Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i had some sort of samsung galaxy for like 4 or 5 years it did the textng and foruming and phoning i needed and it was really resilient like I threw it on the floor a bunch of times and it would break open and the battery would come out but it would be fine, like one of those nokia phones but with worse battery life and the internet

now i got a htc its got a big screen and can do more stuff which is nice but Im not sure im any happier in my day to day life bec
ause of it

basically slavishly buying new consumer electronics every year is for nerds and people who hate the planet (ie not me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Eh I enjoy spending money on things I don't really need and my little section of the planet still seems tolerably habitable so gently caress it, why not?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
actually thats not entirely true ive downloaded tinder and met a german girl which i couldnt have done with my old phone

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ThaGrandCow posted:

It's almost as if you didn't go for a gimmick plan and actually just bought a phone and sold it at whichever interval you needed a new phone on craigslist or swappa (1/2/3 years), you might come out ahead.

If you want a new iPhone every year, either go the easy route and do the iPhone upgrade program through Apple itself, or deal with a contract with your cell phone company, OR JUST loving BUY ONE WITHOUT HAVING A COMPANY TAKE ON THE COST AND PROFIT. Yes, when I bought my last phone, it cost as much as a computer... good news everyone: I can sell it for that cost minus about $200. That's actually less every year than I'd pay under an upgrade program because I don't have a middleman subsidizing me and demanding a profit. Why do you idiots think you can get a flagship phone, either Android or Apple, and pay $100 or $200? You're taking credit out and the company that gives credit is going to want profit. That means that you personally pay more than the actual cost of the phone.

XMNN posted:

i had some sort of samsung galaxy for like 4 or 5 years it did the textng and foruming and phoning i needed and it was really resilient like I threw it on the floor a bunch of times and it would break open and the battery would come out but it would be fine, like one of those nokia phones but with worse battery life and the internet

now i got a htc its got a big screen and can do more stuff which is nice but Im not sure im any happier in my day to day life bec
ause of it

basically slavishly buying new consumer electronics every year is for nerds and people who hate the planet (ie not me)

there is no :jerkbag: big enough

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im sure there is have you tried looking harder

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
but seriously the enormous environmental impact of western lifestyles is no laughing matter and the insane demand for labour materials and energy required to support your disposable electronics habit on top of that is egregious and obscene

you fucker

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

but seriously the enormous environmental impact of western lifestyles is no laughing matter and the insane demand for labour materials and energy required to support your disposable electronics habit on top of that is egregious and obscene

you fucker

dat blue bubble tho

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
a fair point

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I buy a decent phone and then I use it until the updates inevitably make it run like rear end and then I buy another one. Typically this is every 2 years or so.

The only people I know who obsessively buy phones are either engineer nerds or people who are broke as hell and working some poo poo job and trying to look flashy. One of the engineer nerd people orders multiple phones from Amazon then returns the ones he doesn't like after his own personal evaluation because he's a massive shithead.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Boner Zone posted:

dat blue bubble tho

So that's why they always wanna go to texts, crafty

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Roylicious posted:

One of the engineer nerd people orders multiple phones from Amazon then returns the ones he doesn't like after his own personal evaluation because he's a massive shithead.

I know one of these people, he also bought a bunch of MBP peripherals (all Apple-made ofc) like a super-fancy dock and an expensive monitor he doesn't need, with his own money, and brought them in to work

He's one of those types of nerd that still lives in an Ikea-furnished college-student-level apartment, eats ramen, and spends his salary on gadgets (mostly Apple products) and a BMW. He did not buy the $10,000 gold Apple watch but talked a lot about how much he wanted it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

loquacius posted:

I know one of these people, he also bought a bunch of MBP peripherals (all Apple-made ofc) like a super-fancy dock and an expensive monitor he doesn't need, with his own money, and brought them in to work

He's one of those types of nerd that still lives in an Ikea-furnished college-student-level apartment, eats ramen, and spends his salary on gadgets (mostly Apple products) and a BMW. He did not buy the $10,000 gold Apple watch but talked a lot about how much he wanted it

Hahaha what a human being.

Please allow me to advertise to the rest of the world how hard I am pining for a gadget that costs $10,000 because it has some gold painted on the outside of it that despite that fact will be obsolete and totally worthless in two years, if that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2016

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Roylicious posted:

I buy a decent phone and then I use it until the updates inevitably make it run like rear end and then I buy another one. Typically this is every 2 years or so.

The only people I know who obsessively buy phones are either engineer nerds or people who are broke as hell and working some poo poo job and trying to look flashy. One of the engineer nerd people orders multiple phones from Amazon then returns the ones he doesn't like after his own personal evaluation because he's a massive shithead.

all of the IT geeks at my office receive a continuous stream of parcels containing gadgets, I don't get it, just keeping track of it all looks exhausting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you don't need to keep track of it because after a couple of hours it's just deprecated garbage

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

loquacius posted:

what is this persons approx. yearly income? just curious

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eames36 posted:

what is this persons approx. yearly income? just curious

High five digits, I'm guessing? Entry-level software engineers make enough to afford gadgets and fancy cars if you don't care about living somewhere cool (he did not)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Boner Zone posted:

dat blue bubble tho

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

wanna find this guy and give him all the medals, for bringing so much internet pic joy into my life :unsmith:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

lorn Wayne posted:

wanna find this guy and give him all the medals, for bringing so much internet pic joy into my life :unsmith:

Well his name is Mario Spinetti from New York. Good luck on your search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

loquacius posted:

High five digits, I'm guessing? Entry-level software engineers make enough to afford gadgets and fancy cars if you don't care about living somewhere cool (he did not)

Yeah that guy I mentioned that gets multiple phones shipped to him so he can pick his favorite one also spends tons on his car and other gadgets and otherwise lives in a relatively meh area of town (he bought a house there) and lives on Domino's and canned tuna from Costco...

$80k-90k/yr

I know another one that is a little bit less of a nerd stereotype but he also makes about $70-80k/yr and is perpetually 'broke' because he wastes all his money away on tech gadgets and drinking on the weekends. I'm talking like paycheck to paycheck stressed about paying the CC bill at the end of the month broke... although I'm pretty sure some of his income goes into a retirement account at least. Doesn't even live in a particularly nice part of town - in fact he just moved into some townhouse with 3 roommates.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 20, 2016

• Locked thread