Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But they're still one of the best parts of the movie. Maybe we should just relax a little and let movies be fun?

Why does everything have to be some kind of statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We are Siamese if you please.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT PRINCESS JASMINE'S STUNNING NEW MAKEOVER

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
they were strong symbols of southeast asian pride

they were proudly siamese whether or not you pleased

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rezatahs posted:

they were strong symbols of southeast asian pride

they were proudly siamese whether or not you pleased

Exactly!

Exactly.

If anything, people who are offended by the Siamese Cats are the real racists.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

tenspott posted:

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT PRINCESS JASMINE'S STUNNING NEW MAKEOVER

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Maybe that's just how cats from Siam look and talk. Ain't racist if it's true.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Maybe that's just how cats from Siam look and talk. Ain't racist if it's true.

Right? We don't speak cat language. It's all conjecture.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Shouldn't we call them Thai Cats nowadays?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of people seem to confuse stereotypes with racism.

This is what racism in a movie looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOI3FqCZJE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stereotyping is a passive form of racism fuckman

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Is the stereotypical goon a racist construct?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hate Persians

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oEOdIBOpU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Tricky D posted:

Is the stereotypical goon a racist construct?

It's moral to stereotype and be racist against white people, stupid.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Stereotyping is a passive form of racism fuckman

Wellllllllllllll.
I mean I can see your point, but film, and cartoons especially, are a constrained medium that must convey a lot of information to the audience in a very short amount of time. The reader may only get to know a character for a few seconds and details like a character's appearance, demeanor, accent, body language and facial expression must be simplified so the audience can instantly grasp everything they need to know at a glance. Stereotypes are a vital part of the visual storytelling process and dismissing stereotypes instantly as a bad thing is kinda counterproductive.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Wellllllllllllll.
I mean I can see your point, but film, and cartoons especially, are a constrained medium that must convey a lot of information to the audience in a very short amount of time. The reader may only get to know a character for a few seconds and details like a character's appearance, demeanor, accent, body language and facial expression must be simplified so the audience can instantly grasp everything they need to know at a glance. Stereotypes are a vital part of the visual storytelling process and dismissing stereotypes instantly as a bad thing is kinda counterproductive.

I never dismissed them as a bad thing. Stereotypes are inevitable in any form of storytelling. I took ENG-101 too. Stereotypes have also been well-documented to perpetuate racial misconceptions and foster social divides to this very day.

That was my point-- stereotyping isn't inherently racist, but it does not take much at all for it to become a passive form of racism.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

notZaar posted:

It's moral to stereotype and be racist against white people, stupid.

Not that I disagree, but I'm pretty sure there are goons who aren't white.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nail on the head applewhite. There's pretty much an similar issue with some girls who find doggystyle degrading. Face the facts girls, it's actually an incredibly empowering position to be in if you're a man, less so if you're homosexual and receiving it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Walt Disney was known to be progressive and accepting of all.

Can we talk about an actually really racist cartoon?

Because white people don't act like Elmer Fudd.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Thailand declared war on America in WW2 and we actually just laughed it off and didn't declare war back on them.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

That cartoon actually downplays how god-awfully shrill and annoying Siamese cats actually are.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
me siamese me play joke me put pee pee in your coke

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bert Roberge posted:

Walt Disney was known to be progressive and accepting of all.

Can we talk about an actually really racist cartoon?

Because white people don't act like Elmer Fudd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX0_FUGM6k

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

We are Siamese if you please.

We are siamese if you DON'T please

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

dad gay. so what posted:

me siamese me play joke me put pee pee in your coke

I'm offended at this on behalf of the chinese

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bert Roberge posted:

That cartoon actually downplays how god-awfully shrill and annoying Siamese cats actually are.

my cat was a stray but based on how vocal and springy the fucker is and the markings he has on he nose/tail/feet he has to be. he's also a lil cross eyed

except hes like 15 pounds of pure muscle on a lanky rear end frame

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Ya know what else is racist!?

Me beating up Filipino house keepers at the Best Western while I'm wearing full body black face paint and pretending to be Charles Barkley, I bet

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the crows from dumbo were racist - but they were the ones that told him he could fly

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ya know what else is racist!?

Me beating up Filipino house keepers at the Best Western while I'm wearing full body black face paint and pretending to be Charles Barkley, I bet

IDK man, maybe you are just expressing your own cultural heritage.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

my cat was a stray but based on how vocal and springy the fucker is and the markings he has on he nose/tail/feet he has to be. he's also a lil cross eyed

lol they're both the worst and the best.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
looks like they wing the wong number

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tricky D posted:

IDK man, maybe you are just expressing your own cultural heritage.

This guy gets it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I'm better at Madden than your cat

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

More pictures of this cat please.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Is he playing 3 blind mice?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Ching Chong cang Ching eggfoo young

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of the movie Aristocats, I've actually rewatched it recently and it's surprising how cheap and low scope it is compared to the 90s Disney stuff I grew up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
yeah I'm pretty sure the 90s were the pinnacle of disney development the ideals bestowed by the wide world perception of their artists gave me the strength and inspiration to build my own underwater golden penis castle

• Locked thread