Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

That will look bad, flipping around cartoons always exposes the slant lines you don't notice at first.

Suck my dick, you fuckman
                    /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it's an improvement from the breakable mason jars with straw lids idiots have been carrying around everywhere for the last few years.

i bought a souveneir mason jar for $10 and it was made of plastic despite being filed with booze and honestly it wasnt worth ten dollars

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Suck my dick, you fuckman
                    /

Yea look at his eyes, look how oblong and weird they look now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

thathonkey posted:

is it true big green eggs have a bunch of weird accessories you feel compelled to buy like it is a whole lifestyle or some poo poo

Yes. Like if you want a flat table surface next to the BGE, like every other grill on earth has, that's a separate purchase. Or if you want wheels on the bottom for rolling around your deck, like every other grill on earth has, that's a special accessory.

Or like a smart person you can buy the better-designed steel version made by other companies for like 1/3 of the price.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, my $7 ones sorta do, but they scratch if someone uses strong language around them. My $25 ones are better, but scratched when I put them in the same pocket as my phone My $100 Costas can survive such awful treatment and they def are far far clearer and brighter then the other two.

I have to say, I've been buying cheapie sunglasses for years and they never lasted very long. The last straw was when I bought a $20 pair at Target and the coating was damaged within 24 hours. I went out and bought a $200 set of polarized Aviators and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm still not convinced they're worth 200 bucks, but the quality is so much higher than the $20 cheapies that they are certainly going to pay for themselves within a year or so. Cheap sunglasses are really a false economy if you're somebody that wears sunglasses on a regular basis.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i do not understand wanting something so cold it would only be useful in science, but all the sales being at field and stream instead

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

I have to say, I've been buying cheapie sunglasses for years and they never lasted very long. The last straw was when I bought a $20 pair at Target and the coating was damaged within 24 hours. I went out and bought a $200 set of polarized Aviators and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm still not convinced they're worth 200 bucks, but the quality is so much higher than the $20 cheapies that they are certainly going to pay for themselves within a year or so. Cheap sunglasses are really a false economy if you're somebody that wears sunglasses on a regular basis.

Preach. I wear regular glasses and I ponied up and bought prescription polarized sunglasses and they rule. Glasses.com is a good place to buy from. They are owned by Luxottica, the parent company of Ray Ban, Lenscrafters, etc. so the poo poo is a-ok and the prices are decent.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
how do these rednecks afford this poo poo if they are all poor?

or are these the fake rednecks like the duck dynasty people?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

fits my needs posted:

i live in an area that has forced me to become very familiar with this trend: there are more people left in america who buy the hunter/redneck/country identity than who actually live it

i remember trying a dating site with the search range set to 10 miles and realizing that while maybe 1 in 5 women mention something about bud light, fishing, hunting, and muddin'

almost every single one of these women i messaged would explain 'oh i don't have my own rod my brother took me fishing and let me get a picture with a fish'

or if you ask what gun they took a deer with they're excited that you are open to hunting, but then instantly have to explain 'idk whatev gun my dad has'

it's a creepy identity crisis like everything else is in america, you buy american flag and camo stuff printed in china at walmart so that you can feel like you are part of nature without actually learning about nature

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

notZaar posted:

Yea look at his eyes, look how oblong and weird they look now.

I can't unsee that poo poo on your normal av now!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
If you're looking for girls who hunt, you might just be better of with a dude

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

heb kodi cooler 'knock off' yeti is $247 lmao

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

Yes. Like if you want a flat table surface next to the BGE, like every other grill on earth has, that's a separate purchase. Or if you want wheels on the bottom for rolling around your deck, like every other grill on earth has, that's a special accessory.

Yeah, those are good ones. Two lovely little table things that attach to it are $120, and the "Nest" to sit it in with wheels on it is like $220+, and it's basically a mandatory purchase unless you feel like grilling while sitting cross legged on the ground in front of it, or buying/building a wood thing to put it in. I think new ones actually come with the nest and wheels now, but maybe they didn't used to? I can't remember for sure.

I also like the "platesetter", without which you just bought a lovely grill (i.e. you can't smoke or bake with it) and costs 120 bucks or something.

quote:

Or like a smart person you can buy the better-designed steel version made by other companies for like 1/3 of the price.

Some of these are better designed in some ways, some are just basically cheap steel eggs without any real extra engineering put into them (I'd probably put the Akorn in the latter category). There is something to be said for the ceramics though. One is that unless you're a retard and tip the thing over, a ceramic will last literally forever. Worst you'd have to do is replace the metal bits every 20 years or something. The other is that all that ceramic mass does make a difference in maintaining even temps.

I like the Primo Oval ones. They're still expensive as hell and I think they still nickel and dime you on a lot of stuff, but they're basically an egg + better engineering - extra markup "because it's the original BGE!"

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The Yeti 420 is about the same size, weight, and price of a full size refrigerator but it's a cooler lol

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Financed cooler for my Miller Light

Backed into a shopping cart thanks to my giant salt life sticker

Live
Laugh
Love

Keep Honking, My Honor Student is Reloading My Diaper, Bitch!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
big green eggs own

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I like my akorn BGE copy. It was discounted too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If I had a deck to build it into I would buy an egg, but for my hillbilly yard parties I am eyeing this $1700 smoker/grill made from like 5/16" rolled steel pipe. It's thick enough that I can just weld it up if somehow it breaks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

fits my needs posted:

Yeah you know that stereotype that has traditionally been laid on black people, bending over to have the expensive brand name shoes and clothes despite being poor? White people do it too. I know, weird right? :shrug:

The relatives of mine that buy this poo poo literally forego emergency medical attention so they can have dumb poo poo like this.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 10, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
And I mean literally literally, not internet literally, bleeding head wound unconsciousness = walk it off we got $50 insulated metal cups to buy

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

bongwizzard posted:

If I had a deck to build it into I would buy an egg, but for my hillbilly yard parties I am eyeing this $1700 smoker/grill made from like 5/16" rolled steel pipe. It's thick enough that I can just weld it up if somehow it breaks.

that could be cool, I had an offset smoker for years and liked it, this thing u are talking about is probably shittons better

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flesh Forge posted:

And I mean literally literally, not internet literally, bleeding head wound unconsciousness = walk it off we got $50 insulated metal cups to buy

lol

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

revmoo posted:

The Sam Vimes theory of socioeconomic unfairness

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
You can buy $40 chinese yeti clones on aliexpress and sell them to all day long to morons for quite a handsome profit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like the green coleman stuff b/c it reminds me of suburban white family camping which is my history

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Jonny 290 posted:

i like the green coleman stuff b/c it reminds me of suburban white family camping which is my history

I troll yard sales for metal Coleman coolers, clean them up, and give them to friends to use as babbys first cigar humidor.

Risky
May 18, 2003

MullardEL34 posted:

You can buy $40 chinese yeti clones on aliexpress and sell them to all day long to morons for quite a handsome profit.

And by clones you mean legit ones without the markup since they are made in China as is?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what's wrong with plastic coolers that you cram with ice packs? people are dumb as hell

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, my $7 ones sorta do, but they scratch if someone uses strong language around them. My $25 ones are better, but scratched when I put them in the same pocket as my phone My $100 Costas can survive such awful treatment and they def are far far clearer and brighter then the other two.

this man.
coastas are not bullshit.
Of you spend a good amount of time outdoors a good pair of sunglasses is a must. I pretty much can't drive in the summer with out them.
They are incredibly durable, and unbelievably clear. And they stand behind their warranty.

Yeti coolers have a very specific use case. Like fishing or camping for a week at a time. Ive seen them at the store, they seem very durable and well made. they also have like a 10 year warranty. so I can see why they are desirable for these things.
But lol if you spend $400 for a beer cooler for day drinking at Clem's. It's stupid smart that yeti has transformed themselves into a redneck lifestyle brand. Brilliant marketing.

King of Bees posted:

I like my akorn BGE copy. It was discounted too.
Same. The akorn is sweet.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I've built quite an empire form reselling chinese clone coolers

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fits my needs posted:

the latter

blacks and mexicans are moving into the suburbs so white people who don't want to live in cities move out to the sticks and pretend to be rednecks

legit rednecks just use those $2 styrofoam coolers you get at the gas station or family dollar

if you want to keep your poo poo colder, that's what duct taping the lid is for

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I was very confused about how being bear-proof is a selling point on a big, heavy cooler that you have to be transporting by car anyways, but then I googled and saw you aren't allowed to keep a normal cooler in the trunk of your car anymore. I went to yellowstone a long time ago, that used to be ok. Either bears have gotten better at opening cars, or lovely modern cars are less bear proof than they used to be.

We got a ticket for leaving out a bottle of liquid dish soap.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Klyith posted:

I was very confused about how being bear-proof is a selling point on a big, heavy cooler that you have to be transporting by car anyways, but then I googled and saw you aren't allowed to keep a normal cooler in the trunk of your car anymore. I went to yellowstone a long time ago, that used to be ok. Either bears have gotten better at opening cars, or lovely modern cars are less bear proof than they used to be.

We got a ticket for leaving out a bottle of liquid dish soap.

Yogi bear changed the playing field

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Risky posted:

And by clones you mean legit ones without the markup since they are made in China as is?

Actually some are made in the Philippines and some are US made. The funny thing is they came out US made, then they supposedly had to start "temporary" additional production in the Philippines, supposedly because of demand, and now they still make a lot of them there. There used to be a hotline you could call if you want a US made one. The zip up bag ones are made in China though.

Klyith posted:

Either bears have gotten better at opening cars, or lovely modern cars are less bear proof than they used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlVmqatF8I

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
As a cooler power user and or prosumer, the country of origin is very important to me

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I hear the inferior Chinese styrofoam doesn't have what it takes to chill my America Beers cold enough so I can pretend not to taste the corn and rice

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Jonny 290 posted:

also a solid tactic

what if you combine regular ice and a little bit of dry? is that a good combo or does it end up being no bueno

H2O ice reacts explosively with CO2 dry ice which is why you have the piece of cardboard separating them

naem
May 29, 2011

William F Cuckley posted:

the latter

blacks and mexicans are moving into the suburbs so white people who don't want to live in cities move out to the sticks and pretend to be rednecks

legit rednecks just use those $2 styrofoam coolers you get at the gas station or family dollar

if you want to keep your poo poo colder, that's what duct taping the lid is for

I've been thinking about this and, while racial tensions are a real thing and an issue we are all facing, I think class divisions and lack of upward mobility are the real issue.

Americans used to pretend "anyone can make it big" and "we are all temporarily embarrassed millionaires." We don't DO that anymore. You either "have money" or you don't.

So with no hope of improving your lot in life, you instead look backward and say "I'm a redneck haha" And then go look up what a redneck is on Google. Then act "proud." Then go buy a $60,000 truck the size of a small house.

And then (because all your neighbors are also unsuccessful middle class people pretending to be rednecks and of course you have to keep up with them) you buy a $400 dollar cooler to put in your ridiculous truck because middle class "keeping up with the joneses" is second nature to you and like you're already pretending to be a redneck, you'd better be a successful one dammit, NOT an unsuccessful middle class person, noooo no heh heh he oh god um, DIP! BREWS! COOLER! TRUCK! I CHOSE THIS! I CHOSE ALL THIS!! I CONTROL MY DESTINY!! ME!!!

*awkwardly puts plug of chewing tobacco into lip attempting not to gag onto $150 designer jeans*

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
We all gotta live up to our stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

People on the low end of wealthy do this too, where they dress and act as if they are just "normal" middle class people.

It's like when presidential candidates put on a hard hat and a fresh out of the package flannel work shirt, only its rich people acting upper middle class.

I knew a lot of pretty well off independently wealthy people as a kid in the Midwest who put on workboots and jeans with creases ironed in and go hang out with mere upper middle class people with "jobs" who "work." Some of them did some kind of charity/nonprofit type thing 2 days a week so they could talk about "going to the office yep, I'm a real life human who performs labor" only like, they owned it.

They tended to be people who I'm guessing got picked on by bigger, meaner, richer rich people and decided to slum it among the plebes.

Their kids my age tended to be hilarious and couldn't roll their eyes hard enough and tended to total the $60,000 dollar pickup truck their parents bought them because they were embarrassed to be seen in it.

Also there were always tells for wealth like, $700 dollar plates of cheese catered just to look at anytime people came over and the house looked average from the street but they added on several wings all made of glass/marble, and a nanny/personal chef/gardener "oh they're not live in, why Sonia only comes twice a week, we're just normal average folks like you heh heh" **glances around nervously**

Also lower middle class people pretending to be upper middle class would often befriend these rich and they'd feed off each other, gleaning inaccurate cultural norms in a weird inbred subculture.

Which I think my be where this faux-redneck thing started too now that I think about it

• Locked thread