Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Scene:

Late 70's. New York City is a mess. lovely economy, abandoned buildings, arson, gangs roaming the streets. And Disco rules the world.

The Get Down is a musical drama based (so far) in the late 70's in (mostly) South Bronx. While based on some real people, and real events, it is a highly fictionalized account of (so far) the coming out of Hip Hop culture.

The first six episode 'chapter' was released exclusively on Netflix on August 12, 2016. The episode length varies a lot, so be prepared (first episode is 92 minutes).

The comparison to Moulin Rouge isn't made lightly: it's made by the same dude. But hey, don't worry. This isn't some Vinyl bullshit where White Man Discovers Hip Hop. Its production was helped along by such luminaries as Nas.

But, be prepared. The series is weird, wonderful, and a mess. It takes a while to get some where, and there is a shitload of schlock. Overly saccharine, wish fulfilling schlock: but fun nonetheless.

Main Cast:

Justice Smith is Ezekiel "Zeke" Figuero - The show is mostly seen through his eyes, and it is established that he's relating these tales from the present as a super successful artist (portrayed by Daveed Diggs and voiced by Nas). He's extremely smart, but pulled into multiple directions by people who aren't as concerned about what he wants, but what they want him to be for them. He's been in love with Mylene forever. His parents died when he was relatively young, and has been raised buy his aunt and her husband.

Shameik Moore is Shaolin Fantastic - Let's get this out of the way since I didn't mention it before. A lot of this proto-hip hop story is somewhat rooted in Eastern Kung-Fu mysticism. Yea, it's cheesy but it's great escapism. Shaolin is a legendary grafitti artist: but that's not his real goal in life. He dreams of becoming as good as a DJ as his idol: Grandmaster Flash

Herizen F. Guardiola is Mylene Cruz - She dreams of getting the gently caress out of the Bronx and becoming the next big Disco star. Which, is kind of hard because her Dad is super religious. She's into Zeke, but she doesn't want him to hold her back from her dreams.

Other Cast:

Quick Primer on the relationships.

Zeke is practically a part of the Kipling family. Kipling family is headed by what seems to be the best parents ever, and almost always has an open spot at the table. Zeke is close friends with:

copied and pasted from Wikipedia because I'm lazy
Jaden Smith as Marcus “Dizzee” Kipling, the most artistically minded of the Kipling brothers, Dizzee is a graffiti artist who tags as Rumi 411.
Skylan Brooks as Ra-Ra Kipling, a loyal, respected, protective friend and brother with his head screwed on tight, he's the voice of reason beyond his years.
T. J. Brown Jr. as Boo-Boo Kipling, a mechanically minded kid who is an irrepressible 40-year-old in a 14-year-old's body.

The Kiplings also have a daughter, Yolanda Kipling (Stefanée Martin), who is best friends with Mylene. So this is basically how Zeke and Mylene have known each other forever.

Jimmy Smits as Francisco 'Papa Fuerte' Cruz - a South Bronx political boss who delivers services to his constituents that the city has failed to provide.

Kevin Corrigan as Jackie Moreno - Used to be the king poo poo producer of the disco world. But, thanks to drugs and assholery, is the downest and outest. He gets a second chance to put it all together, if only he can get himself together.

Lillias White as Fat Annie - She's a local crime boss in the Bronx, dabbles in most things. Owns Les Inferno. She's got a hold on Shaolin.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Cadillac - Can you dig it? This cat is the son of Fat Annie, and runs Les Inferno. He's used to getting almost everything he wants.

Giancarlo Esposito as Pastor Ramon Cruz, Papa Fuerte's brother and Mylene's father, the charismatic head of the local Pentecostal church who attracts a flock of followers with his fiery sermons and firm, steady leadership.

You can check out the trailer here.

You want to check out the great soundtrack? Well, here's a sample! Some disco, some 70's soul, and great poo poo like this semi-recurring tune in the series. Sadly, Misty Holloway isn't real and therefore there isn't a Pakoussa remix of anything. One of these days I'll see if the song was identified.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin love this show so far

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My wife and I just finished this last week. The music is amazing and I can't say enough about how fun the hip hop and rhyming are in this show. If you've seen the little clip played on Facebook,that scene is so much better in show. Check it out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Had time to update the OP.

The series creator, Baz Luhrmann has stated that he's going to explore the rise of punk and other genres as well, so later chapters might explore that. No word on when the next chapter is coming out, but I think sometime in 2017

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Nice, thanks for making up a thread! Everyone should check this out.

What I've been telling my friends and family is that if you enjoy at least 3 things from the following list:

Hiphop, rap battles, DJing & turntables, West Side Story, Moulin Rouge, Glee, musicals, The Warriors, Kung Fu flicks, 70's 'Blaxploitation' flicks, Saturday Night Fever, graffiti culture, 'coming-of-age' stories, superhero team-up movies, New York history

they will probably find enough here to really dig into it.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I'm only three episodes in and I'm loving this show. It's clear the show embraced the cheese funk down to the period accurate bottles of soap.

Miguel's single for the show ("Cadillac") is underappreciated. It's clear someone loved the 70s jams of their youth and made it pleasing for the current millennial sound.

Moacher posted:

Hiphop, rap battles, DJing & turntables, West Side Story, Moulin Rouge, Glee, musicals, The Warriors, Kung Fu flicks, 70's 'Blaxploitation' flicks, Saturday Night Fever, graffiti culture, 'coming-of-age' stories, superhero team-up movies, New York history, Soul Train, cocaine, disco, late 70s fashion, The Last Dragon

Added a few more things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When she popped out of her apartment in that dress, I don't think I've ever said "godDAMN!" so loud.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Some of the music is incredible. And I have to admit I actually love disco. Some of the other music captures the feeling of hopelessness New Yorkers may have felt in that environment.

Anyway, I prefaced a lot of what I said with (so far) because apparently in later chapters/episodes it will explore the punk scene too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I wanna watch these six episodes again they were fly as hell

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Really enjoying this 3 episodes in. It's like a fun version of vinyl, also Jackie Moreno's Christopher Walken impression cracks me up.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My girlfriend loves Baz, and I dislike everything he's ever done except for this series. I love the blacksploitation vibe every episode has. I really enjoy the lore of the show as well if that makes any sense.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

It's a drat shame that "Strange Things" got so much hype, and this one slipped through the cracks in a big way. What a fantastic series so far. I love the style, the performances, the music, it just all works so well for me.
Got seriously hyped up during the final rap battle scene.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
This thread having this few posts is a goddamn crime.

One of the best shows I've watched all year. Better than Stranger, even if they aren't that comparable.

I thought it was funny that both this and OITNB had a scene set at an underground New York party were trans people were prominently featured. Not exactly a common set piece.

Loved the design of absolutely everything, but that's expected with Luhrmann. The clothing, the parties, the graffiti. Everything was amazing.

The whole feel of the city was great. The difference between the Bronx and Manhattan.

The juxtaposition gimmick worked well enough. The beginning of episode 5 switching between Moreno improvising and Zeke defending his was one of the best uses of it.

Seriously, more poeple need to see this.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This show is SO loving GOOD how are there only 12 posts in this thread??

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I liked the show but there isn't really much to talk about though. We've only been given half a season and there aren't really any big questions or mysteries to solve (aside from what happens to everyone in the future).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh, this was only half a season and not some sort of miniseries? That's cool. When can we expect Part 2?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe early next year. I'm hoping for Feb/March.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nachos posted:

This show is SO loving GOOD how are there only 12 posts in this thread??

I think it's because there really was no thread created for it pre-release to get people talking about it.

It's my opinion that threads for shows, especially streaming shows, need to be created well in advance of the premiere/episode dump to generate conversation and interest in the show.

Once you get a core of people talking about what they think might be cool, might suck, how terrible Jaden is- you now have enough people invested in these continuing conversations to keep it going. They'll argue back and forth about important or inconsequential poo poo, sure, but they'll be invested. The talk will keep the thread on the first page or so, and will draw in more eyeballs curious to see why a thread is growing in posts/views.

In the day or so before episodes are dumped, you'll have people return to the thread commenting on other conversations and getting hyped. That'll drive more posts.

So, I believe what sustains a thread with posts and views is- when it's finally released: you not only have conversations about things that have been discussed before, you have people talking about what's happening in the episodes- resulting and more posts. People will quote posts from months ago and things will be discussed as they compare to what people were expecting before.

By that time, you've got the base of a group of people who watch the show who can talk about it almost endlessly.

For us, here, it's hard to generate conversations because now we're dealing with about a 2 month gap between release date and any real discussion. At the time I started the thread, there were only singular posts spread across different forums, not just threads.

Anyway:

It's been really hard to parse what's going on with the series because of rumors about how bad the series has done in viewership, and the apparent confusion because part 2 is not season 2.

Best as I can tell, it is believed part 2 of season 1 will premiere early 2017- likely February but probably March.

Luhrmann was apparently quoted as saying that he's working on Season 2 already.

It is rumored that Season 2 will jump from the 70's to the 80's. Which, isn't that bad if you consider Season 1 is late 70's and might just end with disco dying in 1979.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 7, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So it's pretty obvious

that Mylene is Papa Fuerte's daughter after having an affair with Momma Meth, right? they're laying all the hints on thick with that one.

The big battle was pretty amazing. Really captured how amazing it would have been to see this art form evolve whole at some weird kickback underground rent party.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

The big battle was pretty amazing. Really captured how amazing it would have been to see this art form evolve whole at some weird kickback underground rent party.

It was amazing. I especially like the montage at the start of Episode 5.

I reaallly hope it was some Lurhmann creative license/Shaolin ninja magical realism type stuff when it comes to these "Killer Get Down" moments. Surely there wasn't some Supa Hot Fire Meme style crowd reaction to a loving 2 second drum beat that appears on some random record.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

that Mylene is Papa Fuerte's daughter after having an affair with Momma Meth, right? they're laying all the hints on thick with that one.

You mean between Fuerte and Lydia right? I think all the adults suspect it on some level but nobody wants to say anything about it.

Looten Plunder posted:

It was amazing. I especially like the montage at the start of Episode 5.

I reaallly hope it was some Lurhmann creative license/Shaolin ninja magical realism type stuff when it comes to these "Killer Get Down" moments. Surely there wasn't some Supa Hot Fire Meme style crowd reaction to a loving 2 second drum beat that appears on some random record.

I thought the whole thing was suppose to be just Zeke reminiscing about the past as he performs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kegslayer posted:

You mean between Fuerte and Lydia right? I think all the adults suspect it on some level but nobody wants to say anything about it.
yeah.
Reverend Meth knows about an affair of some kind, but I don't think he suspects Mylene is Fuerte's.

quote:

I thought the whole thing was suppose to be just Zeke reminiscing about the past as he performs.
Right. I suppose that explains the fantastical scenes. Though I do like them functioning as a kind of Holy poo poo this is out of this world level crap going down.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah it is, but I just hope people didn't actually act like that in reality and it was just creative licence/Zeke's rose coloured glasses.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Stranger Things is the huge success that it is because it was made for a white audience.

The Get Down is dope as all hell and the only reason it isn't a resounding hype train success is racism.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Reports are the costblowout for the show has hit $200m, from up ~120 or so. I guess Netflix is throwing money at the second half and hoping it sticks? Because in a way the show is a failure (in some peopels eyes) as we don't know how many apeople are actually watching it and Netflix will never tell, it is worrying that most people don't know about it or dismissed it because of the bad press regarding cost overruns and such.

That is $16m an episode, by the way, and they're still making it, it hasn't wrapped yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

drunkill posted:

dismissed it because of the bad press regarding cost overruns and such.

Pretty sure I avoided it because it looked jive as gently caress.

edit: Sarcasm aside, what i mean is that people aren't watching this for reasons way outside business acumen and that doesn't mean they are racist. A lot of people watching netflix are not american. Even still growing up in the 90s I listened to some hip-hop despite being white as gently caress and that made me interested in straight out of compton... but this is like a whole nother level deeper and I just don't give a gently caress. I think there has to be room for people to not be interested and that doesn't automatically make you racist.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 22, 2016

• Locked thread