Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have cut myself before so I think personally I am okay to write about red. It just pisses me off when you get people doing stupid poo poo like blue or green. They haven't experienced blue! They haven't experienced green! So presumptuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

How could a writer's 2-week half-assed research capture a person of color's life experience?

How could a white painter ever do a portrait of anyone but himself, idk, seems impossible to me Billy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The key is to not have any gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality or religious affiliation described to a character in a book.

It makes it easier to adapt it for the big screen.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

people who work at Pantone are shocked to hear this, as it is their whole job.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

quote:

Do a better job of having women in minority representation in fiction!

Ok, I guess that's reasona-

quote:

Don't write women or minority characters if you aren't a woman or a minority!

Uh- *chops off own hands*

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The correct thing to do is write about them, but don't have your book become popular or make too much money because really I think that money should go to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I guess the only comfort I can glean from this article is that people who believe writers should be free to write whatever they want and that the concept of "cultural appropriation" is stupid horseshit for idiots, are given keynote speaker positions at the Brisbane Writers festival while women like whatsername are relegated to lovely online articles.

For now.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

if a piece of fiction I write can make a woman of color so mad she pisses herself, well, that's p hot imo

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

gigawhite posted:

It's important to me that white people don't do things that they enjoy so my crappy books and short stories about talking animals who fight crime with an 80's attitude can get published

You're a talking animal who fights crime with an 80's attitude?

Whoa!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The comments on that piece are destroying the writer.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

opus111 posted:

The comments on that piece are destroying the writer.

Luckily America is a free country. And by that I mean the website owner is free to delete individual comments, and then disable the comment section as a whole once someone writes "they're censoring the top voted comments!"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Man, the future should be cool but instead it's lovely and gay.

Happy 9/11 day

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Hmmm, so if my story doesn't contain diversity, that's a racism. But if I do include diverse characters, that's also a racism. White people, very bad indeed.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

RedMage129 posted:

Hmmm, so if my story doesn't contain diversity, that's a racism. But if I do include diverse characters, that's also a racism. White people, very bad indeed.

it's the basis for the famous zen koan "what is the sound of a white male being an ally"

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the article reads more like if "if you dont engage me in a discussion of whether or not you should be pilloried you are de facto the horrible monster i make you out to be" which is less crazy and just as crazy at the same time

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
black people lmao

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
about colour

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Which form do I fill out to request permission to use an experience other than my own in a work of fiction?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arkanomen posted:

People should write about whatever the gently caress they want because nothing on this dirtball loving matters and if you get pissy about what other people do that doesn't affect you maybe you should thing about your own meaningless short life and how to spend it better.

Sage wisdom.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
once upon a time there was a person who sucked at life and they blamed another race that they deemed as "too privileged" for all their failures

that person was adolf hitler

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im gaye slaying thread imo

Just gonna sit back and let him do it, whitely

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
most people don't know that hitler was black, but he was, just like rachel dolezal and shaun king and beyonce

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if feminists are done being an embarrassment to the left?
*reads OP*

Well gently caress.

Here is an article worth reading that explores the ideological divide between feminists/social justice types an normies.
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/29371/im-free-speech-absolutist/

Sethex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2016

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
It's gone too far. It's all gone too far

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm white and I think the color purple is cool!

Come get me bitch!

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
writing with colour :-) the emotional codex of alt lit autism support :D

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Here's a tip for all you white males: every time i need to wrote from the perspective of a woman of color, i simply adopt a persona of a woman of color, and nobody ever calls me on it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
An extreme overreach based on white people writing minorities or others as tokens or to hijack their own "enlightenment" when if you can write well rounded characters who gives a poo poo

Just maybe don't have a black guy who is the only character with a dialect in his dialog

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

An extreme overreach based on white people writing minorities or others as tokens or to hijack their own "enlightenment" when if you can write well rounded characters who gives a poo poo

Just maybe don't have a black guy who is the only character with a dialect in his dialog

Sheeyut

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Can we all be real for a moment, just for one second, to talk about something important?

I've never actually heard the word pilloried before.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Naerasa posted:

Can we all be real for a moment, just for one second, to talk about something important?

I've never actually heard the word pilloried before.

it means locked up in stocks in the village square so everyone can rape you

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe
i lost my pregnancy weight in a month via starvation :D

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Pillory is the hand stocks. Technically the stocks are for your feet but it's easier and cooler to say stocks

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

MiracleWhale posted:

good times

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Go figure the author would give a poo poo "well iuhh technically t that's a pillory" (my phones autocorrect really wants that to be pullout)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Identity politics are a bourgeois distraction

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MiracleWhale posted:

holy loving #problematic

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

People should be able to voice their views! :911:

People should be able to voice their views? :confused:

People shouldn't be able to voice their views! :mad:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like you would know a person's experience if you literally made up everything about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the n word 👮

• Locked thread