Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any goons actually done standup and what was your experience. Thinking of taking my act on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ur life is a joke op hth

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I know Tramadol Junkie doesn't!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I do

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah, but I had to sit back down almost immediately, wheezing.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
what's the deal with all these threads?

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Taking your act on the road? I didn't know there was a market for traveling retard masturbators

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1335

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQgXugxS4E

GORSH EYMSTONED PRODUCTIONS

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Standup should be funny rather than serious, hope that helps.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I did standup before the crippling anxiety kicked in

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fine ballparking and brainwashing other people's standup but I don't really have ambitions to be on stage like that as I've juiced my eggos far too much already and someone else needs a turn. I think I'm @ the point where I probably require some kind of payment though just due to age experience and poverty factors.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

im literally the guy going eehhh

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Standup should be funny rather than serious, hope that helps.

ya

I used to think Amy Schumers show was okay occasionally until she did a full episode about guns being bad this season. I'll never watch it again, not because I have an opinion about guns, but because i prefer my comedy to be funny not preachy. If it was preachy and funny I could deal but it wasnt funny

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Goons don't standup because we're all diabetic and fat you see.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiDgn8ON9xg

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Zing!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
whatever happened to the goon who was obsessed with 'the wire' and was like in a wheelchair or something and posted about how he was the king of owning hecklers? he did a couple of open mics and the audience wouldn't let him finish a joke, just kept callin him a fatso wheelie creeptard gently caress and he was like "um, actually, YOUR MOTHER!" and then proudly posted about it. he ended up having a tremendous meltdown that was really fun to read, it involved true detective and stand-up iirc

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Funniest coworker I ever had tried his hand at it, it's one thing to be office cut up another to be funny to a large audience. At least he tried I suppose

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pat after 12 beers LOL

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Booblord Zagats posted:

lol

Gatekeeper posted:

whatever happened to the goon who was obsessed with 'the wire' and was like in a wheelchair or something and posted about how he was the king of owning hecklers? he did a couple of open mics and the audience wouldn't let him finish a joke, just kept callin him a fatso wheelie creeptard gently caress and he was like "um, actually, YOUR MOTHER!" and then proudly posted about it. he ended up having a tremendous meltdown that was really fun to read, it involved true detective and stand-up iirc
please someone know of this and link

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

JakeP posted:

ya

I used to think Amy Schumers show was okay occasionally until she did a full episode about guns being bad this season. I'll never watch it again, not because I have an opinion about guns, but because i prefer my comedy to be funny not preachy. If it was preachy and funny I could deal but it wasnt funny

Is she the ugly unfunny fat one with the tramp stamp or the ugly unfunny alcoholic one?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

two forty posted:

Is she the ugly unfunny fat one with the tramp stamp or the ugly unfunny alcoholic one?

yes

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Robin Williams was a goon and did standup comedy

tada

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

JakeP posted:

ya

that's what ruined South Park for me, started feeling real preachy

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BirryJoru posted:

Robin Williams was a goon and did standup comedy

tada

Oh he was a goon? Now I understand why he killed himself...

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

whoflungpoop posted:

lol

please someone know of this and link

he was the goon who claimed he was friends with the real life Walter white from breaking bad which was actually based on a true story, and he knew the recipe for the blue meth but he couldn't tell us lmfao

wanna say his name was escape artist? His av was the bowtie guy from the wire, I def remember that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That road is a dead end.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Gatekeeper posted:

he was the goon who claimed he was friends with the real life Walter white from breaking bad which was actually based on a true story, and he knew the recipe for the blue meth but he couldn't tell us lmfao

wanna say his name was escape artist? His av was the bowtie guy from the wire, I def remember that

lol that guy is a tv iv supa star too

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
To get on stage the first time all i had to do was send an email and show up on time. Getting back on stage is the greater challenge. It requires social aptitude I don't really have.
My first set was a little rough but entirely successful. I was too nervous to get things out smoothly and in the order i planned, but people laughed at what I wanted them too. For a first set it was great. A supposedly more experienced comic went on after and threw up in his mouth halfway through his set. Same guy that was welcoming but expected i would bomb.

To get on stage you're supposed to show up early, and frequently, wait your turn and hope the guy running the show notices you. It's real hard to tell if you're getting anywhere or just wasting your time. There's one severely goony guy at the comic's table every week, but never gets on stage. I fear being like him; perpetually ignored but not self aware enough realize it.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
They should call it roundtine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Too bad Aziz Ansari has a monopoly on talking about forums drama in his act

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Egbert Souse posted:

Too bad Aziz Ansari has a monopoly on talking about forums drama in his act

That's easy to get around, just pretend somebody called you a human being irl instead of on Twitter.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Let's here your 5, op.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Toriori posted:

that's what ruined South Park for me, started feeling real preachy
lol douche and turd sandwich *hundreds of thousands die*

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

LegoPirateNinja posted:

im literally the guy going eehhh

eehhh lol

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

canpakes posted:

Any goons actually done standup and what was your experience. Thinking of taking my act on the road.

Ugh! Standing up is overrated. I prefer to be unfunny while sitting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I told a joke involving pitchforks being shoved up someone's rear end and let me tell you the crowd was NOT happy!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I do standup serious, OP. It's a lot like standup comedy but instead of getting up on stage and telling jokes you get up on stage and just talk about serious topics like famine and drought and pestilence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i do slam poetry about pugs before a live audience which frankly is cooler and more good than standup, or at least i did when my dr prescribed me the klonopins 😵

• Locked thread