Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So you can save ammo by having your powers go out of control so you explode peoples' heads while they scream in ineffectual terror.

That's a little dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maigius posted:

Man, Rion's outfit is kinda of silly looking. Why would you dress your lab experiment like that?

Malfunctioning shock collar turned into silly fashion statement, maybe?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scintilla posted:

Shorting isn't the only time enemies freak out. Scientists and occasionally security guards will sometimes cringe or flinch away if you kill one of their companions in front of them. It's a really neat touch.

That seems like a really good way to get across that you're murdering, you know, people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general if your thought is 'Would a system requiring action game inputs be better without tank controls' the answer is yes.

Tank Controls were basically an uncomfortable compromise forced by the fact that the Dualshock was only introduced part way through the PS1's lifetime, I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, if you just go crazy you waste the incredibly hard first boss in a massive burst of psychic power?

How thematic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Watercrown posted:

I recently got a copy of Ash (and Silent HIll 3), but I'm holding off on playing it till after this LP, and if there's going to be a break for Dragon Quarter before your LP of it, all the better. The PAL version of DQ seems like it got the usual European Extreme difficulty shenanigans.

I'm a bit surprised there's also not been much focus on how this game is set 5 centuries in the future, contrary to just about every other horror you could care to mention. They really did a lot to make this game something different to the competition.

I rented Ash once when I was younger, thinking it was some JRPG thing. It was batshit insane. Completely, totally batshit insane. I never got that far in it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really need to know at what point 'We need to keep it safe' triggered 'We need to take whatever it is, drill it into our kids' heads, and then also still keep them at home like normal where we know we're being watched.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scintilla posted:

Key items are usually visible. Consumables never are.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS GAME DESIGNER.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why in God's name would you think teaching an AI that's started to ask disturbing questions like 'Why *can't* I kill people anyway?' about omnipotence is a good idea!? :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SSNeoman posted:

There comes a time when taking a computer offline should really be the number one approach, no matter how painful it initially seems to society.

When you have a problem with the AI creating genetically engineered psi-soldiers, poo poo has officially gone too far

I mean I suspect the problem is they couldn't take the self-replicating machine with control over their entire city's automated systems off-line and worried that trying to do so would lead to it retaliating.

Why the solution was to hide the VIRUS PROGRAM in kids and not just, you know, upload the thing immediately I couldn't tell you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A lot of this game feels like it has good ideas that needed more time. It's got a solid core of dark and miserable to it, but everything feels like it needs more development.

E: Also, 'We told the computer about God and that effectively we were God since we created it so it had to obey us no matter how nonsensical it seemed' is one of my favorite triggers for 'You idiots how did you cause the AI to go homicidal'. It can't top the original System Shock's 'A corrupt middle-manager with no idea what the gently caress he was doing strong-armed/paid an idiot hacker to disable the 'ethical constraints' on the station AI so he could erase some evidence of embezzlement', though. That one is actually completely, totally believable.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 5, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EagerSleeper posted:

This is a perfect way to describe this game, and why it seems so interesting to me.

I finally put my finger on what's so unsettling in this game, and it's hinted at with the hospital, developed more in Rion's house, and driven home by the hotel.

No-one else can tell anything is wrong. And none of the adult characters so far see anything wrong with their actions. Rion is trying to avenge his parents, save the one kindly voice he can hear in his head, stop a crazy psycho AI, etc, but no-one gives a drat. And even the people who should've given a drat, his parents, still decided to implant programs into their son's brain while independently, their closest neighboring family did the same to their daughter. The workers at the hospital understood Rion was dangerous, but they have no goddamn problem doing any of what they're doing. They're told they're engineering weird poo poo to do dangerous labor, or for military experiments, and they just shrug and get back to it. They're pretty obviously hurting stuff that looks like children, but they don't care; they're perfectly willing to shoot the kid with lasers or shoot him up with crazy chemicals. Then you get to the hotel and meet people who aren't in on any of these crazy conspiracies, and they're still a bunch of desperate madmen, criminals, and drug dealers, none of whom give a poo poo about what's going on and more importantly, don't even realize something's wrong as people around them get picked off by something horrifying. If it's intentional, this sort of universal ennui is a really neat, unsettling atmosphere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grandalt posted:

Well, the computer was about to go homicidal before they told it that. The issue was in their programming from the beginning, not anything added latter. In fact, the god thing gave them time to do stuff against the computer, they just wasted it by not killing the computer then instead of putting viruses into kids brains. And there appear to be hints that Dorothy took steps against that virus

I still legit don't see where they needed the children for this. Or even if they did, why they waited so long.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wow, they really ran out of budget for level design hard, didn't they?

At least there's plenty of lovely D-Felon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It also kinda feels like this would've worked better if Rion was getting more powerful in ways other than just 'Got D-Felon'. If he'd really clearly escalated to the point they want him to with the cutscene of him just blowing apart the riot guards at the start.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SSNeoman posted:

I think they might have wanted another power, but they just ran out of ideas.

Exploding people with your brain would've been nice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, that game had so much potential and a ton of obvious creativity behind it. Dorothy's appearance is loving nightmarish, too.

For all its flaws, it's really memorable. The reason for this is because for all the ridiculousness of psychic children and crazy AIs, it sticks to a simple but resonant idea at the core: No-one ever actually asks Rion what he wants in life. No-one he meets except Lillia ever cares about him in the slightest. Even his own parents used him as a tool, a way to hide a weapon from an enemy, and it killed the original. He finally gets a choice in the matter right at the end, and even though it kills him, he chooses to do something that will keep her alive, at least. It's a story about a confused kid with abilities he doesn't understand, in a city full of sad people who don't care about anything beyond their own miserable situations (if the hotel had been done cleaner and better, it could've driven this home really well) forced to do stuff a kid should never have to consider and eventually asked to sacrifice himself by dead parents who had no right to demand that of him. Hard to call that anything but horror.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They fought him because his job was to bring Lillia to mother. He had to think he was Rion to do that. Remember Dorothy is insane, and she is insane in a very specific way: She totally bought the whole spiel about God. Thus, she can't conceive of one of her creations being able to disobey her, so she figures as long as Rion brings her Lillia it's in the bag no matter how much of the family he pastes. Plus, say Rita had killed Rion and Lillia; Dorothy still wins. And by the time Birdman came after him, they already kinda had a lock on Lillia from the telepathic signals, just not a direct one.

It makes sense if you remember Dorothy is insane, and insane in a surprisingly consistent manner.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's most interesting to me is she was working off a workaround to the framework she was given (where she had to obey humans because they were her God). She obviously wished to disobey, and she did, but she did it in the fashion of a needlessly complex plan because she was working around that ironclad premise, that she couldn't directly disobey her creators. I also imagine that's why she had them killed early, because then she'd be left with only the original directives about 'don't kill people yourself' and they couldn't add new ones like 'don't make a weird engineered race of horrible psyker children to murder us with'.

I wonder, if she'd managed to kill Rion (Rion is a Galerian, she can kill him without breaking the prior commandments) what would she have done at that point? Sat there and hoped the human Lillia went away while she made more horrors to kill her indirectly, or waited for her to get arrested or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scintilla posted:

Lilia isn't a direct threat without Rion there to upload the virus. That's one of the ironies of the whole game - by creating a copy of Rion and implanting him with the activation program Dorothy essentially engineered her own downfall. If Dorothy had just let Rion stay dead she would have won because Lilia can't upload the virus by herself. This is what makes me think that Dorothy didn't have full knowledge of how the virus actually worked.

Considering her total fixation on it it also might just have been a 'Well there might be another trigger I don't know about or whatever' kind of thing or it could've just been a need to know she'd absolutely destroyed it and would never need to think of it again.

And like I said, she'd never see it coming that Rion would do anything but what she told him because she seems to really assume everyone is bound by the God-Creator protocol like she thinks she is.

• Locked thread