Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

:siren: welcome to another art thread :siren:

This is a thread where you post tutorials you're following and the things you make from those tutorials. If you know something about art then post it here. This isn't just about drawing and painting on a flat surface - miniatures painting, writing, poetry, sculpture, and miscellaneous are all cherished here.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Picture wall (i'll update this eventually)

Chill la Chill:

FluffieDuckie:

gently caress. marry. t-rex:

Gross Dude:

Hogge Wild:

Macnult:

RazzleDazzleHour:

RedTonic:

SIB:

treasure bear:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 23, 2016

FluffieDuckie

great idea!

um, could you point us to some of these "tutorials" of which you speak?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
I refuse to believe that anyone is better than drawing stickmen than me!

<3 <3 Vanisher

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

FluffieDuckie posted:

great idea!

um, could you point us to some of these "tutorials" of which you speak?

well if you're into poetry this starts on September 12: https://www.coursera.org/learn/poetry-workshop

i'll be using the photoshop tutorials from Imagine FX which is a magazine i collect but barely read because it's mostly for bright young things and i'm surly, old and close-minded

here's a huge number of photoshop tutorials: http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/illustration/83-best-photoshop-tutorials/

good books:

The Complete Book of Drawing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Drawing-Barrington-Barber/dp/1848375360/ traditional drawing, really well laid-out, and not expensive.

Digital Art : A complete guide to making your own computer artworks : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Art-Complete-Computer-Artworks/dp/1848589751 lots of easy-to-follow and interesting tutorials for making all kinds of effects in photoshop

Creative Illustration https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Illustration-Andrew-Loomis/dp/1845769287 a book which pretty much off the bat says "don't gently caress around with this book until you can draw real good". I've heard it's the main illustration text but i'm not on its level yet. it mocks me from my bookshelf.

hi how are you ♥

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

actually if you're interested in something just google "how to x good" where x is whatever

hi how are you ♥

Macnult

Count me in

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
same, might take some time though

Android Blues

this sounds like an A++ idea and the last art thread really helped me improve so yeah im in

FluffieDuckie

yeah last time i learned that it's not that i CAN'T draw, it's just that i'm so beginner as to confuse people into thinking i can't draw

just image my skill level after this month :D

Piso Mojado

in

Piso Mojado

sib is there a good tutorial for animating drawings I sketch?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Piso Mojado posted:

sib is there a good tutorial for animating drawings I sketch?

it depends on what you have in mind but the adobe tutorials are solid:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-frame-animations.html

hi how are you ♥

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

yeah, ok

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
eh sure

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
in because i miss drawing and also i feel like i have to make up for not posting my beautiful coloring book trump head

FluffieDuckie

Ok I decided I wanted to learn to shade drawings. I first learned I was using the wrong pencil. I tore up the house and found the right kind of pencil. Then I kept reading and got a little teary eyed and walked away

Tomorrow I pick another topic

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

FluffieDuckie posted:

Ok I decided I wanted to learn to shade drawings. I first learned I was using the wrong pencil. I tore up the house and found the right kind of pencil. Then I kept reading and got a little teary eyed and walked away

Tomorrow I pick another topic

i think you would like watercolors

FluffieDuckie

Is that like paint by numbers because I think I'm qualified for that

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i think you would like watercolors

Why do people think watercolors are easy to use? They're probably the hardest method of painting other than encaustic or fresco.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Why do people think watercolors are easy to use? They're probably the hardest method of painting other than encaustic or fresco.

i don't think they're easy, i think they're enjoyable

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I've been painting miniatures again so I'll join in.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Chill la Chill posted:

I've been painting miniatures again so I'll join in.

grood, grood

welp here's my first entry. It's very early but I don't think I'll find time in the next couple of days so here it is.

The Tutorial: "How to Paint a Manga Figure on the Go" from this month's Imagine FX magazine.

It's mostly about how to apply color changes on the fly and adjust the pose to requirements but since I know bugger all about manga, coloring things and so on I tried to follow every step in the tutorial to make something like the image on the cover. I don't like manga or drawing twelve year old titgirls so I didn't copy the picture exactly but I yanked the composition because I thought it'd be funny.

The most useful stuff for me was creating a shading layer and then blending in color over the top. I don't usually do that but it's a hell of a lot better than what I usually do, so I'll be doing it from now on.

Anyway here's what I came up with, constrained as I am with time limits and a lack of abilities:

and here's the main steps in the process:

E: forgot the lens blur step at the end

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 11, 2016

hi how are you ♥

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
That's super hott

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

grood, grood

welp here's my first entry. It's very early but I don't think I'll find time in the next couple of days so here it is.

The Tutorial: "How to Paint a Manga Figure on the Go" from this month's Imagine FX magazine.

It's mostly about how to apply color changes on the fly and adjust the pose to requirements but since I know bugger all about manga, coloring things and so on I tried to follow every step in the tutorial to make something like the image on the cover. I don't like manga or drawing twelve year old titgirls so I didn't copy the picture exactly but I yanked the composition because I thought it'd be funny.

The most useful stuff for me was creating a shading layer and then blending in color over the top. I don't usually do that but it's a hell of a lot better than what I usually do, so I'll be doing it from now on.

Anyway here's what I came up with, constrained as I am with time limits and a lack of abilities:

thats amazing SIB

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

FluffieDuckie

ok undeterred from my first failed shading effort, i googled "simple shading tutorial for children" and came up with this one

http://www.toadhollowstudio.com/wp_blog/shade-a-ball/

which still didn't look like a child could do it but whatever

my goal was to shade this thing

but first she explained how to hold the pencil and how to shade light to dark. after a few efforts i finally got the point

then the hard part started. first i had to draw an outline of that fucker which i kind of did but i was so frustrated that i forgot to take a picture.

but after i did whatever step it was to lightly shade the whole ball and then try to leave a lighter highlight i remembered why i was doing this and i took a picture

then i took this one after i thought i might be complete with the ball

and then holy hell i tried to do the shadow and that's where everything went to hell

all told that thing took like an hour and i hated every minute of it

so i've decided the kind of drawing i like is cartoon drawing so i'm going to look for a "easy tutorial for making stick figures for children" for my next assignment

treasure bear

smudge it with your finger to make a smoother gradient

treasure bear

let me smudge it

FluffieDuckie

it's kind of in the trash

FluffieDuckie

the tuturial didn't say anything about smudging. are you just making that up?

FluffieDuckie

oh that looks hella better

i'm still moving onto stick figures

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 11, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

its good, drawing a circle in a reasonable time is a huge pain in the rear end until you get used to doing it

you can also use an eraser to make the light and surrounding area brighter

i'll use the eraser and smudge it if you're just making excuses to throw treasure bear off the trail and haven't really binned it

hi how are you ♥

FluffieDuckie

i dug it out of the trash just to see if he was making GBS threads me

treasure bear

i did my own so i could smudge it

FluffieDuckie

:cripes:

fuck. marry. t-rex

Rude bear

treasure bear

duckie didnt believe me so i made one :(

sorry

fuck. marry. t-rex

I wanted to participate earlier but I'm really bad at self guidance for stuff so I'm copying you. Ty for the inspiration muse duckie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

grood, grood

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread