeze the tube, perhaps thinking that her death was coming sooner than not. A fair misunderstanding. The tube began to crack and deform under the pressure of her giant robot hand and then finally shattered into a glittering rain of shards. The hand gently grabbed onto Prisma and deposited her over Naomi's shoulder. A small fastener emerged from a hidden compartment and secured the hero in place.

Naomi looked over at Prisma, her face clearly not sure how to properly convey the emotions she was feeling, then said, "Rough day, Prisma? Good thing for you we're robbing the joint." Her free hand rocketed across the room, repeating the process with the other two humans and their tubes. A young man was quickly draped and secured on her other shoulder while a girl was gently cradled in her right hand. Her face settled on looking slightly embarrassed, "Don't get me wrong, I just don't want some weirdo with a secret lab to cut our rivalry short. Got it? It's not like we're friends or anything."

Breaking Point gives Prisma influence thanks to being a big softie and holds 1.

The bar on her HUD filled, flashed, and played a chipper tune. Decryption complete. Now, if she could figure out what this Apotheosis thing was all about, she might have a better idea about what to do with the lab. What equipment might be worth salvaging. Whether it should all get blown up. If there were any other innocents being processed.

Naomi patched into the video feed from the Striker Pack, noting the odd readings from some sort of box-like object. What were those fools doing? Expat had good ideas. She would know what to do with it. It was about time she stopped playing with foam and got her head in the game. She opened a private channel, "Expat. What's wrong? You're looking sluggish out there. If you're our leader, you need to lead." She sighed, then added, "Keep your head in the game, okay? Phantom and I should be inbound shortly."

Freebie Move posted:

[13:11:05] <Tricky> BP cows and/or rebukes Expatriot
[13:11:07] <Tricky> !r 2d6+1
[13:11:09] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+1 = 9

Curses, condition, or label shift if you respond.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 13, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: Doppleganger Deathmatch

As the text of the file played across her HUD, Breaking Point's eyes grew wide. Genetic manipulation? Clones of Uncle Sam? They knew about the presence of Protectotron-5? This situation was well beyond what they had anticipated. There was a secret here and-- Someone was in her system. Intrusion countermeasures sprang into action and were brushed aside like they were nothing. The failure cascade raced throughout Breaking Point's complex web of software and systems until the partition finally contained the attack. The twitching and sparking stopped after what seemed like an eternity. Her HUD died and the chassis crashed to the ground as power to the gravity drive was cut. It sat there for a moment, still, while the nano-machine simulacrum formed. A dark mirror of Sinclair Industries' masterwork.

Naomi drifted in the void. She felt nothing. Heard nothing. The world outside had vanished, leaving only her thoughts. What could have cut through her systems like that? No modern technology could cut through so many firewalls so quickly. Not even Anarchy, a genius hacker, could have done that. Was it the work of an extraterrestrial intelligence? What were they even after?

WARNING, YOU DID NOT SHUT DOWN 「BREAKING POINT OS V5.36」 PROPERLY. BOOTING IN SAFE MODE.

The lights and sounds of her chassis reactivating brought Naomi back to the moment. She dismissed the legion of error messages that flooded her HUD and met the monster's gaze. If she were capable of it, she would have shivered. That functionality was not essential for combat operations. Was that creature the work of Omega? Had she finally turned against them? Naomi looked to the heroes on her chassis, still secured in place, and theatrically sighed, "Normally I wouldn't let an inferior product damage the reputation of Sinclair Industries, but I suppose I can't truly demonstrate my superiority with passengers." Her eyes narrowed as she considered the nanobot-knockoff. She was getting a bad feeling about it despite all her bluster. Regardless, it wouldn't let them escape without some quick thinking.

Ports began to open all over Naomi's chassis, outside of the spots blocked off by her heroic cargo, and a wide variety of guns and missiles began to emerge. Errors once more filled her HUD. Targeting software unavailable. Tactical projections unavailable. Missile launch inadvisable. She dismissed them and authorized full manual control. Finesse was out of the question. There was nothing to do but fire everything and hope for the best. Missiles and projectiles swept across the lab, ripping through delicate machinery with ease and meeting the oncoming fire from the Doppleganger bullet for bullet.

Several explosions from compromised equipment cut across the lab, separating Naomi from the monster. She cranked her speaker output to maximum and shouted, "C'mon, Phantom, let's get out of here!" Without waiting for an answer, she diverted all discretionary power into her gravity drive. It hummed furiously as she shot back up into the parking garage and made for the rest of the team outside. She could hear the swarm still moving below her. If it was half as tough as her, it would be incredibly difficult to bring down.

quote:

[11:23:21] <Tricky> Breaking Point fights SA-X Point
[11:23:24] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[11:23:25] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =
[11:23:54] <Yamifenrir> BP-X, gosh

The authentic BP dehumanizes herself and faces to bloodshed (justifiably marking Paranoid) and chooses to resist blows while simultaneously creating an opportunity to escape.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: Doppleganger Deathmatch

As she fled, her software worked to repair some of the code that the attacker had corrupted. Almost immediately after the pair left the mansion, a message indicated that short-range communication systems were functioning at acceptable levels. The rest of the damage seemed more severe. It would likely require her transfer to the next-generation chassis, since she couldn't risk compromising the workshop's mainframe by interfacing with the chassis itself. Hopefully the techs would be able to integrate the data from the New Flyer in a timely fashion.

Naomi emitted a sharp laugh into the comms, painfully loud given that she hadn't dialed the master volume control back down, before continuing at a more appropriate volume level, "Nanomonster? You're underselling that thing, Phantom. Something in there -- Omega, a different nano-machine alien, whatever -- wants us all dead. Extremely dead. We've stumbled into somebody else's scheme. This isn't a normal mansion, not just the home of some collector. Whoever owns it -- really owns it -- is bad news. And, yeah, Expat, it was worth the detour. You'll want to hear what I found out. I'll fill you in when we're not in mortal danger."

She sent a tight-band transmission to the Striker Pack, issuing a retreat order. She couldn't dock with it while carrying the heroes and she wasn't about to hand them over to someone like Whisperwind. The metal rain slowed and then stopped as the pre-programmed combat routines were cancelled. It reengaged its optical camouflage and soared back into the clouds.

• Locked thread