Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all, I have recently started thrifting to buy things to resell on Amazon and have came across something mine blowing today. There is not only people using Personal Information Organizers, but they are apparently in high demand! Who are these people and why don't they just get an Iphone?

I know you're probably thinking, "Well it's because these pieces of dinosaur technology must be significantly cheaper than an Iphone."

Well my friends, it's not... this one that I picked up at Goodwill for $3, should sell for ~$200 in less than a month :p.

The lighting is hiding a key feature of this device. It supports up to 3 megabytes of memory! Wow!

Also, I wish someone would have told me 15 years ago that floppy discs would be a HOT item in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i wear one on my belt next to my beeper

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have sex with them. obsolete technology fetishists are insatiable.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

they have sex with them. obsolete technology fetishists are insatiable.

slot yer credstick, chummer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah nobodys using these. autist engineer types finally get that 160k job and finalize their Dymo or Palm museum or whatever

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
sorta like those planner things you see in the office supply section of target. The little spiral-bound day planner thing that have a page for every day/week of the year. You know, that thing that every cell phone does now.

Serious guess: People who began their professional career in the 80's and then refused to learn anything new about technology. There's quite a few jobs out there that let you be a complete luddite

Lurks Morington fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 10, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They're used by terrorists and criminals who don't want their activities discovered online

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
mostly replaced with the calendar, reminder, contact functions in iPhones. Maybe a few apps here and there but mostly built in

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I mostly go with the method of just forgetting stuff. If it's important sometimes I'd write it on my hand with a pen and then forget I did that and wash it off.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
You should go get your 3 cum stained bills back

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hey all, I have recently started thrifting to buy things to resell on Amazon

gently caress im sorry

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jackyl posted:

gently caress im sorry

I'm not, it's a pretty easy way to earn some extra cash.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I bet that thing doesn't spontaneously explode, does it have a headphone jack though?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
doesn't "thrifting" mean "going to garage sales"?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jackyl posted:

doesn't "thrifting" mean "going to garage sales"?

Maybe, I assumed it would mean going to actual thrift stores though :confused:.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
we had a garage sale once and then realized that we could give it all to goodwill and write it off for over three times what we could sell it for and also not have to deal with garage sale weirdos so that was an epiphany and was nice

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
and yeah the write off doesn't work exact because it changes gross income but it's still much better than dealing with garage sale fuckos

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jackyl posted:

and yeah the write off doesn't work exact because it changes gross income but it's still much better than dealing with garage sale fuckos

After going to lots of Goodwills and thrift stores the last few months, I like people that are lazy and just donate their stuff. Always can find a few items that I can just stick in a box and send to an Amazon warehouse to sell for profit :).

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
off topic but what does writing off do? who is the one writing off? what is it getting written off of?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

off topic but what does writing off do? who is the one writing off? what is it getting written off of?

also what are taxes and why do i have to pay them. can't the government just print their own drat money to pay for all their bullshit???

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Organised people?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

personally i'd like to organize your upper and lower jaw over my turgid cock

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm gonna go with "assholes" op.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
nah i just use my brain for that

and what the brain cant handle my Casio F-91W can

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

One day you'll buy what you think is a perfectly good, latest gen mobile phone. Then you'll see some kid laughing at you and realise that nobody uses mobile phones anymore and you've aged into the overpriced antiquated tech for old people market.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I've seen quite a few women in their 30's have discussions about which "planners" to use. They're using those little binders with dividers and pre-printed pages for phone book, calendar, etc.

Whenever I point out that that's insane and that their iphone already does that stuff, they always say "I can't figure it out / that's too difficult / it never works right / this is easier." I do not understand it at all. If you're 50+, I will give you a pass, but if you own and use a smartphone for other everyday things, it doesn't make sense.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i still like to write reminders to myself on my hand with pink and blue magic marker, it is both cute and very effective

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why don't you get a real job instead of scalping thrift stores

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Moridin920 posted:

why don't you get a real job instead of scalping thrift stores

I have a real job.

That being said, while I am still new at it, I am working to moving towards selling on Amazon as a business and something to eventually do as my job.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like to keep reminders and to-do lists on paper, and often just the act of writing something down is enough to make me remember it. The only stuff I use my phone for is for events that will happen so far in the future that I want to set an automated reminder for (anything more than two days from the present, really).

Like someone else already said, the market for those old electronic organizers is probably collectors.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I have a real job.

That being said, while I am still new at it, I am working to moving towards selling on Amazon as a business and something to eventually do as my job.

can I be you're protege because being drunk at a Goodwill at 11am is kind of regular thing for me already

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Iron Prince posted:

can I be you're protege because being drunk at a Goodwill at 11am is kind of regular thing for me already

It's easy go to Goodwill and try to find the items that they didn't already price at retail.

Then you just resell the item.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Are you organized yet?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hey all, I have recently started thrifting to buy things to resell on Amazon and have came across something mine blowing today. There is not only people using Personal Information Organizers, but they are apparently in high demand! Who are these people and why don't they just get an Iphone?

I know you're probably thinking, "Well it's because these pieces of dinosaur technology must be significantly cheaper than an Iphone."

Well my friends, it's not... this one that I picked up at Goodwill for $3, should sell for ~$200 in less than a month :p.

The lighting is hiding a key feature of this device. It supports up to 3 megabytes of memory! Wow!

Also, I wish someone would have told me 15 years ago that floppy discs would be a HOT item in 2016.

I used to carry that exact model years ago. It was my third organizer. It's in a box out in my garage, along with the two earlier models and the several more that came later. I loved those damned things.

I paid a hell of a lot more than $2.99 for it, that's for sure.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I have a real job.

smart idea I recently did something similar because if you have a day job they might notice when you don't come in to work one day next thing you know an emt is opening the garage door and lettin all your carbon monoxide out

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

MiracleWhale posted:

smart idea I recently did something similar because if you have a day job they might notice when you don't come in to work one day next thing you know an emt is opening the garage door and lettin all your carbon monoxide out

ugh, obamacare

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's easy go to Goodwill and try to find the items that they didn't already price at retail.

Then you just resell the item.

serious post tho:

how does the amazon reselling thing work? you mentioned earlier about sending stuff to an amazon warehouse. do you send it out to them and they handle all the shipping and poo poo after you made a listing for it?

i figured it worked more like ebay where you just set a fixed price, then its on you to send that poo poo out in timely manner or risk the hammer coming down.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Iron Prince posted:

serious post tho:

how does the amazon reselling thing work? you mentioned earlier about sending stuff to an amazon warehouse. do you send it out to them and they handle all the shipping and poo poo after you made a listing for it?

i figured it worked more like ebay where you just set a fixed price, then its on you to send that poo poo out in timely manner or risk the hammer coming down.

You can do it like Ebay where you ship it out. However, you can do it by "Fulfilled by Amazon" and just throw a bunch of poo poo into a box (there is a few steps to this with labeling) and send it to whatever warehouse/s Amazon tells you too. You still set you sell price but Amazon will take care of selling and shipping to the customer. Your stuff also qualifies for Prime shipping this way. They charge a fee for this, however you can get a nice discount on shipping to their warehouse. So the fee is only a few bucks more than what you'd pay selling through Ebay.

There is some brand restrictions on items that you can sell through Amazon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Mariana Horchata posted:

i still like to write reminders to myself on my hand with pink and blue magic marker, it is both cute and very effective

:kimchi: yes it is

• Locked thread