Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -3 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Paris sewers | Infamy: 2

Phantom Thief walked through the Parisian catacombs and sewers with a map in his left hand, and his phone in his right, using it as a flashlight to find his way. He had checked multiple routes, done them several times to remember them by heart, and marked important intersections with chalk. Their escape route was more or less clear now. If they were to escape via these, he could lead the team straight to the magical store he'd found earlier that week. With some luck, they would be able to escape in the confusion caused by ransacking the place, and they could fly off on a bunch of brooms or something. He smiled as he walked back to the Louvre.

At the end of the tunnels, he hear Anarchy's... Music?... before he saw the lightshow the rest of the team was creating. He came to the grate in the basement where they stored works of art in between expositions, and unscrewed it, which took considerable effort by reaching through the steel bars in the grate and twisting his wrist uncomfortably. Eventually, he did get it loose enough to kick it out. He ran up the stairs, into the Louvre's expo halls, and his heart skipped a beat when he saw the carnage about to be caused. "Whoa, friends! I didn't expect the caper to involve busting up the place!"

He unholstered a revolver (loaded with sleeping darts, naturally) and half-heartedly took cover near Expatriot. "Could we, uh, not? Permanently wreck this place? It's kind of a national monument, and, well...I'm French."

quote:

21:12 Deltasquid Phantom Thief cooks up a scheme!
21:12 Deltasquid He prepares an escape route for the team through the sewers
21:12 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
21:12 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+3 = 9

Marking 'Doubting'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: +1 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: 0
Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Louvre | Infamy: 2

Turns out labels can't go below -2, so I'm reshifting my labels since last caper. As per Yami in IRC, I don't need to actually mark a condition for this roll.

Phantom Thief practically had to press his face against Expatriot's to hear her over the loud music.

"Okay! Okay, good. We can work with that. I said, WE CAN WORK! WITH THAT!"

He took a closer look at the scene unfolding before him. "This is rather surreal! Also, what are you asking me for? How could I possibly distract Netherwrath? Do you expect me to sugar talk.... HER?" He sighed. "The things I do for this team, unbelievable."

Phantom Thief got up and made the often practiced, smooth and casual walk towards Netherwrath. All grace, all elegance. "Hey, Netherwrath," he started, before feigning surprise at her T-shirt. "Hey, is that one new? It looks really good on you. Black is your colour!" As is tacky, he thought to himself. "Hey, look, listen... How do I put this?" He leaned in closer to her, wary that any of the heroes could hear him above this music, which was more of a symbolic effort, considering he could not even hear himself think. "Most of this art is priceless and most importantly, European and irreplaceable. Expatriot and I would appreciate it if you held back a little bit here. I know, I know, we are cramping your style. To make it up to you, I'll let you go hog wild on the American modern art exposition on the third floor. I can throw things at you and you can smash 'em with a baseball bat, homerun style! Yeah, America!"

He considered what else he could use as an argument. "Oh, also, I promise I will treat you on dinner at a fancy restaurant. Whole tab on me." The spoils would probably cover the tab a hundred times over, so it was an acceptable trade. "Like, a date?"

Why did he say that?

quote:

00:38 Deltasquid Phantom Thief distracts Netherwrath as per Expat's request... By asking her out on a date
00:38 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
00:38 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+3 = 9
00:39 Deltasquid rev up those kissie lips, boys
Netherwrath's options, for convenience:
- Give you Influence on them.
- Mark a condition.
- Give themselves to you and make themselves vulnerable.

As he talked to Netherwrath, Phantom Thief stared at the exhibits over her shoulder, and mentally tallied up the bounties. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw a particular staff in between the other exhibits.

"Wait, I'll get back to you," he said, and darted over to the staff.

He had to stop himself from pressing his hands and face against the glass. "This! This is! Have you seen this?"

He turned around to the rest of the team.

"Guys, have you checked this out? This is Silver Witch's staff! The genuine crystal staff, which she crafted when she was twenty and just out of the Magical Academy!"

He recalled seeing an episode about that when he was younger. Several times, in fact. It was the first episode in a twelve-week documentary about her which aired when he was ten or so. He remembered clearly, because a specific image had stuck with him all these years. It was a young Silver Witch, sitting on her flying broomstick, side saddle style. She wore thigh highs, a cute purple dress with yellow finishes, and a pointy hat. Come to think of it, the animated series about her was some cliché stuff that was cancelled after two seasons, but that iconic image was also used for the intro. In one episode, she rode this staff, rather than her broom, which had been a flagrant continuity error even Arsène had picked out back then.

Regardless, Silver Witch had kicked off a healthy interest in girls, witches and thigh highs for Arsène. He blushed a bit now, looking back at his innocent fanboyism for what was ostensibly a girls' show. But then again, people watched Totally Spies as well. Same broad appeal.

Unfortunately, Silver Witch had passed away months ago. 2016 did not even spare superheroes. She had reached the tender age of 26. Arsène closed his eyes, and reminded himself that mantra oft repeated. The body had never been found. Doctor Ersatz-Steiner had eradicated the village with his failed experiment, and she was presumed vaporised in the blast, but still. He believed.

Regardless, he wanted to own this piece of memorabilia. This one wasn't for selling. This one was a symbol that deserved far better than to be locked up between some Sphinxes and clay tablets.

quote:

00:01 Deltasquid Phantom Thief unleashes all of his sicknasty skillz and powers to grab the Hot Treasure of his precocious crush, the Silver Witch's staff!
00:01 Theantero welcome back TDN
00:01 Deltasquid !r 2d6-2
00:01 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 10-2 = 8
00:02 Deltasquid aww yeee

Phantom Thief took out his toolkit and got to work. Using a glass scalpel, he carefully cut a circle in the exhibit and removed it with a suction cup. He knew she'd cast a hex on the staff to prevent villains from making off with it, however. The museum personnel must have had great difficulty transporting it.

He took some strides backwards, and handily tossed a coin through the hole. The ice mine was tripped, and a freezing blast of cold shattered the glass upon detonation, like a waterfall of glittering snowflakes and shards. Then, he carefully touched the staff between charges, and used his superpower-annulling gloves to cancel the spell. He smiled. The prize was his.

quote:

01:15 Yamifenrir Whenever you use the kit in a cunning and risky way, roll +Trouble instead of +Freak to unleash your powers with it.
01:15 Yamifenrir this applies
01:15 Yamifenrir so if you can upgrade your move with that, do so
01:15 Deltasquid well then
01:15 Deltasquid that solves it
01:15 Deltasquid I get a 13 instead of an 8
Using up 1 charge of my Bag of Tricks and then it all evens out in the end!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 21, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: Louvre | Infamy: 2

Taking 1 curses! from NW's rebuke.

Phantom Thief coughed up the tongue and bent over, hands on his trembling knees, gasping for breath after the intrusive object had been expelled from his mouth, onto the floor.

"Whoa, Netherwrath!" He almost wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve, but stopped himself. He was afraid she would have perceived that as an insult.

"That might be the most intimate kiss someone has ever given me. Positively breathtaking."

Netherwrath might have noticed he was blushing at this point.

Phantom Thief reduced the crystal staff to a ball and put it in his bag of loot. "Hey, what was that about Little Judas Zeremiah was on about just now? Don't you reckon we should go after him?"

Seeing as the rest of the team was busy, he added: "Just the two of us?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

"A bit sour" is putting it lightly. Phantom Thief is going completely mental over Anarchy's wanton destruction.

Phantom Thief adds 1 plan to the pool by taking her bait.

His voice pipes up on the open communications line: "Anarchy, what the hell are you doing? Stop right this instant or I will whip your cul back in line! We agreed to replace the art with a low-effort meme gag because you people are soulless hacks who would do anything for five minutes of fame to stroke your E-peen while twitch chat fellates your fragile little ego! But this kind of permanent damage- I just can't- Why would you- STOP! STOP STOP STOP!"

quote:

19:40 Deltasquid rebuking Anarchy.exe for destroying cultural heritage solely to spite him
19:40 Deltasquid !r 2d6
19:40 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 10 = 10

On a hit, they hear you: They mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift labels if they respond. On a 10+, you can add Plan to the pool, or clear a condition yourself.

Adding another extra plan to the pool.

"Merde, I cannot believe zis merde! I'm so angry me accent's slipping! Va te faire foutre, Archaism dot ee-ex-ee!"

And with that, he stormed out of the room, doing what he could to regain his composure in the hallway. He counted to ten, took slow, deep breaths, and finally sighed. "Americans," he muttered to himself. He smiled. They were just jealous, that's all. It didn't matter. Anarchy could break every piece of art in every museum in France, and America would still have a millennium of catching-up to do.

Speaking of Americans, some California Beach Girl type blonde was walking towards him right this instant! He recognized that pretty face. Liberty Belle.

Her order to halt was a lot less convincing than he'd expected. Almost like her heart wasn't into it.

Phantom Thief turned around, double checking she wasn't addressing someone behind him. "Who? Me?"

Her lack of conviction was almost insulting, really. A master criminal like him should evoke more outrage and admiration than this.

"What's this, Liberty Belle? I thought you were the sort of chipper 'gal' who bounced around with a smile on her face and confidently stated she'd tie me down, or something."

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 29, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phantom Thief blinked.

"What?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: escaping Louvre | Infamy: 2

quote:

16:37 Deltasquid okay change of plans, PT is going to distract Atlantes
16:37 Deltasquid !r 2d6+3
16:37 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 8+3 = 11

Phantom Thief looked up when he heard the calling out of some sort of spell, and noticed the wizard Atlantes casting some sort of prison trap over them? On an instinct, he grabbed a flashbang from under his coat, opened the door from the moving car to briefly lean out, and lobbed the grenade at the spellcaster in question. It released a loud, high-pitched bang that hurt the eardrums, and the flash hopefully disoriënted the wizard enough to throw off his aim.

Atlantes flinched.

Phantom Thief yelled at BP: "Now! Unload everything you've got onto him!"

He then reached for his revolver, and turned around the his seat, preparing to fire off pot shots of stun darts if need to be.

- You get an opportunity.
- You confuse them for some time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: escaping Louvre | Infamy: 2

quote:

11:22 Deltasquid rebuking Whisperwind
11:22 Deltasquid !r 2d6
11:22 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6 = 6
11:22 Deltasquid ouch
11:22 Deltasquid oh wait, do I add 1 for influence to that

Netherwrath lands squarely onto Phantom Thief's lap, sending him reeling and gasping for air. Combined with the fast, dizzying teleportations Whisperwind used to pull off this insane maneouvre, Phantom Thief wasn't feeling very good at all.

"Whisperwind, could you try a more convivial style of driving? You're throwing us all over the place and I'm feeling like a pinball in a tilting machine! Now please just..."

He eyed the wizard-man outside.

"Just go!"

On a hit, they hear you: They mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift labels if they respond.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: penthouse of friendship and love | Infamy: 3

quote:

10:33 Deltasquid PT rolls for end of caper infamy
10:33 Deltasquid !r 2d6+4
10:33 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 7+4 = 11

It had been several days since the attack on the Louvre.

Arsène lay in bed with his brand-new smartphone in hand, scrolling along the news ticker, and smiled. He'd read the news tickers before, of course, but sometimes he went back to the news of a caper days or even weeks ago to read them all again. The awe-struck journalism made him feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, without fail.

Le Cottidien Parisien had run a 3-day special recreating the events of the caper as more events and witnesses came to light. They even put in a little graph and timeline and everything. For days after that, they ran articles on the poor security at the Louvre, and several schmucks took the fall and lost their jobs. The French hero association and its role in society was even being discussed in the Parlement, and the ministers of interior and of culture had both resigned in shame.

"Le Cambrioleur fantôme, véritable icone de culte sur les résaux sociaux..."

He chuckled, and linked the article on his website with a poll. 81% "Wow!" ratings. 11% "Not bad!" ratings. And 8% "Meh" ratings. Perhaps one of the better hauls, publicity-wise. His European fans in particular were thrilled with his escapades in Paris, and Arsène wondered whether he could figure out a special treat for his Japanese fans in the near future.

He looked over to the corner of his room, where the Silver Witch's staff was more or less hidden behind a closet. To his surprise, nobody had tried to wrest it from him. They probably all knew it was useless to try and out-thief the master thief himself.

But, enough rubbing his own ego. Time to get dressed.

---

Phantom Thief walked into the kitchen and gave everyone a cheerful "Bonjour!" Just for Netherwrath, he added a wink. Upon noticing BP's new chassis, he noted: "Oh, a new chassis! It's stylish."

"Boy, did I sleep well tonight. Look at the time! Perhaps a brunch is in order." As he said this, he moved towards the fridge, checked for ingredients with the intention of making a continental breakfast, but the lack of bacon sank that idea. "Hmm, anyone up for some crêpes? I can make them sweet or salty, if you like. Anarchy?" Asking the hungry child-thing was an unfortunate slip-up that PT instantly regretted. He couldn't hold back when he was in a good mood. He still had to learn that a true villain is petty and selfish, even when things went right for him.

Now Anarchy was going to demand he put Redbull into the crêpe mix or something, or maybe she'd want hers sprinkled with slices of Mars bars. With dreadful anticipation, PT put two bowls on the table; one for her mixture, and one for everybody else's.

"Oh, Netherwrath, about tonight. Sushi or Italian?"

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 28, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Location: penthouse of friendship and love | Infamy: 3

Phantom Thief chuckled. "Aww, and I was looking forward to seeing you in a fancy dress. Well, sushi it is!"

That evening, at Wabi Sabi Sushi.

The tables here were separated from each other with thin wooden walls and curtains. Phantom Thief sat at the reserved table for two, sipping plum wine and fiddling on his phone as he waited.

He looked over the menu again and frowned. "This is surprisingly cheap," he muttered to himself. Then, he noticed the prices weren't in yen, and his heart skipped a beat. Well, hopefully Netherwrath wasn't too hungry tonight, or the bill would cover more or less his entire bounty from the last caper.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phantom Thief swallowed when Netherwrath walked through the curtain. On anybody else, this dress would have been laughworthy or vulgar. However, nobody would dare laugh at Netherwrath, and her genuine lack of fashion sense gave the outfit a certain sense of endearing naiveness.

"Mon Dieu, Netherwrath, you look, uh, stunning."

He winced a little bit when she jotted down her orders, and made a mental note to send Expatriot a text and demand recognition for the brutal assaults his wallet was willing to take for team cohesion. In turn, he jotted down a few middle-of-the-line items.

"I like tuna," he said, feeling that some justification was necessary.

Regarding her question, he tried to handwave it away. It was uncouth to mention your many conquests to a lady you were trying to sire, even if she happened to be a bully who picked on you from time to time.

"Well, I can't deny that I'm popular. Haha. I think maybe..." He had lost count of the exact number. As a matter of fact he couldn't remember how many girls he'd been on dates with this month. Well, there was Prisma, and K'Lyathi, wherever she was, and that one French girl... What was her name?

Also, that girl at Starbucks the other day? Does it count if you start chatting up a girl while her actual date is going to the bathrooms and you sit on his spot?

"... Several. Yeah, several girls every... Few months."

Before she could press the issue, he threw the question right back at her: "What about you? You're certainly confident and grab everyone's attention."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 2/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Wabi Sabi Sushi | Infamy: 3

"Ooh, picky, you say?" Phantom Thief liked picky.

He smiled at her question about villainy. "I get that a lot. Long story short, I once stole a thing from the teacher's lounge and the whole school loved me for it. Except the staff, of course. And then another thing... And another... And I found it thrilling. Between the admiration of the people, who were happy to see their superiors taken down a notch, the challenge of it all, the mental games, ramping up the ridiculousness as I went along... Always more, always better... It's addicting, you know?"

"As for the money, well, yeah. But it's my parents' money. It feels rather lazy to just ask them to buy me something, right? Besides, it's the perfect front. Who suspects a rich kid from nicking stuff?"

The waiter delivered their orders. Phantom Thief poured soy sauce in the saucers and snapped his chopsticks, and mingled some wasabi into his soy. "You know," he began, "people in Japan never eat their wasabi raw on their sushi. They also don't actually use chopsticks to eat sushi. Rather, you use your fingers. It's bad form to get soy on your rice, so you pick it up and turn it around and dip the fish in the soy only."

Naturally, he was handy enough with chopsticks to not require his fingers' dexterity for this movement, and enough of a show-off that he did just that. But he wanted Netherwrath to know she could eat with her hands if she wanted to.

"So, how about you? Why the villainy?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 3/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Wabi Sabi Sushi | Infamy: 3

"Ah, I'm sorry for that." Dead parents were never a good topic of discussion.

They ate in silence for a while. Then, Phantom Thief put his hand on Netherwrath's.

Cling to the safety that others can bring when you are vulnerable, nursing your wounds and indignities until vengeance is yours. Describe to whom you seek succor from, and how they can give it to you. Give them Influence over you, and either clear a condition or mark Curses!

Phantom Thief has a pleasant (?) date with Netherwrath. She gains influence over him, he marks curses, and she can shift his labels as she already had influence.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Wabi Sabi Sushi | Infamy: 3

When the table pinned Phantom Thief's legs, he made a strange and high-pitched squeaky noise.

He made the same noise, louder and drawn-out, when Netherwrath grabbed him by the collar.

"OhmondieuIamsosorryIjustwantedtobenicedon'thurtmepleasepleaseplease!"

More of his squeaks filled the restaurant as concerned staff came to check up on them.

PT marks curses and learns to not engage in affectionate acts with less-than-stable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 4/5 | Conditions: Doubting | Homebase | Infamy: 3

PT's date with Netherwrath shifts her Freak down 1, and her trouble up 1.

~Back at homebase~

Phantom Thief smiled at Breaking Point's suggestion.

"That's not a bad idea. I have some new gadgets that need testing, and booby trapping a track field is a great way to determine their precision and delayed triggers on a herd of unsuspecting targets. I fourth that motion!"

• Locked thread