Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it'll all be over in a couple of more hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar tomorrow! Still doing the Nordschleife thing, still picking free cars with headlights, so it's time to break out the Radical. Prepare to die horribly!

Also if you don't look at the discord much: we race GTEs in enduros every week (EiLMS/GT Pro Qual on alternate weeks) and the more goon teams we can assemble the more streamers we can beatcrash into embarrassingly.

Also: our car is rad.

Vando fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 22, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When are you doing the gte race. I'm helping my dad work on his 49 Chevy and am planning to be back in time for gooncar.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Race starts 4.5hrs before gooncar, stints are 1hr long. If you arrive in time for the last stint you should be ok to get a drive unless we only have one team of three running.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my God stop with the cockring.

Maybe I'll race it for the lulz since I'll probably be tired of whatever poo poo oval tracks are running this week (practicing tonight maybe).

Please set my damage to cosmetic only Tia.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The way to stop me scheduling Always Nordschleife is to to get 10 people to show up when we do other things because at least hotlapping the ring alone is fun even if only 4 people show up

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is true. Sundays are kind of (if I'm not out enjoying my one kid free weekend day) open for me but I don't own the ring and have a near negative percent desire to own it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The nordschleife is really fun and we don't run the bad GP track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ring rules. Please do not slander it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Gooncar tomorrow! Still doing the Nordschleife thing, still picking free cars with headlights, so it's time to break out the Radical. Prepare to die horribly!

:frogsiren: This is in one hour! :frogsiren:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
When will you have to start picking cars without headlights?

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Woo, got iracing today. Did my first race on a course I've not done before. Finished dead last after I spun with 3 laps to go. Managed not to collect anyone. Couple more tries and hopefully I'll end up not last.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Sounds like you're doing it right, early stages the key is not dying and then as you advance the key is still not dying but everyone around you thinks they're Max Verstappen so it's much harder.

Largepotato posted:

When will you have to start picking cars without headlights?

Then we switch to teams of 2 where one car has lights and the other doesn't.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jefinabox posted:

Woo, got iracing today. Did my first race on a course I've not done before. Finished dead last after I spun with 3 laps to go. Managed not to collect anyone. Couple more tries and hopefully I'll end up not last.

when you're starting it's best to practice the track a bit before you hop into the race.
Also please please please remember that rookies suck at driving, especially with traffic unless you can make a very clean and quick pass hang out, pressure them and make them gently caress up some turn or another. Watch for idiots entering the track in front of you. basically in rookies your job is to identify terrible drivers and anticipate their lovely actions. I feel iRacing has made me a slightly more defensive driver when it comes to anticipating the idiot in front of me being an idiot.

Tldr: In rookies it's like a snowy drive in virginia but with 300% bad driving in front of you. Pay attention to that idiot and wait for them to end up off the road in a ditch before passing. Also practice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's definitely easier in rookies to make the person in front drive in their mirrors and cause them to miss a turn.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

tater_salad posted:

basically in rookies your job is to identify terrible drivers and anticipate their lovely actions.

For ovals, this remains true up to at least C-Class.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Today's Gooncar: GT3s (and Cadillac for the free content option) at the Ring in the middle of the night, again. Good luck have fun etc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/iracing/status/1079254248276267014?s=21

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
iRacing can't do memes right because the guy who says that is the one giving out the 4xs like candy 90% of the time

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar tonight: more Nords nighttime mayhem, Mustang and MX5. If you own the Mustang bloody drive it though, the MX5 is only so people without the content can join in. Also if we get a shitload of people somehow: future Gooncar Mustang series? It's a fun car to drive, can be our tin top Skip equivalent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh my sweet jesus, Max Verstappen is playing iRacing

quote:

Max Verstappen managed to put a world record on his name. While Formula 1 is in winter break Verstappen is spending a lot of time on his simulator at home. He is racing in team RedLine on iRacing and he is doing well.

Watch the footage below of him breaking the F3 World Record at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

https://www.sportvideos.tv/max-verstappen-sets-f3-world-record-at-charlotte-motor-speedway/

Followed by

quote:

Today we bring you footage of last night showing the Red Bull driver losing his temper in a battle with another driver.

https://www.sportvideos.tv/max-verstappen-lost-his-temper-during-sim-racing-last-night/

Goddamn dude

This all just reminds me of Scott Speed's bit in iRacing: https://wtf1.com/post/scott-speed-has-been-banned-from-iracing-for-crashing-into-people-on-purpose/

Guess pro drivers don't like it when everyday joes make them look bad :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 11, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I can understand why he did it, can't do that on the real track. It's gotta be real cathartic to do it online. But you can't be doing that poo poo.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that's specifically against the sporting code. People have wheels that are powerful enough that it can cause legit wrist injury if you're not expecting a crash.

I expect he'll get sat down for that one, for some time. I've certainly protested for less.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's not super terrible it's practice. If you have a wtist-snaper-4xg maybe not use that wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

People have wheels that are powerful enough that it can cause legit wrist injury if you're not expecting a crash.

If you have a wheel powerful enough to injure you, you shouldnt play with randos on the internet, or if you do, expect to get hurt

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah that's specifically against the sporting code. People have wheels that are powerful enough that it can cause legit wrist injury if you're not expecting a crash.

I expect he'll get sat down for that one, for some time. I've certainly protested for less.

Lol if you think Nim did anything.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I drive a BBW posted:

Lol if you think Nim did anything.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see Max's face if he did get a sternly worded email about it or whatever.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
gently caress Maxchat the important thing is its the Daytona 24 next week and all of you rookies should make a team so we can get a full Bearpoping across classes (except the DP bc lol nobody drives those)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar tomorrow is: Cadillacs at Summit Point! OH poo poo SON FREE CONTENT ALERT

I'll post a setup in the morning, will be fixed setup because the baseline drives like rear end/fast setups probably also drive like rear end but this one owns.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Former coworker is selling his simpit setup:

Obutto Revolution with a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia. Obutto monitor and keyboard trays were not assembled, but will come with the setup. The whole thing was rarely used. He's not given a price, he's just "open to offers" in the Dallas/Fort-Worth area.

If interested, send an email to joshlreese@gmail.com

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Gooncar tomorrow is: Cadillacs at Summit Point! OH poo poo SON FREE CONTENT ALERT

I'll post a setup in the morning, will be fixed setup because the baseline drives like rear end/fast setups probably also drive like rear end but this one owns.

Setup is now in the discord

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did skips on Tsukuba last night, qualified 10th, spun on cold tires in the last corner of the first lap after successfully dodging the T1 pileup. Like a ~true gentleman racer~, I waited for literally every other racer to pass me in the corner before going perpendicular to the flow of traffic to get pointed in the right direction, putting me in 18th place by a solid 10 seconds.

I was gonna quit out and say gently caress it, but it was a 20 lap race, so I decided to see what I could do. Some good luck with other people’s crashes and some hard fought places later, I crossed the finish line in 7th.

My lesson for the week, stay in it, it can pan out :unsmith:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Goons did Daytona! 24 hours, 24th place. Sounds about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-0Wosd77Q

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
In other news:

:siren: GOONCAR :siren:

Regular time tonight (check league sessions) and we're doing Cadillacs at Bathurst at night. Yes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It was scenic as hell. Then the sun set, and the track got infinitely more frightening.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Won my first league race Wed night. Trucks at Atlanta, open sets.
I'm just happy I got a win against guys that I'm normally struggling to break the top 10 against and who easily have 1K irating on me. So yeah, good times.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 25, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone use this site for setups?

http://iracingsetupsync.nickthissen.nl/Setups/Index

Rather than spend hours twiddling with settings I’d like to just start with a good one

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone use this site for setups?

http://iracingsetupsync.nickthissen.nl/Setups/Index

Rather than spend hours twiddling with settings I’d like to just start with a good one

There's a few options for setups. If there's one particular car you want strong setups for then VRS isn't a bad investment. I pay $5/m for the FR3.5 setups there because I really like the way they drive (plus the data is very useful for getting faster).

for multiple cars there's craigs setup shop. I think it's $5 a month subscription but you get access to all the setups. The good thing about craigs is that you can use a twitch subscription instead of paying $5 so if you have amazon prime (and therefore get a free twitch prime sub every month) you can just use that on craigs channel and not pay a penny!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NtotheTC posted:

for multiple cars there's craigs setup shop. I think it's $5 a month subscription but you get access to all the setups. The good thing about craigs is that you can use a twitch subscription instead of paying $5 so if you have amazon prime (and therefore get a free twitch prime sub every month) you can just use that on craigs channel and not pay a penny!

Oh, drat, I’ll look into Craig’s. I have a twitch prime sub, and all the big iracers I watch seem to use Craig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar this week isssss: Miatas and GT3s at Bathurst! 2130UTC, check league sessions list for local time etc