Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So before I pop into a practice session, I'll often pull up the results of the last race from that series. I like to know what the fast cars are running, what the slow cars are running. Well my god son, never in my god drat life. Formula Renault at Bathurst's last race.

I hope someone has film of that, jesus christ. What a first trip over the mountain THAT must have been. 21 cars take off, 8 finish the first lap. I mean my god.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
That assumes they even made it to the mountain.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Largepotato posted:

I've seen enough Frenault turn 1's to know this is the more likely possibility.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I made that post before I drove it, but I now salute the 8 people who managed to finish that first lap. It's not even Bathurst so much as the car itself - I've never experienced another car on the service with worse lap 1 behavior than the Frenault. It's like driving on ice if the ice was simultaneously driving on still more ice. That car and that track are the devil's own work.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Tell me it was at least with warm track temp, just because I would love to see an update of this post once you drive that thing with overcast skies.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

One of my only road race wins ever was at Bathurst where people were dying left and right in the skippy. I just used my fast repair early and kept it on track after. :smug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Largepotato posted:

This pretty much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know, if you do the Cadillac fixed race at the Nurburgring first, the Audi seems downright nimble by comparison :v:

I'm having a shitload of fun in Kamel GT, though if you lose the draft you're screwed. It's ridiculously easy to lose the car going into 1, but by the same token it's also really easy to just mash the gas and at least avoid the offtrack 1X. It's stupid fun.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Im gonna wait for sebring before i jump into kamel gt.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
So who all was gonna do Petit Lemans tomorrow? I only see 3 people on my spreadsheet unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I would but I'm terrible so...

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

honda whisperer posted:

so you're perfect for it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

MisterZimbu posted:

So who all was gonna do Petit Lemans tomorrow? I only see 3 people on my spreadsheet unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I might be around, I wouldn't want to commit to any time slots though

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
If you want to drive just say something in Discord and we'll figure it out. I just dont want to end up not getting someone in because we ended up needing 2 teams.

honda whisperer posted:

You're rapidly approaching a car in front of you. Do you:

A) Go around
B) Drive straight into them

If you chose A, you are better than some people who drove last year.

But really, so long as you're 1. not massively slower than the RUFs and 2. Can drive a stint without dying, you're probably fine.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 23, 2016

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ok what are you driving, whens does it start/finish/need a driver and do you have a setup you'll be running? I'll go practice and see if ill be in the ballpark.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MisterZimbu posted:

You're rapidly approaching a car in front of you. Do you:

A) Go around
B) Drive straight into them

If you chose A, you are better than some people who drove last year.
They know who they are, but someone did exactly this last year and it was hilarious.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't have much interest in playing this game but I've gotten some bizarre joy out of watching Twitch streamers who do play it. It's either a relaxing stroll through a course with occasional exciting battling, or complete clusterfucks. :allears: There was one earlier today where, right at the start, someone two cars in front of the streamer proceeded to go... then suddenly stop dead, ten feet off the starting line, causing a big pileup. Literally not even 10 seconds in and everything went to hell.

I'm glad I found this thread, it's great to find some new entertainment.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Usually at least one or two of us stream gooncar, and I usually stream my bad attempts at oval raving during the werk, at night et.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Streaming the Petit Le Mans right now

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wrecked twice with required repairs each time. Car is visibly slower now.

It's me. I'm the stereotypical GT3 driver.

e: third wreck. I might be done.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 24, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's why I'm nowhere to be seen. But I'm bitch rear end broke and all the oval series I wanna run are on tracks I don't own next week. Maybe I'll put a week into road racing. Probably not, but maybe .

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm thinking about trying iRacing because I want to drive nascars and paint nascars. God help me if I end up with a wheel.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You must have a wheel for anything above rookies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can probably do oval racing with just a controller. You're going to want a wheel at some point though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I did about three oval races before I said "gently caress. I need a wheel."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah what I mean is if I end up with a wheel that means I'm committed enough to sink a shitload of time into this and rip me

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

You can probably do oval racing with just a controller. You're going to want a wheel at some point though.
Lol yeah okay

You could do like, bottom split or ironic carb cups, that's it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I am pretty sure you could race ovals with a NES controller.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

OhsH posted:

I am pretty sure you could race ovals with a NES controller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Thunder_(video_game)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It would be easier with a NES controller than an Xbox one. The Xbox dpad sucks and the stick has a giant rear end dead zone.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah what I mean is if I end up with a wheel that means I'm committed enough to sink a shitload of time into this and rip me

:pcgaming: doooo iiiiiiit :pcgaming:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Helicon One posted:

:pcgaming: doooo iiiiiiit :pcgaming:

A controller doesn't give you anywhere near the same experience.

Jooooiiinnnn ussssssss.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Or use a controller so I have someone to battle in Gooncar.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

kidcoelacanth posted:

Team Fortress 2 is a FPS in name only; it's mainly a hat simulator. Similarly, iRacing is a $100/year paint scheme showroom. And it's worth it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is this on trading paints?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

tater_salad posted:

Is this on trading paints?

Somewhere. I'll get it out later.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Ok so oval racing in a skip is not a part of my current skillset. Microphone wasnt working so couldn't complain about it either, when I steered into a wall fidgeting with my pit settings I realized it was time to call it a night. Hope to see you guys next week, maybe I'm a little more competitive if we turn right every once in a while.

I do wonder though, hotlapping I turned laps of around 18 seconds flat around bristol on a decent lap in default weather. What in the name of christ can you do to knock .3 of a second off that?? I just keep it in 4th, lift a little for each corner and try to keep as much exit speed as possible. Is this not the trick to turning left?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
heres your future reminder to set the servers on not loving netherlands.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was definitely really fun trying pass people when the cars in front would randomly steer to the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

Ok so oval racing in a skip is not a part of my current skillset. Microphone wasnt working so couldn't complain about it either, when I steered into a wall fidgeting with my pit settings I realized it was time to call it a night. Hope to see you guys next week, maybe I'm a little more competitive if we turn right every once in a while.

I do wonder though, hotlapping I turned laps of around 18 seconds flat around bristol on a decent lap in default weather. What in the name of christ can you do to knock .3 of a second off that?? I just keep it in 4th, lift a little for each corner and try to keep as much exit speed as possible. Is this not the trick to turning left?

The draft gotta get in the draft.
Then die because some fuckman wads it up in front of you.